Author Topic: TAR Australia 4: Tom & Tyler (Footy Mates)  (Read 1090 times)

Online BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • The best shows out there!
TAR Australia 4: Tom & Tyler (Footy Mates)
« on: October 22, 2019, 02:03:01 AM »

Tom & Tyler (Footy Mates) (Melbourne, Victoria & Gold Coast, Queensland)

Best mates Tom and Tyler have known each other for six years, having both played in professional and semiprofessional AFL.

While they may have kicked many goals on the sporting field, itís on The Amazing Race Australia where they really want to score that winning goal.

Thereís no doubt this pair have a physical advantage to help them through the race, but they admit their mental game is where they will clash the most.

Athletic, charismatic and ambitious, the boys plan on using their looks and charm to get them over the line when all else fails.
I enjoy ''The Big Three' Reality TV shows!

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Australia 4: Tom & Tyler (Footy Mates)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 02:04:11 AM »
Tom, 23

Whatís the best part of travelling with your teammate?
We share a similar mindset. We would rather push through a bad hangover and see the sights, than sleep in.
What do you think will be your biggest advantage or strength in the race? Our competitiveness. We have been born and raised to be competitive people throughout our football careers. And also, our physical capabilities.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Amazing Race Australia? Experience other cultures, learn more about myself and Tyler, and show people that thereís a world out there and you shouldnít be afraid to leave the nest (Australia).

Tyler, 23

What country or place do you hope to visit on The Amazing Race Australia and why? Switzerland. I have been seeing a lot of friends posting amazing photos from Switzerland these holidays and would love to see it first-hand. I also think there is a lot of cool challenge opportunities that could happen in an outdoorsy place like that.
Whatís the worst part of travelling with your teammate? Tom can be incredibly cheap, often he pulls out his wallet and there is dust flying off it because he hasnít opened it for days.
What type of people do you find it difficult to get along with? Confrontational people. Iím not great with people that stress the little things and tend to make a scene or make a problem out of nothing.

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:04:32 AM »
Saved for videos featuring Tom & Tyler!

Check back soon!

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 02:04:50 AM »
Saved!

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:21:32 PM »
They were first across the line at the very first pit stop of the season, but Tom and Tyler were very close to not even competing in 'The Amazing Race Australia'.

Speaking to 10 daily via phone, Tyler admitted the pair had applied for the show as a bit of a joke.

"Someone tagged us on Facebook and we thought it would be pretty funny if we applied," he said, "When they said they wanted us to go to casting we were like, 'Oh... Should we?'"

Tyler thinks the fact that the pair weren't completely prepared for the application process actually worked in their favour as they approached casting laid back.

That laid-back attitude continued up until the race kicked off, with Tyler also telling us that he and Tom hadn't done any formal prep for the race either.

"Nah, we didn't do one thing," he said, laughing, "I don't know how you can prepare for it. We had never watched the show before so we watched a few episodes [of the American version] to know what we had gotten ourselves in for."

The pair met when they were 18-years-old, Tyler moved from Sydney to Melbourne and the pair played football together. Since then they've become close mates, lived together, have previously travelled together and now are teammates on the race.

"We know how each other works," Tyler said, "It's like in football -- if I yell at Tom he's over in a couple of seconds. That's how it was in the race."

While there was friction among some teams as they attempted to navigate some of the challenges, Tom and Tyler remained a tight unit, with Tyler struggling to remember a time when the pair clashed.

"It was a really positive experience!"

The pair's footy background did make the experience... shall we say a tad competitive?

"I can definitely see red at times," Tyler admitted adding, "Yeah, the competition got to me. I was probably pulling Tom along a couple of times. We're both really competitive but... maybe me a little more than Tom."

Still, it meant the boys weren't too worried about the physical aspects of the race. In fact, there were very few aspects they were worried about at all.

"I think because we've both travelled and travelled cheap before, the planes weren't too much effort.  A lot of football camps you do, you're sleep-deprived and you work really hard," he said.

"We were prepared without being prepared. We didn't really get ourselves too stressed out going into it."

Here's hoping the boys have a winning strategy on their side.

'The Amazing Race Australia' airs Mondays and Tuesdays at 7.30 on Network 10 and WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191029enujr/the-joke-that-launched-the-footy-friends-on-a-global-adventure-20191029?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1572401496

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 10:10:48 AM »
Hands down, one of the best M/M Teams ever casted. Please win till the end!

Offline rph

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
Hands down, one of the best M/M Teams ever casted. Please win till the end!

I hope so :D - cant get enough of them during the show :)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »
Just 1 more win and they hold the most first places in a season ever. And the funny thing is, it's not as if they've gone into the race fixated on how many legs they'd win.

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 04:58:37 AM »
With eight out of ten wins under their belts, it seemed Tom Wilkinson and Tyler Roos were the unstoppable team, about to steamroll their way to the top prize.

What they didn't expect was their own alliance to be the one obstacle standing in their way of the $250,000.

In the second-last leg of the race teams landed in Thailand, but during their travels were asked to vote in secret for one team to U-Turn. Right before they took off, Jasmin and Jerome confided in Tom and Tyler, letting them know the alliance was still strong.

Unfortunately what was actually waiting for the boys was a blindside.

"It doesn't take a genius to work out what happened," Tom said to 10 daily following his and Tyler's elimination, "the other three teams started to play more strategically," he said, adding, "I guess friendship isn't worth $250,000."

Throughout the competition, Tom and Tyler were part of a strong alliance with Jasmin and Jerome, Viv and Joey and the recently eliminated Nick and Femi.

Tom and Tyler undoubtedly did their fair share of helping other teams, once they had completed certain challenges if they saw other members of the alliance struggling they'd give them an assist where they could.

As they continued to rack up wins, the other teams seemed more and more hesitant to do the same.

"We obviously were dominant for the first 10 legs of the race," Tyler said, "with these alliances that we supposedly had, we would have been unstoppable but the other competitors caught on that we were so dominant.

"Our gameplan going in from day one was to always be nice guys, help everyone out where we could and hopefully it would come back to save us but... it didn't end up that way," he said.

Having the winning streak that they did, the other teams had to decide to either stick with their alliance and risk going up against the unbeatable duo in the final leg, or betray Tom and Tyler in the hopes that it would get them closer to the prize money.

And while the U-Turn meant that Tom and Tyler had to complete both detours, they still managed to catch up to the other teams, in a nail-biter of a finish, arriving at the pit stop just seconds after Jasmin and Jerome -- and only minutes after Viv and Joey who were still standing on the sidelines having only just checked-in themselves.

Having the two teams that had backflipped on him and Tyler, Tom said it made it "a lot harder" having the four that voted to U-Turn them standing there watching them be eliminated.

"You're travelling with these people for three-four weeks, and especially Jasmin, Jerome, Viv and Joey we were particularly close," he said, "to see that relationship crumble in the space of an hour -- to all be standing at the pit stop together, it was such a contrast," Tom added.

The hardest part of the U-Turn wasn't that it happened, but how the other teams decided to go about it, Tom said.

"It was hard to see them lie about it," he admitted, "we would have preferred it if they had just come up and said it to our face. We were going to have to do the U-Turn regardless of if they lied to us or not."

Despite the alliance blowing up in their faces, Tom said if he had the chance over he probably wouldn't change much to the way he and Tyler competed in the race.

"We'd play a similar game, we'd still form alliances but maybe we'd be a little more cautious with who we helped and how much we helped them," he said. Thinking back to the few times he and Tyler helped strong competitors like Rod and Tim which 'came back to bite us in the ass', Tom said, "I think we may have been a bit too nice."

Following their time on 'The Amazing Race Australia', Tom and Tyler's names have been thrown into the ring for a few other reality shows. When the idea of 'Gogglebox' came up, Tom said he and Tyler had talked about becoming the nation's next couch critics.

As for the rumours of Tyler's hopes of becoming the next 'Bachelor', Tom chucked, "You might have to ask Tyler about that one."

'The Amazing Race Australia' grand finale airs 7.30 Tuesday, December 3 on Network 10 and WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191202xnwdh/tom-and-tyler-betrayed-by-their-own-alliance-narrowly-miss-the-final-leg-of-the-amazing-race-20191202?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1575284099

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »
It was painful to watch to see the boys go home.
Every M/M Team I root for never makes the finale, a majority of whom were eliminated in the penultimate leg and finish in 4th Place with exception of one who finished in 6th. Welcome to the club Tom & Tyler. Ugh.

Alex & Conor (US S.30)
Matt & Redmond (US S.29)
Tanner & Josh (US S.27)
Andy & Tommy (US S.19)

:groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
This was just as bed as having a Head to Head right before the Mat...ugh.

TAR should NEVER do a U-Turn on a Penultimate Leg. Nor allow people to U-Turn a team AHEAD of them!!! Double UGH.

:nono2:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »
We got another "Tyler who doesnt won"
Oh stop it probst

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
Rarely do I root for the teams who rack up the lion's share of 1st places, because often times they gain the cocky personality to go with it. Around the middle of the season, I realized Tom & Tyler weren't like that. They ran a genuine race, some of their wins were purely down to good luck being on their side.

I absolutely agree with Peach that a Final 4 U-Turn was a horrible leg design decision :( Seeing the social media pages, the Aussies ain't happy today, either.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:31:05 PM by Maanca »

Offline rph

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 01:30:25 PM »
im still not happy that they were eliminated this way!

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »
U-Turn on the Penultimate Leg. Yuck! Iím having flashbacks of Treasuri & Louisaís TAR Asia 5 Elimination. Same as the latter, Tom & Tyler were screwed by other teams for being too strong and the U-Turn. Bad leg design. TAR should never attempt at doing this again placing a U-Turn on the penultimate leg.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:20:12 PM by TARUSAFan »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »
It's great you brought up Treasuri & Louisa. It really was a similar situation. They only won 4 Legs, but were a dominant team and probably could have won it all in the end had they not be U-Turn and Yielded.

Both Treasuri & Louisa and Tom & Tyler were likeable teams that you didn't mind seeing win so much.

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 09:07:24 PM »
U-Turn on the Penultimate Leg. Yuck! Iím having flashbacks of Treasuri & Louisaís TAR Asia 5 Elimination. Same as the latter, Tom & Tyler were screwed by other teams for being too strong and the U-Turn. Bad leg design. TAR should never attempt at doing this again placing a U-Turn on the penultimate leg.

Talking about leg design, TAR 5 Final 4 was way worse than this leg because there were yield and U-turn, the U-turn was before the detour and also limited station at the detour. Impossible for a team to catch up. Tom & Tyler were able to jump to the 3rd place but i don't understand why they couldn't keep the lead at the Ganesh task 

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 11:16:13 PM »

Talking about leg design, TAR 5 Final 4 was way worse than this leg because there were yield and U-turn, the U-turn was before the detour and also limited station at the detour. Impossible for a team to catch up. Tom & Tyler were able to jump to the 3rd place but i don't understand why they couldn't keep the lead at the Ganesh task

It appears Tom & Tyler were trying to be very precise with the gold leafing while the other teams just slapped the stuff on. The judging was not strict at all. And to think they were only 3 minutes behind Viv & Joey! Pretty crazy. They probably could've survived if they weren't so meticulous with the gold leafing.

Online Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • GrÍmio FBPA
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »
Nice boys! I wouldn't cheer for them because i like the underdogs. But they're very nice people.

PS > They gave me the Andy & Tommy vibes. From the very first leg i knew they wouldn't win.
Freedom is a lonely road.