Author Topic: LGBT community in TAR!  (Read 108454 times)

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
LGBT community in TAR!
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:32:01 PM »
In 30 seasons of The Amazing Race, there have been a numerous amount of 'Queer' people who have ran on the show; whilst some have failed in their race, many of them have also won the race and have made us within the community proud. The Amazing Race is a very open-minded hive mind of acceptance, in the 17 years of this show's run I have never seen people complaining about LGBT racers, which makes me very proud to be a fan. Not only that, even the International versions of the show have a lot of LGBT racers, which shows that there are absolutely no barriers we face!

I've started this thread as an appreciation and acknowledgement thread for those racers of The Amazing Race who belong to the LGBT Community.

There are some rules !
1] As a thread for 'appreciation and acknowledgment' this thread only tolerates kind comments and respect for these racers; people who mock and/or insult the racers vis-a-vis their sexual identity will have to face consequences. So please think before you flame someone just based on their sexuality.
2] However, if you want to complain or criticize their behavior on the race, that will be accepted. Suppose a team containing a LGBT member was rude to another team without any provocation, you can acknowledge that they were unnecessarily attacking other racers. Dissent on race behavior will be accepted to a certain extent.
3]Please keep in mind that RFF is PG-13, so if you do have to complain about these racers, please refrain from using swear words and expletives!
4] Similarly keep in mind RFF's golden rule - don't trash other users on this thread!
5] Anybody is free to post in this thread - a misconception some people face is that you have to be LGBT to post in a thread for LGBT.

I will also try to post regular updates on the lives of these racers as to show how LGBT people progress about in daily life and that they are no different than those of us who are hetero/cis.

NOTE: I do realize that LGBT isn't the full acronym, but for the sake of simplicity while writing, we will use LGBT and it will be assumed that it encompasses all other sexualities that aren't heterosexual and/or cissexual. As of now there is still a debate as to what the official abbreviation is, but I've seen people us LGBTQQIAAP most frequently.

Let the rainbows reign! Feel free to tell everybody about your favorite LGBT moment on the race.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Re: LGBT community in TAR!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:57:29 PM »
I feel a sense of pride that TARPH was the first TAR to have a transgender Racer in Jervi who is absolutely All-Star worthy on any TAR. She was awesome.
She worked in Philippine entertainment before TAR as a writer, but became a producer/editor on TARPH2. She recently gained a lot of attention recently for some viral videos impersonating a well-known news anchor which led to a lot of TV guestings and some acting roles too.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
LGBT people (same-sex couples) are actually really cute to watch!

We need more of them!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »
I feel a sense of pride that TARPH was the first TAR to have a transgender Racer in Jervi who is absolutely All-Star worthy on any TAR. She was awesome.
She worked in Philippine entertainment before TAR as a writer, but became a producer/editor on TARPH2. She recently gained a lot of attention recently for some viral videos impersonating a well-known news anchor which led to a lot of TV guestings and some acting roles too.

OH MY GOD

I just realized that now!!! That Jervi from TARPh is KaladKaren Davila's Jervi!!! Wow! :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »

That's Amazing!
I've actually not seen The Amazing Race Philippines, I'm being honest here, but I had heard of a transgender racer on the show. I had thought about checking it out but then other things came up and I forgot about her.

So I did a little background check on her, and she and her partner made an impact on the race!
There are no videos specifically for her and Saida, but there is really not much content online.

The “besties” met while working on the same daily noontime show for years—Saida was a mainstay dancer, while Jervi worked as the program’s floor director. They consider themselves the ultimate mix of beauty and brains on the race. More than that, they claim that their dynamic combination is unique. Jervi and Saida also insist that they are smarter than how they appear while racing. Both are used to being underestimated. On the race, they want to prove how much more of themselves they can become.

This was their only interview as such. If anybody has seen TARPH 1 Please fill me on these 2, I would love to get to know more about them!

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »

OH MY GOD

I just realized that now!!! That Jervi from TARPh is KaladKaren Davila's Jervi!!! Wow! :hearts:

Yup! That's her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozT2tsf-v4

This is an interview she gave LAST YEAR! I presume she's a prominent figure in the Philippines :D?

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
These have been taken off of Saida and Jervi's Wikia (http://amazingrace.wikia.com/wiki/Saida_%26_Jervi) (BE WARNED THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR TARPH 1 IN THAT LINK)

Saida

Purpose in joining: I like trying extreme adventures! The race is also an opportunity for me to travel and meet a lot of people.

Jervi

Purpose in joining: I love to travel! But more importantly, I want to prove to my dad that I am tough, smart, and pretty.

While Saida and Jervi were the 1st Transgender to come on an installment of the race (2012), season 3 of The Amazing Race Canada (2015) also has a transgendered dating couple - Hamilton and Michaelia. Hamilton is a female transitioned male and he and Michaelia are Engaged!
So proud to see people from all walks of the community participate.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
Don't forget TAR Vietnam's Hương Giang. She raced on two seasons of the show (2014/2016), and was also transgender.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 12:43:27 PM »
Don't forget TAR Vietnam's Hương Giang. She raced on two seasons of the show (2014/2016), and was also transgender.

Wow I really need to brush up on the International versions of TAR xD. Thanks for that input!

Show content
I looked into their team and they're also winner of their season (3 I believe!) ! This puts them up on the wall of LGBT winners, we have so many of them! I'm so proud of them! I'll prepare a list of LGBT Contestants and winners soon.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »
Oh, and also Jin Xing from TAR China 3.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:25 AM »
Oh, and also Jin Xing from TAR China 3.

wow there are so many of them! I'm so proud  :2hearts:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/meet-oprah-china-who-happens-be-transgender-942750

Is this her? The article describes her to be the Oprah of China, which means that she's quite a notable figure in China (and even in Korea!).

Jin on the set of her weekly variety program, The Jin Xing Show, which garners an estimated 100 million viewers per week.

It's so good to see people of prominence participate on the race!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 03:16:39 AM »
Jin Xing is a huge star. And she was absolutely amazing on TAR China.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:48 AM »
Violet, in case you weren't aware, TAR China pretty much involves celebrities and their loved ones from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Chinese people living in the USA.

Jin Xing? She brought along her German husband who speaks maybe 10 words of Chinese, Heinz.

That is why TAR China 3 is the best season of TAR China.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 05:17:30 AM »
Violet, in case you weren't aware, TAR China pretty much involves celebrities and their loved ones from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Chinese people living in the USA.

Jin Xing? She brought along her German husband who speaks maybe 10 words of Chinese, Heinz.

That is why TAR China 3 is the best season of TAR China.

Heinz has some serious courage in participating against 14 other people who do speak Chinese.

But no, I was unaware about TAR China's format, G.B. - still trying to catch up with international versions of the race. Heck, there are a few seasons of TARUS I haven't seen! Not afraid to admit it, but atm I'm trying to explore the other seasons.

Thanks so much for the input though, I appreciate the way this thread is coming along.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 05:25:20 AM »
Also, I was compiling a list of LGBT racers, and while I was cross-checking, it also showed up that (either one or both of) Kisha & Jen were lesbians ? Could somebody confirm ?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 05:27:04 AM »
Also, I was compiling a list of LGBT racers, and while I was cross-checking, it also showed up that (either one or both of) Kisha & Jen were lesbians ? Could somebody confirm ?

I was just about to do that myself. Hope I don't step on your toes?

Wikipedia notes that Kisha is a lesbian. This may or may not have been confirmed in a post-race interview, but I'm like 90% sure it was never mentioned on the show.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
Gay/Lesbian couples on TAR:
Carlos & Orlando (TARLA6)
Carol & Brandy (TAR16)
Diego & Miguel (TARLA1)
Fer & Ferds (TARLA4)
Harley & Jonathan (TAR26)
Joe & Bill (TAR1/TAR11)
Josh & Brent (TAR21)
Juanjo & Beto (TARLA5)
Julie & Vichy (TARN1)
Kate & Pat (TAR12)
Laura & Jackie (TARC3)
Lisa & Nicole (TARA5)
Lynn & Alex (TAR7)
Narciso & Marcelo (TARACM)
Reichen & Chip (TAR4)
Rex & Bob (TARC2)
Ron & Bill (TAR19)
Sam & Paul (TARC5)
Steph & Kristen (TARC4)
Tim & Te Jay (TAR25)
Tom & Terry (TAR10)
Trevor & Chris (TAR30)

Other confirmed gay contestants:
Aaron (TAR3)
Alon H. (TARI2)
Andrew (TAR3)
Antoine (TARC4)
Ari (TAR12)
Bergen & Kurt (TAR26)
Brent & Sean (TARC3)
James Earl (TAR27)
Jamie & Pierre (TARC1)
Jaymes (TAR21)
Joey (TAR22/TAR24)
Jordan P. (TAR16)
Justin (TAR19)
Ken (TAR3)
Kisha (TAR14/TAR18)
Lauren (TAR10)
Luke (TAR14/TAR18/TAR24)
Mel & Mike (TAR14/TAR18)
Oswald & Danny (TAR2)
Patrick (TAR7)
Rob (TARC2)
Sam & Dan (TAR15)
Scott (TAR29)
Seth (TAR29)
Tom & Uriel (TARI4)
Tyler & Korey (TAR28)

Transgender Contestants:
Jervi (TARP1)
Jin Xing (TARCh3)
Hamilton (TARC3)
Hương Giang (TARV3/TARV5)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:30:55 AM by G.B. »

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:34 PM »

I was just about to do that myself. Hope I don't step on your toes?

Wikipedia notes that Kisha is a lesbian. This may or may not have been confirmed in a post-race interview, but I'm like 90% sure it was never mentioned on the show.

I started rewatching season 14 to probe to recheck whether either Kisha or Jen talk about their sexuality. While, Kisha and Jen don't talk about their sexuality, Mike says that "being gay with a gay father has its advantages because you don't feel like you're disappointing them, cause they peached the pudge (?)" and it did make me raise some eyebrows...
Remember, being gay doesn't mean that you're a disappointment, regardless of your parents sexuality! 

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
Quick and dirty list before I go to bed. I'll fix it up later.

Gay/Lesbian couples on TAR:
Carlos & Orlando (TARLA6)
Carol & Brandy (TAR16)
Diego & Miguel (TARLA1)
Fer & Ferds (TARLA4)
Harley & Jonathan (TAR26)
Joe & Bill (TAR1/TAR11)
Josh & Brent (TAR21)
Juanjo & Beto (TARLA5)
Julie & Vichy (TARN1)
Kate & Pat (TAR12)
Laura & Jackie (TARC3)
Lisa & Nicole (TARA5)
Lynn & Alex (TAR7)
Narciso & Marcelo (TARACM)
Reichen & Chip (TAR4)
Rex & Bob (TARC2)
Ron & Bill (TAR19)
Sam & Paul (TARC5)
Steph & Kristen (TARC4)
Tim & Te Jay (TAR25)
Tom & Terry (TAR10)
Trevor & Chris (TAR30)

Other confirmed gay contestants:
Oswald & Danny (TAR2) (both gay, but not in a relationship)
Ken (TAR3) (confirmed in team introduction)
Lauren (TAR10) (major part of their story)
Luke (TAR14/TAR18/TAR24) (confirmed in TAR24)
Kisha (TAR14/TAR18)
Mel & Mike (TAR14/TAR18) (both confirmed in team introduction)
Sam & Dan (TAR15) (gay brothers)
Dan & Jordan (TAR16) (gay brothers)
Joey (TAR22/TAR24) (confirmed online)
Bergen & Kurt (TAR26) (gay blind date)
Tyler (TAR28) (confirmed online)
Seth (TAR29) (confirmed in episode one)  <--Is this correct? I feel like I'm mis-remembering
Jamie & Pierre (TARC1) (gay best friends)
Tom & Uriel (TARI4) (gay best friends)

That's all I can think of for now, my brain stopped working an hour ago...

amazing job on this list G.B.! I really don't think Seth is gay but I feel that Scott mentions that he is gay? I'll check it and update you!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
I just checked, yeah it's Seth.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:25:04 PM by G.B. »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
I don't think Dan of Dan & Jordan is gay. Just Jordan.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
I don't think Dan of Dan & Jordan is gay. Just Jordan.

You're right. I was blurring them together with Sam & Dan (I was up WAY too late)

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
Scott (of Brooke & Scott) from TAR 29 is gay too.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 11:47:06 PM »
Don't forget James Earl from TAR27 and Joe & Bill from TAR1.
I think it was mentioned for James Earl in Episode 2 or a secret scene of it.
As for Joe & Bill, I remember them being mentioned as "two gay grandpas." ???

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 11:56:27 PM »
Joe & Bill are up there already. Their on-screen caption was "Life Partners" after all.