Author Topic: Lori & Bolo Stake Claim to first , Gus and Hera Gone/ recap  (Read 4382 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Lori & Bolo Stake Claim to first , Gus and Hera Gone/ recap
« on: January 05, 2005, 12:22:58 AM »
Lori & Bolo Stake Claim to first  , Gus and Hera Gone
After beginning the leg with a seemingly insurmountable deficit, married pro wrestlers Lori & Bolo battled back in Budapest to claim both the Fast Forward and the first-place victory. Along the way, tensions rose when a gate came crashing down on Freddy and Hera's head in a dash for a Route Marker, causing Freddy to rage at his competitors. The incident at the gate started a bad day for both engaged models Freddy & Kendra and father and daughter Gus & Hera, both fighting to stay out of last place. In the end, Freddy & Kendra edged out Gus & Hera, who became the fifth Team eliminated from THE AMAZING RACE.

CATCHING UP
While Lori & Bolo remained stranded in a train station in Eger, the other six Teams enter the Net Klub Internet Cafe at 10 pm. Logging onto an AOL account, the Teams discovered they must travel three miles by taxi to the Heritage Rail Museum. Once there, they would have to ride a draisine, a small motorized rail car, down the tracks at speeds up to 50 miles per hour to receive their next clue.

As the six Teams made their way to the museum, Lori & Bolo discovered a train to Hungary leaving at 2:55 am. The tired, disappointed pair arrived in Budapest as the other Teams made their way to hotels because the Heritage Rail Museum didn't open until 10:00 the following morning. In the early morning light, Lori & Bolo's frustration at finding the Net Klub Internet Cafe open turned to delight when they discovered that they had caught up with the other Teams at last. Arriving at the museum, Bolo told Lori, "This is where we run over everybody."

GATE-CRASHING
The next morning, the other six Teams arrived at the museum, now behind Lori & Bolo, who had camped there since 7 am. When the gate opened at 10 am, the frenzied dash to the cluebox caused an accident when the gate came crashing back down, hitting both Hera and Freddy on the head. In the rail yard, Teams frantically searched for the Route Marker that would determine the order of riding the draisine. Spotting it together, Jon, Bolo and Adam fought over the numbers, knocking down the Route Marker in the process. In the melee, Bolo emerged with number one, while the injured Freddy, late to the scene, settled for number five, and the also-injured Hera drew the last number.

Enraged over the incident at the gate, Freddy yelled, "Who pulled the gate down? I want to know now!" When no one claimed responsibility, Freddy continued, "When I find out who pulled the gate down, it's somebody's ass!" Lori felt that Freddy was pointing the finger at her and Bolo, but she proclaimed their innocence as they had been well past the gate when it was pulled back down.

While Freddy continued to rage, Lori & Bolo took the first draisine down the train tracks. Reaching the end of the course, the married pro wrestlers opened their next clue to find the first of only two Fast Forwards on the entire Race. Teams trying for this Fast Forward had to enter a cavernous labyrinth at Buda Castle and get a taste of Hungarian folklore. Since Transylvania was once part of Hungary, Teams had to partake in the legend of the vampire and drink a goblet of pig's blood to win the Fast Forward. After starting the leg in last place, Lori & Bolo decided to take the Fast Forward as Lori exclaimed, "We got the lead. We got it now."

As Lori & Bolo sped off to the castle, dating actors Hayden & Aaron cruised in their draisine and opened their next clue to discover they must travel seven miles to Margit Island on the Danube River. Their next clue would be waiting outside the front entrance of the Hajos Alfred Nemzetisportuszoda. Hayden & Aaron watched their early lead to the Danube disappear when they could not find a taxi, allowing long distance dating couple Kris & Jon and formerly dating couple Adam & Rebecca to complete the draisine ride and find taxis ahead of them. Freddy & Kendra, already experiencing a tough morning, also had trouble finding a taxi and fell into last place behind Gus & Hera.

DIVE IN
Arriving first at the Hajos Alfred Nemzetisportuszoda, Kris & Jon opened their clue to encounter a Detour offering them a choice between "Swim" and "Paddle." Teams choosing Swim must make their way to an Olympic-sized swimming pool and participate in a water polo exercise. Working together, each pair must score a goal against a top Hungarian water polo player. While this task could be exhausting, Teams with quick hands could finish fast. Teams opting for Paddle must find a beach, inflate a raft with a hand pump and paddle the raft across the Danube to a flag on the other side. While this task didn't require Teams to master a skill, inflating the raft and navigating through the Danube's strong current could take some time.

Opting for Swim, Kris & Jon dashed to the pool, where a very surprised Jon realized he would have to don a pair of Speedos. As Jon walked poolside in his water polo attire, Kris commented, "Dude, my man is so unbelievably hot." Diving into the pool, Kris & Jon swam across from where the goalkeeper waited. Jon took the first shot, which was partially blocked by the goalkeeper, but with the ball still in play, Jon tipped it in for a score. Opening their next clue, Kris & Jon learned they had to travel three miles to the 100-year-old Gundel Restaurant to find the next Route Marker.

As Adam & Rebecca, Hayden & Aaron and married entrepreneurs Jonathan & Victoria completed the water polo Detour in quick succession, Gus & Hera opted to paddle across the Danube. After inflating the raft, Gus & Hera started their journey across the river, encountering some resistance. Gus chided his daughter, saying, "Honey, I need you to row harder than that." Hera replied, "It's hard, daddy!" Gus guided his daughter with the advice of using quicker, shorter strokes to fight the current, and the pair managed to paddle their way to the opposite shore now in sixth place, ahead of Freddy & Kendra, who completed the water polo Detour in last place.

DRINK UP
As the six Teams made their way to the Gundel Restaurant, Lori & Bolo, struggling with traffic and a lost taxi driver, finally arrived at the Buda Castle. The pair descended into the dark labyrinth, running through the stone corridors until they reached an area lit by candles, where a shadowy figure in a hooded robe handed them their goblets of pig blood. Without flinching, the hearty duo tipped back the goblets to earn the Fast Forward pass instructing them to travel to the next Pit Stop at Halaszbastya, also called Fisherman's Bastion, a monument to the fisherman who fought the Turks in the Middle Ages.

Running out of Buda Castle, Lori & Bolo ran through the cobblestone streets of Budapest to Fisherman's Bastion. Stepping on the mat in first place, Lori & Bolo were informed by host Phil Keoghan that they had earned a vacation to romantic Europe, compliments of American Airlines' website, AA.com. On their victory, Bolo remarked, "This goes to show you that never give up on this Race, no matter how long it takes, because we were in dead last place and now we're in first."

EAT UP
Arriving at the Gundel Restaurant in second place, Kris & Jon opened their next clue to find a Roadblock. In this Roadblock, one Team member had to eat a 24-ounce bowl of soup made with traditional Hungarian spices. While this seemed like a simple task, the soup was extraordinarily spicy. Once the Team member finished eating, the Team would receive their next clue. Jon sat down to his bowl of spicy soup and was soon joined by Aaron and Victoria, who was dealing with an agitated Jonathan, who insisted she wasn't eating the soup properly. This prompted Victoria to respond, "I'm going to stop until you shut up!" As Jonathan & Victoria continued their bickering, Jon finished his bowl of soup, keeping himself and Kris in second place. Opening their clue, Kris & Jon learned they must travel to the Pit Stop at Fisherman's Bastion.

As Kris & Jon sped away to the Pit Stop, Adam & Rebecca arrived at the Gundel Restaurant, and Rebecca sat down at the table with Aaron and a now-vomiting Victoria. While the noises coming from Victoria's end of the table caused Aaron to start throwing up, Rebecca sat down and steadily ate spoonful after spoonful with incredible precision, stunning Jonathan, Hayden and Adam. Nothing seemed to faze Rebecca, which prompted Adam to remark, "What a machine!" Within minutes, Rebecca finished her bowl, propelling her and Adam into third place. Soon Victoria managed to control her stomach enough to finish fourth, with Aaron close behind in fifth, leaving Freddy, who had just arrived with Kendra, at the table.

While Freddy struggled to eat his bowl of soup, Kris & Jon arrived at the funicular that would take them to the Pit Stop at Fisherman's Bastion. Jonathan & Victoria shared the same funicular, and the ensuing footrace to the Pit Stop put Kris & Jon in second place when Victoria's queasy stomach forced her to walk. As Adam & Rebecca rode a funicular and stopped to admire the beautiful view at the top, Hayden & Aaron snuck ahead into fourth place by taking the stairs up the hill to Fisherman's Bastion.

ELIMINATION
At the restaurant, Freddy stared at what remained of his bowl of soup and said, "So little, it seems like so far away." With encouragement from Kendra, Freddy finished his soup, and the engaged models headed for Fisherman's Bastion. At the same time, Gus & Hera arrived at the Roadblock, and Gus sat down to his soup. With the threat of elimination hanging over his Team, Gus ate with lightning speed and took off to the Pit Stop with daughter Hera.

Arriving at the base of Fisherman's Bastion, Freddy & Kendra took the stairs up to the top, while Gus & Hera opted for the funicular. In the end, Freddy & Kendra pulled through in the footrace to take sixth place, while father and daughter duo stepped onto the mat in last place. Phil informed Gus & Hera that they had been eliminated from THE AMAZING RACE. On her experience, Hera commented, "Coming on this Race with my father, I did hope to have a stronger relationship, and that I have achieved. The Race has definitely brought us closer." Gus agreed, "My daughter will always be my daughter, but now my daughter is my friend."
 :)_{}

source
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/show/ep07/index4.shtml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
'Amazing Race' Team Axed After Gate Crash
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 04:18:23 PM »
Posted on Wed, Jan. 05, 2005

DERRIK J. LANG

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Father-and-daughter duo Gus and Hera McLeod couldn't row, row, row a boat on CBS' "The Amazing Race" fast enough, making them the fifth team eliminated in the sixth edition of the race around the world.

Gus, 50, and Hera, 24, told The Associated Press Wednesday their downfall on the sixth leg of the race began when Hera was knocked in the head by an opening gate at the Heritage Rail Museum in Budapest, Hungry. All seven teams were gathered at the barrier in a melee to reach the next clue.

"I think I was in a state of shock," Hera told the AP. "I was dizzy and disoriented. And then we pulled the last number. All I could think was that we're in trouble."

Fellow competitor and model Freddy Holliday, who was also hit by the falling gate, accused the other remaining teams of pulling the metal gate down on him and threatened "one of you I will break in half."

"I was really upset," said Gus. "Here my daughter might have a concussion and Freddy is screaming about getting his face cut. I guess that's an incident for a model."

At the next challenge, the McLeods were the only team to choose paddling a boat on the Danube River instead of scoring a goal against a Hungarian water polo player.

"We had no idea that the national team was so terrible," said Hera. "They didn't block one shot. If I would have known that, I would've said, `Dad, put a Speedo on. We're playing water polo.'"

Gus called the decision not to don skimpy swim gear "one of the best things not to happen on national television."  :)*  And Hera said bickering entrepreneur couple Jonathan Baker and Victoria Fuller are quite different in real life.

"I must say I was shocked to see how they interacted with each other on television," said Hera. "That's not the Jonathan and Victoria I saw most of the time. She gives as much as she gets. You just don't see that, which is a shame."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/10572321.htm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Gus & Hera on the Early Show
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »
'Amazing Race' Duo Talks
 Play  Add To Playlist  E-Mail

A series of unfortunate events left 'Amazing Race' father-daughter duo Gus and Hera McLeod lagging behind. They talked about it on The Early Show.

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=amazing+race&sp-a=sp1001c63c&sp-k=Video&sp-p=all&sp-f=ISO-8859-1&sp-s=doc_date
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 04:42:53 PM by puddin »

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
Re: Lori & Bolo Stake Claim to first , Gus and Hera Gone/ recap
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 07:22:56 PM »
I think their demise was deciding to do the paddling. No one else attempted it! You should never do a stunt that no one else is trying! DUH!

Anyone know how big a lead L/B have? I know it doesn't matter, because there is usually a catch up point, but Lori really looked worn out.
Make it Idiot Proof and Someone will make a better Idiot.  :whip:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Lori & Bolo Stake Claim to first , Gus and Hera Gone/ recap
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 09:31:38 PM »
From the new previews it looks like a bunching ..again . Airport most likely.