Author Topic: TAR PRODUCERS TALK TAR AND TAR 31! OPEN START?  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TAR PRODUCERS TALK TAR AND TAR 31! OPEN START?
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:35:36 AM »
It's that time again. Bertram and Elise sit down for a 35 minute podcast interview with Debra Birnbaum of Variety. It's a good listen. The highlights are pretty well covered below but there are too many additional details to add here. They tell some good stories from earlier seasons (teams hoarding airline food because they were scared to eat the local food in the country visited, a team finding a flight in Gabon on an airline with 1 plane nobody on the show was aware of & arriving many hours earlier than expected) and talk about their favorite countries and how places like Dubai have changed during the course of the show. Also which countries are harder to film in (India - huge slow moving bureacracy) and which ones are easier. They also mention having new twists for TAR 31 but they always say that.

Note from TAR stories above: Bertram clearly said a team found a flight from Gabon to Paris on an airline the show was unaware of, but as far as I can tell from Wikipedia, TAR hasn't visited Gabon.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/remote-controlled-amazing-race-producers-1202830097/

Remote Controlled: ‘Amazing Race’ Bosses on Why ‘Anybody’ Can Win

Welcome to “Remote Controlled,” a podcast from Variety featuring the best and brightest in television, both in front of and behind the camera.

In this week’s episode, Variety‘s executive editor of TV, Debra Birnbaum, talks with the creators and executive producers of “Amazing Race,” Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri. The Emmy-winning reality series just wrapped its 30th season on CBS, and is well into production on its 31st.

“Season 30, we really hit it out of the ballpark,” says van Munster. “We came up with good concepts, good ideas that worked around the globe.”

The producers say they don’t worry about keeping the format fresh for audiences: “We’re very fortunate that the landscape of the world is so vast that we have many opportunities for places we can go and drop contestants into, that it seems endless the possibilities for every episode and every season,” says Doganieri.

They also credit the timeslot — Wednesday nights at 8 p.m. — so that families could sit down in real time and watch the show. “It was key to the success of the show,” says van Munster. They’re hoping to get that slot again for Season 31.

They’ve also been aggressive about mixing up the format; last season, for example featured head-to-heads for the first time — where the team to lose was eliminated, as well as a partner swap. “It was pretty harsh, but it was a great challenge,” admits Doganieri. That said, the producers admit that fans don’t always love the new twists and turns. “We have to keep it really fresh and unexpected, otherwise you can’t stay on the air for 31 seasons,” says van Munster.

They say they prefer casting contestants who have never been on the show before. “But there is something to be said about bringing celebrities on,” says Doganieri, adding that it’s always a negotiation with CBS.

They wouldn’t confirm who’s been tapped for Season 31, but they acknowledge that they’ve read all the rumors. “It’s going to be a good surprise,” promises van Munster.

Over the course of 30 seasons, they’ve learned what it takes to win the race — and laugh about those contestants who arrive all muscled-up. “You don’t need those muscles,” says van Munster. “You need to be in decent shape, and you need to be logical in what you. This race can be won by anybody.”

He adds, “For me, the show is a success when I don’t know who’s going to win the race,” says van Munster.

So what does it take to win? “People who get along really well but are super-competitive,” says Doganieri. “And they read their clue.”

Adds Doganieri, “You get on plane, you land in Zimbabwe, the playing field gets evened out pretty quickly.”

Would the duo — who are married — ever consider doing the race themselves? “Not together,” says van Munster. Agrees Doganieri, “Yes, but with a different teammate."

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:29:17 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR PRODUCERS TALK TAR AND TAR 31! OPEN START?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »
Jump to ~14:00 for TAR 31 chat on casting, and possible Open Start.

Thanks Plaid!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
That sounds like confirmation from Elise that all these gimmick seasons are forced by CBS and that they'd rather have a new traditional cast each time.

Wonder what team/season they're referencing on that flight that was way ahead? I wonder if they misspoke with Gabon and it was the Cairo leg in s5 where Colin and Christie found the earlier connection in Paris and arrived 12 hours early.

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
I could be wrong but it sounded to me like he said "through Gabon" to Paris.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
Wonder what team/season they're referencing on that flight that was way ahead? I wonder if they misspoke with Gabon and it was the Cairo leg in s5 where Colin and Christie found the earlier connection in Paris and arrived 12 hours early.

No, they did say Gabon-> Paris so it would have to be either S1 or S27.

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 01:06:59 PM »
I can't wait to be surprised. LOL

Wish they stuck to the original premise of casting that they mentioned.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »
That sounds like confirmation from Elise that all these gimmick seasons are forced by CBS and that they'd rather have a new traditional cast each time.
I don't think that's news though. They've mentioned that in many interviews before as well.

Anyway, good to know they're seeing all the response online  :lol: Though obviously, CBS won't care as much as Bertram and Elise obviously.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:37:11 PM by dryedmangoez »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 05:24:33 PM »
It's sad that Bertram and Elise WANT to give TAR viewers what they want, but CBS will do as they please :(