Author Topic: LGBT community in TAR!  (Read 108479 times)

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
LGBT community in TAR!
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:32:01 PM »
In 30 seasons of The Amazing Race, there have been a numerous amount of 'Queer' people who have ran on the show; whilst some have failed in their race, many of them have also won the race and have made us within the community proud. The Amazing Race is a very open-minded hive mind of acceptance, in the 17 years of this show's run I have never seen people complaining about LGBT racers, which makes me very proud to be a fan. Not only that, even the International versions of the show have a lot of LGBT racers, which shows that there are absolutely no barriers we face!

I've started this thread as an appreciation and acknowledgement thread for those racers of The Amazing Race who belong to the LGBT Community.

There are some rules !
1] As a thread for 'appreciation and acknowledgment' this thread only tolerates kind comments and respect for these racers; people who mock and/or insult the racers vis-a-vis their sexual identity will have to face consequences. So please think before you flame someone just based on their sexuality.
2] However, if you want to complain or criticize their behavior on the race, that will be accepted. Suppose a team containing a LGBT member was rude to another team without any provocation, you can acknowledge that they were unnecessarily attacking other racers. Dissent on race behavior will be accepted to a certain extent.
3]Please keep in mind that RFF is PG-13, so if you do have to complain about these racers, please refrain from using swear words and expletives!
4] Similarly keep in mind RFF's golden rule - don't trash other users on this thread!
5] Anybody is free to post in this thread - a misconception some people face is that you have to be LGBT to post in a thread for LGBT.

I will also try to post regular updates on the lives of these racers as to show how LGBT people progress about in daily life and that they are no different than those of us who are hetero/cis.

NOTE: I do realize that LGBT isn't the full acronym, but for the sake of simplicity while writing, we will use LGBT and it will be assumed that it encompasses all other sexualities that aren't heterosexual and/or cissexual. As of now there is still a debate as to what the official abbreviation is, but I've seen people us LGBTQQIAAP most frequently.

Let the rainbows reign! Feel free to tell everybody about your favorite LGBT moment on the race.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Re: LGBT community in TAR!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:57:29 PM »
I feel a sense of pride that TARPH was the first TAR to have a transgender Racer in Jervi who is absolutely All-Star worthy on any TAR. She was awesome.
She worked in Philippine entertainment before TAR as a writer, but became a producer/editor on TARPH2. She recently gained a lot of attention recently for some viral videos impersonating a well-known news anchor which led to a lot of TV guestings and some acting roles too.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
LGBT people (same-sex couples) are actually really cute to watch!

We need more of them!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »
I feel a sense of pride that TARPH was the first TAR to have a transgender Racer in Jervi who is absolutely All-Star worthy on any TAR. She was awesome.
She worked in Philippine entertainment before TAR as a writer, but became a producer/editor on TARPH2. She recently gained a lot of attention recently for some viral videos impersonating a well-known news anchor which led to a lot of TV guestings and some acting roles too.

OH MY GOD

I just realized that now!!! That Jervi from TARPh is KaladKaren Davila's Jervi!!! Wow! :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »

That's Amazing!
I've actually not seen The Amazing Race Philippines, I'm being honest here, but I had heard of a transgender racer on the show. I had thought about checking it out but then other things came up and I forgot about her.

So I did a little background check on her, and she and her partner made an impact on the race!
There are no videos specifically for her and Saida, but there is really not much content online.

The “besties” met while working on the same daily noontime show for years—Saida was a mainstay dancer, while Jervi worked as the program’s floor director. They consider themselves the ultimate mix of beauty and brains on the race. More than that, they claim that their dynamic combination is unique. Jervi and Saida also insist that they are smarter than how they appear while racing. Both are used to being underestimated. On the race, they want to prove how much more of themselves they can become.

This was their only interview as such. If anybody has seen TARPH 1 Please fill me on these 2, I would love to get to know more about them!

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »

OH MY GOD

I just realized that now!!! That Jervi from TARPh is KaladKaren Davila's Jervi!!! Wow! :hearts:

Yup! That's her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozT2tsf-v4

This is an interview she gave LAST YEAR! I presume she's a prominent figure in the Philippines :D?

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
These have been taken off of Saida and Jervi's Wikia (http://amazingrace.wikia.com/wiki/Saida_%26_Jervi) (BE WARNED THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR TARPH 1 IN THAT LINK)

Saida

Purpose in joining: I like trying extreme adventures! The race is also an opportunity for me to travel and meet a lot of people.

Jervi

Purpose in joining: I love to travel! But more importantly, I want to prove to my dad that I am tough, smart, and pretty.

While Saida and Jervi were the 1st Transgender to come on an installment of the race (2012), season 3 of The Amazing Race Canada (2015) also has a transgendered dating couple - Hamilton and Michaelia. Hamilton is a female transitioned male and he and Michaelia are Engaged!
So proud to see people from all walks of the community participate.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
Don't forget TAR Vietnam's Hương Giang. She raced on two seasons of the show (2014/2016), and was also transgender.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 12:43:27 PM »
Don't forget TAR Vietnam's Hương Giang. She raced on two seasons of the show (2014/2016), and was also transgender.

Wow I really need to brush up on the International versions of TAR xD. Thanks for that input!

Show content
I looked into their team and they're also winner of their season (3 I believe!) ! This puts them up on the wall of LGBT winners, we have so many of them! I'm so proud of them! I'll prepare a list of LGBT Contestants and winners soon.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »
Oh, and also Jin Xing from TAR China 3.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:25 AM »
Oh, and also Jin Xing from TAR China 3.

wow there are so many of them! I'm so proud  :2hearts:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/meet-oprah-china-who-happens-be-transgender-942750

Is this her? The article describes her to be the Oprah of China, which means that she's quite a notable figure in China (and even in Korea!).

Jin on the set of her weekly variety program, The Jin Xing Show, which garners an estimated 100 million viewers per week.

It's so good to see people of prominence participate on the race!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 03:16:39 AM »
Jin Xing is a huge star. And she was absolutely amazing on TAR China.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:48 AM »
Violet, in case you weren't aware, TAR China pretty much involves celebrities and their loved ones from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Chinese people living in the USA.

Jin Xing? She brought along her German husband who speaks maybe 10 words of Chinese, Heinz.

That is why TAR China 3 is the best season of TAR China.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 05:17:30 AM »
Violet, in case you weren't aware, TAR China pretty much involves celebrities and their loved ones from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Chinese people living in the USA.

Jin Xing? She brought along her German husband who speaks maybe 10 words of Chinese, Heinz.

That is why TAR China 3 is the best season of TAR China.

Heinz has some serious courage in participating against 14 other people who do speak Chinese.

But no, I was unaware about TAR China's format, G.B. - still trying to catch up with international versions of the race. Heck, there are a few seasons of TARUS I haven't seen! Not afraid to admit it, but atm I'm trying to explore the other seasons.

Thanks so much for the input though, I appreciate the way this thread is coming along.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 05:25:20 AM »
Also, I was compiling a list of LGBT racers, and while I was cross-checking, it also showed up that (either one or both of) Kisha & Jen were lesbians ? Could somebody confirm ?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 05:27:04 AM »
Also, I was compiling a list of LGBT racers, and while I was cross-checking, it also showed up that (either one or both of) Kisha & Jen were lesbians ? Could somebody confirm ?

I was just about to do that myself. Hope I don't step on your toes?

Wikipedia notes that Kisha is a lesbian. This may or may not have been confirmed in a post-race interview, but I'm like 90% sure it was never mentioned on the show.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
Gay/Lesbian couples on TAR:
Carlos & Orlando (TARLA6)
Carol & Brandy (TAR16)
Diego & Miguel (TARLA1)
Fer & Ferds (TARLA4)
Harley & Jonathan (TAR26)
Joe & Bill (TAR1/TAR11)
Josh & Brent (TAR21)
Juanjo & Beto (TARLA5)
Julie & Vichy (TARN1)
Kate & Pat (TAR12)
Laura & Jackie (TARC3)
Lisa & Nicole (TARA5)
Lynn & Alex (TAR7)
Narciso & Marcelo (TARACM)
Reichen & Chip (TAR4)
Rex & Bob (TARC2)
Ron & Bill (TAR19)
Sam & Paul (TARC5)
Steph & Kristen (TARC4)
Tim & Te Jay (TAR25)
Tom & Terry (TAR10)
Trevor & Chris (TAR30)

Other confirmed gay contestants:
Aaron (TAR3)
Alon H. (TARI2)
Andrew (TAR3)
Antoine (TARC4)
Ari (TAR12)
Bergen & Kurt (TAR26)
Brent & Sean (TARC3)
James Earl (TAR27)
Jamie & Pierre (TARC1)
Jaymes (TAR21)
Joey (TAR22/TAR24)
Jordan P. (TAR16)
Justin (TAR19)
Ken (TAR3)
Kisha (TAR14/TAR18)
Lauren (TAR10)
Luke (TAR14/TAR18/TAR24)
Mel & Mike (TAR14/TAR18)
Oswald & Danny (TAR2)
Patrick (TAR7)
Rob (TARC2)
Sam & Dan (TAR15)
Scott (TAR29)
Seth (TAR29)
Tom & Uriel (TARI4)
Tyler & Korey (TAR28)

Transgender Contestants:
Jervi (TARP1)
Jin Xing (TARCh3)
Hamilton (TARC3)
Hương Giang (TARV3/TARV5)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:30:55 AM by G.B. »

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:34 PM »

I was just about to do that myself. Hope I don't step on your toes?

Wikipedia notes that Kisha is a lesbian. This may or may not have been confirmed in a post-race interview, but I'm like 90% sure it was never mentioned on the show.

I started rewatching season 14 to probe to recheck whether either Kisha or Jen talk about their sexuality. While, Kisha and Jen don't talk about their sexuality, Mike says that "being gay with a gay father has its advantages because you don't feel like you're disappointing them, cause they peached the pudge (?)" and it did make me raise some eyebrows...
Remember, being gay doesn't mean that you're a disappointment, regardless of your parents sexuality! 

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
Quick and dirty list before I go to bed. I'll fix it up later.

Gay/Lesbian couples on TAR:
Carlos & Orlando (TARLA6)
Carol & Brandy (TAR16)
Diego & Miguel (TARLA1)
Fer & Ferds (TARLA4)
Harley & Jonathan (TAR26)
Joe & Bill (TAR1/TAR11)
Josh & Brent (TAR21)
Juanjo & Beto (TARLA5)
Julie & Vichy (TARN1)
Kate & Pat (TAR12)
Laura & Jackie (TARC3)
Lisa & Nicole (TARA5)
Lynn & Alex (TAR7)
Narciso & Marcelo (TARACM)
Reichen & Chip (TAR4)
Rex & Bob (TARC2)
Ron & Bill (TAR19)
Sam & Paul (TARC5)
Steph & Kristen (TARC4)
Tim & Te Jay (TAR25)
Tom & Terry (TAR10)
Trevor & Chris (TAR30)

Other confirmed gay contestants:
Oswald & Danny (TAR2) (both gay, but not in a relationship)
Ken (TAR3) (confirmed in team introduction)
Lauren (TAR10) (major part of their story)
Luke (TAR14/TAR18/TAR24) (confirmed in TAR24)
Kisha (TAR14/TAR18)
Mel & Mike (TAR14/TAR18) (both confirmed in team introduction)
Sam & Dan (TAR15) (gay brothers)
Dan & Jordan (TAR16) (gay brothers)
Joey (TAR22/TAR24) (confirmed online)
Bergen & Kurt (TAR26) (gay blind date)
Tyler (TAR28) (confirmed online)
Seth (TAR29) (confirmed in episode one)  <--Is this correct? I feel like I'm mis-remembering
Jamie & Pierre (TARC1) (gay best friends)
Tom & Uriel (TARI4) (gay best friends)

That's all I can think of for now, my brain stopped working an hour ago...

amazing job on this list G.B.! I really don't think Seth is gay but I feel that Scott mentions that he is gay? I'll check it and update you!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
I just checked, yeah it's Seth.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:25:04 PM by G.B. »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
I don't think Dan of Dan & Jordan is gay. Just Jordan.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
I don't think Dan of Dan & Jordan is gay. Just Jordan.

You're right. I was blurring them together with Sam & Dan (I was up WAY too late)

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
Scott (of Brooke & Scott) from TAR 29 is gay too.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 11:47:06 PM »
Don't forget James Earl from TAR27 and Joe & Bill from TAR1.
I think it was mentioned for James Earl in Episode 2 or a secret scene of it.
As for Joe & Bill, I remember them being mentioned as "two gay grandpas." ???

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 11:56:27 PM »
Joe & Bill are up there already. Their on-screen caption was "Life Partners" after all.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »
Added a few more after doing a quick search on the "other" Wiki, which keeps track of old Team bios from the official website. (I can't believe I forgot Dennis from TAR3, and I've spoken with him before! Sorry!!)

The "other" Wiki also lists a few teams in their "Gay" category, but could someone double-check these teams?

Ari/Staella
Justin/Jennifer
Jaymes/James
Stephane/Antoine (TAR Canada)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 12:17:53 AM »
Antoine is, he talked in media articles about how accepting Stephane was when he came out.

Jaymes & James, one of them is, I can never remember which.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:47 AM »
Antoine is, he talked in media articles about how accepting Stephane was when he came out.

Jaymes & James, one of them is, I can never remember which.

I believe Jaymes is gay, but not 100% sure!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 02:03:25 AM »
Hmmmmm.... something does not feel right in debating/determining whether a certain person is gay or not.
Or maybe it is just me :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 02:07:10 AM »
Hmmmmm.... something does not feel right in debating/determining whether a certain person is gay or not.
Or maybe it is just me :lol:

That's why my list says "confirmed". What we're debating is whether or not we're remembering correctly if they've discussed it in the episode, or in an interview. It's only people who they themselves have said "I am gay."

For the record, I confirmed all of the cases I listed three posts above. Justin, Ari and Jaymes are gay, though only Justin was revealed on television.

Unless anyone has something to add, I think that's everybody...?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:14:24 AM by G.B. »

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 06:44:58 AM »
Jaymes has an Instagram, and he's dating a guy who had a major part in 2004 film Mean Girls.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
 I totally support this thread as Violet outlined it. BUT I agree with Cocoa...

Making a "list" to debate sexual status is ...tacky.

If you want to comment on gay rights, gay leadership, how people have or are making a difference then I am all for it..

If this thread is about making "lists" or adding labels....then no.

Moving forward please.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 04:05:06 PM »
I really think you are looking at that post in entirely the wrong way. What I have created is no different than the TAR Wiki having an "LGBT Teams" category, or Wikipedia's "Gay Actors" category. This is not a list of every single team and what we believe their sexuality to be. Literally all this is, it's a record of any team or contestant who has identified themselves as gay during their time on the race. Nothing on the list is speculation. These individuals have openly come out as gay either on The Amazing Race, in a post-race interview, on their pre-race team bio, or on social media.

I see the entire world as numbers. Everything is numbers and lists to me. At the same time, I am bisexual and would never arbitrarily assign a label to anybody.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 07:01:16 PM »
Literally all this is, it's a record of any team or contestant who has identified themselves as gay during their time on the race

I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is "is s/he or isn't s/he?"

If it isn't known from the race or clear from social media...this is NOT the place for speculation.

Most of our LGBT friends are proud of their choices. If there is doubt one way or another, then leave it be.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2018, 09:14:03 PM »
All right. Wasn't debating anything. I brought up instances that other websites claimed and wanted to verify if it was true or not, so that I would NOT make any false claims.

That's all done now anyway.

I must say I was happy to see that two of the racers (Mike W. and Brandy S.) are openly bisexual, as I had been commenting to others before that the race had never really featured bi representation. Too bad the show never really covered that (but then again, how would it come up? lol)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
I see the entire world as numbers. Everything is numbers and lists to me.
Love this expression. I share the same worldview, if you can call it that.

On a more thematic note, I've been waiting for seasons for another all-female dating couple. Why have we only had 2 in 30 seasons?? I know everybody keeps saying this, but let me just repeat that S26 was such a huge missed opportunity.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »
Six F/F dating couples in 74 seasons in total. I really do have to ask why...?

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 01:09:40 AM »
As I have explained in a message to Peach I'm sure none of us have negative intentions on this thread. As even G.B. has has clarified his stance I see no need to delve into the matter anymore, and we will be moving on from the matter.

However, if anyone does have any issues whatsoever at all, feel free to send me a personal message! I might reply late, but I will see to it that your issue is looked into or resolved (i.e. only if it is a serious matter, Please don't flood me with spam), As an active member of the LGBT community in my country I take sexual profiling and other issues of the sort VERY SERIOUSLY.
So please, if you see something which you don't feel is right, message me, and even if I'm unavailable please forward your problem to peach.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 01:21:36 AM »
I see the entire world as numbers. Everything is numbers and lists to me.
Love this expression. I share the same worldview, if you can call it that.

On a more thematic note, I've been waiting for seasons for another all-female dating couple. Why have we only had 2 in 30 seasons?? I know everybody keeps saying this, but let me just repeat that S26 was such a huge missed opportunity.

I see eye to eye, Marionete! S26 was definitely a missed opportunity. In totality there have been only 6 lesbian teams in TAR history (aforementioned by G.B.) and they are:
--> The Amazing Race 12 = Kate and Pat
--> The Amazing Race 16 = Carol and Brandy
--> The Amazing Race Norge 1 = Julie and Vichy
--> The Amazing Race Canada 2 = Jackie and Laura
--> The Amazing Race Canada 4 = Steph and Kristen
--> The Amazing Race Asia 5 = Lisa and Nicole 

I think when Canada in 5 seasons is at par with US in 30 seasons, we definitely should see more dating FF teams on the race.
Show content
Kudos to Steph and Kristen for being the 1st LGBT & FF team to win a season of The Amazing Race Canada and for being the 1st Lesbian team to ever win a race!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 01:58:32 AM »
Yeah, I didn't realize this until just now when making the list, but in three seasons The Amazing Race Australia has never featured any openly LGBT contestants. I find that to be rather surprising, tbqh.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2018, 04:32:00 AM »
Yeah, I didn't realize this until just now when making the list, but in three seasons The Amazing Race Australia has never featured any openly LGBT contestants. I find that to be rather surprising, tbqh.

We didn't really have too many same-sex couples, until the law was passed in October last year...

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »

We didn't really have too many same-sex couples, until the law was passed in October last year...

Point. But we have a few teams on TARLA and only 1/2 of the countries in Latin America allows LGBT Marriages and openly promote sexual identification. Sexualities are still considered a taboo in many parts of the world.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »
Yeah, but we still had "Married Couple" Reichen & Chip before Same-Sex Marriage was legal anywhere in the USA.

(I'm mostly going off info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory just in case any of that is incorrect)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 01:38:27 AM »
Just a fun #TARFamily Night!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 02:21:00 AM »
Who's that man with Lisa and Nicole?

Offline ZA-TAR-fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »
Who's that man with Lisa and Nicole?

TAR 29's Joey ?

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »
Amazing pics Peach! Where did you find these though?
Really wish we could have seen more of these 2. I mean, they weren't even present for a full leg...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 08:19:08 AM »
That's Joey Corvino of course Bourkie!!

Find them? Ha, I took it!  We all had dinner and a great evening of storytelling last night. #TARFamily
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:41:47 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »

Find them? Ha, I took it!  We all had dinner and a great evening of storytelling last night. $TARFamily

OMG, I've forgotten TAR29's contestants, already! :funny:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
Here's a quick rundown of how LGBT contestants on the show have finished so far:

1st - 8
2nd - 5
3rd - 6
4th - 3
5th - 5
6th - 4
7th - 6
8th - 7
9th - 7
10th - 5
11th - 3

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2018, 11:06:47 PM »
I think you have Dennis (TAR3) mixed up with his son Andrew.  Dennis was represented as a Kentucky father who was having trouble accepting his son's sexuality.
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2018, 12:46:37 AM »
There is, again, no explanation for how that was mixed up (Again, I've SPOKEN WITH HIM! I'm so sorryyyyyy)

I've never been good with names in the first place. I spent like five minutes trying to remember the name of TAR29 Joey's partner...

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2018, 02:10:38 AM »
There is, again, no explanation for how that was mixed up (Again, I've SPOKEN WITH HIM! I'm so sorryyyyyy)

I've never been good with names in the first place. I spent like five minutes trying to remember the name of TAR29 Joey's partner...

Joey's partner was Tara!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2018, 02:51:37 AM »
lol, I know that now. I was just giving an example from the past of how bad I am with names.

I would probably forget my own name...

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2018, 03:23:49 AM »

Find them? Ha, I took it!  We all had dinner and a great evening of storytelling last night. $TARFamily

Oh my God, that's amazing ! That's so cool tbh, I wish I knew racers in real life.
Did you tell them about the LGBT Thread? Would love to hear their thoughts and have them over.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2018, 01:27:21 AM »
List of countries where LGBT contestants come from:

-->USA = Same-sex sexual activity legal (in some parts since 1960) and nationwide legalization in 2015, 239 years after independence.

-->Canada = Same-sex sexual activity legal since 1969, 102 years after independence. Homosexual rape (rape in general) a serious punishable offense, Gender identity and expression legally recognized and LGBT service in military openly allowed since 1992.

then-Justice Minister and Attorney General of Canada Pierre Trudeau (who eventually became the 15th Prime Minister of Canada) famously commenting, "There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation."

-->Vietnam = Same-sex sexual activity not codified. No known same-sex sexual activity law against homosexuality has been passed in Vietnamese history. Transgender people allowed to legally change gender after reassignment surgery.
In November 2016, Vietnam, together with South Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Israel, Thailand, Nepal and Mongolia, were the only Asian countries to vote in favor of the appointment of an independent expert to raise awareness of the discrimination faced by the LGBT community and to find ways to properly protect them.

-->Guatemala = Same-sex sexual activity for both men and women legal since 1871, 50 years post independence.

-->Mexico = Same-sex sexual activity legal status legal since 1871, 61 years post independence. Gender identity/expression for Transgender persons, can change their legal gender and name in Mexico City and 2 states.

-->Brazil = Same-sex sexual activity legal status legal since 1830, 8 years post independence. Age of consent equalised for homosexuality,
Gender identity/expression    Legal since 2009, official standard for altering legal sex doesn't require surgery since 2018, Allowed to serve openly for military service.

-->Philippines = Same-sex sexual activity legal status legal, Gays, lesbians and bisexuals allowed to serve openly in military since 2009, 111 years after independence.

-->Israel = Same-sex sexual activity legal status    legal since 1988, 40 years post independence. (but no record of enforcement of "buggery" law before this, and the Attorney General declared that laws against homosexuality would not be enforced in 1963.)
Gender identity/expression - legal sex change possible without the need for surgery. LGBT people allowed to serve openly in military service.

Hm. Brazil took 8 years to grant LGBT rights, whereas it took USA 239 years. Hmmm. 8 years for a country to recognize that LGBT people exist, but some countries still haven't figured out the fact that they have rights. *sigh*

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:20 AM »
I was balancing many things in these past few days, and one among them were seeing the 'Escape The Night' which is a YouTube Red series. It is hosted by Joey Graceffa, and in the second season (2017) Tyler Oakley appears as a guest on the show. As you all may know, Joey and Tyler have both competed on the race and as a matter of fact, both of them are also gay!
So I do recommend that you all go and see this show. If you want to see the one in which both Tyler and Joey are there, see Escape The Night season 2 (2017), and if you want to watch it from the start then do watch season 1 (2016), which has Joey in it. Each episode is 20-25 minutes and there are 10 in a season.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2018, 05:28:01 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/fashion/weddings/vows-amazing-race-tom-rock-terry-cosentino.html

This is a slightly old article from December 2016 but do give this a read!

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 01:09:22 PM »
Here's a quick rundown of how LGBT contestants on the show have finished so far:

1st - 8
2nd - 5
3rd - 6
4th - 3
5th - 5
6th - 4
7th - 6
8th - 7
9th - 7
10th - 5
11th - 3

Us gays are natural winners  :funny:

unfortunetly if I were to join I'd add a 4th person to the 11th place category  :hfive:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »
Old news at this point I suppose, but TAR Canada just had its third team of gay winners. That's almost half of all their seasons!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2019, 03:00:13 PM »
Old news at this point I suppose, but TAR Canada just had its third team of gay winners. That's almost half of all their seasons!

I'd never heard of the concept of "two-spirit" before Anthony & James came along. (It's essentially a belief in indigenous cultures of a third-gender, as I understand it)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:05:50 PM by Maanca »

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2019, 02:09:28 AM »
If only team Ty won TARUS S31, this year will be all M/M gay teams winner
Swarm stupidity

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2019, 02:27:47 AM »
Let's add Tim & Rod from TAR Australia 4 to this list! Great Race by them, such a strong team in love and overall, they represented the gay community extremely well!