Author Topic: Really, What Doomed "Woman Power?"  (Read 6247 times)

Offline Car84

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I love Reality TV
Really, What Doomed "Woman Power?"
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:18:04 PM »
Jeff asked Ami something along those lines.  She mumbled something about women not being used to sticking up for each other.  Blah, blah, blah.

To me, the answer is obvious.  Women (and men) are not defined solely by their standard equipment.  When it was Ami, Scout, Leann, Julie, Elisa, Twila, and Chris, it just oversimplified matters by assuming the women were all of the same mind.  Actually, it's kind of degrading.

Survivor is a game that is won by an individual.  And even if you are determined to engineer an all-female (or all-male) final four, someone has to be left out.  In large part, that is what Chris benefited from.  He didn't assert himself, and let the individual women play against each other.  No, it wasn't a sure thing for him.  But what happened wasn't, in my mind, surprising.

And no, Ami, it wasn't some unfortunate dysfunctional moment for women.

Riverrat

Re: Really, What Doomed "Woman Power?"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 08:56:50 AM »
I have thought about that several times. I wondered if they really thought they could ALL win or what. :\/  Leann said it earlier in the show, "We are gonna have to start voting off our own." Maening after the men were all gone. The others just looked at her like they had never even thought of that.

I think it's degrading for someone to tell another they will take them to the final four. Usually that person is so cocky he is gone first or, they forget to factor in the votes from the rest of the players. Oh well, I will keep watching and wondering why they do what they do. LOL

surviordude_JT

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 08:55:27 PM »
Do you think a womens allience will ever hold together

Riverrat

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:43:59 PM »
I can't see it happening. Shoot Sarge was even ready to vote Rory off so, I don't think it's just the women. First impressions aren't always the best and there you are stuck with an alliance that is probably gonna screw you unless you make some changes. Then the others are gonna screw you if you do. LOL Either way, you're gonna get screwed.  :)*

surviordude_JT

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 10:08:44 PM »
True that river  :()()

Offline Cecil

• RFF Full Member
  • I love Steph!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 10:33:17 PM »
I think Women power was doomed once they decided to vote Eliza out before Chris.  As soon as that happened it meant the womens aliance was broken up and everything was fair game.
The Best Aliance in Survivor History!!!!

RFF's number 1 Steph LaGrossa Fan

Riverrat

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 11:48:25 PM »
Maybe even before that when Ami insisted that Lisa be voted off instead of Rory.  ?:)?

Offline Cecil

• RFF Full Member
  • I love Steph!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 04:27:35 AM »
Yeah I think you may be right there. 
The Best Aliance in Survivor History!!!!

RFF's number 1 Steph LaGrossa Fan

Offline amikino

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 12:09:52 PM »
Jeff Probst always says that if you study John Nash and his game theory, particularly the game Hex, you can win at Survivor. 

The main purpose of game theory is to consider situations where instead of agents making decisions as reactions to exogenous prices ("dead variables"), their decisions are strategic reactions to other agents actions ("live variables"). An agent is faced with a set of moves he can play and will form a strategy, a best response to his environment, which he will play by. Strategies can be either "pure" (i.e. play a particular move) or "mixed" (random play). A " Nash Equilibrium" will be reached when each agent's actions begets a reaction by all the other agents which, in turn, begets the same initial action. In other words, the best responses of all players are in accordance with each other.

Nash proved mathematically that this always occurs and that there is only one winner.  So, even if you decide to band together as "females" vs "males", you are doomed to fail as equilibrium is reached.