Author Topic: Let's have a discussion concerning CASTING!  (Read 13185 times)

Offline Chameleon777

• RFF Not So Newbie
Let's have a discussion concerning CASTING!
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:16:59 PM »
This is a bit of old news, but Lynne Spillman was fired from Survivor recently and I have to admit that the show has gone downhill in more recent seasons. I'm really not sure how they cast anymore, but where do they find the casts they get: under rocks at the bottom of giant lakes? The last season I actually followed obsessively and liked was Heroes vs. Healer vs. Hustlers. I didn't get into Ghost Island too much and I only liked the fact that it ended with a tie vote and the final member of the Jury breaking the tie.

Anyway, I may not even watch the new season because it looks like crap according to the previews, but I AM curious about the four returnees, so we'll see. The rest of the cast seems overly boring and I don't feel like I'll connect with any of the newbies on an emotional level deep enough to root for them if I do watch the season. I'm still debating that, though, as I am genuinely curious about the retunees. I didn't mind those who are returning and I want to see how they do, but nobody else really appeals to me.

Shane Powers made a point a while ago about how  how it's a SOCIAL game and all it does is focus on twists. The twist for the Final Four takes away the social aspect that is involved in getting to the finals and I wish they'd take it away. There are so many things I would change if I was in charge like putting one idol for each tribe and once it's gone, it's gone. Too many advantages and idols have enabled the castaways to be lazy as far as the social aspect goes.

In terms of casting, I'd also like to bring up the Second Chances season even though that is FAR in Survivor's past. Is it just me, or was it suspicious how the results turned out? My ideal cast out of the ones on the poll would have been Kelly Wigglesworth, Kimmi, Jeff Varner, Teresa Cooper Carroll, Max, Shane, Jim, Carolyn, Troyzan, Terry, Woo, Andrew Savage, Stephen, Joe, Keith, Kelly Wentworth, Kass, Tasha, and Jeremy.

I'm still at a loss as to how Spencer, Abi-Maria, Ciera, Monica, Shirin, Peih-Gee, and Vytas got the votes to get on that season when they were either psychotic to the point where we didn't like them or they were a boring part of their respective seasons. Since when is voting out your own mother considered a memorable move in a game where anything appropriate goes? Vytas was even dumb enough to get banned from the finale for leaving sequester early without justification, so there's a wasted spot right there. I have always felt there was something fishy about the poll 'results.' I won't even talk about Culpepper, as his previous behavior made it pretty obvious that he wasn't going to be picked.

I'm still convinced that Probst rigged the Second Chances vote so that castaways like Shane and Teresa wouldn't get to go on even though lots of fans voted for them. During the time the poll was open, I watched a lot of people all over social media sites clearly outline who they voted for and who they did not vote for. People truly underestimate how much influece Jeff Probst has in casting a season and in getting what he wants. I'm sure that Jeff demanded 'more attractive' players for that season, so Shane and Teresa and many other amazing players were conveniently screwed because of 'King Jeff'. How in the heck did barely memorable people make that cast over historically memorable players? I stand by my thoughts that Probst disregarded the votes of the fans and demanded his picks whether or not people might consider it fair. The whole 'casting' process of Second Chances felt rigged.

Now, I really want to get a discussion going on this, but let's be respectful in expressing our thoughts. We're all adults on here and we are capable of having an intelligent, amusing discussion on this topic. Now...let's have some thoughts!

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: Let's have a discussion concerning CASTING!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
US Survivor is now all about twists and not about the gameplay and challenges.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 02:33:06 AM »
I personally voted for Abi-Maria, Ciera, Monica and Peih-Gee out of the list you were shocked by. Abi-Maria was a huge character and a great enemy of the eventual winner of Philippines. Ciera is memorable exactly for voting out her own mom. Like...blood is thicker than water but Ciera was willing to blur those lines by doing the unthinkable. She also turned on her alliance, to force a rock draw. Monica/Stephanie/Mikayla and Natalie were all fighting for that cutesy man-trap spot, and Peih-Gee was an extremely integral part of China being a season-long underdog.

The fact someone like Max was even on the ballot perplexed me. He was arrogant, extremely annoying, and his idol "fake-out" even caused Jeff to sigh.

The only real casting shocks for me were the exclusion of the two oldschool players, Teresa and Shane.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 06:54:24 AM »
Yeah, I didn't find any of the results surprising besides Shane, and to a lesser extent Teresa, not making it.
There have been many moments in recent Survivor history where I could question the integrity of the show, but the SC ballot was definitely not one of them.

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
I also didn't find the results that crazy, except for Shane. I really thought he was going to be casted.

To Chameleon777:
Spencer was the kid who was against the odds every time and even though fighted every episode.
Abi was a huge villain and a great character.
Ciera was a great strategist and she voted out mom, that means she was there to play 100%.
Shirin was a funny character and she was always with the good people from WA.
PG was a great player in China that's for sure.

Vytas and Monica were the only surprirses from those. Maybe Vytas was selected because of the drugs and brothers thing, which I found really really boring.
And Monica was the biggest surprise, because even thought I voted for here because I wanted an hispanic to be on SC, the only thing she did on Samoa was confront Hantz.

I don't get why people wanted Max. He's a super fan yeah, but he did nothing to shine.
Also Woo. Just because of how dumb he was I wouldn't have gave him a second chance. lol

With that being said, I don't think the voted were rigged. Almost every player that I voted for was in, and I think it was a really good cast. One of the bests imo. Of course people like Shane or T-Bird should have been there too, and I don't know what happened there...

Sadly with all of that and Shane saying all of that to Probst and Survivor, I don't think we will get to see him again on the show. :(
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Online Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »
Anyone that considers Abi/Spencer/Ciera as bad casting decisions is cancelled.