Author Topic: TAR 31 FINALE LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTS WED 6/26/19 9-11PM  (Read 58210 times)

Offline BoxOfficeR

• RFF Full Member
    • Box Office Revolution
Yeah I forgot to mention that the Pit Stop Task was really cool and probably better than a Head to Head :tup:

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
I was very happy with the whole season.  It entertained me and that is all that I ask of my reality TV.  The cast overall was decent. Of course, the ones I didn't like went out early enough that I didn't have to clench my teeth watching them throughout.  A little drama but not overwhelming. I like that the drama is not made the focus of the show like some others do... that is what makes a show unwatchable to me.

I LOVE that Colin and Christie won and I have become a big fan of theirs from following their instagram accounts. 

Having following the live taping I just couldn't figure out why Leo and Jamal did so poorly at the end.  Now I know and future racers should pay close attention... actually Leo should have!

Like Phil, I can't wait for the next season!  Bring it on!

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
So gotta review leg 11 and 12 and thought about overall season in short:

Leg 11

Recent TAR seasons (starting from s27) provided a really great penultimate legs, and this leg is no exception. Pretty well structured leg along with the intensity make this leg enjoyable to watch. RB is somehow easier than i imagined, but still give a team or two a struggle to pass it.

Detour options are really wise and challenging. Row task is a physical straightforward simple task that somehow become more complex along the way, the coordination, the physical ability, and experience in at least rowing the boat play the factor here, and the fact that they have to go to the finish line withinn just 1 minute, made it really difficult for those who couldnt reach those factors. Taxi cab task is no kidding task either,
the fact you have to focus on taxi's driver instruction and memorize all of 22 spots determined and recite it correctly don't sound an easy task either. Overall they are challenging but not improbable, so a really good detour.

But the highlight of this leg is a task right in the pitstop, the scavenging task is really good, with all the teams there, and how frantic the camden market is make it sounds difficult and pressuring. Altho there is no shuffling placement for this task, it is still intense and great to watch. I wish they will go for this tyoe again in future legs.

Overall this penultimate leg is really good and well structured. Great penultimate leg iverall, and we are goint into the final leg
4.5/5

Leg 12

And we are touching down to Detroit, Michigan for the first time ever. This finale leg is pretty good, many tasks allow teams to shift their placement, and pretty much variable.

While RB is a height task + number memorization, the fact that teams have to figure out how to enter the numbers properly to open the bunker makes it really challenging. Pay attention to every instruction is the actual key for this task that Collin made it, and Leo felt from it.

The other tasks are pretry much basic, playing on fowling {yeah fowling) and creating 5 vynil disks, but these tasks allow teams to catch up since it is not ridiculously hard, but not ridiculously easy, and it works, Colin & Christie surpass T & K on vynil task.

Im surprised that there is no memory task challenge for this finale, since there are so many things that can be done for the task, especially since there are so many signs and foreshadowings that led to the memory challenge (then again its pretty much a crossover + returnee season, and the fact that there were literally no memory challenge in the past returnee seasons, so yeah...), Instead they replace it with a final mental task, assembling drum kits while musicians playing seven nation army. Assembling drum kits seems pretty easy on the paper but the fact that they have to focus  and pay attention to the details while the loud music going on, and sinxe this is the final task, and pressure is getting higher and higher every seconds, makes it more difficult, and intense. It is mentally chaotic task surely, and i love this kind of task. They could have add memory task element tho, like to put a drum's stickers contains previous leg's elements and out into a proper instruction (a la TAR 30 memory task) or something like that... But it is still a very good task.

Overall it is very intense finale witht twists and turns, the final task could add a little touch to be a perfect final task, but i wont complain much, a very nice finale leg, and congratulations Colin & Christie for the winning!

4.4/5

Leg 1: 3.5/5
Leg 2: 4.3
Leg 3: 3.7
Leg 4: 4.3
Leg 5: 4.1
Leg 6: 4.2
Leg 7: 4.1
Leg 8: 4.4
Leg 9: 4.6
Leg 10: 4.5
Leg 11: 4.5
Leg 12: 4.4

Overall

This season has exceeded my expectations. The fact that this is a pretty much an official crossover + too premature returnee season + another third time returnee almost made me turned off, but they keep surprising us and getting vetter and better every leg with solid leg designs and task, much intense episode and well done casts, overall a good season, not the best out there, but still enjoyable and entertaining!

4.1/5
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:08:49 AM by elthemagnifico »
what might have been

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Crazy.... There was another challenge in Detroit that did not make the show. Is this common?

Wait what.... What challenge?

They went to the Heidelberg Project and had to search among well over 100 clue boxes for ones that had clues.

The racers said it took about 2 min and didn't change the placements at all so was probably cut in favor of more Leo drama....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
:tu BoxOfficeR ror the great LIVE updates!!  :conf:

Oh and Leo had literally never done a combination lock that before...had no idea how it worked.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:03:28 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
Oof no wonder he was so struggling with that task, but still tho, he could have given some time to reread the instruction carefully and understood it.
what might have been

Offline spitcoff

• RFF Not So Newbie
Crazy.... There was another challenge in Detroit that did not make the show. Is this common?

Wait what.... What challenge?

They went to the Heidelberg Project and had to search among well over 100 clue boxes for ones that had clues.

The racers said it took about 2 min and didn't change the placements at all so was probably cut in favor of more Leo drama....

Yeah the clue boxes with clues were not hard at all for them to find. The were in and out quick. Based on the number of clue boxes in the area it could have been much more difficult.

The final task was very difficult despite what it looked like on air. It took both teams well over an hour to complete. It was almost 100 that day, totally miserable baking on that concrete.

Offline herstian

• RFF Not So Newbie
So Far this season is entertaining to watch especially
The legs from Croatia, Netherlands & England (I really liked the market task before checking in, that was surprising.)
Two New Countries: Laos & Uganda. This is the first time that I like the head to head task from Uganda (Fries race & Petanque were quite boring)
Team Fun completed ten legs (not bad)
Colin & Christie won  :cheer: :2hearts: :2hearts:

I seldom watch finales in Amazing Race because I didnt like the winning team sometimes (like in Season 30 particularly Jessica)  :groan:

Congratulations to Colin and Christie. Well deserved win  :conf:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:52:33 PM by herstian »

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
Leg 11:
The penultimate leg was great, hard task especially the detour. The rowing made 3 teams switching, memorizing 22 streets/landmarks is really tough. Another task at the market before they can check in was great even tough did not affect the placement. One of the best penultimate leg IMO. 

Leg 12:
Tricky first task that can make racer fall behind if not read the instruction really well, and Leo became the victim. Don't really like fawling & vinyl task but it did affect the placement. Disappointed that the final task was just assembling a drum and no memory task  :groan:
It could have been better if this task was a roadblock, and the person who didn't perform the first roadblock must do this roadblock

Overall it was a great season, exceeded my expectation, especially when we had a bad premiere. 

Offline herstian

• RFF Not So Newbie

Leg 1: 3.5/5
Leg 2: 4.3
Leg 3: 3.7
Leg 4: 4.3
Leg 5: 4.1
Leg 6: 4.2
Leg 7: 4.1
Leg 8: 4.4
Leg 9: 4.6
Leg 10: 4.5
Leg 11: 4.5
Leg 12: 4.4

Mine is this

Leg 1: 2/5
Leg 2: 3.8/5
Leg 3: 4/5
Leg 4: 4.1/5
Leg 5: 4.4/5
Leg 6: 4.5/5
Leg 7: 4.1/5
Leg 8: 4/5
Leg 9: 4.7/5
Leg 10: 4.4/5
Leg 11: 4.7/5
Leg 12: 4.2/5

I Could Omit the Japanese Leg .
Overall: 4.2/5

Offline BoxOfficeR

• RFF Full Member
    • Box Office Revolution
:tu BoxOfficeR ror the great LIVE updates!!  :conf:

My pleasure; it was fun! :waves:

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Leg 11

For the past few seasons, TAR has had great penultimate legs, and this leg is also one of them. This leg had a great mix of challenges, personal drama, and a tight finish. There were several challenges, none of which were easy, and the leg really showed the determination to win from the teams. It was a very competitive leg where any team had a chance to catch up or fall behind. From a travel aspect, this leg was able to show so many aspects of the UK that the show hasn't done before. I do applaud that the show was still able to be creative even in an over-visited location. While most of the teams delivered, this episode was essential a two-part story about the growth of Colin & Christie. This leg saw Christie struggle at a Roadblock for the first time since the caviar, yet Colin was still able to remain calm, reassure her, and then they were able to come back into contention.

The Roadblock judge response for an incorrect answer.  :funny:
The same judge complaining that he was called away from lunch for Christie's second answer.  :funny:
All the boat tipping.  :funny:
Korey trying to shop for himself during the last task.  :funny:
Colin dancing in the purple shoe store.  :funny:

Code: It was a pretty confusing multi-step task.
Know: This was a pretty difficult mental task with so many opportunities to slip up.
Row: As someone who's rowed crew, some of the mistakes made did get a laugh from me. It was a very physical and tough task. The balance between difficult mental and physical Detour options was pretty good.
Market: Loved that the show surprised teams with this task after telling then that they were going to the Pit Stop. It was just difficult enough that teams could catch up. but the items weren't hidden too randomly so teams could get help from locals.

5/5

Leg 12

I still remember reading the updates and being so excited for this finale, and the episode did not disappoint me. Any leg that had to follow up TAR 30, which had a phenomenal leg design with albeit an outcome that wasn't great, was always going to be a tough act to follow. This was a good leg even if it didn't have a memory task. I also loved the outcome of this season. While there was some disappointment that Colin didn't have another blowup like TAR 5, I loved that this season highlighted the growth of Colin over 15 years. Colin is the most intense racer the show has seen, who yelled about an ox and was almost arrested. We got some glimpses into the old Colin like with the taxi this leg, but I love that Colin grew into a fun and lovable guy. He and Christie brought so many fun moments for me during this season. Personally, I think it was the greatest multi-season arc for a reality show contestant. It was almost poetic that Colin & Christie were able to calm each other down during a hectic task before they went on to win the Race, so I was greatly satisfied with their win.

May the highest vibing team win.  :funny:
Colin's face when he got 9 pins.  :funny:
Colin air drumming.  :funny:
Colin hugging and lifting Phil.  :funny:
Eliza's eyeroll.  :funny:
Colin & Christie's win.  :conf:

Vault: It was a fun adrenaline task that required team members that were probably frantic to actually slow down to get the task right. It's unfortunate that it led to the demise of the Afghanimals.
Fowling: It was a fun task with a game that I never even heard of.
Heidelberg: Based on what's been said, it was a needle-in-haystack task that was pretty easy.
Records: On its own the task was fine, but it was the weakest shown task of the leg in comparison to the other tasks.
Drum: The fact that returning players seasons have never had a memory task is a weird one. Still, I thought that this was a good task. Loved that there were so many small details that could delay teams and that teams had to not only overcome the stress of 12 legs of travel but also the loud music.

4/5

Overall, I thought that this episode was a great end to an otherwise good season. I'm sad that TAR 31 is over and that the exact date for TAR 32 isn't out there yet, but I am happy that there will be multiple seasons of international TAR premiering in July.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
Coming off the super disappointment of the last couple of Legs with both my favourites being eliminated back to back, I wasn't really that excited going into this... BUT now I've seen it I have to say I LOVED both Legs. :cheer:

Really helped what was an average Season at best in my view. Would've rather seen one of the other two finalists win, but I like how Colin & Christie came full circle -  Finishing 2nd 26 Seasons ago, having to decline a chance at returning due to Christie's pregnancy, and then finally returning after years of thinking it would never happen.

All in all another decent Season, and it's the best I've felt after a finish in a long time. So can't complain!
Bring on TAR Canada!!  :conf:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Hey, RFF! :waves: I have returned from Athens, Greece, caught up on some well-needed sleep, and am thrilled to see people coming together to update the episodes leading up to the final stetch and the stretch itself! I cannot thank stunami, BourkieBoy, BoxOfficeR, and the legendary Peach enough for their time and efforts to keep the community spirit thriving while I met with company officials, clients, and explored the wonders of Athens! I am excited to watch the rest of the episodes I missed during the trip over the weekend and hoping everyone has enjoyed the season thoroughly.

:ghug:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Welcome back, Rachel :)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Welcome home Rachel!! We'll be wanting to hear about your trip and your TAR thoughts!!

:ghug:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
I finally watched the finale of TAR 31 three hours ago as it was intense that Leo & Jamal finally reached beyond Leg 11 and Colin & Christie won the leg after a 15 year wait.

Welcome back, Rachel. I'll be back with TAR 32 soon.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Just so you know, I did catch the last few minutes on the flight back to Chicago from Newark. The screen wasn't working during the tasks in Detroit so I just caught the ending right when Colin & Christie were running into Fort Wayne :gnome .
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
I just finished watching Leg 11 and 12 and what a finish to the season!

I love England and that leg was very cool and Winston Churchill as Pit Stop greeter was very funny!  :funny:

The finale was very interesting to watch and I felt quite sad for the Afghanimals to basically flop the leg (even though I don't like them)

Also, kudos to Colin & Christie for winning TAR31! Colin really matured this season and was much more enjoyable to watch, then Season 5!

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
Leg 11: The Dover Cliffs were breathtaking, with a good Roadblock at Dover Castle to boot. The Detour was appropriately tough for a penultimate leg, and the task before check-in provided a good amount of surprise factor. 4/5

Leg 12: This felt like the first finale since season 27 where all 3 teams were equally strong teams with no bottomgod/underdog teams (I'll count Henry & Evan as "underdogs" in S30 because they finished last two legs before the finale). Detroit finally getting a well-deserved visit <3 The tasks were pretty solid and represented Detroit's culture well. Leo and Jamal falling behind caused some of the drama to go away, but the editors did a pretty good job of the two-horse race between T/K and C/C. 4.5/5

BTW, does anyone know how far behind Leo & Jamal were at the mat?
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Notice the shadows on the ground in Fort Wayne in and around that area of the finish mat. My best guess when the really lengthening shadows when Colin and Christie arrived and when Leo and Jamal arrived, during one of the longest days of daylight of the year, is probably three hours. One could tell that dusk wasn’t far away. The shadows were just starting to blend in and soften.
Where’s the folks who used to measure shadows and could calculate the time?
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Busy going to Pluto. :funny:

Yes They were almost 3 hours behind.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
So Peach, do you know if they just had Leo and Jamal go to the other tasks and film a short clip for the show or did they actually complete the tasks.

I listened to Justin's Racer's Recap with Colin and Christie and Justin said in their season, Logan and Chris didn't even complete the final task... well, correctly. He said production just let whatever they had done go through even though it wasn't correct. They were speculating that Leo & Jamal just did enough to get some film on the drum task. (My interpretation of what he said).

Looking back on the spoilers, it was mentioned that Leo and Jamal weren't seen at the task so it surprised me when I saw the video of them doing it.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
So Peach, do you know if they just had Leo and Jamal go to the other tasks and film a short clip for the show or did they actually complete the tasks.

I listened to Justin's Racer's Recap with Colin and Christie and Justin said in their season, Logan and Chris didn't even complete the final task... well, correctly. He said production just let whatever they had done go through even though it wasn't correct. They were speculating that Leo & Jamal just did enough to get some film on the drum task. (My interpretation of what he said).

Looking back on the spoilers, it was mentioned that Leo and Jamal weren't seen at the task so it surprised me when I saw the video of them doing it.
The parade exit interview of Afghnanimals confirmed that they completed all the tasks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/parade.com/895074/mikebloom/the-amazing-race-31-leo-temory-and-jamal-zadran-fail-to-find-the-winning-combination/amp/

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 31 FINALE LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTS WED 6/26/19 9-11PM
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2019, 07:11:12 PM »
Yes they did them all. Totally possible they weren't judged so strictly  on the drums as by that point there was no hope...
RFF's Golden Rule: