Author Topic: Why the cut in Roadblocks?  (Read 7207 times)

Offline Snausages

• RFF Not So Newbie
Why the cut in Roadblocks?
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:31:29 AM »
Why'd they drop the number of roadblocks from the usual 12-14 to 10?

Conspiracy theorist in me would assume it would be so CBS' power couple could win and not break the unofficial 4-6 max by leg's 9 and 10 since there's no denying that Jessica got carried hard.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Why the cut in Roadblocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »
Made no sense to have roadblocks in the switch partners leg, and there were a couple of legs with no detours or roadblocks, just ARIs. And no Express Pass (yay!) and no FF (boo!)

They certainly mixed up the task pattern this season. I don't think the Cody/Jessica casting had anything to do with the task selection. Back in he day, Detours always preceeded roadblocks, and the Fast Forward was made available in each leg until there were no teams left who hadn't gotten it. The pattern has changed a lot over the years. This finally, makes the tasks more unpredictable, and that is one think TPTB had long tried to repeat after season one -- the unpredictability. This season has it in droves!
-- theschnauzers

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 01:01:22 AM »
The reason is because of the partner swap and because of Leg 9, which didn't HAVE a Roadblock...  :furious:

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 01:05:08 AM »
Leg structure are not strictly RB+Detour+Pitstop nowadays. That's why we have varied RB rule in recent seasons.

Season 25 is the first ever time we have more than 1 legs without a roadblock though

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »
A similar set-up was in Season 25, with 8 legs with 1 roadblock and the finale with 2 roadblocks.

Offline Winteriscoming

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:46:14 AM »
Um Jessica was forced to do a solo task at the end and she beat Henry and Jen and won???

I thought that was the whole gimmick to the last leg.. Whoever did the climbing couldn't do the puzzle..

IF she was so weak at the tasks and not capable of doing any of them than Yale graduate Henry and Badass Jen should have beat her at the puzzle.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 03:59:29 AM »
At least it makes the leg structures more unpredictable nowadays, like this season's pure-ARI Leg 9.

At least this isn't one of the earlier seasons too wherein one member does one roadblock then the other member does 9 to 10 of them. We can say that the other member got carried hard in those earlier seasons.

I think Jessica still did her fair share of work. The final roadblock, I think, is the best example for this.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 04:16:49 AM »
At least it makes the leg structures more unpredictable nowadays, like this season's pure-ARI Leg 9.

At least this isn't one of the earlier seasons too wherein one member does one roadblock then the other member does 9 to 10 of them. We can say that the other member got carried hard in those earlier seasons.

I think Jessica still did her fair share of work. The final roadblock, I think, is the best example for this.
This is also true for last seasons' Brooke. Yes, she performs badly in tasks that both members have to complete. But when she is needed most (both the memory challenges), they shined  :conf:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:47 AM »
There was an unaired roadblock in Bahrain.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 07:54:36 AM »
And it IS very clear that RB's make a Team who has a physically weaker team member be very wise throughout the game choosing those RB's. Remember in the early season's when there were no RB limits? The stronger team member just did them all...

When you have an ARI instead of a RB it clearly can benefit an unbalanced team.

Would be interesting to know if all the ARI's were RB's...

WHO would have done each task?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »
And it IS very clear that RB's make a Team who has a physically weaker team member be very wise throughout the game choosing those RB's. Remember in the early season's when there were no RB limits? The stronger team member just did them all...

When you have an ARI instead of a RB it clearly can benefit an unbalanced team.

Would be interesting to know if all the ARI's were RB's...

WHO would have done each task?
You are talking the Baharin leg right?

I guess
Weighting log : Cody / Henry / Kristi / Alex
Pottery : Jessica / Evan / Jen / Conor
Milking Camel : Cody / Evan / Jen / Conor (As shown in the episode)

It somehow fitted a double RB pattern lol

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
Cody and Jessica weren't even selected until 2 weeks before filming. The route and tasks had to be locked down before that time. I don't think this conspiracy theory holds any weight. The Bahrain leg was certainly very odd though: is that the first leg ever without either a detour or RB?

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Cody and Jessica weren't even selected until 2 weeks before filming. The route and tasks had to be locked down before that time. I don't think this conspiracy theory holds any weight. The Bahrain leg was certainly very odd though: is that the first leg ever without either a detour or RB?

Nah, the finale leg of Tar 29 had done this format before
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:45:54 AM by elthemagnifico »
what might have been

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
What about non-finale legs?
I'm pretty sure it was a first in the American edition.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »
Cody and Jessica weren't even selected until 2 weeks before filming. The route and tasks had to be locked down before that time. I don't think this conspiracy theory holds any weight.

Agree with no conspiracy theory. That is not what I was referring to. It DOES make a difference in who does what and the importance of that.  Not having a RB balance takes away another important skill on TAR.

I really liked most all the tasks this season except the FaceOff . Mostly challenging, relevant, and well thought out. But RB's need to come back immediately.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Lexie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
Hopefully, this will be the first and last season where we are subjected to the Face-Off.  TAR got hammered on social media by the fans.

Offline Tiger87

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
I enjoyed the Face Off. Added a new element and some intense pressure on the last few couples. As for the conspiracy theory, it's bunk. There were certain tasks that favored certain people throughout the entire race. If you watched Cody and Jess on BB, you would know that BOTH of them are comp beasts. Cody is a machine and Jess proved to be really good at puzzles. That's how they ended up winning what was essentially a dead-tie right at the finish line.

If you are looking for a conspiracy, how about a challenge at the end of the game requiring Chinese language skills - with Henry participating?

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »
Speaking a foreign language is a great skill to have, just like being physically fit. There is no weight to any conspiracy theory for Henry there. Remember season 14, which had 3 straight legs in China catered to Tammy and Victor, including language tasks and Chinese-character writing tasks. Sometimes it just happens.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
The routes and the majority of tasks are usually in place before the casting.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 05:06:02 PM »
Why is everyone saying TAR30 is a conspiracy???

TAR production team decide tasks BEFORE the route and doesn't KNOW who will be in the race, on that specific leg!

Offline zuzuspetals

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »
Why is everyone saying TAR30 is a conspiracy???

TAR production team decide tasks BEFORE the route and doesn't KNOW who will be in the race, on that specific leg!

To be fair, only one poster is harping on the 'conspiracy'  ...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »
Again...this is a discussion thread about Roadblocks...NOT each other. Stay on topic or be deleted .

AND READ MY SIG PLEASE!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 01:08:33 AM »
I firmly believe that both the first and final legs should be double roadblock, so both team members can shine
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move