Author Topic: HaMerotz LaMillion 7 (TAR ISRAEL 7) Ongoing SHOW DIscussion  (Read 468635 times)

Offline jfarbzz

• RFF Full Member
Re: HaMerotz LaMillion 7 (TAR ISRAEL 7) Ongoing SHOW DIscussion
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
Why is Wikipedia listing "Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee" as a destination? Are there spoiler pics of an unaired location?

What? I didn't think this luck task was that bad.

Because it punished Karin & Ariel. They did so well in this leg and they got punished so hard. That's not fun to watch. But more than that, it's not so much a sigh that there's a luck task, but a sigh that there's STILL a luck task, and it's happening over and over and over and over and over again. If it wasn't after EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN LEG, I wouldn't be sighing so much.

Look I get that it's annoying but it's better to accept it alright? Neither of us are Israeli, and didn't PAHC say something that Israelis like watching teams have a chance to catch up? It's frustrating as a TAR fan, but you have to understand that it's a different culture that does different things so it's best to think of it from that angle.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2019, 11:35:02 PM »
Are luck tasks specifically an Israeli cultural thing?  Or is it just a producer's decision?  They didn't have them much before last season from what I've heard.

on elimination
Show content
I thought it probably did have an effect here, though I doubt anyone knows what the exact timings were.  It looked close enough to impact.

One thing that would help at least partly with luck tasks (though there is obviously still some luck) is if each team has their own patch to work through, as for example in the stones and the branches.  I'm not sure if that was the case with this task or not, but if they are just looking through the same pool of things then those that arrive later will have a smaller pool to look through.

Another general point is that because they get carried everywhere by taxis you'd think they'd be featured more, often you see a team that's obviously been delayed by a bad taxi but it wasn't shown, you have to infer it.  Taxis are just lottery drama but they may as well acknowledge it as much as the luck tasks.  But they often only concentrate on them in the final stretch to the pit stop.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2019, 12:35:12 AM »
I don't feel like I should have to understand or accept it, because this is new. Older seasons of TAR Israel were amazing, they were incredible, and they didn't have this nonsense. It's a formulaic thing now, and in my opinion that's a very bad thing. I don't think it's something to 'accept' because there was a better way beforehand, and I want them to go BACK.

Even just back in season 5, legs ended with: Roman Numerals math problem, observation task with dancers, African geography quiz, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Facial recognition challenge, counting people in a crowd, and a hedge maze. The rest of the legs were luck tasks, but it wasn't on ALL of the legs so it was more acceptable.

The further back in time you go, the less luck based tasks before Pit Stops there are, and those are my favourite seasons!

Compared to season 7, legs ended with: luck, luck, luck, luck, luck, luck, luck... THAT is my problem.

Edit: Actually, here. I went back and graphed the whole thing out. This table shows the final task before the Pit Stop of each leg from all seasons. Green means it was not a luck task, while Red means it was a luck task. Orange means it's debatable, as the task is not inherently based around luck, but I feel luck has the most prominent influence on how the task is finished (This usually refers to tasks where people need to interact with locals; the luck-based part of the task in MY opinion is finding the one person out of the crowd who will agree to be on camera and participate). Seasons along the X axis, and legs of the race along the Y axis.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:08:00 AM by G.B. »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2019, 02:53:37 AM »
Looking at the wiki there was also an extra delay for being unlucky, if you picked the wrong sheet of paper you had to remake it.  I don't know whether there was much of a skill aspect to that or not where more worthy teams did better or whether it was just a time delaying task, and whether the time delays added up considerably.  I suppose the rocks also had a delay, where racers had to rebalance them.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2019, 03:24:08 AM »
I think the argument some people make is that some of these tasks have something skill-related to help balance out the luck. For example, rebalancing the rocks.

But does it really? However good or bad you are at rebalancing the rocks, total random luck will still decide if you have to rebuild 5 stacks or 50 stacks.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2019, 03:55:58 AM »
I just like to look at all potential angles that could impact things, I do think it's mainly luck.

Offline PAHC

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2019, 07:06:47 AM »
I've actually realized why the luck tasks are so prevalent recently - there are 2 seasons being filmed at roughly the same time period. The luck tasks mostly stem from budgetary concerns, probably.

I don't think the public enjoying luck tasks in previous seasons would've led to such an impact.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »
Why is Wikipedia listing "Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee" as a destination? Are there spoiler pics of an unaired location?

Teams were shown running out of the hotel when they got their taxis at the start of the leg.

The paper task was trying to be another sandcastle task with remaking the paper, but the remaking aspect was pretty easy.

Show content
The only surprising aspect of this episode was that the Yield had an impact.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »

Teams were shown running out of the hotel when they got their taxis at the start of the leg.

Ohhhh, okay. I thought that was the airport, which was why I was so confused.

Offline jfarbzz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2019, 09:10:31 PM »
I'm rather curious how they got from Mauritius to Nepal. See I had a feeling there were no direct flights so I looked it up, and pretty much every flight has a stop in an Arab country, with the most direct route being just one connection through Dubai. Would they have Israelis go to Arab countries, even just for a layover?

Offline jfarbzz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
I'm rather curious how they got from Mauritius to Nepal. See I had a feeling there were no direct flights so I looked it up, and pretty much every flight has a stop in an Arab country, with the most direct route being just one connection through Dubai. Would they have Israelis go to Arab countries, even just for a layover?
Update: it didn’t occur to me that they could possibly connect through Tel Aviv. There’s a direct flight from Mauritius to Tel Aviv, and a flight from Tel Aviv to Kathmandu that connects in Delhi. Maybe they did that, I’m curious if there’s a way to find out.

Offline tatasport

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2019, 09:04:59 AM »

As far as I read, the only time Israeli passport holders can enter UAE is by transit visa, otherwise I'm not sure if they're allowed entry (unless there are other circumstances, like competing: the last time I remember this was the case was at the judo championships something).

So it could be possible in a way, but I'm curious whether they layover in Dubai or somewhere else (e.g. New Delhi).

Anyway, there'll be an ep today for the first part of the ninth leg!
הפעם עד הגמר - זירה, 2016
🇮🇱🇫🇷

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2019, 07:49:55 AM »
Show content
Aviad and Eden :'( I like Ariel & Karin well enough, but I kinda wish they left this leg instead? lol
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2019, 08:15:48 AM »
With the Wednesday episode...

The blindfold balancing task somehow wasn't that interesting, I suppose as a head to head they couldn't make it that difficult.

The yield strategy doesn't make sense to me, to keep in the race it makes sense to slow up those at the back but often they don't do that.  I wonder if the producers encourage them not to so that those at the back aren't left even further behind and it keeps things closer.

Orel's annoyed me from near the start and continues to.  Even when not shouting in some argument she lets out some loud silly shriek in a confessional.

Offline tatasport

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
With the Wednesday episode...

The blindfold balancing task somehow wasn't that interesting, I suppose as a head to head they couldn't make it that difficult.

The yield strategy doesn't make sense to me, to keep in the race it makes sense to slow up those at the back but often they don't do that.  I wonder if the producers encourage them not to so that those at the back aren't left even further behind and it keeps things closer.

Orel's annoyed me from near the start and continues to.  Even when not shouting in some argument she lets out some loud silly shriek in a confessional.

Drom what I saw this season, it is rare to see those targeting the back indeed. Sometimes by their voting pattern I kept making my own assumption/inference like "That's like a front vs. back so-called alliance" or "See, that looks like the 'alliance' broke seeing that pattern of vote, but then 'battle of alliances' returned despite its invisibility or is it just me?". Sometimes I also based them from what I infer in their 'voting confessional' or as the Race goes, like
Show content
what happened between Tia & Fay and Eyal & Sid–while that pattern on yielding Tia & Fay wasn't there at several legs I also made my own inference that 'when the Yield or U-Turn, I forgot, turned to Aviad & Eden, I randomly inferred the front alliance has been broken'

My own inference during the votes might not be amusing in a way, sometimes or mostly confusing (I'm sorry for that), but in terms of votes like this I do like making (random, not really since there's a pattern) inferences, so if I understood it incorrectly, let me know! (Most of it are strategic votes if I inferred so yeah).
🇮🇱🇫🇷

Offline tatasport

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2019, 09:33:14 AM »
Oh, and the second part of the ninth leg is tonight (9.15pm IDT)! Game on!
🇮🇱🇫🇷

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
Show content
Tali & Gili were such a fun team this year, so it was heartbreaking to see that they had the correct pot but didn't notice until it was too late.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »
Oh man, there was some fookery going on during this episode... See if you guys can help me figure out some of this...

1) I'm almost completely positive there was an unaired task after the mustard oil task. After completing the mustard task, no team is shown reading the name of the next destination. It just hard cuts to "Go get some nutritious snacks". Plus, the location of the Nature Valley product placement looks like a completely different area than the mustard task. It looks like old temple ruins. Can anybody identify this location?
2) The Yield voting board... Oy, this thing causes so much pain when trying to track locations. The show claims it was at the Norling Resort, but it's likely not...maybe? All teams except Nisim & Orel were shown taking their taxi FROM the Head-to-Head to get to the voting board, and were shown in their taxis again going TO the Norling Resort. But, on the other hand, Nisim & Orel finished serving their 15 minute penalty and then popped right over to the voting board, not shown taking a taxi at all. Was the board near the cricket stadium? It too looks like an old temple, so I'm doubtful. Can anyone identify THIS location?
3) Don't you love it when TAR identifies a location as "Rock-breaking spot"... The rocks task took place on what looks like a very old soccer/football field. I took some screens of a few identifying locations nearby. Two restaurants with blurry Nepali text, but what really caught my eye was that funky, colourful tower that was only a block away. I thought for sure I could find that one by googling, but didn't have much luck. Can anyone identify THIS location?
4) The final task with the pots took place at either "Kadrim Square" or "Kadarim Square", because Hebrew is fun. Neither of these gives me much results on Google, so... (You can probably see where this is going) Can anyone identify THIS location??

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2019, 10:11:44 PM »
The HaMerotz edit is so much fun.

1 & 2. Nature Valley and the Yield board were located inside the Kanti Bhairab Temple (also known as the Uttara Bahini Temple) with the mustard oil task in a rice field outside of the temple.

4. Pottery Square in Bhaktapur.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2019, 10:47:12 PM »
OH, is Kadrim a Hebrew word? I'm dumb.

Okay yeah, I see now what happened. Orel mysteriously loses the bandage on her arm after the Head-to-Head, which means the Yield vote actually took place after the mustard task. They just like to put it at the end of episodes for some reason. (Oh yes, especially because the resort is ACROSS THE STREET from the cricket ground)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what was with that Detour being inside of a Blue Route Info clue??
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:02:16 AM by G.B. »

Offline tatasport

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2019, 12:53:38 AM »

Okay yeah, I see now what happened. Orel mysteriously loses the bandage on her arm after the Head-to-Head, which means the Yield vote actually took place after the mustard task. They just like to put it at the end of episodes for some reason. (Oh yes, especially because the resort is ACROSS THE STREET from the cricket ground)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what was with that Detour being inside of a Blue Route Info clue??

Good question. It's not that Vietnam 6 'forced Detour' with only one of four, right–instead it's two and Detour as always. And it's not a Blind one so... but I don't think there's a trick that they thought it'll be a Route Info task but then they have to choose so it's a Detour... hmm...
🇮🇱🇫🇷

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2019, 06:31:47 PM »
I seriously loved this episode because it was all of the ridiculousness of HaMerotz LaMillion wrapped up into one episode. Tasks where teams have to interact with locals are always so much fun like when Karin has to ask if someone is rich and has their credit cards and has to reassure that she won't rob them or Nisim running around trying to measure people. We've seen VR tasks this year, but the fact that it was a FPS against mecha and zombies was so funny. Also, this is the only show I can think of that would do Twister on walls as a Double Battle.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
All they really had to do for the one Detour was hit a gong loud enough with their partner? Seems easy.

Offline tatasport

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2019, 12:55:29 AM »

As far as I checked, if we refer to kadarim as in קדרים, it means pottery.
(Since I'm also learning, can anybody speaking it cross-check? Toda raba!)
🇮🇱🇫🇷

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »
I had a feeling they would be going back to China. The first three seasons visited Hong Kong, China and then Taiwan, but no visits since then. Night seemed to come pretty quickly, didn't it? Also, I'm so glad we finally have a leg where production doesn't give the teams taxi drivers.