Author Topic: NY post article on Jonathan & Victoria "Rat Race"  (Read 3496 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
NY post article on Jonathan & Victoria "Rat Race"
« on: January 15, 2005, 01:40:03 AM »
RAT 'RACE'

By DON KAPLAN

January 13, 2005 -- 'AMAZING Race" bad- guy Jonathan Baker is getting more than he ever bargained for when he decided to become the show's most memorable villain.
Jonathan, 42, has been at the center of a reality-TV storm pretty much since he jumped out of the latest cast of competitors and developed a reputation as the meanest man on TV.

As the show has unreeled over the weeks, the drumbeat for Jonathan's head has grown louder among fans — and now he has begun to get word out through friends that he was only playing a part.

In fact, friends say, when the part got to be too much for him — the night he shoved wife Victoria Fuller in anger — he tried to quit the show. But producers talked him into staying in the race, telling him the series had "never had a character like him."

Jonathan has conceded to friends that it was originally his choice to "play" a villain on TV because it was a good way to stand out from the reality-show crowd.

Week after week, viewers have watched as Jonathan berates Victoria and taunts competitors.

It's all gone too far now, he tells friends, but Jonathan is restricted by the contract he signed with CBS from talking publicly about how the role-playing got out of hand. The fact that Victoria has been portrayed on the show as an abused spouse upsets Jonathan the most.

"If she hadn't been there [on the show], he would have owned the part [of the bad guy]," says one friend. "He would have been the most infamous character on reality TV ever.

"But how do you own a piece-of-s—t character like a wife abuser? At the end of the day, he's just hoping that the press doesn't crucify him," says the friend.

"They're not like that in real life," says actor Jimmy Van Patten, the son of "Eight is Enough" star Dick Van Patten, and a longtime friend of the couple. "Honestly, I've never heard him speak to her like that."

Van Patten fears he may have accidentally influenced Jonathan by mentioning that playing a bad guy is the best job in a TV show or movie.

"My father always said that the easiest role to play is a bad guy," says Van Patten. "It's the most interesting, the most fun and it's the easiest. Jonathan may have heard me say that or learned that from me because I've played a lot of bad guys and it is more fun."

"He played the game as hard as he could, did it all in fun and took it and himself too seriously," says another of Jonathan's friends. "But the people at CBS knew what they wanted and it's all heightened reality from a storyline.

"As much bad behavior as there was, there was an equal amount of good that didn't make it into the show," says the friend.

Meanwhile, on this week's episode, Victoria for the first time was shown getting in a few licks of her own when she taunted her husband for bobbling a challenge.

source~

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/38430.htm

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: NY post article on Jonathan & Victoria "Rat Race"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:08:57 PM »
okay maybe Jon is not at bad as they portray him...but he is choosing to "play" the bad guy and then worries what people will think.  Jon you are on national TV you will be protrayed the way you come across...a Jerk.  You love Vic, I am sure of that, but why  play a role that makes you abuse your wife?!?!??!  There are other bad guy roles.   *(^

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 03:17:23 PM »
more Jonathan stuff~

Q: Why is it that there isn’t nearly as much written about “The Amazing Race”?  I have occasionally seen articles, but there certainly isn’t the coverage that “The Apprentice” and “American Idol” receives.    —Heidi

A:Andy says: That’s a good question. While the series has always had its fans, it didn’t take off in the ratings until this past year, and it still doesn’t pull in the number of viewers that “American Idol” or “Survivor” do.   Plus, the series debuted on Sept. 5, 2001, and the events that followed six days later made a travel-focused show not quite as appealing to viewers and to the press as it might have been at another time.

But the lack of constant coverage might also have to do with that fact that, over its six seasons, “The Amazing Race” has been consistently engaging and compelling but in a nonabrasive way.

The game play is different than what we see in “The Apprentice” or “Survivor”; it’s not strangers backstabbing one another, but pairs of two racing against other couples. Teams just have themselves to blame when they come in last, and that doesn’t leave us with much to argue about after our heart rates slow down at the end of an episode.

This season, though, has definitely given journalists and fans something to write about, and his name is Jonathan. Who knew that just a few months after we got rid of “Amazing Race 5” jerk Colin that we’d be facing the most obnoxious “Amazing Race” cast member yet? Jonathan’s behavior this season has raised eyebrows, particularly the pattern of verbal and, once, physical abuse of his wife, Victoria. Jonathan’s behavior week after week has made him the center of attention.

All of the attention has prompted Jonathan to relentlessly break the time-honored rule that prevents reality TV cast members from talking until after they’re eliminated. He’s come up with a litany of excuses for what we’ve seen. First he told a newspaper it was the editing; later he posted to his Web site that his behavior was “a publicity stunt” but also “stress and obsession mix with medication for a sickness called Sarcoidosis.” After that, he told Access Hollywood it was simply “playing it over the top,” and now his friends say that he wanted to be a character, and he “tried to quit the show” when his “role-playing got out of hand.”

The show’s creator and executive producer even told the New York Post that he “had many conversations with” Jonathan and told him “to tone it down.” This all seems like awful foreshadowing, possibly damage control to soften us for a possible Jonathan and Victoria win. At the very least, all of this controversy has brought the show some new attention, even if it is negative.

Gael says: From a TV watcher's point of view, I love "The Amazing Race" (though this season did come too quickly on the heels of the last one. Left to my own devices at home, I'd rather watch a mediocre episode of "TAR" than the best episode of "Idol."

From a TV editor's point of view, I know from researching hit counts and watching our e-mail boxes that a story on "Idol" or "The Apprentice" will pull in ten times the amount of hits and feedback as a story on "Race." That doesn't mean we won't do those stories when appropriate, as with Andy's feature on Jonathan's shove of Victoria or this recent Associated Press story on Gus and Hera, but it does mean that we'll be judicious with our planning. We just can't write about every show every week. Thanks for understanding.

Gael Fashingbauer Cooper is MSNBC.com's Television Editor. Andy Dehnart is a writer and teacher who publishes reality blurred, a daily summary of reality TV news.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6835303/

Offline HaydennAaronFan

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • *Hayden and Aaron, the #1 team on the race*
    • Hayden!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 12:12:48 PM »
Kewl, awesome, thanks for the article puddin =]/

The producer must have really gotten mad at Jonathon, probably thought it made bad t.v. for him to be doing that kind of thing, and most people did think it was rude that noone did anything about it and let him push Vic around and hurt her.. :(*8

See you around :<(
Hayden n Aaron #1 Team on The Amazing Race 6!

Amazing Race 7 Picks:

Megan and Heidi
Ron and Kelly
Rob and Amber
Greg and Brian

Survivor Picks:

Kim and Stephanie (Sorry Jeff , Too bad lose)!!