Author Topic: Les Moonves  (Read 14188 times)

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
Les Moonves
« on: July 27, 2018, 03:09:33 PM »
(Reuters) - U.S. broadcasting and media company CBS Corp (CBS.N) said on Friday it was investigating allegations of personal misconduct by its chief executive Leslie Moonves ahead of an upcoming New Yorker article that is expected to detail the claims.

“Upon the conclusion of that investigation, which involves recently reported allegations that go back several decades, the board will promptly review the findings and take appropriate action,” CBS said in a statement.

It was not clear when exactly the New Yorker would publish its story or what its contents would be. Moonves and the New Yorker did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The allegations come as Moonves is locked in a battle over control of CBS with the company’s largest shareholder, National Amusements Inc, owned by Shari Redstone and her father Sumner Redstone who proposed merging CBS with media company Viacom Inc (VIAB.O), also owned by National Amusements.

Full story:     https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cbs-moonves/cbs-shares-tumble-on-report-of-sexual-misconduct-by-ceo-moonves-idUSKBN1KH264

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Les Moonves
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 03:14:40 PM »
Looks like the Wheel of MeToo has landed on Moonves now.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »
What will happen for TAR, Survivor and BB, if Moonves is sacked?

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
Depends on who takes his place, should he get sacked

This news is the most concerning regarding TAR for me, tbh

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
Imo nothing. CBS Entertainment President Kelly Kahl renews the shows and schedules them. He has more interest in their reality content than the last president. It was his idea to give TAR the Wednesday slot. His idea to renew CBB. Les looks over CBSTV's spending, ratings, and new show development.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:57:44 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »
What will happen for TAR, Survivor and BB, if Moonves is sacked?

Imo nothing. CBS Entertainment President Kelly Kahl renews the shows and schedules them. He has more interest in their reality content than the last president. It was his idea to give TAR the Wednesday slot. His idea to renew CBB. Les looks over CBSTV's spending, ratings, and new show development.
He is a she.

Also, the problem in the era of #MeToo is that some of these claims are decades old, when social mores and attitudes were different. I'm not defending such abuses, but just pointing out that times have changed, and it is awkward and dangerous to apply contemporary attitudes on things that happened then. Also, it is possible such claims can't be validated. So exercise caution on this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:23:31 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 12:24:19 AM »
Les Moonves has been a huge supporter of TAR and has saved us more than once.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I believe this is the article being quoted: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/08/06/les-moonves-and-cbs-face-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct?mbid=social_twitter
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 01:16:01 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 05:02:10 AM »
Don't forget, Moonves also owns Channel Ten over here in Australia.

Could this mean that shows such as Australian Survivor and the rumoured TAR Australia 4 be affected, if is found guilty?

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/07/28/16/13/les-moonves-cbs-boss-accused-of-sexual-harrassment

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 06:09:29 AM »

He is a she.

Kelly is a man.

edited for formatting
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:02:50 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 07:37:16 AM »
Just to clarify.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:01:38 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 07:49:51 AM »
I have moved this topic here so the Discussion of this can continue.

Fair to report on the news and speculate on how this could affect TAR.

But as in ANY legal issue, all parties are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
Unfortunately, this post involves both topics. So bear with me.
The CBS board of directors is meeting today, and is expected to make some sort of statement/announcement regarding the Moonves situation, including his taking a temporary leave of absence as CEO and/or chairman, and devising an investigation plan over the allegations. The board vice chairman is Shari Redstone. So it's not clear what the board may decide.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
Here's the most pertinent part of the Deadline.com update on this situation:

CBS today said its Board of Directors is in the process of selecting outside counsel to conduct an independent investigation into the allegations facing Chairman and CEO Les Moonves.

As well as letting Moonves keep his position despite multiple claims of sexual misconduct, the board Monday also postponed the annual shareholder meeting, which had been set for August 10. The meeting had already been pushed back from May amid the legal war between CBS and shareholder National Amusements.

No other action was taken on the matter at today’s board meeting, the company said.[/quote

https://deadline.com/2018/07/les-moonves-still-cbs-ceo-but-shareholder-meeting-postponed-as-board-seeks-outside-counsel-on-misconduct-allegations-1202436559/
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
Breaking News: Les Moonves to step down in the next few hours as more harassment charges surface.

Announcement expected before AM tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/business/les-moonves-longtime-cbs-chief-may-be-gone-by-monday.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:04:45 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 05:17:17 PM »
Who will take over?

I'm shocked!

Offline jfarbzz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
Could this affect TAR in any way? I sure hope not.

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »
Joe Ianniello, CBS chief operating officer, is expected to be named interim CEO and the board will launch a search, the sources said.

National Amusements has also agreed to not raise the possibility of a merger between CBS and Viacom Inc for about two years, which it had all but abandoned before CBS sued its shareholder in the spring, two sources said.

CBS and National Amusements declined to comment.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/cbs-settles-lawsuit-over-company-control-moonves-resign-185208698--finance.html

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 06:24:25 PM »
Could this affect TAR in any way? I sure hope not.

It’s tough to say. Most likely depends on the success of 31. If it doesn’t do well new CEO might feel pressured to end it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »
Most likely an new outside CEO would defer to the management team in place for a time. The COO who becomes the acting CEO is unlikely to make any major moves not recommended to him by that management team.

-- theschnauzers

Gra1162

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 10:37:48 PM »
Who will take over?

I'm shocked!
Me too :o