Author Topic: TAR 31 AIRING options (CBS shows Death Watch!)  (Read 45247 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 31 AIRING options (CBS shows Death Watch!)
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
So I think given the right cancellations....that TAR 31 could stand a very good chance of airing THIS Fall!

So...

based on the CBS fall schedule, who do you think would be dumped...and would that particular airing time work for TAR?

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-fall-preview-2018/schedule/

:d025: :d025: }:> :d025: :d025:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 31 AIRING options (CBS shows Death Watch!)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:46:20 AM »
This is NOT a WISHLIST Thread...

You should have some factual or good speculative media evidence to back up any  possible show cancellations.

Time of airing is fair.

I have been saying for years that TAR should be Wed at 8 with Survivor at 9. That would give CBS a lockdown for that night. I know the counter arguments...but still.

Our old friend Sunday night would remain a possibility. A HUGE disadvantage are the constant Football overruns, that really hurts LIVE viewing.

Friday night at 10 is NOT for us. This remains a Family Show, and parents who want to watch with their kids and teach "life lessons" along the way are NOT watching LIVE TV on Fridays at 10.
Nor are young viewers...hopefully they are out at Football Games or on dates.....

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
I personally think Magnum PI will not do well. Whether it gets moved around or outright canceled I am not sure. My dad is a huge Magnum PI fan from the old days and he absolutely no desire to watch it. That being said I don't want Amazing Race to be moved to Monday because it'll be battling Monday Night Football. They could potentially move Seal Team to Monday (don't know how well that is doing), and do your idea of Survivor and Amazing Race combo.

Also is CBS not doing Thursday Night Football this year? 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:29:22 PM by Cyzoran »
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
I personally think Magnum PI will not do well. Whether it gets moved around or outright canceled I am not sure. My dad is a huge Magnum PI fan from the old days and he absolutely no desire to watch it. That being said I don't want Amazing Race to be moved to Monday because it'll be battling Monday Night Football. They could potentially move Seal Team to Monday (don't know how well that is doing), and do your idea of Survivor and Amazing Race combo.

Also is CBS not doing Thursday Night Football this year? 

Also Also, I just read i needed evidence or info and sorry I don't have that other than the fact Monday Night Football normally does really well, and my dad doesn't want to watch the new Magnum PI. I'll delete this if necessary.

FOX has Thursday night football starting this year.

Offline I ♥ TAR

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »
So if TAR31 would air this fall, TAR32 would take it place and air in january/february 2019?

I really want some of the new CBS shows to flop just to watch TAR31 ealrlier.  :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »
So if TAR31 would air this fall, TAR32 would take it place and air in january/february 2019?

I really want some of the new CBS shows to flop just to watch TAR31 ealrlier.  :funny:

Well it isn't filmed yet...but I would hope that would be the plan if filming goes well and continues on schedule.. Maybe more like April...but spring 2019 def seems possible.

Hopefully we'll never see speed TAR January again.... :groan:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:12:57 PM »
I have to offer one correction: I know the football delays are very annoying to deal with, but they actually HELP ratings. Football is still the most popular program on television, and when CBS gets the late game, all the evening shows get a boost, with the exception of the 10 PM show which is often bumped out of primetime. It's not a huge boost, mind you, but as someone who has followed the ratings industry for years, it was always noticeable the bumps that either CBS or Fox would get whenever they have the late game.

I think the best cancellation possibility is a show God Friended Me, Sundays at 8. Their other new shows are a reboot of Magnum PI, and a procedural FBI, both of which are right in CBS's yawn-inducing crime wheelhouse.

Personally, I dont see it airing in the fall. Networks are generally a bit more reluctant to pull new shows so quickly these days. I really think TAR31 will fill the same slot as TAR30. Especially when you consider the season has the reality show theme, airing in Survivor's slot makes too much sense, especially given last years favorable results.

If it's true that season 32 is filming this fall, I think we'll see season 31 in January/Feb, and then season 32 will air next summer, likely paired up with BB on the schedule. That would be a fun schedule for the next couple years, and I'd welcome it.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »
Basically everything TheRabbi says above^

The broadcast networks are not as trigger happy today as they once were. This isn't 2007 when CBS quickly yanked Viva Laughlin from the air and plugged in TAR12. CBS even stuck with "Wisdom of the Crowd" for its full 13 episode order this past season despite having horrible ratings (WITH an NFL boost) and the allegations against star Jeremy Piven.

CBS isn't going to suddenly pull any of its returning series early, so all those slots can be ruled out. As for the new shows:

MAGNUM P.I. - Mondays at 9pm
It's a big-name franchise. A remake of a legacy show for CBS.
CBS Mondays have collapsed overall and they are completely rebuilding the night with 2 new comedies at 8pm, Magnum P.I and the returning Bull at 10pm. They are definitely not going to cancel both comedies at the same time, especially with big names like Cedric the Entertainer and Damon Wayans Jr as the stars of both. And they're going to stick with Magnum P.I. for at the very least, the initial 13 episode order. Otherwise it would be a huge embarrassment to yank such a high profile series from the air early.

FBI - Tuesdays at 9pm
It has the cushiest and most comfortable timeslot between the NCISeses. So it likely has the best chance to succeed. Also being Dick Wolf's first non-NBC series in years, CBS is going to want to keep him happy. Most unlikely slot.

GOD FRIENDED ME - Sundays at 8pm
Again, if Wisdom of the Crowd surviving until December is the benchmark, God Friended Me should at least see it to that same point. It will get the NFL boost. Even if it gets sub-1.0s, NCIS:LA and Madam Secretary both hover around and below the same mark.

Bottomline, networks are not quick to pull shows off the air these days. These new series would have to absolutely crash and burn (unlikely) to get yanked early.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:21:11 PM by dryedmangoez »

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 10:18:53 PM »
I’m confused why both of you are saying the NFL will boost CBS viewership. Sunday night football and Monday night football are on NBC and ESPN respectively. I don’t get how that would boost CBS
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »
Sunday afternoon football is on Fox and CBS. And CBS gets the late afternoon game, at the very least, every other week. Sometimes in consecutive weeks. Thus, the NFL overruns which wreak havoc (but give a ratings boost) to CBS' primetime Sunday schedule. Many weeks, the afternoon games actually have more viewers than NBC's primetime game.

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
Oh when you say late game you don’t actually mean the latest game that day. I thought y’all meant the night game. I get it now.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 11:17:06 PM »
What is delaying cancellation of failing new shows is the ability to see live plus seven and live plus 30 on all platforms as well as international sales with each broadcast network mostly owning their own shows on the schedule, i.e., less profit that is shared,more that is kept.
A show has to be really bad in live plus three and plus seven in the demos to face a quick cancellation. Now something could happen that causes a November premiere for a cancelled show (Viva Laughlin, anybody?) but that could mean other shows get shifted in the process.
We'll just have to see how this plays out given CBS' historic insistence on stunt casting to an extreme.

We can't be sure yet how Survivor's week-by-week schedule is being set up for either of its scycles this coming television year. It's quite possible, as I have suggested in the past that CBS understands how well TAR functioned in that Wednesday at 8 timeslot and will work to get two cycles of both Survivor and TAR in this time around. Otherwise, their wasting the opportunity TAR earned with season 30 in that time slot.

I just don't see CBS returning TAR to Sundays. There were constant criticism of that time slot the entire time TAR had it because of the constant TAR time shifting and making it more difficult for families to watch consistently on what was a school night.
-- theschnauzers

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 01:38:09 AM »
Friday nights suck!

Teenagers do not watch TV on Friday nights! As Peach said, they are out on dates or out with their mates. (Personal experience. :))

If TAR does air on Sundays, it will have to be on a 8pm timeslot. You do not have family shows on, at 9pm on school nights :res:

What's on before FBI on Tuesday nights? Is that an option?

Would we get better ratings in the autumn then in spring, as it's too cold to be outside and then you have more people watching TV?

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 02:49:49 AM »
NCIS is on Tuesdays at 8pm before FBI. And no, that's definitely not an option.

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
I think it will stay in the Winter on Wednesdays. I only see it replacing God Friended Me on Sundays because I don't think that show will do well at all. The CBS Entertainment President isn't scared to move things around so I wouldn't be surprised to see TAR air this fall, but I would expect another Winter start between Survivor.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »
I think you all may be forgetting that we should have a second season in the can before end December.

That opens the possibilities for something THIS year and NEXT.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »
Could we have back-to-back airings like TAR6 and TAR7?

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
Of the broadcast networks, except for The CW, CBS has been least likely to shuffle their primetime schedule. And with CBS' primetime suffering big declines the last few years, ratings that were cancel-worthy even just two years ago (relative to other CBS programs) are now good enough to get renewed for next season. (Along with other factors such as international distribution - Hello Elementary!)

And what does having one fully produced and one fully-filmed season by December have anything to do with whether or not TAR31 premieres before the end of the year? They could have three seasons in the can, but if there's no available slot on the schedule, then there's no available slot on the schedule. Simple as that.

If you want to force TAR31 onto the air before the end of 2018, just hope and pray for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday of CBS' primetime schedule to completely and utterly collapse. (Which is again, unlikely.) Because you can immediately rule out Wednesday-Saturday.

Offline GMR 602

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
I thought TAR was close to being on the fall schedule this year. Wonder why it didn’t make it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 07:23:48 AM »
We're the "pinch hitter" lol. Put us in and watch us shine!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
With the shakeup at CBS, could WRP consider shopping the show elsewhere, or are they tied to CBS?

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 11:36:20 PM »
With the shakeup at CBS, could WRP consider shopping the show elsewhere, or are they tied to CBS?

After TAR31, anything can happen.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »

Wouldn't TAR have a contract with CBS, stating that the show has to run on CBS? ???

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 01:03:28 AM »
If CBS cancels the show after TAR31, then WRP can take the show anywhere they want.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 06:25:05 AM »
It could be wait till before December to announce TAR 31's season premiere date that could be expected in first week of January 2019. TAR remains strong to improvise the ratings.