Author Topic: TAR 31 EPISODE 4 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 5/8/19 9PM EST *read Post 1*  (Read 22076 times)

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
(although I do appreciate we see teams getting taxis).

I loved that about this episode. Knowing contemporary TAR editors, they would've cut all the taxi struggles and just let Janelle & Britney and Tyler & Korey fall to the back of the pack without any explanation.

I imagine that if they left the H2H in, we wouldn't have seen any of that taxi drama! Or the Corinne/Eliza ending scene :funny:

Now I know why Phil said something along the lines of "Leo & Jamal, it wasn't your day today." I was confused about that line because they performed solidly throughout the leg, they only picked the wrong Detour.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
I enjoyed the taxi drama too. For sure with the H2H, they'd have cut down on that. But I think they've also could've cut down on the RB and Detour time too. And some of the extra stuff with the snowtown as well to fit in the H2H.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
This was a good leg!  :clap2:

Loved the Roadblock and Detour!

However, it's time they get rid of the Speed Bump! It's getting old and dry...

Corrine & Eliza! :(  :'( :torche

Also, what's with the H2H cut? ??? I wonder what the task could of been...

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
So good
the detour is the best so far
and we almost got what we hope for
but instead we got team aunties got their torch snuffed
Chris and bret on romantic love ride
uncle Chris is no match for those viet water ninjas, hes the strongest in GEnXvM
and why is that little girl on mat? we want Elly tran as greeter
and that is not real polar bear
i underestimate BB teams, they are very strong
aunty orlin we hear you, we all have same feeling about them, we hate them so much
Swarm stupidity

Gra1162

My two fav teams battling out for last place is real hard to watch I really want to ugly cry now just like eliza :'(

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
Why does Eliza hate Rachel & Elissa so much? :didimiss: The drama is entertaining but like... :groan: ya look bad.

That ending was iconic LOL I don't remember having such an awkward elimination since Jessica & John in Season 22.

Evans team got awkward welcome on mat in last season
Swarm stupidity

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
and why is that little girl on mat? we want Elly tran as greeter

Is that wrong? Who's Elly tran anyway?

and that is not real polar bear

You don't say :cmaslol

I found it hilarious though when the one inspecting the Speed Bump task is the man in polar bear suit. "More..." "More tight..." :lol:

aunty orlin we hear you, we all have same feeling about them, we hate them so much

I guess you generalised too much with the "we all" there, because at least I don't hate Rachel & Elissa like you.

Anyway, this is a pretty good leg for me, at least much better than the previous leg. The bunching was good considering they're staying in the very same city, but I find the winter-themed task and location is weird considering they're doing it in a tropical country. But I've seen they went to Ski Dubai before, so it's not a big problem for me.

Chris & Bret were really showing that they're a strong team this time. I can't image how cold their hands were when making that snowballs. They really flew ahead during Roadblock and the Detour.

Colin & Christie finally placed 1st! Even with the minor mistake during the Detour, they beat Nicole & Victor to the Pit Stop. They also really positive this leg, I really like Colin's expression when choosing the Detour. Considering how negatively competitive he was during Season 5, this time seeing cheerful Colin really surprised me in a good way.

With the H2H task cut, I don't mind so much because I don't really like that twist for the first place, so cutting that task on air (because also maybe it didn't affect the placements) didn't really grind my gear. That also explains why only Colin & Christie were alone with Phil and not seen checking in closely with Nicole & Victor, it's because N&V were still waiting for the next team to arrive.

The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member

I guess you generalised too much with the "we all" there, because at least I don't hate Rachel & Elissa like you.

Agree...I'm not crazy about Rachel, but to say I hate her is an exaggeration

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Rachel tweeted that she had asked their taxi to wait for them at Snowtown and that the other vets did not. That would've been nice to include in the episode especially since the taxi troubles took up 1/3 of the episode. Also after that whole segment with Corinne & Eliza upset that the BB teams were beating them.

They've also made a point to point out Rachel being a Race vet when it's a "She should know better" moment. But not really in moments where her experience helps.  :)x
Watching the ep again, Rachel & Elissa were already filling their pot with water when Leo & Jamal got the next clue. So they weren't as hopelessly behind as it seemed. The show seems to be really be downplaying them.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:56:46 PM by dryedmangoez »

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
Is that wrong? Who's Elly tran anyway?

shes a famous model from vietnam

You don't say :cmaslol

I found it hilarious though when the one inspecting the Speed Bump task is the man in polar bear suit. "More..." "More tight..." :lol:

ya thats hilarious
but since i dont watch any spoiler whatsoever, i thought they are going to greenland or somewhere around artics and meet a tame polar bear or something

Anyway, this is a pretty good leg for me, at least much better than the previous leg. The bunching was good considering they're staying in the very same city, but I find the winter-themed task and location is weird considering they're doing it in a tropical country. But I've seen they went to Ski Dubai before, so it's not a big problem for me.

Chris & Bret were really showing that they're a strong team this time. I can't image how cold their hands were when making that snowballs. They really flew ahead during Roadblock and the Detour.

Colin & Christie finally placed 1st! Even with the minor mistake during the Detour, they beat Nicole & Victor to the Pit Stop. They also really positive this leg, I really like Colin's expression when choosing the Detour. Considering how negatively competitive he was during Season 5, this time seeing cheerful Colin really surprised me in a good way.

With the H2H task cut, I don't mind so much because I don't really like that twist for the first place, so cutting that task on air (because also maybe it didn't affect the placements) didn't really grind my gear. That also explains why only Colin & Christie were alone with Phil and not seen checking in closely with Nicole & Victor, it's because N&V were still waiting for the next team to arrive.

they cut head to head challenge?
but thats a good tv, they cut it for drama i guess
aah thats explain why aunty orlin so upset
Chris is one of the strongest ever who compete on survivor, but bret is not in good shape
its redemption for colin, but i would like to watch a rematch between colin vs his old nemesis, the broken ox
Swarm stupidity

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Between TAR and Belgian Mole, Vietnam has brought so much entertainment this year. (Side note, Belgian Mole went to the Karaoke Kingdom location from TARC this week). Here's hoping that TAR Vietnam can continue this trend. This leg was intense, so much so that they had to remove a H2H. This leg had taxi struggles, difficult tasks, and an ending that was insane. For as much hate as Corinne & Eliza have been getting online, I'm not going to feed into that. Eliza faced a great fear at the Roadblock. They were already frustrated after falling behind. On top of that after losing a H2H, they took out all of their emotions on the closest people. At the same time, I'm still stunned at that ending.

Colin & Christie calling themselves mom and dad coming to play with all the young millennials (even though Chris & Bret were on the Gen-X tribe).  :funny:
Chris failing to up a down escalator.  :funny:
Britney mowing down a polar bear.  :funny:
Polar bear eating a snowball.  :funny:
Colin: "Being irritated is super fun."  :funny:
Tyler & Britney complimenting each other on doing nothing.  :funny:
Corinne: "I'm not a positive person. I don't know how to spin this."  :funny:

Snowballs: The picky polar bear was fun, but it was a pretty average Speed Bump.
Scooter: Find it hilarious that Belgian Mole and TAR aired similar tasks within weeks of each other. This was a pretty tough task and was judged pretty harshly.
Irritation: Love any task that reminds me of Flo. Task was straightforward, but I did like the addition of the splashing fishermen. Sad that we didn't get a Flo breakdown, but at least we got a sunken boat.
Irrigation: Task seemed easy when I first saw it, but it ended up being harder than I thought it would due to the harsh judging.
H2H: Not much I can say about a task that didn't air though based on one of Elise's tweets it might have been badminton.

https://twitter.com/EliseDoganieri/status/1126347384395419648

Sad there's no TAR next week, more so due to the fact that I am not looking forward to the outcome of Survivor next week.

4/5

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah, Corinne & Eliza said in an interview with Coco Caliente, the H2H was badminton

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
H2H: Not much I can say about a task that didn't air though based on one of Elise's tweets it might have been badminton.

https://twitter.com/EliseDoganieri/status/1126347384395419648
Cool! Another HCMC task recycled from TARA5!  :lol:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Yeah, Corinne & Eliza said in an interview with Coco Caliente, the H2H was badminton

Listening to the podcast now, it's hilarious how the taxi moment between the Reillys and Corinne & Eliza was absolutely not even an issue  :lol:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Woah, wait a minute. Corinne says Rachel & Elissa were on their 3rd or 4th try at the Head to Head when they faced off.

So it would appear the show just played around with time to fit the faux footrace edit. Rachel & Elissa likely lost against Janelle & Britney and Leo & Jamal and maybe Tyler & Korey.

Also, Corinne & Eliza arrived at the H2H in time to see Chris & Bret win their face off.

Interesting that all teams possibly could've been waiting around there at the same time. And that could explain them deciding not to use it anymore in the episode. Could've been really boring lol
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:07:39 PM by dryedmangoez »

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
Woah, wait a minute. Corinne says Rachel & Elissa were on their 3rd or 4th try at the Head to Head when they faced off.

So it would appear the show just played around with time to fit the faux footrace edit. Rachel & Elissa likely lost against Janelle & Britney and Leo & Jamal and maybe Tyler & Korey.

Also, Corinne & Eliza arrived at the H2H in time to see Chris & Bret win their face off.

Interesting that all teams possibly could've been waiting around there at the same time. And that could explain them deciding not to use it anymore in the episode. Could've been really boring lol
This could be a very good sign that they might be dropping off the Head-To-Head from the next seasons on

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Ah, continued listening to Eliza's portion of the interview and she says Rachel & Elissa had lost to Leo & Jamal and Janelle & Britney. So they likely arrived 7th before Janelle & Britney.

Plus they talked about a lot of placement shifts like Becca & Floyd, I think, losing a few times as well.

Not sure about them dropping the H2H. In one of Phil's recent pre-TAR31 interviews, the interviewer brought up the complaint that it should be earlier in the Leg. And Phil defended its placement and said it wouldn't really make a difference where on the Leg the H2H would be.

So that could be taken as them being happy with it, just that the teams bunching up on this Leg didn't really make for good TV.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Not to keep harping on the irrelevant Head-to-Head (lol), but just based on the chat between Vicole and Corinne & Eliza, the face offs might have gone like this: (I think they mentioned Team Fun actually arrived first and were very upset after losing a few times)

Becca & Floyd vs Colin & Christie = Colin & Christie
Becca & Floyd vs Nicole & Victor = Nicole & Victor
Becca & Floyd vs Chris & Bret = Chris & Bret
Becca & Floyd vs Tyler & Korey/Leo & Jamal = Becca & Floyd
Tyler & Korey vs Leo & Jamal = Tyler & Korey
Leo & Jamal vs Rachel & Elissa = Leo & Jamal
Rachel & Elissa vs Janelle & Britney = Janelle & Britney
Rachel & Elissa vs Corinne & Eliza = Rachel & Elissa

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
I’m going to bet Leo & Jamal lost three times as opposed to Tyler & Korey twice just because Phil said it wasn’t their day lol.

I’m so confused as to how Becca & Floyd reached the mat first. How far was the Pit Stop and were Becca & Floyd doing the Detour at the same time as Vicole and Colin & Christie? Were  Becca & Floyd in first all along? I have to rewatch the episode, lol. Even though some of the editing was confusing I think the editing team did a great job cutting the H2H because I would’ve never guessed there was one.

Also, we could assume that Tyler & Korey saw Colin & Christie win (OR came early enough to know how many teams checked in through gossip) because how on earth did Korey know they were team number 5. How close were the teams?!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Corinne/Eliza mentioned they already arrived at the H2H by the 3rd face off. And Corinne mentioned how annoyed they were that their BFFs Chris & Bret didn't even acknowledge them as they left the court (presumably after they won their H2H) and encouraged them or something, knowing C&E were last.

They talked about how it was a long wait, but it seemed like Victor & Nicole didn't even see Corinne & Eliza at the H2H as V&N were surprised how long C&E had to wait at the H2H. Which makes sense if V&C won the 2nd face off and C&E arrived by the 3rd.

I definitely think there was a lot of work in the editing room. Rachel & Elissa were already filling their pot when Leo & Jamal were opening their clue. But the ep made it seem like the Reillys were still trying to assemble the wheel a long time after.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
So Rachel & Elissa probably finished the water wheel task sooner than the edit implied, yet they still fell from 2nd to 8th. The other Detour must’ve been a breeze (but we already knew that).

I just wanna know how long this Leg was from the polar bear to Pit Stop. Maybe 2-4 hours max?

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Quick Google maps look shows about 2 hours total just on the road. But the tasks themselves didn't look like they took too long. The wait at the H2H probably took up the most time.

What's interesting is Tam Vu Park is 9 mins by car from Bình Quoi Village, but ~45 min on foot. Yet the episode made it seem like Colin & Christie, Victor & Nicole and Corinne & Eliza all ran to the Pit Stop/park. Those scenes could've come from anywhere in the Leg, but none of the Route Markers were within walking distance. That could be how Team Fun zoomed into 1st place if they took a taxi while the others walked.  :duno:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Could this be where the bus video fits in? The route is here.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Corinne & Eliza did mention something about a bus and I think seeing the other teams getting on them.  :duno:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Well this episode has turned into the biggest editing scandal since Peter & Sarah. :lol:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)