Author Topic: TAR 31 EPISODE 1 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 4/17/19 9PM EST *read Post 1*  (Read 18358 times)

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
Finally.. Amazing Race on my screen after a long hiatus, I wish the premiere was 1,5 hours.
i like how their navigation skill tested in this leg, but hate they did Japanese game show task again in Japan, like there was nothing else to do. Funny to see comments from non-TAR teams like "It's harder than it looks" or "we'd rather be on the island" :D

Interesting, Art & JJ are serving the penalty at the RoadBlock location, not the Pit Stop? ???

I just realized that

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
To be honest I think even Art and JJ fans are disappointed in their performance considering that they ended up taking the 4-hour penalty instead of taking a short break and try the roadbloack again. What a major letdown for their fans lol
Considering they were one of the most purely disliked teams from season 20....  :duno: Not going to say karma told them so, but...
(Heck, I have no clue why they were brought back. The most defining events they had for me was call out the "kindergarten teachers", give Bopper & Mark their prize money in the Turin leg, and JJ injuring his hand from scrap metal in Cochin.)

And side note: We didn't have a repeat married hippie couple elimination! The walking Anita & Arthur curse has been broken! :clap2:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster

Interesting, Art & JJ are serving the penalty at the RoadBlock location, not the Pit Stop? ???

I just realized that

Not that different from Flight Time and Big Easy,  Franz Kafka RB penalty in Czech Republic, when they got eliminated in TAR15. If I remembering that correctly they served the penalty on the RB spot, before they were allowed to continue racing.

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

I just realized that

Not that different from Flight Time and Big Easy,  Franz Kafka RB penalty in Czech Republic, when they got eliminated in TAR15. If I remembering that correctly they served the penalty on the RB spot, before they were allowed to continue racing.

TAR 7 also had teams wait out the penalty at the Roadblock. TAR 22 & 25 were unique cases in that they were that last 3 teams, so there was no point in having them wait 4 hours before going to the Pit Stop. They also couldn't wait on site during TAR 6 during to the gondola closing. In this case, the Pit Stop close to the Roadblock, so it didn't make a difference where they waited.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
I'm gonna do a rewatch now, but I'm surprised how everyone's ranting about the editing.
I actually thought it was all pretty fine, I got to understand how any team fell behind unlike S30 premiere.

There are 11 teams, and this is the premiere with introductions and all that. You're not gonna get as good editing as for a F6 or even a F10, because the episode is packed by default. This was good.
I think editing in terms of actual content and just stylistically/visually, editing feels basic/cheap/not slick. But that's nothing new.

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member
I was really annoyed with Nicole and Victor looking shocked she HAD to do the second Roadblock. Her victim attitude, needing a man to always save her makes me crazy!

And really makes me wish we had a Jen and Kristi back on this season. Strong women who don’t bitch and moan to get people to feel sorry for them.

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
I was really annoyed with Nicole and Victor looking shocked she HAD to do the second Roadblock. Her victim attitude, needing a man to always save her makes me crazy!

And really makes me wish we had a Jen and Kristi back on this season. Strong women who don’t bitch and moan to get people to feel sorry for them.

This probably isn't the right place to put this, but regarding the second part, Jen said on Justin Scheman's Racers Recap thing that nobody from S30 got contacted for S31, so there's that. They could also be holding teams for a full all-stars season.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
The Survivor cast in this really is meh, was really hoping Rupert and wife would get eliminated.  Art and JJ were villains but they brought the drama in the first Amazing Race I watched live and the last really classic one for me.  Would have been interesting seeing them v Rachel again.  And penalty eliminations aren't really the best.  The 'mountain' just needed some patience and figuring out anyway.  Otherwise Japan is a great first location, the girl doing the does task really found it funny.

This show has been off TV for so long I wonder if that will affect the ratings.

I thought this "Reality Showdown was gonna flop, but I'm interested in some of the teams from Survivor. (These teams might convince me to watch their seasons of Survivor, if I enjoyed them so much), because I've never watched Survivor before.

There are much more interesting people on Survivor than what they picked here.

I think there was another youtube team I liked more (maybe even a couple, one way back who had a memorable NEL and another in more recent years).  But the Amazing Race team I'm really disappointed to see back are Becca and Floyd, just too over the top and annoying (mainly her really).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:27:27 PM by Musicon »

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
Note - The following is coming from someone who knows NOTHING about the Survivor & Big Brother teams.  :funny:

I'll start of with what I didn't miss:
- The scattering of the team introductions. I've never liked this from the first time they did, and I dislike it more with every season they do it.
- Phil STILL not announcing all teams placements. I know we haven't had it for some time but it still really bugs me. And for some reason it really erked me that editing left out Phil saying "You're the last team to arrive" to Art & JJ.

As for the episode, I'm in the same boat as most here, the tasks were awful and the leg design was shocking bad.

I'm definitely in the minority too because I was a huge Art & JJ fan first time around. I was sold on them the second they gave Bopper & Mark their prize for winning Leg 4. So was sad to see them go, although Rupert & Laura were my pre race newbie faves so can't be too upset about it.

I'll give this episode the benefit of the doubt though as it is the premiere and most premieres will never reach the pinnacle of Season 18's first Leg - The Leg 1 which set the bar for what a 45 minute Leg 1 should be.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Online NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
I thought this "Reality Showdown was gonna flop, but I'm interested in some of the teams from Survivor. (These teams might convince me to watch their seasons of Survivor, if I enjoyed them so much), because I've never watched Survivor before.

There are much more interesting people on Survivor than what they picked here.

Well, it's my first time seeing these people from Survivor and am enjoying them. I really liked Rupert, Corinne, and Eliza. Do you think I should watch their seasons, so I know where they came from?

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
Rupert was best on his first season before he became more self-righteous, and from what I remember Pearl Islands was a watchable early season, though Survivor has obviously changed a great deal since then.  All the other Survivor people on this I don't particularly remember.

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Let's all be glad that Million Dollar Mile was pulled. Let's also be glad that the show rated well. Let's hope that CBS stops trying to find shows to replace TAR. For now, let's enjoy this season. I thought that this was a fun premiere. The tasks themselves weren't anything to write home about; however, the teams for me brought the entertainment. I enjoyed everyone on the show and thought that they all brought something to this episode. With all the complaints that TAR is too task focused, it was great seeing so much self-navigation in this leg. Even the little addition of having teams take a taxi to a subway station and have them search on foot in the park, I loved that this led to multiple teams getting lost. I also never would have guessed that a team would take a penalty this leg, so I was surprised.

My sand is broken.  :funny:
Leo doing everything for Pablo.  :funny:
Elissa riffing her sister on her previous races.  :funny:
Afghanimal's fake argument to throw off the teams. :funny:
Colin Guinn with old man strength.  :funny:
Eliza saying "Go Twinnie."  :funny:

Octopus: Not too much to say about this task though it does make more sense now knowing there was a second part cut.
Shibuya Search: Love that teams were forced to face a language barrier right away.
Sweet Shoe: The task was essentially the opposite of TAR 17 fake food challenge and was pretty fun.
Mount Fuji: TAR decided to bring over the OTEV challenge. Not too much to say as the task itself was pretty simple though it did create some fun moments like Bret climbing the mountain and forgetting the clue. Didn't expect Art to quit, the man has terrible luck with hill challenges.

I'm excited for this season. Looking forward to Laos next week.

3.5/5

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member

This probably isn't the right place to put this, but regarding the second part, Jen said on Justin Scheman's Racers Recap thing that nobody from S30 got contacted for S31, so there's that. They could also be holding teams for a full all-stars season.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
Let's all be glad that Million Dollar Mile was pulled. Let's also be glad that the show rated well. Let's hope that CBS stops trying to find shows to replace TAR. For now, let's enjoy this season. I thought that this was a fun premiere. The tasks themselves weren't anything to write home about; however, the teams for me brought the entertainment. I enjoyed everyone on the show and thought that they all brought something to this episode. With all the complaints that TAR is too task focused, it was great seeing so much self-navigation in this leg. Even the little addition of having teams take a taxi to a subway station and have them search on foot in the park, I loved that this led to multiple teams getting lost. I also never would have guessed that a team would take a penalty this leg, so I was surprised.

Octopus: Not too much to say about this task though it does make more sense now knowing there was a second part cut.
Shibuya Search: Love that teams were forced to face a language barrier right away.
Sweet Shoe: The task was essentially the opposite of TAR 17 fake food challenge and was pretty fun.
Mount Fuji: TAR decided to bring over the OTEV challenge. Not too much to say as the task itself was pretty simple though it did create some fun moments like Bret climbing the mountain and forgetting the clue. Didn't expect Art to quit, the man has terrible luck with hill challenges.

I'm excited for this season. Looking forward to Laos next week.

3.5/5
I wonder if Janelle and Elissa were disappointed that they couldn't do the Mt Fuji roadblock, because they'd both have been great at it, since they each won the OTEV comp

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:01:11 PM by Hubickichibi »
Swarm stupidity

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
The navigation is definitely a plus, would be nice if they could find their own planes too this season.  Phil's genuine attempt at a fake out at the mat was a plus too.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
I finally watched the episode after over a year of hiatus. The leg was intense especially geta on chocolates. Rupert and Laura are so freaking lost in hours to locate the second Roadblock destination.

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member

I think I missed the bolded part. Was this at the chocolate task?

Also, Elissa and Rachel saying "being on the race is supposed to be fun" and they giggled and were actually having fun.  :cheer:

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Eliza said this while Corinne was climbing Mount Fuji. She even tweeted that it was an intentional reference.

https://twitter.com/eorlins/status/1119074267931529217

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
I just realized this is Tyler & Korey’s first time experiencing the Starting Line. Must’ve been really exciting compared to S28’s “virtual” start :groan:

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member

Also, Elissa and Rachel saying "being on the race is supposed to be fun" and they giggled and were actually having fun.  :cheer:
That was one of my favorite parts...Rachel being able to laugh at herself  :lol:

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:08:10 PM by Hubickichibi »
Swarm stupidity