Author Topic: TARC 7 Episode 5 LIVE SHOW UPDATES and DISCUSSION THREAD!  (Read 10257 times)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
TARC 7 Episode 5 LIVE SHOW UPDATES and DISCUSSION THREAD!
« on: July 30, 2019, 09:33:39 AM »
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

If you are unable to watch LIVE yourself, please be aware that this thread WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS, so proceed at your own risk.

This thread will contain OUTCOME Spoilers as seen on the SHOW.

Canadians, PLEASE help update as the show unfolds!

If you can help, then PLEASE DO!!!
Many of us will be counting on you until we can watch later. We hope everyone will join in the fun!!

Also,  if you are watching anything but the CTV feed, it is your responsibility to be sure you are not ahead of us if you want to post/update in this thread.  If you are in the easternmost Canadian provinces you could be ahead of us watching on EST.

SO PLEASE ** NO  OUTCOMES ** to be posted before the show is done airing East Coast time!  And NO FUTURE LEG SPOILERS either!

Otherwise, come watch with us for the best weekly viewing party in town!! :party:

And you can entertain yourself with our spoiler threads as well while you wait!

Have FUN everyone and THANK YOU for joining us!!

NO POSTING BEFORE 8:40 P.M. Eastern, PLEASE!!!

LIVE Streams for members in the Usual Place. If you are not a member please register and then ask me or any of the mods for help. Keep in mind it can take up to 12 hours to get registered.

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARC 7 Episode 5 LIVE SHOW UPDATES and DISCUSSION THREAD!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »
Teams fly from Yellowknife to Vancouver
4 flights to Nanaimo
1) Arthy/Tanesh
2) T/A & J/A
3) J/L & S/S
4)D/I & M/M

Irina very stressed to be last.

They must go to a parc to get Dora the explorer bag and next clue

First route info:
One teammate must bungee and the other goes on a tandem swing. Must memorize the Nanaimo bar receipt

Speed bumb: T/A must assemble a whale skeleton

Route info: find 4 different kind of clams

Roadblock: go in a cave and find 11 letters, to assemple the next pitstop

Teams that took the clam penalty: Everybody except Sam/Sam...
A/T and J/A are still there, the others took a penalty.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
That Star article didn't lie. So many penalties =/

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:48:16 PM »
One of the moms finished first!
Dave copied her board, so she was pretty pissed about that

Sarah/Joanne are working together, they got it (S/S are the only one without a penalty)

As of now: 9h46:

- Aarthy/Tinesh and James/Anthony are finishing the clam route info
- Megan/Marie (Penalty) are at the roadblock
- Joanne/Lauren (Penalty) and Sam/Sarah just left the roadblock
- Amy/Trish (Penalty) and Dave/Irina (Penalty) are going to the pitstop

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:55:57 PM »
Aarthy/Tinesh are done!! But they are helping J/A because they dont think anyone who didn't give up should be out.
James/Anthony are now also done.

Trish/Amy are first a pitstop, but must wait 2 hours
Sam/Sarah second, but in reality first
Dave/Irina third, but must wait 2 hours
Joanne/Laurent are fourth, but must wait 2 hours

Megan/Marie are still at the roadblock and have a penalty...they are toast

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 08:59:12 PM »
James and Anthony guessed it before even coming  because he lived there
They stayed at the roadblock for 2 mins

Both teams arrived at the mat at the same time.
Both are teams #2

Megan/Marie got the clue.

All teams to the mat now.

T/A are teams #4
D/I are teams #5
J/L are teams #6
M/M are last and eliminated

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 09:02:15 PM »
Show content
Next week
Saskatchewan, challenge in a mine? Dance/Singing challenge, a giant maze
And then some airport drama showdown, Aarthy tells Irina she is disrespectful and Irina mocks her... things are getting nasty

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »
It was a good leg, but felt really rushed.
I like that teams got separated right at the start in Vancouver.
But this start of the leg felt like a copy of last year, when teams left the north to go to Vancouver Island, and sign up for 4 planes.

First place was a set up for the rest of the leg with the bags, as there was a lot of useful things in it (Gloves for the clam challenge, Nanaimo bars, a bone for Trish/Amy's speedbump, the carrots that made James think of goats on the roof before he even started the roadblock).

The Bungee/Swing task was great because the memorization part helped shuttle the order a bit (and the two teams who where the most afraid had to do it twice).

The speedbump was ok, not too difficult as the bones were marked, so they just had to find them and put them in the right order, based on the plan. I guess the difficulty was the extra bone in the bag, but the moms seemed to remembered it pretty quickly.

Clam challenge was great! 4 penalty for the same task. wow! Is this a first?
It was great to see Aarthy being so helpful to James/Anthony. They could have used their express pass and win the leg has they used it early on. Good on both teams for not quitting. Also, how lucky were Sarah/Sam to get the clams so quickly?

Roadblock was good too. Sucks that the mom doing the roadblock didn't think of erasing her answers. Dave/Irina are really sneaky... They are really setting up the whole D/I agains everybody, seems it will be even more intense next week.

My only disappointment was that we didn't see anything of the city of Nanaimo, I've never been and would have like to see what it looked like, but they spent the whole leg in 'nature'.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:44:52 PM by stunami »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 09:39:30 PM »
Well, kinda expected it might feel rushed. When we saw this leg being filmed, it felt suspiciously like a substitute for some international leg that got shelved. I can't be entirely upset at Dave & Irina for inspiring a redux of the Boston Rob meat Roadblock mass quit.

This season is certainly delivering on the TAR-brand drama that was almost non-existent the past couple of years.

No Detour again this week, huh?

Offline degenerasian

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »
How long were Dave and Irina at the Calm Challenge?
The last two teams were there 4 and a half hours and still finished within the 2 hour penalty.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 05:04:28 AM »
Loved the hard challenges, but the perchance of teams just taking penalties, was really annoying.

Dave and Irina, don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Romber. Rob and Amber were deliberate on causing the massive penalty wave, they at least tried to do the challenge, but found an opportunity to get a safety net by convincing others also quit the challenge, when they were not the only ones struggling with it. Dave tried doing the challenge, with little help from his teammate. They just quit again, cause Irina couldn't even try helping.
Dave just copying the answer cause was totally legal, but low. The board was left unattended with the correct answer.

Loved how James / Anthony just figured the pit stop clue, with the contextual clues they had available. And the fact that Aarthy / Tinesh were adamant of helping them complete the clam challenge despite finishing ahead of J/A, ended up paying off. They got through Rb with barely any effort, I they are still the only team with an EP in the pocket.

Sarah and Sam have been getting such an interesting edit. When they were introduced as the Olympians teams, I totally thought they might be the Natalie and Meghan team, surprised by how much they struggle. Happy they got first, still amazed they got through the clam challenge as quickly as they did.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 05:54:15 AM »
Apart from the boring preachiness that gets put in this show this leg was hilarious.  Dave and Irina are definitely acting up their part, Dave's sneakiness at the cave task was the highlight for me.  Any team that preaches is definitely on my least favourite list.

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
So, when live sightings of this leg came in, I wasn't expecting much. This leg pretty much solidified the fact that the season wouldn't be going abroad. Also, this leg seemed like a copy & paste from the previous leg on Vancouver Island, which wasn't a good leg. Then came the news that this leg would include a record number of penalties, and the resulting leg we got was a bit of a mess yet also entertaining. Now I thought that the Lion King product placement was a little silly yet well incorporated, but the fact that they based an entire leg on Dora was pretty funny (Though if Dora was always going to be on Leg 5, was a South/Central American leg scrapped?). Now, I know that this season's route brought back memories of TARC 3, but doesn't mean that the racers should act like the TARC 3 racers with an abundance of penalties. I get why Lauren & Joanne took a penalty especially when they were delayed by a car crash and were the last to a needle-in-a-haystack task with about 600 less clams. At the same time, the longer teams stay at a task and know that they have a buffer, they should not be so willing to quit. This mistake is what ultimately led to the demise of Meaghan and Marie. Lastly, Dave & Irina. I don't have a problem with Dave "cheating" because it's not against the rules and teams should protect their own answers. However, the more Irina keeps quitting because she doesn't want to do anything, the more annoyed I'll get. That said, this season would not be the same without them, and I'm very interest with what's going to happen at the airport next week.

Jon doing the bungee.  :funny:
Anthony had to have a Dora moment.  :funny:
The bungee instructor.  :funny:
James's annoyance with Anthony's digging song.  :funny:
Dave making friends with the goats.  :funny:

Nanaimo bars: The memorization on top of an already stressful challenge was a good addition to a standard bungee task.
Whale skeleton: It gave us frantic Trish moments and was decent.
Clams: Holy cow, this task was tough. I'm not surprised that this task led to several penalties but it's crazy that this task lasted over four hours. I have complete appreciation for the teams that were able to even endure a rising tide and still finishing second.
Caves: The actual spelunking was alright but easier than the unscrambling, which was harder than anticipated and brought out a lot of drama. Wasn't the biggest fan of James being allowed to help Anthony before they arrived at the Roadblock site.

4/5

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
Wasn't the biggest fan of James being allowed to help Anthony before they arrived at the Roadblock site.

Technically, it wasn't just "help," James gave Anthony and Aarthy the answer.

Just seriously a poorly designed Leg with poorly designed tasks. Can't even enjoy Irina calling the other teams "peasants" because the Leg was such a mess.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
Ah, yeah, I didn't even catch that. Technically, Anthony & James should have been penalized because he wasn't the one doing the Roadblock.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
This Leg probably really was a replacement Leg considering how sloppy it was. And I think it was either Peru or Australia (relating to the Dora promo) or Manila (they traded a Manila Leg for Manila clams instead) :lol: :lol:

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 08:25:36 PM »
oh wow I didn't catch that also...
The cluebox describing the roadblock should have been in the parking of the cave, and they should have just gotten a clue at the Clam saying: Make your way to...blabla
Isn't it usually like that?

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 11:22:22 PM »
I must admit, I like having the Road Block clue nowhere near the location of the task so as not to influence the teams' decision making on who will do it. And this season, I think all of the RB clues have been opened away from the location.

This time, I think this practice actually worked negatively since as we saw, teams could work on the task (and basically complete it) before even getting to the caves which obviously defeats the purpose of the task itself. And certainly didn't do Huawei any promo favors since they barely used the "Huawei P30 Pro's 50x hybrid zoom" which TARC even posted and promoted on their FB page.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
Not sure why, they weren't a listed sponsor.

Promoting Huawei to Canadians was probably not a good idea right now to begin with.

We have some deep diplomatic issues with China going on over them.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 01:29:44 AM »
Yikes, they weren't kidding when they said penalties galore this leg!

Haven't watched the full episode, but after seeing snippets of the leg, this leg was quite poorly designed. I just hope it wasn't a replacement leg for an international leg...

Dave & Irina, geez I hope they win, I love them! <3

Offline BoxOfficeR

• RFF Full Member
    • Box Office Revolution
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
Overall, I liked the difficult tasks once again!  I wonder how many legs Dave and Irina can get away with taking penalties :funny:

Offline Philimination

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Phil is ready to Philiminate
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »
Considering how many tough Route Info tasks there are on TAR Canada, they should really consider making the penalty 4 hours instead of 2...
You are the last team to arrive.
This is a Philmination leg, so I'm sorry to tell you that you have been Philiminated from the race.