Author Topic: Survivor’s first axed lesbian tells all  (Read 7528 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Survivor’s first axed lesbian tells all
« on: December 08, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »
Survivor’s first axed lesbian tells all (The Advocate 12.07.04)
She endured the wilds—and accusations of man-hating-—but lesbian Survivor contestant Ami Cusack couldn’t overcome an alliance gone wrong on the hit reality series

Survivor’s first axed lesbian tells all
She endured the wilds—and accusations of man-hating-—but lesbian Survivor contestant Ami Cusack couldn’t overcome an alliance gone wrong on the hit reality series
By Web Behrens
An Advocate.com exclusive posted Decemember 7, 2004

Although Survivor has featured a number of gay male players in seasons past, viewers hadn’t seen any out lesbian castaways until this season, which brought two gay women to a game suddenly rife with gender politics. By splitting the 18 players into two tribes-—one male, one female—producers set up the likelihood of segregated alliances, and at times both lesbians, Ami Cusack and Scout Cloud Lee, espoused plans for victory that relied on women only.

But cracks in their alliance ruptured on the Thanksgiving episode when three women teamed up with the lone remaining man. One week later—despite dominating Survivor: Vanuatu with her physical game and her mental maneuvering—Cusack, 31, was sent packing. Meanwhile, Lee, the oldest player on the show, looks like a lock for a "final four" spot and a key role, if not a victory, in the show’s finale on December 12.

Still, Cusack did very well for a player who says she’s never seen an episode of Survivor. She and her girlfriend, Crissy, had auditioned to be on The Amazing Race, but producers instead asked Cusack to be an island castaway. For a good while it had seemed like the Colorado resident would become the lesbian Richard Hatch—a smart, outspoken, abrasive leader who made as many detractors as admirers among the viewing audience. Having failed to win the title and the million bucks, Cusack must settle for a place in the Survivor Hall of Infamy with other controversial players like Jerri Manthey and Boston Rob. In the wake of her dismissal, Cusack spoke with Advocate.com about her ride on "reality" TV.

Now that you’re a Survivor celebrity, having been depicted as you were, how are strangers reacting to you?
You know what’s funny? Even though I was depicted as kinda being the villain, I’ve had a lot of positive feedback. When you meet me, you can tell I’m not a total haggard wench, and I don’t hate men, so a lot of people have been really supportive: "Oh, I was rooting for you the whole time." On the island, Eliza and I were talking about, "Who’s gonna be the villain?" And Eliza said, "Oh it definitely won’t be you. You’re too nice." And funny enough, here I am, this Wicked Witch of the Women.

Did it surprise you how you were depicted, after the editing?
They got me at my worst and at my best, and they just showed the worst parts. So it did surprise me, quite a bit.

It seems like there are two ideas about you going on. Some people on the show kept referring to you as "Queen" or "Princess," and there are other allegations of being a man-hater.
Yeah, I just think it’s funny. If they say I’m a man-hater, that’s mostly people—well, Sarge said it once, but as far as I know, that guy was joking, ’cause we’re really good friends. Yeah, I’m definitely a princess.

Was the show accurate to present you as the mastermind? Did you feel like you were calling the shots for most of the game?
I don’t know about all that. I was trying to make the most logical decisions I could, and I like to try to persuade other people. It wasn’t like I was sitting in my lab going, "Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha, they’re all going to die!"

You seemed like you were cruising to at least a "final two" position, but now here you are, five crucial spots away from the sole survivor title. Where did your plan go awry?
It went awry when I agreed with the other women that we should vote off Eliza. Big mistake. I didn’t want to vote for Eliza. We should have just stuck with our plan, voted off Chris [the last man in the game], and then went from there.

During the course of the game, did you ever lie?
I’m sure I told little bitty lies. But I never—no, actually, I don’t think I even did tell little bitty lies. I really don’t think I lied. Yeah. I’d love to have someone prove me wrong, because I don’t really remember one time that I told someone a lie.

Which is a fascinating strategy, to try that on Survivor. It rarely works, as you discovered.
No, it could have worked. I just needed to be a little bit smarter with how I did it. I got a little too confident in the show before last. I was already thinking about "final four" because we’d had it all planned out. But I could have kept it totally honest up till the end.

In addition to the obviously poor collective choice to vote prematurely for Eliza, there was also a moment where you telegraphed to Scout where she fell in the pecking order.
It wasn’t that she fell anywhere in the pecking order. I was happy with her being "final four," but she and I sat down and talked and said, "Let’s make sure we make it to the family visit." That was the only promise I made to Scout.

When you were voting for Scout in your last Tribal Council, you said: "When your true colors come out, you’re no part of any rainbow I’ve ever seen."
Right.

That’s an interesting comment, which might have gone over the heads of straight America, but lesbian and gay viewers caught a signal. Should the fact that you’re both lesbian have meant that you should’ve stayed an alliance?
The thing was, she had started strategizing with the guys long before. And she was the one who brought about the women’s alliance, and women power, and blah blah blah. And I’m like, "Well all right, that sounds like a good way to go." She switched so easily to the guys. She had long been planning to get rid of me.

So did the vote to boot you from the game feel like any more of a betrayal from Scout, because she’s also queer, than, say, from Twila?
I think Twila’s just as queer as I am, god bless her! [laughs] If she’s not, she should be.

Did you ever perceive any homophobia on the island from any other players?
No. I had heard that Lisa and Dolly were not too approving, but you’d have to ask them for sure. But everyone grows up in different places and aren’t familiar with different lifestyles. Nobody treated me badly because I have a girlfriend.

At what point did did you come out to the other women on your tribe?
I think it was on the second day that I said I had a girlfriend.

And when did you find out that Scout’s gay?
Probably a week later. She said she had a lot of respect that I would just blurt it out and not hold my cards closer.

That’s probably an interesting reminder about the effect of our movement on generations.
Yeah, definitely.

Tell me about your reaction when you watched the episode that aired on Thanksgiving, when you had your reunions with your loved ones on the island. Did you think it was odd that we never got to see you kiss Crissy or Scout kiss her partner?
No, I just thought, "This show isn’t ready for that. When they are, they’ll have ladies kissing each other." I didn’t think it was that big a deal. They didn’t show Chris and his fiancée kissing, I don’t think, either.

There’s a perception out there, in this post–Janet Jackson, postelection climate, that even a casual lesbian kiss is verboten. In fact, [Survivor producer] Mark Burnett told Entertainment Weekly that he wants to protect his franchise, that he "didn’t think it was right to show both lesbian kisses at 8 o’clock."
Well, whatever. I know how my life is. I don’t feel bad kissing my girlfriend anywhere. There’s no place I would feel uncomfortable kissing her. That’s more what I’m worried about than where everybody else feels comfortable.

How long have you and Crissy been together? Three years?
Almost four.

Congratulations.
Thank you.

Do you typically refer to her as your partner or your girlfriend or...?
My girlfriend. I think "my partner" sounds so weird.

Yeah, it’s a little business-y.
Yeah. She’s my girlfriend, and she’ll be my wife.

Behrens also writes for Chicago Tribune and Chicago magazine.

http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/929/929_survivor.asp

Offline drumstyx47

• RFF Full Member
  • Emilio says: Go check out Survivor: Second Chance!
Re: Survivor’s first axed lesbian tells all
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 11:38:38 AM »
uh... not to be picky, but that article says that sarge is still in the game.  ?:)?
i guess it meant chris, but it seemed to make a big deal that lee, the oldest male in the game, is a sure lock for the final four. whaaaaa?
"I stick around until they start talking about gay stuff or Jesus stuff, then i just walk away" -Rudy, on Tagi's group discussions

Offline tinampg96

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Reality TV is stressful.
    • ColumbusRacing
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »
It means Scout Lee, not Sarge Lea.
"The doctor told me to take up a stress-free hobby, so I started watching Reality TV. So much for doctor's orders."

Offline drumstyx47

• RFF Full Member
  • Emilio says: Go check out Survivor: Second Chance!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 05:14:44 PM »
oooooohhhhhhhhhh.
okie-dokie :)_|
"I stick around until they start talking about gay stuff or Jesus stuff, then i just walk away" -Rudy, on Tagi's group discussions

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 08:27:51 PM »
 :()()
So did the vote to boot you from the game feel like any more of a betrayal from Scout, because she’s also queer, than, say, from Twila?
I think Twila’s just as queer as I am, god bless her! [laughs] If she’s not, she should be.

:()()  :()()  :()() As I had thought all along!  :()() :()() :()()
Make it Idiot Proof and Someone will make a better Idiot.  :whip:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 09:18:30 PM »
 :()() your all too funny .. hey I just got a chance to read the article ..lets see

When you meet me, you can tell I’m not a total haggard wench,
Hey thats what I call Scout  **:)**
here I am, this Wicked Witch of the Women. 
Scout again ..muhahaha
Great article ..I think we will be seeing more of Ami  ;)

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 09:26:39 PM »
I think we will be seeing more of Ami  ;)

Hey, I just wrote my thoughts on this on another post. Do you know something?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 09:47:46 PM »
I'm going through the posts now chakeeta ..I don't know anything..just a hunch  ;D

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 02:49:00 AM »
Okay, let me know. I'll be waiting.  *()*