Author Topic: TAR Canada 6 Contestants: Nancy and Mellisa  (Read 4692 times)

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
TAR Canada 6 Contestants: Nancy and Mellisa
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:57:57 AM »
Nancy and Mellisa
Teammates and Elite Athletes
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:52:01 AM by WindsorSue »

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
Re: TAR Canada 6 Contestants: Nancy and Mellisa
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »
Name: Nancy Csabay
Job: Professional Barrel Racer/Horse Trainer
Pet peeve about your teammate: None!
Instagram: @nancycsabay

Name: Mellisa Hollingsworth
Job: Olympian/Public Speaker/Realtor
Pet peeve about your teammate: I’ll have to get back to you on that. I think she’s perfect!
Twitter: @Racer_Mel | Instagram: @Racer_Mel

Nancy and Mellisa met at the Calgary Stampede when Nancy was competing in barrel racing and Mellisa was a commentator. Their shared background in competitive sport gave them a foundation for their friendship, but their relationship is unique as they don’t know each other very well on a personal level. However, both are fearless competitors who love to chase the rush of victory and they see THE AMAZING RACE CANADA as an opportunity to inspire the nation to find their own greatness! Nominated more than 30 times for the Heroes Edition, Nancy is a two-time national barrel racing champion who battled cancer four years ago and inspired everyone around her. It was near that age that her mother was also diagnosed with a fatal bout of cancer. But Nancy has not let that stop her – she doesn’t want to give cancer any more energy than it deserves. She now lives with a greater sense of clarity, joy, and love. Mellisa is a three-time Olympian who won the bronze medal in the women's skeleton event at the Turin 2006 Olympic Winter Games. However, her repeat performance at Vancouver 2010, in front of a hometown crowd, was not so successful. After hitting a wall, she placed fifth overall. When she faced the media in tears, she apologized to the country who shared her journey. She felt heartbroken but in the end, she found great purpose and inner strength through this very public defeat. Mellisa remains one of the top skeleton racers in the world, and is still connected with the Canadian Olympic Committee to help train the next generation of Olympians.

Nicknames
Nancy: Nannygoat
Mellisa: Mell

Who is your hero?
Nancy: My mom.
Mellisa: My dad and Marnie McBean.

Dream Destination
Nancy: Africa
Mellisa: Texas

Team Motto
“Long Live Cowgirls!”

What past team do you most associate with?
Kristen and Steph (Season 4) – They played a really smart game.

(all info courtesy CTV/Bell Media)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:03:44 PM by WindsorSue »

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
That HAS to be Yukon... there was no snow anywhere else!

Offline Linda BC2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:34:44 PM »
Perhaps Squamish, in the mountains?

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 01:57:01 PM »
Skeleton, same sport as Jon. Mellisa must have knew him long before the race, then, they both competed in Vancouver 2010.

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »
Perhaps Squamish, in the mountains?

Agreed, this is Squamish!

Offline Linda BC2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
It is probably at the top of the Sea to Sky Gondola :)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
Nancy is from Taber, AB. I have a hometown team!

Lived there for 7 years. Might have recognized her but it's been a few years since I moved.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
Sporting heroes!  :conf: :cheer:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 11:01:49 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-V4K5cNSDUk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-V4K5cNSDUk</a>

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 12:23:15 AM »
Nancy is 49 and is still competing in her sport.  :bow: Not many women can still do that, I know people of that age who cannot even climb a mountain.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »
Local Olympian participates in Amazing Race Canada

An Olympian from the central Alberta area will soon be featured on the big screen in a much different way.

Skeleton bronze medalist Mellisa Hollingsworth, who grew up on an Eckville ranch, is featured in the latest season of Amazing Race Canada. The 2018 season’s theme is heroes, featuring participants such as first responders, elite athletes, coaches and other inspirational Canadians.

All participants needed to be nominated for the show, and Hollingsworth got involved when her future partner, Nancy Csabay, reached out.

“She had posted on social media ‘I would love to do this, this is on my bucket list, who wants to do this with me?’ There were probably 100 people that responded to her, me being one,” says Hollingsworth.

Hollingsworth has been on the broadcasting team for the Calgary Stampede for the past eight years, interviewing winners of various competitions.

She met her partner only a few years ago through her work at the event.

“The unique thing about my partner and I is that we didn’t have a pre-existing relationship,” says Hollingsworth. “She had won a round at Calgary Stampede back in 2015 and I got to interview her, so that was it. That was our only interaction really.”

The pair each had a connection to barrel racing, and quickly formed a strong relationship.

Hollingsworth adds that her roots have always been very important to her success.

“I’m so excited to be able to represent the community, especially coming from a ranch and small communities, that’s been a part of my story,” she says.

The three-time Olympian who retired after the Sochi 2014 Games hopes to spread the message of strength among people who feel held back because of where they come from.

“If there’s something you’ve always desired to be a part of or to go and experience, well then you put that out there, and you work towards those types of goals and it’s amazing what can actually come true.”

The premiere of Amazing Race Canada: Hero’s Edition airs on July 3, 2018.

Sourcen Olympian from the central Alberta area will soon be featured on the big screen in a much different way.

Skeleton bronze medalist Mellisa Hollingsworth, who grew up on an Eckville ranch, is featured in the latest season of Amazing Race Canada. The 2018 season’s theme is heroes, featuring participants such as first responders, elite athletes, coaches and other inspirational Canadians.

All participants needed to be nominated for the show, and Hollingsworth got involved when her future partner, Nancy Csabay, reached out.

“She had posted on social media ‘I would love to do this, this is on my bucket list, who wants to do this with me?’ There were probably 100 people that responded to her, me being one,” says Hollingsworth.

Hollingsworth has been on the broadcasting team for the Calgary Stampede for the past eight years, interviewing winners of various competitions.

She met her partner only a few years ago through her work at the event.

“The unique thing about my partner and I is that we didn’t have a pre-existing relationship,” says Hollingsworth. “She had won a round at Calgary Stampede back in 2015 and I got to interview her, so that was it. That was our only interaction really.”

The pair each had a connection to barrel racing, and quickly formed a strong relationship.

Hollingsworth adds that her roots have always been very important to her success.

“I’m so excited to be able to represent the community, especially coming from a ranch and small communities, that’s been a part of my story,” she says.

The three-time Olympian who retired after the Sochi 2014 Games hopes to spread the message of strength among people who feel held back because of where they come from.

“If there’s something you’ve always desired to be a part of or to go and experience, well then you put that out there, and you work towards those types of goals and it’s amazing what can actually come true.”

The premiere of Amazing Race Canada: Hero’s Edition airs on July 3, 2018.

Source:https://rdnewsnow.com/article/589164/local-olympian-featured-amazing-race-canada-heros-edition

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0FrM3dmQJr4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0FrM3dmQJr4</a>

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j64J5i2jizU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j64J5i2jizU</a>

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
Not sure this will be available outside Canada. A video story on Nancy from CTV Lethbridge that showed up on my Twitter feed. In short: she's a tough gal for sure!

https://twitter.com/CTVLethbridge/status/1012062499481497602

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »
via Leafsfan:

Excellent Interview with Nancy re how she was casted and much more:

Tell us about being on Amazing Race Canada. How were you chosen and how have you found the experience?

Yeah. I was chosen … I want to say a couple of ways, in some ways. Well, this year was the first year that they actually had nominations. I have some awesome barrel racing friends that have come to my retreats, and they all decided to rally together and send in some nominations for me, which was really, really cool.

The other way was a friend of mine had posted that the casting call was open for The Amazing Race Canada on Facebook. I decided to share it because I’ve always wanted to go on The Amazing Race. I shared it, and I said “Who wants to do this with me?” I had quite a few people say, “Pick me.” Mel was one of them. She ended up sending me a picture on Facebook Messenger with her and John and one of the clue envelopes and said “I think we’d make a good team and maybe we should do this together.” That’s kind of how it worked.

I actually sent in audition tapes with my brother, as well, and two other barrel racer friends of mine, and then Mel as well. I kind of just left it up to The Amazing Race to decide who would be best for their show.

Read more here:

https://horse-canada.com/star-crossed-horses/barrel-racer-takes-on-the-amazing-race-canada/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.