Author Topic: "Race Around the World"  (Read 44444 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
"Race Around the World"
« on: August 25, 2018, 09:23:09 AM »
Thanks to freds for the heads up!

New BBC series!

Race Across The World is an adventure series in a similar vein to CBS’ The Amazing Race which pits pairs of travellers against each other in a race to reach the Far East without taking a single flight, with no smartphone in sight. Each contestant will only have the cash equivalent of an air fare to their destination to pay for their overland travel. If they run out, they’ll need to earn more. Setting out on the adventure of a lifetime, the couples will hit the open road using whatever mode of transport they can – from trains to pickup trucks, from ferries to tuk-tuks – crossing continents and experiencing travel the way we once used to.

And the race is on to reach the finish line in the fastest time, making best use of their money – and strategy – to win a cash prize. Each couple has their own personal motivation for taking part in this once-in-a-lifetime experience, immersing themselves in different cultures, forming bonds and friendships across cultural divides and relying on the kindness of strangers in order to stand the best chance of winning the competition. The series, which has received an order for six episodes, is produced by Studio Lambert – marking their second commission from the BBC this week after their drama The Nest was greenlit for BBC One. The executive producers are Stephen Lambert, Tim Harcourt and Mark Saben.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2018/08/bbc-two-orders-new-romesh-ranganathan-series-the-amazing-race-style-series-race-across-the-world-more/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: "Race Around the World"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Is this the closest to TAR UK as we're going to yet?

Actually sounds amazing <33333

Where is the Far East? ???

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
Actually sounds more like a British version of Peking Express.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
Also a little like NBC's "Lost"?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 11:53:01 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Gra1162

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 12:12:30 AM »

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 12:25:25 AM »

It's a region which compromises China, Russia, Korea, and Japan.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 04:42:57 AM »

I thought that too, there was actually a British version of that in the early 2000s also.  Never been able to see the US one though, so if anyone has links...

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »

I thought that too, there was actually a British version of that in the early 2000s also.  Never been able to see the US one though, so if anyone has links...

Ironically the US version is Lost only the first two drops aired, the third and final one did not due to 9/11, TAR was very lucky to have great ratings, this however is not. The first one teams were dropped in Mongolia, the second in Bolivia. Only the first four drops on the UK one have been found, the final one in Azerbaijan is lost however. We never know where the third drop of the US one went to. So, in total 4/5 of the British one have been found, and none of the US versions have been found.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
Omg I love Romesh Ranganathan he's so funny. Hopefully this will be a good series.

edit: Realised i misread the article, these are exclusive from each other  :groan:

Offline steve2013

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 11:30:04 PM »
For anyone interested it has an air date February 28th meet the players special. Then seems to shift to Sunday’s as 2nd episode will air march 3rd

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
It's always advertised on bbc2, looks really good can't wait.

Offline lemurio

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 05:54:02 AM »
Is this more similar to The Amazing Race (ignoring that planes are forbidden) or to Peking Express??? Or is it a mix of both?

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »
Did not realize we had a thread in the TAR board.

Reposting info I posted in the other reality board. Peach would mind deleting that post?
More info about the show, premiering this SUN on BBC2, including the 5 "teams".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000319z
If you were tasked to race across the world with limited cash and nothing in the way of modern technology, how do you think you’d fare? This Spring, a brand-new BBC Two series will see five teams attempt just that. Race Across The World takes viewers on the trip of a lifetime, following our contestants as they embark on an epic and adrenaline-fuelled adventure, travelling into the unknown without the trappings of modern life.
Our five pairs set off on a race to Singapore without taking a single flight. They will leave behind their smartphones, internet access and credit cards, and will be armed with only the cash equivalent of a one-way airfare to Singapore, the furthest destination by land and rail from the UK, to pay for the entire journey. If they run out, they'll need to earn more. In a competition that sees our teams travel through rather than fly over, their skill, ingenuity and determination will be tested to the extreme as they race through some of the world’s most beautiful scenery, form bonds and friendships across cultural divides and rely on the kindness of strangers in order to stand the best chance of winning.

The teams set off from Greenwich. They must pass through five checkpoints to reach their final destination. First up: the ancient city of Delphi.

Now in their late 50s Sue and Clare have been lifelong friends since school and want to re-live and recapture the magic of the cross-Europe trip they made together 30 years ago. A chance encounter helps them realise they should have put a bit more planning into this crucial first leg.

With his copy of Sophocles in his rucksack, Felix, along with business partner Josh, is impatient to get going but quickly finds out how easy it is, with an estimated 50 days of the journey still to go, to burn through their budget.

Natalie and Shameema, best friends since they met at a youth club aged nine, are determined to save money and so adopt a very focused strategy to do just that – be nice to people along the way, in the hope they will repay this kindness with a train ticket or two. Will it work?

Married couple Jinda and Bindu’s strong negotiation skills stand them in good stead but an unexpected emergency has their trip hanging in the balance.

And as the first day draws to a close, father and son, Darron and Alex have yet to leave London – they’re patiently waiting for an overnight coach to Germany, aiming to leap-frog their fellow competitors and get ahead of the pack in the dash to Delphi.

The race is on, and the stakes are high - everyone wants to be first to the finish line and win the cash prize. As the series unfolds we will see chance encounters, cultural revelations, friendships formed, relationships tested and bonds strengthened as the teams experience, and come face-to-face with, some of the most awe-inspiring locations that modern-day travellers seldom get to see. The dramatic scale and thrilling unpredictability of the race is sure to change their lives forever. The Race Across the World has begun.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2018/08/bbc-two-orders-new-romesh-ranganathan-series-the-amazing-race-style-series-race-across-the-world-more/

Race Across The World is an adventure series in a similar vein to CBS’ The Amazing Race which pits pairs of travellers against each other in a race to reach the Far East without taking a single flight, with no smartphone in sight. Each contestant will only have the cash equivalent of an air fare to their destination to pay for their overland travel. If they run out, they’ll need to earn more. Setting out on the adventure of a lifetime, the couples will hit the open road using whatever mode of transport they can – from trains to pickup trucks, from ferries to tuk-tuks – crossing continents and experiencing travel the way we once used to.

And the race is on to reach the finish line in the fastest time, making best use of their money – and strategy – to win a cash prize. Each couple has their own personal motivation for taking part in this once-in-a-lifetime experience, immersing themselves in different cultures, forming bonds and friendships across cultural divides and relying on the kindness of strangers in order to stand the best chance of winning the competition. The series, which has received an order for six episodes, is produced by Studio Lambert – marking their second commission from the BBC this week after their drama The Nest was greenlit for BBC One. The executive producers are Stephen Lambert, Tim Harcourt and Mark Saben.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
BBC2's schedule has the second checkpoint as the city that eliminated Joey "Fitness" (and Danny).

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 11:52:45 PM »
How am I going to be able to watch the episodes? I tried watching the "Meet the Teams" short episode on the BBC2 site but its geoblocked.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 12:23:48 AM »
please no links here.

If anyone knows please message me and we 'll make a p!ace for it

Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline steve2013

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »
Since official link Georgia said ok to post but if not in the UK your probable will need a VPN

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002tvs/episodes/player

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 02:51:05 PM »
Since official link Georgia said ok to post but if not in the UK your probable will need a VPN

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002tvs/episodes/player
I also think you need a TV licence as well?  >:(

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 04:14:05 PM »
The premiere ended with a To-Be-Continued, the following checkpoint * (airing next week on the 10th) being the first proper elimination:

1.) Felix/Josh
2.) Darren/Alex
3.) Shameema/Natalie
4.) Clare/Sue
5.) Elaine/Tony

* First = Delphi, Greece; Second = Baku, Azerbaijan; Third = Tashkent, Uzbekistan; Fourth = Huangyao, China; Fifth = Kaoh Rong, Cambodia
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:02:08 PM by Granth »

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
Having never seen Pékin Express I decided to give this show a watch and enjoyed what I saw. This show did start off on an expected start though:
Show content
The mother of Jinda from Jinda & Bindu was hospitalized hours after they left. The next day they were told that Jinda's mother's condition had gotten worse, so they pulled themselves from the show. As a result, a replacement team (Elaine & Tony) was brought in, and they only had five hours to prepare. Seriously, I thought it was crazy that Davie from DvG was replaced a day before the show began, but this is something else.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 06:11:34 PM »
Fun episode. Actually didn't get to watch it live, but I will try to post links for the following weeks, as there are live links options.

The narration by John Hannah was interesting, but it still lacks the presence of a proper host.

Show content
Sad seeing a team leave under those circumstances, the episode even ends by the message about the mother's passing.
The budget management is probably the most interesting aspect to this, with teams able to make back some of the budget by working. Without being able to fly, the journey did take days, only for this first leg.
It seems that the entire journey will take almost 2 months, which is more than twice the time they take to film of season of TAR in comparison

Update: There's a rerun of this first episode on BBC2 on Saturday. If someone who missed it, and we can't find a on demand version for easy access until then. PM on Friday, so I'll post the livestream links for people who might want to check it out during the Saturday rerun.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:40:29 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
Seeing as the show's already aired, I do believe that spoiler-tagging is optional. 

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
For those following this thread and who'd like to attempt to watch this live. I'm planning to post links for live streams tomorrow. The show airs 9pm in the UK. As the US, is about to go into Daylight savings mode, adjust your time accordingly.

The current plan is to set up a thread in a members only section, I'll probably set up the thread tomorrow morning and will post the links a few minutes before the episode starts. I'm heading out around lunchtime (my timezone) but will be back about 30-40 minutes before the show airs, just in time to post the links.
If you've followed our TAR Live Stream links or even live stream links I posted for Australian Survivor last year, you'll know where to find the Live Stream links for Race Around the World, the thread will be there tomorrow. If you're new, please sign up for RFF, and if you need to know where to find the links, please PM me and I'll send you the info.

Update: The thread is up. The show is actually airing at 9pm.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:49:34 AM by NumfarPTB »

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »
For those following this thread and who'd like to attempt to watch this live. I'm planning to post links for live streams tomorrow. The show airs 8pm in the UK. As the US, is about to go into Daylight savings mode, adjust your time accordingly.

The current plan is to set up a thread in a members only section, I'll probably set up the thread tomorrow morning and will post the links a few minutes before the episode starts. I'm heading out around lunchtime (my timezone) but will be back about 30-40 minutes before the show airs, just in time to post the links.
If you've followed our TAR Live Stream links or even live stream links I posted for Australian Survivor last year, you'll know where to find the Live Stream links for Race Around the World, the thread will be there tomorrow. If you're new, please sign up for RFF, and if you need to know where to find the links, please PM me and I'll send you the info.

Is there any way I can get links to the first episode non-geoblocked? I would like them please.