Author Topic: The QUEST RETURNS!  (Read 8448 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
The QUEST RETURNS!
« on: January 29, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-quest-disney-plus-reality-maze-meet-chimps-pixar-1203484822/

Disney Plus is reviving “The Quest,” a critically acclaimed but short-lived fantasy reality series that aired on ABC in summer 2014. Casting is under way for a new version of the series, which will now focus on teenage contestants.

“The Amazing Race” executive producers Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri are back as executive producers of “The Quest,” and they’re also behind “The Maze,” a competition series in which teams must solve puzzles and figure out clues through European cities, much like a real-life escape room.

The four projects were announced Wednesday at the Realscreen Summit in New Orleans. “These projects take people on epic adventures, immerse them in fantastical worlds and shine a light on extraordinary people and creatures, which are all important benchmarks of our Disney Plus nonfiction content philosophy,” said Agnes Chu, senior VP of content for the streamer.

The original “The Quest” production team is all back for the show’s revival, including New Media Collective’s van Munster, Doganieri and Mark Dziak (“The Amazing Race”), Court Five’s Mark Ordesky (“The Lord of the Rings”) and Jane Fleming; Scout Productions’ David Collins, Michael Williams, Rob Eric (“Queer Eye”).

The revival will once again be filmed at a castle outside Vienna, Australia, and mix a scripted storyline — with adult actors playing various roles in the fantasy world of “Everealm” — with the unscripted reactions and competition elements that come from the show’s teenage contestants. The players will use their knowledge from fantasy books, games and movies to compete in a world created via a mix of computer-generated effects, creature design and practical effects. Five years after the original, the producers said it’s now much easier to embed and incorporate technology into the show.

Van Munster (above) said he pitched Disney Plus on a “Quest” revival soon after the streamer was announced. “We’re going bigger on the scripted part,” he said. “It’s a high-end reality competition. The location is a beautiful castle outside Vienna, and the woodlands and lakes around it. Visually and story-wise, it’s much broader.”

Why teen contestants? Van Munster said the goal is for family viewing. “The original show got a tremendous reaction from teenage viewers,” he said.

Added Rob Eric, chief creative officer at Scout Productions: “’The Quest’ is a truly unique unscripted show as it takes contestants into a fully immersive world of magic and fantasy. There is no better partner than Disney+ for this type of enchanted storytelling.”

As for “The Maze,” the competition centers on five teams, each consisting of one adult and one teen relative, as they solve riddles and clues through European cities and “fairytale villages.” Eventually they’ll make their way to a final destination where the winning team solves the maze first. Dziak also executive produces with van Munster and Doganieri. “The Maze” will likely make it to air before “The Quest.”
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: The QUEST RETURNS!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »
Peach, I think you mean Vienna, Austria, not Vienna, Australia, because as far as I know, there is no Vienna is Australia!  :funny: :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »
I quoted the article as it was. The author has since corrected. Thought it was funny!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »
From the Quest Army Discussion:

The Quest filming has been moved to the US from the planned Austria.

Producer Jane Fleming "Can’t tell you details but it will be awesome."

Keep your eyes out for medieval looking castles!

Ideas??

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:38:05 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule: