Author Topic: TAR 31 EPISODE 5 & 6 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 5/22/19 8PM EST *read Post 1*  (Read 13261 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
And we have Phil becoming an NBA All-Star commentator. Can he please stop talking during Head to Heads?
And Colin takes the oxtail!

Colin & Christie are TEAM NUMBER 2!
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Becca & Floyd and Leo & Jamal and Reillys arrive right after each other at the H2H.

It's Victor vs. Chris! And Victor wins! Chris wants to give this another shot.

Victor & Nicole are TEAM NUMBER THREE!
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Janelle & Britney are doing the Detour finally! Off with their heads... fish.

It's Team Fun vs. Survivor Guys! And Bret grabs the oxtail!

BRET & CHRIS ARE TEAM NUMBER FOUR!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TEAM FUN (Floyd) vs AFGHANIMALS (Leo)!!! It's a total upset!

Floyd wins Becca & himself 5TH PLACE ON THE MAT!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Janelle & Britney are relieved discovering the Head-to-Head as their last chance.

AFGHANIMALS (Jamal) vs REILLYS (Rachel)!! Elissa's voice is the same type of nasally annoying as her counterpart. Jamal wins for the brothers!

LEO & JAMAL ARE TEAM NUMBER 6!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
It's the final duel of the day! They hug as they are ready for BB battle!

RACHEL VS. BRITNEY, the battle of BIG BROTHER 12! Both partners are yelling at their partners as tribal music is bouncing in the background intensifying their screams! And Rachel grabs the oxtail! The Big Brother ladies are hugging it out and Rachel is crying AGAIN. :res: I guess I can't blame her for this one.

Reillys are 7TH PLACE and Britney & Janelle are LAST TEAM TO ARRIVE AND ARE ELIMINATED FROM THE RACE. Britney tears up and the moms' goal is proving how tough and fearless they are. Memories forever!

-END CREDITS & STAY TUNED FOR SCENES FROM OUR NEXT EPISODE- Tribal music playing...

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
NEXT WEEK ON THE AMAZING RACE!
Show content
Teams are headed to the Swiss Alps on an adventurous escape! And Rachel & Elissa have HAD IT with Nicole & Victor!

So comments, complaints, concerns, or calamities about this double episode night?

Gra1162

Janelle and brit :(

but rachel and elissa  :2hearts: :2hearts: :2hearts: :2hearts:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I guess I'll re-post this disclaimer to let everyone know regarding the live updates starting in June.
I was going to place this announcement in the main discussion thread for "Been to...", but I would like to bring the awareness here first since it's going to affect live commentary in the coming weeks.

Between the long season 30 and 31 hiatus, I switched employers to where the grass is greener. Under my new assignments, I was offered the opportunity to do fieldwork for clients in carrying out their business strategies and construction of new franchise branches. One of these tasks require me to travel internationally to Athens, Greece two weeks from now where I am meeting with my clients for the entirety of June to develop and set a protocol for their corporation. It would be AWESOME if someone could be my substitute for the remainder of the season starting in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sorry I didn't get to explain this sooner, but it was better now than wait until next week catching everyone off-guard in a scramble. I really want the people who are fortunate and counting on attending the live updates to have a great experience.
In other words, I am looking for people to chime in to the live updates thread during the show starting on Episode 8 by any means (whether via CBS live TV, All Access, or even a Periscope livestream) and help keep everyone updated on what's happening as much as one can account. The writing doesn't need to be perfect or thorough. Just volunteering time to contribute to our community dedicated to bringing TAR to the forefront of our enjoyment will receive the utmost appreciation from everyone here and us dearly. What's better than watching the show than watching it AND becoming your own commentator for a forum you count on for a deeper understanding of the race?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:18:40 PM by RachelLeVega »

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
First, of all its getting annoying that every flying leg this season all teams are on the same flight. We really need airport drama back. The Detour in Dubai was lame (seriously, what does dressing up as dinosaurs have to do with Dubai). The Roadblock was at another karaoke club, which automatically feels repetitive, at least it wasn't a performance task. Also taking a first-come first-serve zip-line ride to the Pit Stop is lame and is unfair. (Here's something to think about, when Colin & Christie visited Dubai in TAR 5, the Burj Khalifa was just starting construction!).

Rating: 2/5

The first visit to Uganda felt just OK, nothing special. The stairs task has been done countless times. The Roadblock was the only good thing about the episode. (I would like to eat a Rolex). The Detour was OK, the fish side was boring to watch, and the log side was mildly entertaining. Also can this be the last season with the Head-To-Head please.

Rating 3/5

Teams I Like:
Colin & Christie
Becca & Floyd
Nicole & Victor

Teams I'm Meh On:
Janelle & Britney
Rachel & Elissa
Chris & Bret

Teams I Don't Like:
Leo & Jamal
Tyler & Korey

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
I love that at least one team got the wrong kind of rolex. Best "read your clue" fail in a while 😂

Production knew what they were doing putting that task in the same area.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Dubai was disappointing, but Uganda was good!

Those Reilly's HAVE to go!  :groan:

Thanks for all of your hard work Rachel, since Season 29! <3

And update if you can guys!!! It's a great experience!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Really like both legs how there I don't know why you guys don't like the Dubai leg I think this was a way to remote do bit Dubai the 1st visit to uganda you gonna I believe it should have been a second leg they're still going to Switzerland

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
Neither leg had a race to the mat which was strange.  While of course I liked some of the visuals of the first leg I do like it if the competitive element is still stressed more and it's not largely focused on sights.  I didn't mind the simulation instead of going down the building, that was probably the best and most difficult part of the leg.  The dinosaur leg looked funny but it didn't seem as difficult as it might have been.  The nightclub silent disco could have been good, but only having one person to find made it quicker than it should have been.  Much of the Dubai drama seemed to be about getting bad taxis.

The Ugandan leg definitely had more manual labour to it and so was a good contrast, probably had more drama as well.  The minaret steps provided the most natural drama, Janelle just completely lost it later.  Not sure why Floyd was allowed to let the food hit the floor and continue like that.  The camerawork in the head to head wasn't that great for me, maybe it was to make things less clear for suspense, but it annoyed.  And Phil stating the obvious or telling us when it was about to end wasn't helping the drama.

Not that unhappy with the results, Janelle and Britney didn't seem likely to challenge at the top, Elissa seems maybe stronger than Rachel (not sure why the non-competitor can help in the head to head though).  Too many remarks trying to make some social point shoehorned into the episode, about being gay or about being a mother.  All these setting an example statements always seem out of place.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
The Uganda Leg was much better than the Dubai Leg.
But the deleted scenes from the Uganda Leg seem so much more interesting and exciting than most of what made the episode.

And the Head-to-Head would've been great earlier in the Leg.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
I wish this head to head was cut from the episode, too, and we saw more from each team during the episode instead.
... also we wouldn't have had to endure Phil's cringeworthy attempt at impersonating Jeff Probst.

But overall, both of these episodes seemed much weaker than the Vietnam legs to me:/ Maybe it was the lack of suspense, but the tasks as a whole were pretty boring. Uganda really could have used a second leg, I don't understand why they didn't stay there longer.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
I think they kept the Head to Head here just so they could include the #MomSquad moment at the end. And the whole idea of two BB teams and friends having to face off against each other for elimination. I would guess if it were any other teams, they'd have edited it out here too.

They sped through the other matches in a way that was the minimum in order to have it make sense and allow them to use all that footage between the Reillys and Janelle & Britney at the end.

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
They had no choice to show it, if not you cant explain why the two teams checked together at the same time and just J/B be eliminate

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
That's true, I didn't think of that.
Still, the head-to-head was the worst part of the episode for me.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Leg 5

After the terrible ending to Survivor, I needed a palate cleanser. Thankfully, I have TAR and Survivor SA. Dubai is the most overrated location in the Middle East, so I wan't thrilled to see it again. Several of the legs in this location tend to blend together with the international franchises as particularly egregious examples. To the show's credit, aside from the random visit to the desert, the tasks were pretty different from previous visits to Dubai. We didn't get camels, and we didn't get water parks. It was also fun to see Dubai at night. This leg was pretty simple, yet it brought out a lot of emotions between Janelle & Britney at the Detour and Rachel & Elissa during the entire leg.

Elissa: "This is my show." Rachel: "Well"  :funny:
Tyler & Korey's taxi driver taking a selfie.  :funny:
Elissa: "At least we got to see more of Dubai." Rachel: "Yeah"  :funny:
Becca & Floyd were meant to be dinosaurs.  :funny:
Bret mocking Chris's accent.  :funny:
Colin's dance moves  :funny:
Rapping Phil Keoghan  :funny:

Fall: It was fun that the clue was made vague to cause confusion. The clue told teams to be watchful, yet they were still surprised with a quiz. This task also brought quite some drama with teams considering switching from Find.
Find: This was pretty much a HaMerotz LaMillion style task, and I loved it. This was a lot of fun to watch.
Silent Disco: I find the amount of crossover between TAR 31 and Belgian Mole 7 pretty funny as The Mole also had a silent disco task. It was a nice variation on a needle & haystack task.

3/5

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Leg 6

Uganda's a place that I don't think many people were clamoring for, yet I'm glad they did visit. For one leg, they did show off many aspect of Kampala. However, much like Malawi, I think Uganda would have benefited from two legs with one in the city and one on Lake Victoria. It was nice to hear Tyler & Korey's thoughts after traveling through two countries that criminalized the LGBT community. Their message at the end of this leg is part of the reason why I love TAR. With all my compliments, I think that this was the weakest leg so far. The tasks weren't as great as previous legs, and teams weren't as fun in this leg.

Chris & Bret's excuses for climbing the minaret.  :funny:
Umbrella falling on Victor.  :funny:
Janelle searching for a watch.  :funny:
Self-aware Colin  :funny:

Minaret: It tripped up a couple of teams, but it wasn't too hard.
Rolex: Probably my favorite task of the leg. It was a fun shopping task combined with cooking though it didn't seem to be judged harshly.
Laundry:There's not too much to expect with a Speed Bump, and despite what Phil said, there were empty lines next to the washing station.
Salty Roll: They only showed about thirty seconds of this task, so there's not much to comment on.
Move Pole: It had some level of difficulty, and it gave us brief moments of TAR 5 Colin. Still, TAR 14 had a better wood stacking task.
Tower of Drums: Ironic that this came down to a BB 12 showdown. The task itself was good, and I like that is was a puzzle. (TAR US has shown more creativity in these tasks than TARC) I still don't mind it placed at the end. My problem is that the order teams arrived was the order they finished. I would have preferred seeing the H2H in Vietnam.

2/5

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
Episode 5 just proved that we need airport drama back. It doesn't even have to be as intense as in the earlier seasons. We need footage of teams booking flights and what not because all the airtime is dedicated to tasks, which causes the tasks to get tiresome very quickly. The VR/Dinosaur Detour were good on paper, but I got tired of them quickly. Silent disco RB was a cool concept but ended up being rushed. Also, we literally just had a karaoke Roadblock in the same setting back in Vietnam. :groan: Overall, this episode just felt really dragged by the end and I was relieved when it was over.

Episode 6 was just OK. The Rolex RB could've been more difficult, as it seems like teams found it to be pretty straightforward. The Detour was your typical TAR manual labor tasks. I don't know if this is just an effect of TAR having gone through so many seasons, but I really feel like they're running out of creativity with some of these tasks. Many tasks this season just feel like a rehash of old tasks. The H2H was pointless and seriously needs to go, that's all I'm going to say.

Tyler & Korey - I actually like them this time around even though I didn't care for them in Season 28. I think it's because they're getting a much more lowkey edit this time around. Back in Season 28, they were surrounded by a bunch of teams playing up to the camera, while now they have to be a little more competitive (even though they were much more dominant then). I don't even remember the last time I heard Tyler's annoying laugh.

Colin & Christie - I just want to see some more personality through confessionals or cab rides and what not. I'm not even asking for a breakdown like other people are (which I don't get, lol. Colin is a whole father now). All we see is them completing tasks and talking to Phil about their growth.

Nicole & Victor - For some reason I just never have anything to say about them. I think their edit has been getting slightly more invisible but it looks like that's about to change next week.

Chris & Bret - I love Chris's competitive spirit and Bret's more laidback approach to the Race. I would love to see them go all the way to the end.

Becca & Floyd - I loved watching them do the Dinosaur Detour, lol. The freestyle with Phil was cringe x100. I don't remember anything from them in Episode 6.

Leo & Jamal - At the beginning of every episode they're like "We're gonna come in 1st" and then they finish... nowhere near the top :lol: I wouldn't mind if this trend continued.

Rachel & Elissa - I honestly blame the slow cab for their poor finish in Dubai. They definitely shouldn't have switched Detours though. It sucks how they always seem to start the leg in front and end up finishing near last.

Janelle & Britney - They ran 6 whole legs and I feel like they got maybe 6 total minutes of screentime. It's a shame because I don't watch BB and they seem like they had entertainment potential. You gotta admit though they weren't really great racers.

4 > 2 >>>> 5 > 3 > 6 > 1
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:44:19 PM by RaceUntilWeDie »

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
NEXT WEEK ON THE AMAZING RACE!
Show content
Teams are headed to the Swiss Alps on an adventurous escape! And Rachel & Elissa have HAD IT with Nicole & Victor!

So comments, complaints, concerns, or calamities about this double episode night?
Show content
I wouldn't be surprised if next week's preview had to do with the U-Turn vote, because I can easily picture either Nicole or Rachel going back on their leg 3 deal and U-Turning the other team

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I was going to place this announcement in the main discussion thread for "Been to...", but I would like to bring the awareness here first since it's going to affect live commentary in the coming weeks.

Between the long season 30 and 31 hiatus, I switched employers to where the grass is greener. Under my new assignments, I was offered the opportunity to do fieldwork for clients in carrying out their business strategies and construction of new franchise branches. One of these tasks require me to travel internationally to Athens, Greece two weeks from now where I am meeting with my clients for the entirety of June to develop and set a protocol for their corporation. It would be AWESOME if someone could be my substitute for the remainder of the season starting in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sorry I didn't get to explain this sooner, but it was better now than wait until next week catching everyone off-guard in a scramble. I really want the people who are fortunate and counting on attending the live updates to have a great experience.

Rachel...:tu SO much for all the wonderful updates!!  You are the BEST and will be missed.

But I know we all join in wishing you an AMAZING trip to Athens! Hope you will have time to explore the wonders of Greece yourself. Enjoy!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:09:39 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.