Author Topic: TAR 31 EPISODE 4 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 5/8/19 9PM EST *read Post 1*  (Read 22079 times)

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
I personally loved that the Head-to-Head was cut from the episode, it gives me an old-school TAR vibe.

Offline Malcooolm

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Ladies and gentleman...Miss California!
I personally loved that the Head-to-Head was cut from the episode, it gives me an old-school TAR vibe.
In my opinion, I'm fine with tasks being cut, as long as the episode still makes sense without them. Without the Head-to-Head, the editing was way too choppy and a lot of stuff didn't make sense. It would've explained why Leo & Jamal fell so far behind and why Corinne & Eliza were so emotional at the mat.
Love, an unapologetic Lisa & Michelle stan

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
The H2H was actually a badminton task accordinf the person who wrote on Wikipedia.

Offline Sinjoh

• RFF Not So Newbie
In my opinion, I'm fine with tasks being cut, as long as the episode still makes sense without them. Without the Head-to-Head, the editing was way too choppy and a lot of stuff didn't make sense. It would've explained why Leo & Jamal fell so far behind and why Corinne & Eliza were so emotional at the mat.
It would've definitely helped explain why Corinne & Eliza were emotional and a bit more angry at Rachel & Elissa, but not why Leo & Jamal fell so far behind. Based on Nicole & Victor and Corinne & Eliza's testimonies on the Head-to-Head and a little deductive reasoning, the battles would've had to occur in the following order:
    • Becca & Floyd vs. Colin & Christie
    • Becca & Floyd vs. Nicole & Victor
    • Becca & Floyd vs. Chris & Bret
    • Becca & Floyd vs. Either Leo & Jamal or Tyler & Korey
    • Leo & Jamal vs. Tyler & Korey
    • Leo & Jamal vs. Rachel & Elissa
    • Rachel & Elissa vs. Janelle & Britney
    • Rachel & Elissa vs. Corinne & Eliza

Leo & Jamal could've only arrived 5th or 6th, meaning that they had issues finding the park (which is about 4 kilometers and would take about 45 minutes to get to on foot from where the Detour is).

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
really weird ending. I really want to know what happened during the head to head. But i hope they get rid of this stupid H2H forever

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
I always find it strange when they cut things totally and don't even give bonus scenes online.  It's like a rewriting of history and the general audience will be completely ignorant of it as well.  I like to think of it as a reality show rather than a game where a very small number of the audience try to outsmart the producers.  I've always felt it's been lower priority than shows like Big Brother and Survivor. It never has a reunion show for example yet the audience don't even bring that up.

The end of this episode was funny.  The polar bear made what could have been a boring start better.  The irritation task wasn't that great, it reminded me of Survivor where You have people trying to sink you but there it was much more serious, even with opportunities to make a boat leak.  I like where contestants have to build things and that they weren't told where they were wrong, much less to do here than you would have in the classic race but somehow still caused problems.  The tougher tasks in the classic race makes me think that the best racers there would largely outclass the better ones now.

Rachel tweeted that she had asked their taxi to wait for them at Snowtown and that the other vets did not

They may have but the taxis might have refused.  There's plenty of luck in taxi drama, I'd take airport drama over it.  Taxi drama is obviously a lot cheaper.  I've always wanted them to use public transport more on the race anyway.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
9. Corinne & Eliza - I already posted this comment, but why does Eliza (& Corinne) hate the Reilly sisters so much? This one-sided hate reminds me of Vanessa from Season 20 and now I'm wishing they lasted longer. Because as negative as they were, they were good TV. That awkward elimination though--I don't remember there being such an awkward elimination since Jessica & John in Season 22.

https://twitter.com/eorlins/status/1126834861065547777

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
I don't get why folks here like Corinne and Eliza.   :groan:

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
I don't get why folks here like Corinne and Eliza.   :groan:
Because a lot of those same people can't stand the people who Corinne & Eliza have bashed

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
I'm obviously a fan of the Reillys, but not of Leo & Jamal. So I loved seeing Corinne & Eliza annoy Leo & Jamal so much.
But even without knowing Corinne & Eliza and Rachel & Elissa are friends now, I didn't have a major problem with what they said about them. If anything, worse and more hateful stuff was said about Rachel on TAR20 and TAR24.

I enjoyed Corinne & Eliza spazzing all the time and playing up their harmless villain characters. But I do admit, it would've gotten old after a few more Legs. And there were a few times when they were being mean to the locals/taxi drivers so that's not nice. I certainly would prefer them to stay over some of the other teams left, that's for sure.

I think also TAR hasn't had such clear cut "villains" in recent years, so they're almost kind of refreshing lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I'm obviously a fan of the Reillys, but not of Leo & Jamal. So I loved seeing Corinne & Eliza annoy Leo & Jamal so much.
But even without knowing Corinne & Eliza and Rachel & Elissa are friends now, I didn't have a major problem with what they said about them. If anything, worse and more hateful stuff was said about Rachel on TAR20 and TAR24.

I enjoyed Corinne & Eliza spazzing all the time and playing up their harmless villain characters. But I do admit, it would've gotten old after a few more Legs. And there were a few times when they were being mean to the locals/taxi drivers so that's not nice. I certainly would prefer them to stay over some of the other teams left, that's for sure.

I think also TAR hasn't had such clear cut "villains" in recent years, so they're almost kind of refreshing lol

PERFECT summary.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
The only true 'villain' team I think the race has really had was Art and JJ in their first season, they definitely stirred things up more than normal.

Offline Malcooolm

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Ladies and gentleman...Miss California!
Of the top of my head, I would say Max & Katie, Tim & Marie, and Carol & Brandy were villains.
Love, an unapologetic Lisa & Michelle stan

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
The only true 'villain' team I think the race has really had was Art and JJ in their first season, they definitely stirred things up more than normal.
I'd say that Rob & Amber on their first season were also a villain team, because in true Rob fashion, he would do whatever was legally allowed to get ahead, no matter how morally questionable his tactics

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
I'd say that Rob & Amber on their first season were also a villain team, because in true Rob fashion, he would do whatever was legally allowed to get ahead, no matter how morally questionable his tactics

I never saw Rob as a villain but he did play the game.  What I did see out of Rob that first season is his support of his partner.  I was not a fan of his coming into that season but the way he supported Amber totally turned me into a fan of his.  Instead of yelling/screaming at her if she was having a hard time or couldn't do something, he was encouraging her to just do her best.

I also didn't see Art & JJ as villains... just a couple of guys with large egos thinking they were better than everyone else.

I don't think "stirring the pot" makes anyone a villain.  Many teams "stir the pot" and if they get away with it, more power to 'em.

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member

I think they refrained from having these clear-cut villains because they need to preserve the number of viewers.

Some of you mentioned Romber in your posts. I would honestly be quite happy to see them back in TAR, and especially TAR31 in a faceoff against Colin and Christie. Personally I do not wish to see Rob again on Survivor. I prefer his TAR persona to his Survivor persona. I am assuming they are not back because Amber does not want to do another reality show?

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member

I think they refrained from having these clear-cut villains because they need to preserve the number of viewers.

Some of you mentioned Romber in your posts. I would honestly be quite happy to see them back in TAR, and especially TAR31 in a faceoff against Colin and Christie. Personally I do not wish to see Rob again on Survivor. I prefer his TAR persona to his Survivor persona. I am assuming they are not back because Amber does not want to do another reality show?

I would also love to see them back on TAR but with 4 kids, I rather doubt that will ever happen.  Amber appears to be embracing the family life and has said she has no desire to be back on tv.  As for Rob and Survivor...  your wish is not happening.  He is back on Survivor on Season 39 but not an active player (along with Sandra).  And, with the rumored all winners season coming for #40, I can't imagine that Rob won't want to do that.

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member

I would also love to see them back on TAR but with 4 kids, I rather doubt that will ever happen.  Amber appears to be embracing the family life and has said she has no desire to be back on tv.  As for Rob and Survivor...  your wish is not happening.  He is back on Survivor on Season 39 but not an active player (along with Sandra).  And, with the rumored all winners season coming for #40, I can't imagine that Rob won't want to do that.
I heard he dropped out of the rumored all winners season

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
Corrine & Eliza :(  (Welp, time to watch their seasons of Survivor then).

First season Corrine is on high dose, we are not the same person after watch it
second season is a good one, no corrine on high dose
and for aunty orlin, vanuatu is a great one and micronesia is one of the best, so damn good
Swarm stupidity

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
Villain doesn't have to mean horrible people it can just mean anti-heroes or people it might be fun to root against for some of the audience.

People who are more irritating are annoying teams who don't have much gameplay or often even that much skill and are just loud, shouty and without any real quirky character or interesting relationship to make up for it.

Rob and Amber I actually quite liked, it seemed a nice relationship and I liked the dynamic much more than Rob on his own on Survivor.  I appreciated that they would play the game and at the same time be good racers.  I always see it as a race and not something where you should expect to get help from other teams,  I don't care that much if some teams are burned by believing wrong information from others.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Team Fun, in their recap--here--mention that teams were instructed to take bus 44 from the Detour to a spot near the pitstop.