Author Topic: TAR 31 EP 9 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 6/12/19 8PM  (Read 47788 times)

Offline Racegroupie79

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR 31 EP 9 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 6/12/19 8PM
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »
Would have liked to have seen another team really try the snorkeling task, to see if it was almost impossible, or if Chris and brett just weren't very good at it!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:14 AM »
Tyler just pointed out on Twitter, last night was their 9th career win. They've broken the American record even if not in a single season.

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2019, 11:38:40 AM »
Would have liked to have seen another team really try the snorkeling task, to see if it was almost impossible, or if Chris and brett just weren't very good at it!
I lean towards it being confusing, because Chris was a fairly decent swimmer on Survivor, and it seemed like the water there was freezing, which adds another element of difficulty to the whole snorkeling thing

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2019, 12:05:32 PM »
Tyler just pointed out on Twitter, last night was their 9th career win. They've broken the American record even if not in a single season.

I knew they would be strong, but I am thoroughly surprised that they manage to win 4 in a row.

No future leg spoilers here please...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:08:28 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
Just watched the ep, and honestly, it's the bes leg of the season so far. We finally have airport drama, the detours are equally challenging, the RB is really good, rowing thw boat to tye pitstop is a nice touch too, andhe location itself is gorgeous. The ending itself is a bit rushed but I kinda ok with that since im assuming that chris and brett were that far to even catch up with L/J and C/C so there might be no point to make it as if they are close. Regardless, a very good leg, might be one of the best in while...

4.6/5

Leg 1: 3.5/5
Leg 2: 4.3
Leg 3: 3.7
Leg 4: 4.3
Leg 5: 4.1
Leg 6: 4.2
Leg 7: 4.1
Leg 8: 4.4
Leg 9: 4.6
what might have been

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
also, heya, im back from indefinite hiatus  :funny:
what might have been

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »
Colin and Christie were very lackluster this leg. Screwed over by flights (their first time in 22 legs I think, if you want to discount the Auckland-Manila flight which bunched them up), last at the first two tasks, lost their gnome.. They were so off this episode. However, at the same time, they always manage to catch up and snag a top 4 finish.

And with that, they have been in the top 4 for 20 consecutive legs (of which 18 were in the top 3). I am kinda sad that they have no shot of overtaking Jet and Cord's record of 20 legs in the top 3 (though C and C will do it in 2 seasons instead of 3)

How could you not count their epic screw over by flight in TAR5 finale? In fact this time I think they made the same mistake again by not checking flight info till the last minute. That is how they lost last time.

Aren't they still have chance to have more top 3 finishes than Jet/Cord? There are still 3 legs to go.

I think generally this season they did not do as good as they used to be, especially at times when all teams got equalised they cannot be the first one taking lead, they turn into a more marathon style which in the long run they will catch up and get ahead, but not anymore like in TAR5 when they always try to get ahead even from the start.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2019, 06:23:36 PM »
Absolutely loved this leg. This leg had everything I could want in a leg and more. This leg had an airport scramble, a standby flight, a delayed flight, a gorgeous location, tough Detour options, Detour switching, a difficult Roadblock, a boat race to the mat, lost gnome, and Dalmatians. Coming into this season, I was not a fan of casting Nicole & Victor, though there were far more worse choices in casting recent BB showmances. The past legs have done nothing to make me like Nicole. Leg 7, she cried at the mat to garner sympathy from other racers. Leg 8, she acted indecisive at the U-Turn Vote, made Victor vote, and complained when he did vote. This leg, I couldn't stand her whining with the "line cutting." There was nothing at that counter that marked one line, and if there's one thing I hate on TAR it is people complaining about lines. I didn't like it on TAR 4 & 16. With that said, I loved the flight scramble at the start of the leg. While teams have booked some flights this season, they've all ended up on the same flights. This leg we got several flights. I also loved Split in this leg. Croatia is a stunning location and one that I would love to visit. Previous visits to Croatia across franchises have used similar locations and tasks, but this leg gave us a wide variety of locations with the beaches, cave church, Roman sites, and the harbor. There were also several creative tasks to go along with this location. I'm also stunned by the amount of switching that occurred even if it led to the demise of Chris & Bret. This was a great episode overall with my only complaint being the editing gaffs that occurred (Naming the wrong beach for the first task & displaying the wrong arrival time for the third flight), but that doesn't lessen my enjoyment.

Leo planning his entire family on the ticket agents.  :funny:
Ticket agent leaving on the dot.  :funny:
"Hello. Good news. We don't know the poem."  :funny:
Afghanimal's taxi driver calling them crazy.  :funny:
"Traveling along with our friend the Roaming Gnome. We'll go back on the boat."  :funny:
Bret thinking he'll never make detective because of the coins and then going for a beer.  :funny:

Punch & Bread: Lumped these two together because they were both two simple tasks that mainly added more destinations to this leg.
Motion: Loved this task. The poem was difficult enough that teams could easily slip up, and the boat rides and teams' dramatic speaking led to fun moments.
Ocean: This seemed like a simple task, yet it created so much drama with switching.
Marching Orders: Looked cool visually and it was a cool mental task to end the leg.
Dinghy: Much like last week, I liked that they added an extra step to reach the Pit Stop instead of just taking a taxi.

5/5/

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:52 PM »
We might see some penalties happening there.
Speaking of penalties, we've only had 1 penalty in the last 20 legs, dating back to last season. Is this the longest drought for penalties ever? I feel like penalties used to be taken more often.

Anyway, this was one of the better legs of the past two seasons. Tasks were great and the leg was very non-linear. However, as others have said, the editing at the end of the episode was super rushed and kinda underwhelming.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »
We might see some penalties happening there.
Speaking of penalties, we've only had 1 penalty in the last 20 legs, dating back to last season. Is this the longest drought for penalties ever? I feel like penalties used to be taken more often.

Anyway, this was one of the better legs of the past two seasons. Tasks were great and the leg was very non-linear. However, as others have said, the editing at the end of the episode was super rushed and kinda underwhelming.
Art & JJ's peanality for quitting leg 1 roadblock this season

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2019, 10:15:11 PM »
^ That's the one penalty that has been taken in the last 20 legs, as I mentioned.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2019, 12:19:08 AM »
The best episode so far. Just minor hiccup due to the rushed editing at the end.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
I feel like penalties used to be taken more often.

Fewer hard tasks to do this decade.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2019, 07:03:26 PM »
I feel like penalties used to be taken more often.

Fewer hard tasks to do this decade.

And teams reading the clues more thoroughly.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 10:12:06 AM »
I won't be able to do the live updates tonight :(  :'(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 12:53:02 PM »
Oh noooo…

Please say you'll be here for the Finale next week??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
I won't :( I'm going on vacation  :groan: