Author Topic: TARCAN6 Final Thoughts  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TARCAN6 Final Thoughts
« on: September 12, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARCAN6 Final Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
More international legs
More variety in challenges
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Yay, this time of the year hahaha

This season was sooooo much better than last year, mostly because of casting!
I was scared with the theme this year but it turned out great.

Teams: 9/10

I think all 10 teams had the potential for greatness. Beside Chewy/Happy, we got to see a good amount of airtime for each teams. They all had great personalities and no one felt like 'filler' (maybe beside Zainab & Monica who we didn't see as much as the other teams).

I could see the whole final 6 coming back for an All Star + Todd/Anna for a second chance type of thing.

Route: 7/10

The route was not the best IMO, but it was ok! Sucks we only had 2 international legs, hope it goes up for next season.

Great location: Dawson City, Indonesia, Mexico, Fredericton, Banff
Ok: Squamish, Salt Spring Island, Stratford, Winnipeg, PEI
Meh: Toronto

As for Winnipeg and PEI, both were over due, but I'm a bit disappointed that they stayed in Winnipeg and the same side of PEI. They could have done the task in Charlottetown and then visit another part of the Island, but it was the same general area as season 2. Toronto was meh, I mean the leg was ok, but all of the tasks could have been done in another 'big city' that has not been visited yet, like Windsor or London. I get that production is based in T.O, so it's more convenient for them.

Tasks: 7/10

I thought there was too many dancing options (CanCan, Indonesian dance, Winnipeg ballet, vogue).
Tasks that were memorable by legs:
- Beaver  jumping task
- Dance CanCan / GPS Goldcoin task
- Blueberry Pie / Fairy Doors / Eagle knot
-  Indonesian hand dance / snake and leeches
- Nothing really from the Stratford leg.
- Vogue dance
- Magic Tricks
- Mouse statues / Zombie Paintball
- Telenova task / the sport roadblock (Jai High?)
- Simulator task
- Final memory challenge

Overall I would rate this season 8/10
Season ranking 2-1-4-6 (gap) 5 (huge gap) 3
Winner ranking: 4-5-6-2-1-3
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:43:11 PM by stunami »

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »
There were some good locations and challenges mixed into the race at times - some of the tougher ones towards the end it felt.

But I didn't really feel I could root for a team.  Only a couple stood out from the more middle of the road teams, Dylan & Kwame were just too loud for me and their dance at the mat felt like it was copying someone.  Martina and Phil were a bit too obviously the team you were meant to root for, it felt like she had to carry the weight of the more boring teams on the show.  The men in particular not that interesting, at least some of the women (from a personal perspective) were eye candy for me.  I miss the casting from the Aussie version where nearly every person seemed a distinct character, or the classic period US version.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
This was a really good season! The two things I hated were: Uturn before the detour and too many dance challenges.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:22:51 AM »
Season 6 was a good season!

Great cast!

Mostly good tasks!

Apart from U-Turns before the Detour, only 2 international legs, sports Face-Offs ( :groan:) and far too many dance tasks, TAR Canada is right 'up there' with some of the US season!

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 05:37:12 AM »
This season was infinitely better than season 5. Greater cast, lively personalities who are distinguishable and memorable, and 3 strong FFs who performed well all the way till Leg 9/11, as opposed to s5 who had 2 mildly competitive FFs who were done with by Leg 7.
It had better tasks than s5, but definitely feel like production can live up to their s2-s4 glory if they searched better. Ontario needs a raincheck for s7, I'm done with Ontario after the 2 highly mediocre legs this season. More Territories' representation, pls. Yukon was amazing, so can't wait to see what's in store for NT and Nunavut.
I'm fine with having less international legs also, as long as the tasks inside Canada are creative. Both Indonesia and Mexico were pretty well done, so looking forward to more international legs next year.
The tasks, though some were amazing but many I felt were forced or underwhelming. It's alright, most part of the season was enjoyable and was carried well by the cast.
Even though this season was confined due to having a theme, the teams were very well versed and from different fields, which I don't think TARUS can pull off, so props to TARC on that.
Ranking as of now:
s2, s4, s6, s1, s5, s3   

Gra1162

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 06:36:26 AM »
This season is one of the meh-like season. The cast was MEH for me though there was few standouts, my placements of cast would be

Leanne and Mar: Absoultly goddess  :luvya: my fav this season I cried when they got elim, if they didn't quit zombie task they would be in final :'(
Martina and Phil: YAS SUCH ENERGETIC TEAM LOVED THEM
Taylor and Courtney: strongest team this season real strong loved them
Nancy and MELISSA: They would be in 3rd but since they u turned Martina and phil they are right here :snicker:
Adam and Courtney: OMG loved them underdog win <333333
Joseph and Akash: Umm a bit meh a bit  :luvya:
Todd and Anna: I DON'T get why ppl like them they are soooooooo boring and meh they are like people who are coming out for sypathey like dave but in this case 10x better
Dylan & Kwame: Too loud I just can't stand them
Chewy & Happy: Um we didn't see them much
**big gappp**
Zainab & Monica: UGGGGGHHHHH JUST CAN'T STAND THEM they are so boring as AF and bitter when C/A u turn them and say they were mad but do they know how todd and anna felt i mean its part of the game but they are just boring luckly they got u turned out like it said "U turn Karma will bit you in the ass"

Route: the route was mehhh too little  international legs

Task: Loved the task

U turn: U turn before Detour OMG :nono2:

hope more international legs in s7

placements on seasons
4-2-6-1-5-------------------------------------------------------------3

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
The cast this year was definitely an improvement over Season 5 (they felt like the blandest next to Season 3). Great underdog win!

Weaknesses:
-Why adopt the US's new thing of putting the U-Turn before Detour? :(
-The international legs down to 2
-Biggest missed opportunity for a task was not having Dawson City's icon, the sourtoe cocktail.

Hearing rumours that this was originally thought of for All-Stars, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to that now for a Season 7, if we get one. CTV would be crazy not to after the ratings have been up over last year!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
Its not rumours, Mark confirmed it was under consideration but they weren't sure if they had a enough compelling teams, which is why they went the heroes theme. Also it would make sense to consider all stars since it was the last season of the initial contract. Now the question is do they have enough and will the show be renewed?

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
Its not rumours, Mark confirmed it was under consideration but they weren't sure if they had a enough compelling teams, which is why they went the heroes theme. Also it would make sense to consider all stars since it was the last season of the initial contract. Now the question is do they have enough and will the show be renewed?

some food for thought : as opposed to season earlier seasons, this season only had 2 international legs, and it had surprisingly good ratings. Would you all want another season of TARC, with the addition of there being lesser or no international legs?

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »
Nope, I think what they had for S3 was good - 4 international legs spread over 3 countries. Maybe 5 over 4 plus the rest in Canada.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
This season is ranked fourth on my TARC list. Though, I still believe that it was a good season, and I did enjoy watching it.

Locations

It is annoying that this season reduced the number of international legs. I do understand why this is the case (budget & ratings). At the same time, I am not up in arms about it. I know that there are fans who want either half or the entire race to be international, but I get that it is not feasible. I don't mind the Canadian legs since most of these locations are new to me. I liked the locations we got this season, and I like that the show was still able to visit new locations. My main gripes about the Canadian legs is that Manitoba is only Winnipeg apparently, and the PEI leg was pretty much identical to the locations in season two's. With regards to the international locations, I loved that Jakarta was visited though not as much for Mexico City (if the show does an international leg in North America, I would prefer a lesser visited location).

Tasks

Finding locations in Canada is not the show's biggest problem (in creating my own routes, I've found more than enough locations). The main problem of the show is creating tasks unique enough for each location, and it was evident this season. We got several tasks that were generic to any location. There were definitely many tasks I liked this season, but nearly all of the legs had at least one dud task. Also, the legs I didn't like really suffered from poor leg design. Still, while not as great as previous seasons, the show was still able to produce good tasks.

Cast

Any reality show lives or dies by its cast. With this season, there was no one I actively hated unlike last year. At the same time, there were about four teams I considered stand outs. The heroes theme wasn't overly forced upon the cast, but editing around the theme probably limited them. There wasn't that much conflict either between teams or between team members. What does help this season is that the teams I liked did make it far into the race, unlike season 3, and that we got an unpredictable winner, unlike season 5.

Team Ranking

Show content
1. Martina & Phil
2. Courtney & Adam

3. Leanne & Mar
4. Nancy & Mellisa
5. Dylan & Kwame
6. Chewy & Happy

7. Taylor & Courtney
8. Joseph & Akash
9. Todd & Anna
10. Zainab & Monica

Leg Ranking

Show content
1. Jakarta
2. Prince Edward Island

3. Banff
4. Dawson City
5. Mexico City

6. Winnipeg
7. Squamish

8. Gulf Islands
9. Fredericton

10. Toronto

Gra1162

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »
Omg i just realized the winner is still one of the first five teams shown in the intro

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 06:54:06 PM »
Leg rankings

1) PEI
2) Mexico City
3) Dawson City
4) Squamish
5) Indonesia
6) Winnipeg
7) Toronto (would have been 4 had it not been for a tbc)
8 ) Gulf Islands
9) Alberta
10) New Brunswick

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 01:43:24 PM »
No news on season 7... maybe it will be the allstar season they talked about...
If they did an All-Star, would they still open a casting call, to create the illusion?

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
It's taken a month or two to announce the next season the last couple years.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 06:59:52 AM »
im nearly done with this season finally and it's a massive boring dirge and has, outside of like martina and phil and i guessss courtney and adam, maybe two redeeming qualities, being mexico and indonesia respectively

why cant we have a good tarcan season again it isnt hard just stop forcing ottp storylines onto everyone and l e a v e t h e c o u n t r y

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
Still a better season than Australia versus New Zealand.