Author Topic: Step Down, Sarge~ Early Show Interview  (Read 3488 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Step Down, Sarge~ Early Show Interview
« on: November 12, 2004, 12:14:32 PM »
(CBS) His real name is Lea Masters, but "Survivor: Vanuatu" fans know him as Sarge. He says he was booted out of the game in Thursday’s episode because of his physical strength.

When he won the immunity challenge in the previous week’s episode, Masters told co-anchor Julie Chen on The Early Show Friday morning, “I laughed at everybody. And so when I finished,I shook my head and I said, ‘You just screwed up.’"

The South Carolina drill sergeant spoke in military terms of the game, as well as the strategy of the former Lopevi tribe. His colleague, Chris, was the linchpin in the vote that ousted him, Masters said. “He knew I was gone, so he wanted to keep it on a level base so he could come from behind maybe later on and stab them in the back for me, you know, out of respect. I got them. They got you, I got them. We’re a team. We won the war. Had casualties, but the war was won.”

Masters said he was not tempted to stab others in the back because no “Survivor” victory is worth compromising his principles: “Money doesn’t matter when it comes to your values because my character, the people I train, the soldiers I train, know that Drill Sergeant Master Sarge will not lie, will not give his word away, not for money, not for any amount of work.”

If it wasn’t about the money, why did he compete in “Survivor"?

“I did it,” he said, “because my son, every year, kept saying, ‘Dad, come on, that’s you, that’s you.’“

So, when tryouts came to his state capital, he said, he decided to try out so that his son would leave him alone. Instead, he was chosen as a contestant.

As the first member of the jury that votes for the winner, Master said he thinks Twila may emerge as the victor.

In Thursday's episode, Masters appeared to be repelled by what he called the "conniving" of the women. After the tribal council in which Rory got the boot, the men and the women returned to camp and sat on opposite sides of the fire in the hours of darkness.

The reward challenge was a quiz, a trivia game about Vanuatu islands. Each tribe member had three skulls, which would be lit on fire if another person targeted them. Whoever got the question right got to light one of the other member's cranium bones. When all three skulls of his were lit, that island dweller was out.

As expected, the women made quick work of the men. As Chris put it, it was "estrogen city."

The women, now cannibalizing themselves, turned quickly to assassinate the other females. Everyone felt a sting of betrayal.

Leann won the challenge and picked Julie to go picnicking with her. First up was a helicopter ride to the top of a dormant volcano for a breathtaking view. Then came a feast of champagne and chicken wings. Though the combination doesn't sound terribly appealing to either the taste buds or the digestive tract, both women were very excited.

In between sucking chicken bones and licking greasy fingers, Julia and Leann discussed tactics. Julie said she'd be faithful. But given her track record with trust, it can't be said whether or not she will keep her word.

After the challenge, the men saw cracks in the structure of the femme-faction. Eliza and Scout made it clear that they despise each other, giving the men an opportunity to strike back.

While the men were away, Julie and Leann smuggled back several pieces of chicken for their female colleagues. The men received only bones – unaware that the women had all ready gnawed off the meat. The women cackled among themselves as the men gratefully picked through their second-hand bones.

On her way to get tree mail, Eliza found a pig tied up. Eliza walked back to the beachhead dragging the screaming pig behind her. The squealing cacophony wasn't appreciated and some argued in favor of eating the pig. But Sarge began to develop a bond with it.

For the personal immunity challenge, the contestants were given wooden puzzles with painted pieces. Contestants had a certain amount of time to mimic different configurations shown them by host Jeff Probst. All three men were knocked out in the first round, undoubtedly because they were unused to trying to memorize colors and playing memory games. Ami triumphed.

Then it was a last-ditch scramble by the men to break up the women's alliance, which outranked them 6-3. Sarge put the screws to Twila, who admitted that she had gotten along better with the men.

But when the votes were read, it was another man who handed over his torch.

By William Vitka
©MMIV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/11/earlyshow/series/survivor/main655192.shtml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Step Down, Sarge~ Early Show Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 11:49:02 PM »
Highlights of Lea "Sarge" Master's
Early Show Interview

Julie Chen: Sarge was once the leader of the all male Lopevi Tribe but last night on Survivor: Vanuatu he was the latest casualty on the female dominated game. His real name is Lea Masters but Survivor fans know him as "Sarge". Sarge, good morning.

Lea: Good morning, how are you doing?

Julie: I'm good. We're you surprised when your flame was snuffed out last night?

Lea: Overall, I wasn't, I had it coming. In the Immunity Challenge the week before I lapped everybody. When I finished, I shook my head and I said, "you just screwed up".

Julie: You mean you revealed to the rest how strong a player and a threat and that's why you got the boot?

Lea: I think it is because from the beginning I never gave 100% of my physical strength. I run 5 miles a day, I do 100 pushups I do 25 mile marches. I laid back but when the adrenaline started pumping on the Immunity Challenge last week, I just went balls to the walls. And just went. And when I turned around I said "oh my God, I got 3 and they got 2. I messed up.

Julie Chen: Watching at home it looks very much like it's the women vs the men but then last night at Tribal Council, you 3 men all voted differently. You wanted Eliza out, Chris voted you out, what was that all about. He actually said "this is not against you but for you.

Lea: I think with Chris, he knew there was no way he could change the vote... so he did not want to throw another name out there and have them looking around and see 3 people voting against women. He knew I was gone so he wanted to keep it on a level base, so he come behind maybe later on and stab them in the back for me, out of respect. You know, "hey I got 'em. They got you, I got them. We're a team. We won the war. We've got casualties but the war was won".

Julie: What about the fact that Chad voted for Julie? Didn't you guys try to strategize at all. You knew you were a lost cause?

Lea: I knew I was a lost cause in a way. I was asked by everyone, "why don't you do something?". Why don't you try to put some knives in some backs? I told them from day one, my word and my values are far stronger than any money. Money doesn't matter when it comes to your values because... my character... the people I train, The soldiers I train know, that Drill Sergeant Masters, Sarge, will not lie, will not give his word away, not for money, not for any amount of worth.

Julie: Why did you take part in Survivor? It wasn't about the money you say.

Lea: No, money had no ob... I mean I'm two years from retirement. I have a 20 year marriage with a beautiful woman, my wife Lupe. I did it because my son, every year kept saying "Dad come on that's you, that's you." I'd say "Chris I don't have time for that. I'm training soldiers, I don't have time for that." And then one day he said "look they're here, they're in Columbia. Go down there please, I dare you, you're chicken" So I went down there with my little get up for the casting call and I got a phone call. I was shocked.

Julie: Last night as we're watching Survivor at home, we see Leann and Julie go on this helicopter ride. They bring back chicken wings for all the women, you guys are off in the water in a boat and then they gave you guys just chicken bones. Was last night as you're watching this... the first time you're finding out that you guys got the bones and they got the meat?

Lea: Yeah, last night was the first time I realized, hey I got stuck with bones, they got meat but as life goes on, I'm grateful for what I can get. That's who they are. And I don't think it was Leann. I think it came straight from Julie.

Julie: But you're on the jury, so you have the last laugh. If it's any guess who do you think has what it takes to win?

Lea: I think Twila.

Julie: We'll see.

Lea: I think Twila.

Offline WENDY

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • One day..... I Will Outlast, Outwit & Outplay
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »
I am so mad about Sarge leaving! He was one of those guys you just have to love.... He kind of reminded me of Big Tom, the way he flirts and he is just a free spirit... He was the only one I really even like.. I mean, I did have respect for Chris until he stabed Sarge in the back... I am just glad we haven't seen the last of Sarge! :)*
Wendy Jean

SURVIVOR 11- HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 12:57:10 AM »
Thanks for posting both articles Puddin.  I was sad to see Sarge go but like he said,he showed them how strong he was.  I just found it amusing that both he and Twila had machetes and were ready to kill the pig when Eliza brought it back.  And then when he was describing how he could taste the pig.  He made me laugh.  He was definitely a good competitior to watch and root for.   :)_|

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 07:47:30 PM »
That was funny BathFizzy.. :)* I wonder what his wife and famliy thought about his flirting and getting Nekkid  ?:)?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 11:25:04 AM »
Surviving ‘Survivor’

‘Sarge’ back from the war

If he had “Survivor: Vanuatu” to do over again, Lea “Sarge” Masters, a Fort Jackson drill sergeant and Columbia resident, might do things differently to try and be the last man standing instead of the ninth one voted off.

He might have formed an alliance with some of the younger guys instead of the older ones. He might have struck a deal with Julie instead of Twila. And he definitely would have lost the first individual immunity challenge instead of winning it in grand style.

“That was one of the dumbest things I ever did in my life,” Masters said. That made him a threat and thus a marked man to the other survivors. He knew he was stronger physically than the others, but smartly “didn’t show it in the beginning.”

Masters, 40, is back in Columbia and back at work but returns to New York for the final live episode when he along with six other jurors choose the $1 million winner of “Survivor: Vanuatu.”

Meanwhile, we quizzed him on his experience:

How did an Army sergeant get time off to do this show?

I was a drill sergeant for four years and had no vacation. I had 2½ months saved up and when I asked higher-ups about doing the show they said that would be great.

You said your son Chris (an 18-year-old senior at Richland Northeast) wanted you to try out for the show.

Yeah. But he wouldn’t go with me to the casting call. I put my little drill sergeant get-up on and he wouldn’t go. I said, “You told me to get crazy.”

The survivors on “Vanuatu” seemed to fare better physically than survivors on previous shows, who seemed to be hungry most of the time, eaten up by insects and at the mercy of a fierce sun or pounding rains.

The big problem was the coral. The ground is all coral and the coral sliced up your shoes and chewed up your feet. I got a coral infection when it sliced up my leg. It was infected all the way up to the hip. They asked me if I wanted out of the game but I wasn’t going to quit. (After he was voted off, Masters received antibiotic treatments for a few weeks.) I have scars now.

What do you take away from this experience?

It was Civilian Life 101. My friends are all soldiers. Every day I deal with soldiers. I had to learn that not everybody lives a disciplined life. I’m going to have a big challenge when I separate from the military. (“Survivor”) helped me prepare for my future. (Masters enlisted in 1986.)

Are there any survivors you would enjoy as friends?

Chris and Chad and Julie even. She’s a high-spirited person.

Did your wife give you a hard time when you took a dare and flashed some derriere while sunbathing?

That was a joke. She laughed her head off when she saw it. We’ve been married 20 years. She knows I was playing a game.

Were friends and colleagues at Fort Jackson watching?

Everybody has been supportive. Probably 50 to 80 percent of them never watched it. No one has time. But they set their VCRs and they’d shoot me e-mails.

On the CBS morning show, you (said) Twila might have a good chance of winning. Are you sticking with that?

No. I just said what came into my head at the time. Julie could do well. I’ll be watching to see what they have to say. There’s a lot of anger going on now and it’s going to get ugly. Scout doesn’t like Eliza.

— Pat Berman

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 01:38:28 AM »
Good article.  I am sure Sarge's wife got a good laugh when she saw his white butt blurred on national tv.  I am sure he will be razzed for quite a while.