Author Topic: TAR 31 EPISODE 3 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 5/1/19 9PM EST *read Post 1*  (Read 13858 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Tyler is shocked at how hard this task is. Colin makes the first tomato thrown at him as he is almost immediately rejected.

Leo & Jamal finally finish the dance Detour in last place, off to the karaoke bar! Rachel chooses the Roadblock and works with Tyler for a little bit.

Colin gets a standing ovation (not like they could sit anyway) and are off in 3rd place.

Becca & Floyd must play Frogger against the motorbikes and win the game. They also arrive at the mat in 1st place! For coming in first, they are awarded a trip for two to the Bahamas where they will stay six nights at the Hilton. Floyd accepts his offer. He says redemption in Vietnam has never been so fun, pun intended.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Rachel and Janelle work together as promised allies to get through the Roadblock together and learn the lyrics.

Eliza redeems herself and finishes the Roadblock with a scream and a shout! Woohoo! The comeback kids!

Nicole & Victor are TEAM NUMBER 2 at the Pit Stop! Vic is learning about his relationship along the way. Colin & Christie are TEAM NUMBER 3!

Janelle and Rachel are saying the Afghanimals are still on their tail. Chris & Bret are not doubting their power as they arrive at the bar.

-COMMERCIALS-
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
The Roadblock judge is reaaaaally lenient.

Not sure if I like having 2 musical challenges in one leg.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The Roadblock judge is reaaaaally lenient.

Not sure if I like having 2 musical challenges in one leg.
Two recital tasks in two legs in a row is not my favorite combo.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
We return with Leo & Jamal catching up to the bottom of the pack as the sheep in question are feeling the pressure, infuriated with themselves. Leo is booed immediately as he just says screw it to the lyrics and embarrasses himself in front of everyone. Janelle finishes next while Rachel also get it.

Tyler & Korey are TEAM NUMBER 4. Corinne & Eliza are TEAM NUMBER 5!

Bret messes up again. Leo & Jamal finish the Roadblock and are off! Bret then finishes afterward.

Janelle & Britney are TEAM NUMBER 6, representing the stereotypical moms of the race.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
Friendly reminder, could we please put the “next week on the Amazing Race” in spoilers for those of us who want to be surprised? :)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Janelle & Britney, Rachel & Elissa, Chris & Bret and Leo & Jamal are in a taxi race. The sisters arrive on the Pit Stop in 7TH PLACE with the help of the moms... :res: Leo & Jamal arrive on the mat in 8TH PLACE.

Meanwhile, Chris & Bret are the last team to arrive on the Pit Stop. I'm sorry to tell you... that this is a NON-ELIMINATION LEG. At some time in the next leg, they must complete a Speed Bump. They want to get back on track.

This was a REALLY, and I mean really brief non-elimination motivational segment. Yikes.

-END CREDITS-

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
NEXT WEEK ON THE AMAZING RACE: (as requested by nrh2110 ;) )
Show content
Teams brave a Vietnamese moped hot mess! And Rachel & Elissa and Corinne & Eliza are caught in the crossfires of each others' actions. Elissa is shocked at the toxicity of Team Life Hacks.

So thoughts, concerns, comments, or epiphanies on tonight's episode?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
NEXT WEEK ON THE AMAZING RACE: (as requested by nrh2110 ;) )
Show content
Teams brave a Vietnamese moped hot mess! And Rachel & Elissa and Corinne & Eliza are caught in the crossfires of each others' actions. Elissa is shocked at the toxicity of Team Life Hacks.

So thoughts, concerns, comments, or epiphanies on tonight's episode?

Don't forget there's also
Show content
sledding and a female racer running over a polar bear
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
Can't believe Colin can dance while Christie does not  :funny:
Colin seems to be having fun throughout this leg  :funny:

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
TEAMS:
1. Becca & Floyd - Nice to finally see them on top even though this leg was kinda sorta designed just for Floyd.
2. Nicole & Victor - Hoping to see them win a leg soon, they've been racing well. Also, Victor was the best karaoke singer and the only one who deserved to pass tbh.
3. Colin & Christie - They need to dominate a leg or completely melt down because right now, they're just.. there. I love Colin's energy lol especially when they arrived at the mat.
4. Tyler & Korey - It's kind of surprising they haven't finished in the Top 2 yet... they finished in 1st/2nd for the first 5 legs of S28. I'm not complaining, though. I like non-dominant Tyler & Korey better.
5. Corinne & Eliza - lol at them somehow passing Tyler & Korey at the Detour! They're definitely one of the more frantic/aggressive F/F teams (compared to, say, Nicky & Kim or Ally & Ashley from S23) and I like that about them. And their negativity is actually hilarious. I lol'd at Eliza annoying Victor at the Roadblock.
6. Janelle & Britney - They finally got airtime this week but I still don't have much to say about them other than that they're moms lol.
7. Rachel & Elissa - They don't know how to work together as a team and I feel like that's gonna backfire on them soon. It's always a blame game whenever they're struggling.
8. Leo & Jamal - Nice to see them at the back. Hopefully they're even slightly humbled but I wouldn't count on it lol
9. Chris & Bret - They were getting an unusually large amount of airtime so it was obvious they were coming in 1st or last. It's kinda weird tho how they seemed excited to make a comeback when their placements have been 7th-8th-9th so far.

TASKS:
Meh, I don't even wanna break them down this leg. They were all standard TAR tasks but they didn't belong in a single episode together. It just made the whole leg feel like a replacement leg (i.e cheap).

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
- I'm sorry for complaining about the editing every week but not sorry. The editors have completely given up on consistency. Not showing "Currently in ___ place" after teams complete tasks, rarely ever showing "PROCEED TO: ______" Route Infos (something I forgot to mention in the first 2 legs), and even Phil's standups seem rushed.
- The teams are really carrying this season tbh. Best inter-team interaction since idk when.

Next episode definitely looks a lot fuller (and physical!) than what we got this episode. Hope it doesn't let me down like this episode did.

So far, in terms of legs: 2 > 3 > 1

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster

We have clear front runners already after 3 episodes. (Nicole & Victor, Colin & Christie)
Whereas Corinne & Eliza, Janelle & Brittney and obviously Chris & Bret are falling behind.  :groan:

The situation looks like season 28 all over again. (Dancers, Tyler & Korey, Burnie & Ashley, Brodie & Kurt in front, Erin & Joslyn, Scott & Blair and Sheri & Cole always at the back)

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
Thank you so much Rachel! Really appreciate it.

I’ll post my thoughts when I get back from the bar haha (or tm morning)

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
3. Colin & Christie - They need to dominate a leg or completely melt down because right now, they're just.. there. I love Colin's energy lol especially when they arrived at the mat.

Completely agree. They've been so disappointingly boring so far imo.

4. Tyler & Korey - It's kind of surprising they haven't finished in the Top 2 yet... they finished in 1st/2nd for the first 5 legs of S28. I'm not complaining, though. I like non-dominant Tyler & Korey better.

In their defense, they still have finished in the front of the pack in 3rd and 4th and only finished 7th in leg 2 because of the u-turn. Even with the u-turn, they still finished ahead of two non-u-turned albeit weak teams and the team that u-turned them.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 11:17:55 PM by Jro »

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
This leg was just okay. Nothing in this leg stuck out. First of all this is three legs where all teams are on the same flight. Can this just stop, all teams being on the same flight is annoying, I'm glad they're showing scenes at airports, but its not scenes the fans want. The Detour was terrible and boring. Teams catching the prawns was boring, and the dancing task sucked. The Roadblock did not need to be there and felt repetitive after we JUST saw one side of the Detour being performing something. Also this leg felt extremely short too.

Rating 2/5

Teams I like:
Colin & Christie (To be fair, they didn't start to get their iconic moments until Legs 4-6 in TAR5)
Becca & Floyd
Corinne & Eliza

Teams I'm meh on:
Nicole & Victor
Janelle & Britney
Rachel & Elissa
Chris & Bret

Teams I don't like:
Leo & Jamal
Tyler & Korey

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
I'm not the only one here who thought Corinne's "Gangnam Style" comment to the taxi driver was a bit racist, right?

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Very disappointing episode! :(

We don't need 2 performing tasks in one episode and Rachel really needs to stop bitching and moaning because I am getting rather sick of it and it's ruining the season for me!

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:40:11 PM by Hubickichibi »
Swarm stupidity

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:40:32 PM by Hubickichibi »
Swarm stupidity

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
Rating for this episode : 7/10

Annoyed by the leg design this leg :
1. No route marker between detour and roadblock... literally took out the potential navigation problem between the two tasks.
2. Roadblock's judge appears to be a bit easy. I know the pronunciation is the main area of judgement, but teams have to sing a great tune as well right? This is a karaoke task not reading aloud.
3. Tasks set in this leg are just too similar in nature. Why put two music/rhythm-based performance tasks in a row? It just makes some teams standing out in an extremely significant extent (team fun / Nicole & Victor) while some lagging behind (Chris/Bret). Not a good leg design at all.

Meanwhile, teams still deliver in this episodes :
1. Rachel's 'I am not 35!' comment during the detour
2. Corinne & Eliza's whole prawn catching detour <3333  :)x
3. Eliza trying to annoy Colin and Victor <3333  :funny:
4. Afghanimals trying to fake our Corinne & Eliza at the first route marker  :funny:
5. Janelle & Brittney almost crashing a wedding party  :cheer:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Teams ranking after this leg :

Love :
Corinne & Eliza  :luvya: (these two are genius <333 Funny moments at task, creating inter-team dramas <333 Can't imagine how the season will go without these two)
Colin & Christie (More personality shown than the past two weeks. Happy to see Colin having fun with tasks)

Like :
Rachel & Elissa (Their bickering and blaming-each-other after failure at a task is actually funny  :funny:, love Rachel's lines of speech as well)
Leo & Jamal (Their tricks are becoming kind of repetitive... Would be annoyed if they continue doing so for the whole season)
Nicole & Victor (Not a fan for sweet and calm couple, but these two are going to be an exception!)
Janelle & Britney (Britney's way of speaking always amazed me <3 From last week's "bareback" to this week "we almost crashed a wedding party" <3)

Don't like :
Team Fun (Them being OTT positively throughout the race has annoyed me since S29. This episode just further disgusted me when they are being OTT throughout the whole leg)
Tyler & Korey (Tyler's pose right after they passed the detour reminds me how I was disgusted by him throughout S28  :groan:. Luckily the editing focus has been on Korey so far this season)

Unknown :
Chris & Bret (I literally don't know much about them after 3 episodes, only remember them saying "way harder than survivor" almost every single episodes :duno:)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
I wonder if this really was a last minute Leg or something. They had to throw something together at the last minute so they just looked to the most recent Ho Chi Minh City visits from TAR Asia and Canada and just recycled those tasks.

And it appears the teams spent the entire day in Luang Prabang between the Pit Stop and their flight out which explains the sightings of teams just walking around for the day sightseeing and shopping. Plus the initial speculation last year that it was a half-Laos/half-Vietnam Leg.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
In this case, I don't blame them for the bunching. They had to take what flight they could get.

Laos is apparently a difficult country to fly and in out of. Filming took 2 days after Japan, and another 2 days before Vietnam.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
So my thoughts.

First off, I can’t be the only one that was expecting a H2H/Face Off right? I hated how the had the first clue be the detour, second clue (still at the detour) roadblock, and then straight to pit stop. Last season when that happened it meant a H2H but I guess not this time.

Honestly nothing really stood out in this leg. At least if they were gonna go to Vietnam so close to S29, they should’ve done it with really good tasks (although I will say, I’m really happy that Becca and Floyd got redemption). The teams were necessary significantly interesting this leg, even Leo and Jamal were kind of boring.

Hoping for a better episode next week!

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
Can't believe Colin can dance while Christie does not  :funny:
Colin seems to be having fun throughout this leg  :funny:
I remember Christie making a joke about her poor dance skills on Instagram. She said that whenever she competed in pageants, the director would always put her in the back during the opening number, because she was that bad at the choreography :funny:

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
hey i just remember that flower market is also on TARA5, why they do it again
there still so many to explore in vietnam, also they can switchback to duck whisperer challenge like in zev season, i'd love to see some mika meltdown
Swarm stupidity