Author Topic: LGBT community in TAR!  (Read 108311 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: LGBT community in TAR!
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »
Added a few more after doing a quick search on the "other" Wiki, which keeps track of old Team bios from the official website. (I can't believe I forgot Dennis from TAR3, and I've spoken with him before! Sorry!!)

The "other" Wiki also lists a few teams in their "Gay" category, but could someone double-check these teams?

Ari/Staella
Justin/Jennifer
Jaymes/James
Stephane/Antoine (TAR Canada)
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 12:17:53 AM »
Antoine is, he talked in media articles about how accepting Stephane was when he came out.

Jaymes & James, one of them is, I can never remember which.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:47 AM »
Antoine is, he talked in media articles about how accepting Stephane was when he came out.

Jaymes & James, one of them is, I can never remember which.

I believe Jaymes is gay, but not 100% sure!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 02:03:25 AM »
Hmmmmm.... something does not feel right in debating/determining whether a certain person is gay or not.
Or maybe it is just me :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 02:07:10 AM »
Hmmmmm.... something does not feel right in debating/determining whether a certain person is gay or not.
Or maybe it is just me :lol:

That's why my list says "confirmed". What we're debating is whether or not we're remembering correctly if they've discussed it in the episode, or in an interview. It's only people who they themselves have said "I am gay."

For the record, I confirmed all of the cases I listed three posts above. Justin, Ari and Jaymes are gay, though only Justin was revealed on television.

Unless anyone has something to add, I think that's everybody...?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:14:24 AM by G.B. »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 06:44:58 AM »
Jaymes has an Instagram, and he's dating a guy who had a major part in 2004 film Mean Girls.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
 I totally support this thread as Violet outlined it. BUT I agree with Cocoa...

Making a "list" to debate sexual status is ...tacky.

If you want to comment on gay rights, gay leadership, how people have or are making a difference then I am all for it..

If this thread is about making "lists" or adding labels....then no.

Moving forward please.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 04:05:06 PM »
I really think you are looking at that post in entirely the wrong way. What I have created is no different than the TAR Wiki having an "LGBT Teams" category, or Wikipedia's "Gay Actors" category. This is not a list of every single team and what we believe their sexuality to be. Literally all this is, it's a record of any team or contestant who has identified themselves as gay during their time on the race. Nothing on the list is speculation. These individuals have openly come out as gay either on The Amazing Race, in a post-race interview, on their pre-race team bio, or on social media.

I see the entire world as numbers. Everything is numbers and lists to me. At the same time, I am bisexual and would never arbitrarily assign a label to anybody.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 07:01:16 PM »
Literally all this is, it's a record of any team or contestant who has identified themselves as gay during their time on the race

I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is "is s/he or isn't s/he?"

If it isn't known from the race or clear from social media...this is NOT the place for speculation.

Most of our LGBT friends are proud of their choices. If there is doubt one way or another, then leave it be.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2018, 09:14:03 PM »
All right. Wasn't debating anything. I brought up instances that other websites claimed and wanted to verify if it was true or not, so that I would NOT make any false claims.

That's all done now anyway.

I must say I was happy to see that two of the racers (Mike W. and Brandy S.) are openly bisexual, as I had been commenting to others before that the race had never really featured bi representation. Too bad the show never really covered that (but then again, how would it come up? lol)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
I see the entire world as numbers. Everything is numbers and lists to me.
Love this expression. I share the same worldview, if you can call it that.

On a more thematic note, I've been waiting for seasons for another all-female dating couple. Why have we only had 2 in 30 seasons?? I know everybody keeps saying this, but let me just repeat that S26 was such a huge missed opportunity.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »
Six F/F dating couples in 74 seasons in total. I really do have to ask why...?

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 01:09:40 AM »
As I have explained in a message to Peach I'm sure none of us have negative intentions on this thread. As even G.B. has has clarified his stance I see no need to delve into the matter anymore, and we will be moving on from the matter.

However, if anyone does have any issues whatsoever at all, feel free to send me a personal message! I might reply late, but I will see to it that your issue is looked into or resolved (i.e. only if it is a serious matter, Please don't flood me with spam), As an active member of the LGBT community in my country I take sexual profiling and other issues of the sort VERY SERIOUSLY.
So please, if you see something which you don't feel is right, message me, and even if I'm unavailable please forward your problem to peach.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 01:21:36 AM »
I see the entire world as numbers. Everything is numbers and lists to me.
Love this expression. I share the same worldview, if you can call it that.

On a more thematic note, I've been waiting for seasons for another all-female dating couple. Why have we only had 2 in 30 seasons?? I know everybody keeps saying this, but let me just repeat that S26 was such a huge missed opportunity.

I see eye to eye, Marionete! S26 was definitely a missed opportunity. In totality there have been only 6 lesbian teams in TAR history (aforementioned by G.B.) and they are:
--> The Amazing Race 12 = Kate and Pat
--> The Amazing Race 16 = Carol and Brandy
--> The Amazing Race Norge 1 = Julie and Vichy
--> The Amazing Race Canada 2 = Jackie and Laura
--> The Amazing Race Canada 4 = Steph and Kristen
--> The Amazing Race Asia 5 = Lisa and Nicole 

I think when Canada in 5 seasons is at par with US in 30 seasons, we definitely should see more dating FF teams on the race.
Show content
Kudos to Steph and Kristen for being the 1st LGBT & FF team to win a season of The Amazing Race Canada and for being the 1st Lesbian team to ever win a race!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 01:58:32 AM »
Yeah, I didn't realize this until just now when making the list, but in three seasons The Amazing Race Australia has never featured any openly LGBT contestants. I find that to be rather surprising, tbqh.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2018, 04:32:00 AM »
Yeah, I didn't realize this until just now when making the list, but in three seasons The Amazing Race Australia has never featured any openly LGBT contestants. I find that to be rather surprising, tbqh.

We didn't really have too many same-sex couples, until the law was passed in October last year...

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »

We didn't really have too many same-sex couples, until the law was passed in October last year...

Point. But we have a few teams on TARLA and only 1/2 of the countries in Latin America allows LGBT Marriages and openly promote sexual identification. Sexualities are still considered a taboo in many parts of the world.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »
Yeah, but we still had "Married Couple" Reichen & Chip before Same-Sex Marriage was legal anywhere in the USA.

(I'm mostly going off info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory just in case any of that is incorrect)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 01:38:27 AM »
Just a fun #TARFamily Night!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 02:21:00 AM »
Who's that man with Lisa and Nicole?

Offline ZA-TAR-fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »
Who's that man with Lisa and Nicole?

TAR 29's Joey ?

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »
Amazing pics Peach! Where did you find these though?
Really wish we could have seen more of these 2. I mean, they weren't even present for a full leg...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 08:19:08 AM »
That's Joey Corvino of course Bourkie!!

Find them? Ha, I took it!  We all had dinner and a great evening of storytelling last night. #TARFamily
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:41:47 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »
That's Joey Corvino of course Bourkie!!

Find them? Ha, I took it!  We all had dinner and a great evening of storytelling last night. $TARFamily

OMG, I've forgotten TAR29's contestants, already! :funny:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
Here's a quick rundown of how LGBT contestants on the show have finished so far:

1st - 8
2nd - 5
3rd - 6
4th - 3
5th - 5
6th - 4
7th - 6
8th - 7
9th - 7
10th - 5
11th - 3