Author Topic: Gimmick Seasons  (Read 7346 times)

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
Gimmick Seasons
« on: March 15, 2018, 12:51:32 AM »
So I think the general consensus around RFF is that we prefer regular seasons to these "gimmick seasons". Of all the seasons since All Stars 2, we have only had one two "regular" seasons. From this, it doesn't look like CBS wants to have a regular season any time soon.

That being said, what gimmick seasons would you be interested in seeing? Which gimmicks would you like to bring back? Which gimmicks would you like to bring back with a new twist?

For me, two of them are seasons that aren't exactly "gimmick seasons" I guess but they can't be classified as "regular seasons". For one thing, I'd love to see a season where they bring back teams that were eliminated first and give them a second chance, although I do believe being eliminated first in this season would be absolutely embarrassing :funny:.

The other is what I hope they do with their final season. I hope they bring back the most memorable winners, such as Nat and Kat, Flo and Zach, BJ and Tyler, Amy and Maya, Connor and Dave, etc (whether you like these teams or not) to make it a super hardcore final season.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:23:17 AM by nrh2110 »

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Re: Gimmick Seasons
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06:05 AM »
Correction: both 25 and 27 were 'normal' seasons.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:22:56 AM »

Gah how could I forget about 27! I think my disliking of that season made me forget  :funny:

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:29:51 AM »
Isn't 30 a normal season too? I mean sure they described them as a competitive cast but there was no specific gimmick...

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:15:06 AM »
I too want to see a season comprised of first-eliminated teams, or even one that also includes second-eliminated teams.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:37:28 AM »
Isn't 30 a normal season too? I mean sure they described them as a competitive cast but there was no specific gimmick...
It is perhaps a stretch to call it a gimmick season, but it is quite close to the cast type of S28, where most people are recruits (even if fans of the show), and not your average everyday people.
I loved S30 and I seriously don't remember enjoying myself so much during a season in a long time, but with all the competitive talk and the kind of racers we had, it doesn't feel like a 'normal' season.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:20:19 AM »
I too want to see a season comprised of first-eliminated teams, or even one that also includes second-eliminated teams.

I’d find it great if they brought back Bilal and Sa’eed or Eric and Lisa and they ended up winning the whole thing  :funny:

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
It is perhaps a stretch to call it a gimmick season, but it is quite close to the cast type of S28, where most people are recruits (even if fans of the show), and not your average everyday people.
I loved S30 and I seriously don't remember enjoying myself so much during a season in a long time, but with all the competitive talk and the kind of racers we had, it doesn't feel like a 'normal' season.

But at the end of the day it was a normal season right? I don't think (cmiiw) they would have recruited firefighters or lifeguards. Dessie and Kayla were models but they weren't really renowned or prominent in society for anything, plus the race has a habit of having models on it.

There was nothing in common among these people as well. s29 was solo people grouping up with others, s28 were social media celebs and s26 were solely blind daters and dating couples; this season was just hyped up to be a competitive one because highly accomplished people from completely different walks of life participated in it.
If you read Casuals' comments on facebook all they do is drone about 'how it was in the good ol' days' and just talk about TAR without any themes. I think they got rid of the themed/gimmick season concept just to appeal to these and retain these fans, as gimmick seasons weren't bringing in any new fans and old fans were threatening to stop watching it.
Recruiting Jessica and Cody was just a Pis Aller on production's part, as Jody would attract fans from Big Brother, a TV show on the same channel. It easily brought in new fans only at the expanse of Jody haters threatening to quit the show for the season. It worked well and here we are, speculating season 31. 

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »
NO MORE GIMMICKS!

Expect for a TAR: Celebrity Editioin!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 03:20:26 PM »
Please no celebrities, especially not that. Not now, not ever.
They definitely don't need the money, and they definitely don't need more opportunities to travel the world.

Plus, no one's looking so see D-list celebrities.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:47 PM »
The only “gimmick” should be the most competitive teams they can get, with the most interesting route the budget allows, and tasks that make sense for each location.

It’s probably the biggest reason the ratings improved so much.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »

I’d find it great if they brought back Bilal and Sa’eed or Eric and Lisa and they ended up winning the whole thing  :funny:
Those two, had they gotten past their sudden eliminations, could probably be damn strong teams in the running. Eric & Lisa looked ferocious and seemed prepared to take down their competition at any cost. And Bilal & Sa'eed were in the lead starting off in Seattle. Had they gotten a better taxi driver in Beijing, it would have been bye-bye Cho Bros. I honestly loved the energy they had and was sad they were out at the midpoint.
I would also like to see a "second chance" season with very early eliminated teams.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 05:38:47 AM »

I hope they bring back teams that were eliminated for a second chance and team TMZ gets eliminated on the first leg again. Ugh, imagine taking 4+ hours to solve a 4by4 slider puzzle.

Gra1162

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 08:33:49 AM »
I want Andi and Jenna back for the early boot season they just got a horrbiw driver in leg 2 they could have been 6th to the pit stop

Offline jfarbzz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 11:41:37 PM »
I'd love a first boot season. I've always had some rules if there ever was one:
a) Teams must have been eliminated on the first leg (Sorry Ethan & Jenna/Ron & Bill/Marty & Hagan)
b) Teams must have actually completed a full leg and have been eliminated on a mat (Sorry Dana & Adrian/Kelly & Shevonne)
c) Bilal & Sa'eed and Eric & Lisa are automatically in because of how stupid their eliminations were.

I wonder what cast we could get out of this. Some teams I think would be good

Matt & Ana: the first first boots

Avi & Joe: As a fellow Jew from the NY area, I liked them and think they should be back

Ryan & Chuck: Were pretty intelligent for two southern guys, knew Portuguese, and lost a close footrace

Bilal & Sa'eed

Arthur & Anita: They'd probably be the oldest contestant ever, but why not?

Eric & Lisa

Ron & Tony: idk I liked them

Misa & Maiya: All these team by definition have unfinished business, but there's no bigger unfinished business than somehow missing the pitstop right in front of you

Jeff & Lyda: The last real old couple and the only victims of a first-leg U-Turn

Kevin & Jenn: Lost because of a penalty that wasn't their fault

Dessie & Kayla: Lost the closest finish in TAR history

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 12:24:10 AM »

c) Bilal & Sa'eed and Eric & Lisa are automatically in because of how stupid their eliminations were.

Lisa & Nicole from TARA 5  :'( If they do a returning season for TARA (doubtful) they HAVE gotta be on it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 01:15:16 AM »
Eric and Lisa would NEVER agree to race again, IMO.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 03:25:24 PM »
I'm fine with normal seasons being in the odd numbers and gimmick seasons being in the even numbers.  Anyways, I'm probably the only one here who wouldn't mind another social media season.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 05:39:26 PM »
I'd love to see ALL WINNERS or ALL 1ST ELIMINATED TEAMS for a change.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
Family Edition with 18 and older, but shockingly split up the families of 4 into 2 at Starting Line

US vs Canada
US vs The World (All-Stars)

That's all.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »
I agree with dryedmangoez.

I think we DO need to a USA v Canada season and a USA v The World Season.

I actually didn't mind Family Edition, but if they do it next time (wouldn't surprise me after today's developments), then I think need to have everyone over 13 AND travel INTERNATIONAL, just like any other TAR!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 11:05:17 PM »
If the TAR8 cast had been able to go international or at least limit the US Legs to only a few, TAR8 would be considered one of the top seasons. Still one of the best casts.
Even as it was, it probably would be received a little better today than the recent gimmick seasons or any upcoming season most likely.