Author Topic: TAR Australia 4: Chris & Adrienne (Married Alphaca Farmers)  (Read 478 times)

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • The best shows out there!
TAR Australia 4: Chris & Adrienne (Married Alphaca Farmers)
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:24:29 AM »

Chris & Adrienne (Married) (South Australia)

After 30 years together, South Australian couple Chris and Adrienne haven’t faced an obstacle they couldn’t overcome. In fact, firefighter Adrienne charges full-steam towards obstacle courses like The Mud Run, True Grit and Tough Mudder. As the first female fire fighter in South Australia, Adrienne has been honoured with an Order of Australia Medal for her services to the community, charity and women’s affairs. When Adrienne isn’t tangling with flames, she’s helping Chris run their alpaca farm on Mount Compass.

Life as an international shearer and alpaca judge has seen Chris travel to South America, Asia and Europe, all with Adrienne by his side. A self-described family man, Chris is to receive an Australian Bravery Medal for his part in saving his 15-year-old daughter from a great white shark attack.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:35:42 AM by BourkieBoy »
I enjoy ''The Big Three' Reality TV shows!

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Australia 4: Chris & Adrienne (Married)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:25:54 AM »
Chris, 58

What’s the worst part of travelling with your teammate?
There isn’t a worst part. We have been travelling life’s highway for 30 years together. But I know she will mention my snoring has no escape.
What do you think will be your biggest advantage or strength in the race? I have had a great life with many experiences and achieved many things from being an Aussie rules footballer to shearing alpacas all around the world. I think my life experiences will give me a great advantage.

Adrienne, 59

What scares you most about traveling? Serious illness or injury without adequate medical support. And terrorism and war in general.
What excites you most about traveling? The opportunity for exploring places that are different and unique to what I have at home. Taking everything in, so you can truly experience the beauty of the location, the people and the culture.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:30:50 AM by BourkieBoy »

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 01:26:21 AM »
Saved for videos featuring Chris & Adrienne!

Check back later!

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 01:26:39 AM »
Alternative Cast Pic

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:31:20 AM by BourkieBoy »

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Australia 4: Chris & Adrienne (Married Alphaca Farmers)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 02:00:09 AM »
In October 2017, Chris Williams' daughter Sarah was kayaking at Lady Bay on Adelaide's south coast when a 4.5m great white shark bumped the boat, tossing her into the ocean.

Acting quickly, Chris and his son Mitchell sped towards Sarah, plucking her from the water as her feet grazed the shark's body.

Speaking to The Advertiser in August, Mitchell said it was a miracle that the engine of the tinny he and his dad were in started on the first pull.

Chris, meanwhile, remembered the milliseconds he and Mitch had to act. "Other people wouldn't have responded quite so quickly," he told 10 daily, "and I hate to think of the other option if we hadn't," he said, adding, "We try not to think about that aspect of it."

Chris and his wife Adrienne are one of the eleven teams competing in the upcoming season of 'The Amazing Race Australia', battling to win the $250,000 prize.

"We can be sitting down at dinner sometimes and Adrienne and I will look at each other and go "we still don't know how we ever got out'."

While Chris and Adrienne were filming 'Amazing Race', Mitch received word that he and his dad had received a commendation for brave conduct by the Governer-General.

"That was a good thing," Chris said, "it meant [Mitch] -- rather than being the son of Chris and Adrienne -- was the one in the limelight," he said.

Chris and Adrienne will have their own fair share of the limelight when 'The Amazing Race' kicks off on October 28, with the Alpaca Farmer and his firefighter wife tackling the intense challenge together.

"Put it this way," he told 10 daily, "I've had people from all around Australia -- and even around the world -- seeing the promo of my camel experience."

"You haven't seen anything yet," he promised.

"Adrienne and I are both crazy, we like doing things that challenge us, doing things people normally wouldn't think about doing," he said. "We're not scared, and we've always been that way.

"I suppose that goes a long way to answering how we've stayed together for 30 years. When you have a life that you and your partner are prepared to do something and be challenged, it becomes an adventure."

While Adrienne's job keeps her fighting fit -- and her love of competing in obstacle course challenges like Tough Mudder and True Grit -- Chris said he may have left a little to be desired in the fitness side of preparing for the race.

"As far as body and strength, I'm pretty fit with the animals and the farm," he said, "you're always doing a lot of things. But aerobically fit... I should have been a little more as far as running-wise."

Chris also said the physical aspect wasn't the only strain the pair felt on the race.

"It's the stress of not being able to work out a clue, the not knowing if you're first or last. You could get a bad taxi and then all of a sudden, you're last," Chris said.

"You don't know that until you hit that mat at the end of the day. There is no way of preparing yourself."

The Amazing Race Australia' will premiere Monday, October 28 at 7.30 on Network 10 and WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191024akxdb/the-amazing-races-alpaca-farmer-remembers-saving-his-daughter-from-a-great-white-20191024?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1571985598

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 01:07:35 PM »
I really really like them. :2hearts:
"The Amazing Race shows the best and worst out of you. But if only negative things are shown, then it's probably you. - Jobby"

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »
During the incense challenge, a throwaway comment by Chris, the alpaca farmer, raised a few eyebrows.

Teams had to bundle two kilos worth of incense and neatly deliver them nearby. Before the challenge, Adrienne asked Chris if he thought he could estimate two kilos by feel alone.

"Do you know exactly, when you're doing alpaca meat, how much two kilograms feels like?" Adrienne asked her husband.

"Did she just say 'meat'?" everyone at home asked themselves.

Following their heartbreaking elimination due to camel-related injury, Chris spoke to 10 daily to clear things up.

"We started the meat business about seven years ago," the farmer said. "We have a herd of roughly 1500 animals, so we have probably 500-600 babies every year. We probably only sell 10 or 20 percent of the boys."

The problem for Chris then became what to do with the rest of his male alpacas. "When they become two and three years old we process them -- they've had a nice life for three years. We get them up to a good weight then we'll put them into all of our meat products."

"We had to do something," Chris went on, explaining that alpacas can live for up to 20 years. "So, all of a sudden we could have a very large number of old male alpacas that aren't producing a good enough fleece for us to cover the cost of shearing.

"It's just the next step in sustainable farming," he added.

Chris says they produce a range of small goods, "from sausages to burgers and all of our prime cuts". Selling at farmer's markets every week, Chris also delivers directly to restaurants.

But is there a growing appetite for alpaca?

"Very much," Chris said, "The difficult part is to get people to stop and try it because they've had no contact with alpacas but they see them as such a cute, cuddly animal."

According to Chris, once people get over their reservations for eating alpaca, they're almost instantly converted.

One farmer told the ABC in 2013 that he was unable to export his alpaca meat because local demand was so high.

"Generally once people try it they then become regular customers because the meat is so nice and good for you," Chris told 10 daily.

Alpaca meat is reportedly very high in iron and protein and incredibly low in fat and cholesterol. Due to the limited amount of meat harvested from each animal, alpaca meat is a byproduct of culling, as Chris explained, but Modern Farmer described the meat as a great alternative to beef and pork.

The Australian Alpaca Association also says the meat is environmentally sustainable, as "most parts of the alpaca can be used". With the second-largest alpaca market in the world, Australia is actually leading in the international market when it comes to the production of alpaca meat.

So, there you go. If you're keen to give it a try maybe we'll make a day of it. You bring the steaks and alpaca picnic basket.

'The Amazing Race Australia' Airs Mondays And Tuesdays From 7.30 pm, Only On 10 And WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191112rzkls/amazing-race-australia-theres-an-appetite-for-alpaca-according-to-chris-20191112?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1573608547

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:25 PM »
Initially falling behind the other teams, Chris and Adrienne managed to claw their way back into the middle of the pack until they met a very unruly camel, spelling disaster for the pair.

Ahead of three other teams, the alpaca farmer and firefighter looked to be safely heading into the next leg of the race, but their camel had other ideas.

"Adrienne picked the biggest camel because I'm a fairly big guy," Chris told 10 daily via the phone.

"He was not a particularly pleasant camel, he was complaining before I hopped on."

"Basically he didn't want me to ride him," Chris added explaining that once they got into a steady pace, things seemed to be going fine.

"Sid and Ash and Tom and Tyler come running down the hill with their camels, and we were probably three-quarters of a kilometre in front of them and they caught up very quickly running," he said.

Seeing their place in the race threatened, Adrienne attempted to hand her backpack to her husband to free her up to run the rest of the way to the pit stop.

"As she's passing up the backpack," Chris said, "the camel pig rooted, like a horse would pig root, and caught me off-balance."

Hitting the deck, Chris said the wind was completely knocked out of him -- and in his attempts to catch his breath he initially didn't realise the extent of his injuries.

"I then knew I had done some damage to my ribs," he said.

Because teams were deep in the dunes of the Mongol Els, Chris and Adrienne had to get a bus -- what Chris called the "bus ride from hell" -- to the closest hospital.

A doctor told Chris he had broken two or three ribs, performing an X-ray to make sure he hadn't done any worse damage.

"I'm still suffering with it. I still can't roll over in bed -- I've only just started sleeping on my side and if I try to take a full breath of air I still get pain down my left-hand side of my ribs.

"I've still got a stiff neck from whiplash, so you know, I can't do any manual labour," he said, "life is certainly not back to normal. I've still got a way to go."

Aside from the camel mishap, Chris said he and Adrienne loved their race experience.

"I would do it again in a heartbeat," he said -- adding the caveat that any future adventures would have to omit any green rice.

"I could hardly chew for the next three or four days," he said of the eating challenge that saw him creating a cocktail of cốm (new green rice) and Vietnamese coffee at the bottom of a bucket during the Ninh Binh leg.

"I think I had to drink eight cups of coffee," he said, "that was the only moisture you could get, this coffee, just to try and swallow it.

"When we got to the pit stop, Adrienne was worried about how much coffee that I drank -- that my heart rate wasn't going crazy!"

While it must be tough for Chris and Adrienne's exit to be so out of their control, Chris said their biggest issue is the FOMO they're getting seeing what some of the other teams got up to in the legs they didn't make.

"Watching [the teasers] we're feeling a bit of envy and sadness that we didn't get to do some of the skydiving or bungee jumping or whatever," he said, "so maybe we'll have to try to put our hands up again and try to do it all again."

"The race never beat me, it was the camel, so maybe they'll have to hand me a wildcard entry."

'The Amazing Race Australia' Airs Mondays And Tuesdays From 7.30 pm, Only On 10 And WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191111xhfuv/the-race-never-beat-me-it-was-a-camel-chris-is-still-recovering-from-his-amazing-race-injury-20191111?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1573608547