Author Topic: TAR 30 EP 11&12 FINALE NIGHT LIVE SHOW DISCUSSION! 2/21/17  (Read 56009 times)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
Re: TAR 30 EP 11&12 FINALE NIGHT LIVE SHOW DISCUSSION! 2/21/17
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
I also appreciate the clarification. That was smart for production to do but it must have made it harder for the judge. Did he have to remember all three planes or was there a cheat sheet?

I think he remembered the 12 images that needed to be on the plane. But each check took about 60-90 seconds. It wasn't a fast process by any means. I also think that the "rules guys" had a cheat sheet for each of our planes and probably indicated to the "Captain" when we had it right.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
She had not finished the task because they could not leave the area and run to the finish line until the verbal instruction was completed. The judge gave verbal task instruction to taxi the plane to your teammate.  Jessica should have figured out how to taxi on her own. Cody did provide instructions on how to taxi by yelling roll the plane.

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
She had not finished the task because they could not leave the area and run to the finish line until the verbal instruction was completed. The judge gave verbal task instruction to taxi the plane to your teammate.  Jessica should have figured out how to taxi on her own. Cody did provide instructions on how to taxi by yelling roll the plane.

The task was assembling the plane not figuring out how to taxi it back to the partner.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:29:01 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »
If the task was complete with the plane assembled, why didn't Cody run over and help push?

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
If the task was complete with the plane assembled, why didn't Cody run over and help push?

Ok so let's run through it. It was an ARI with a roadblock-like component where the member who didn't do the roadblock had to assemble the plane on their own. Keep in mind, that was the only part that was stipulated in the episode, that they had to assemble the plane without help. Teams were able to strategize though while getting the plane parts about the stickers and such apparently, so obviously, the rules were not the same as a roadblock. From what I'm getting, the only things that the other teammate couldn't help with were saying what plane parts to use, actually helping put the parts on, and physically pushing the plane to the line (the judge told the assembly participant to push the plane to their shipmate, meaning two couldnt push). Not to mention, by your logic, Kristi saying "Good job Jen, push it to the line" would also be a penalty. If multiple teams did it and no penalties were handed out, I'm pretty sure it wasn't against the rules.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »

Ok so let's run through it. It was an ARI with a roadblock-like component where the member who didn't do the roadblock had to assemble the plane on their own. Keep in mind, that was the only part that was stipulated in the episode, that they had to assemble the plane without help. Teams were able to strategize though while getting the plane parts about the stickers and such apparently, so obviously, the rules were not the same as a roadblock. From what I'm getting, the only things that the other teammate couldn't help with were saying what plane parts to use, actually helping put the parts on, and physically pushing the plane to the line (the judge told the assembly participant to push the plane to their shipmate, meaning two couldnt push). Not to mention, by your logic, Kristi saying "Good job Jen, push it to the line" would also be a penalty. If multiple teams did it and no penalties were handed out, I'm pretty sure it wasn't against the rules.

Cody's words to Jess were merely encouragement. The Captain told Jess to push it to her partner. I don't see this as worthy of a penalty in the least.  The rules were a bit convoluted for this challenge though. It was unclear whether you could look at the images with your partner before you attempted to solve it. We aired on the side of caution and didn't discuss the images at all. Just hauled them to the flight deck.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2018, 10:21:34 PM »
Jen, do you know how far were Indy behind you at the Hong Kong pitstop?
Checking the episode with the operation hours of the train and buses, it seems like all 3 teams finished within 00:00 - 01:00, while Indy car said they met Phil at 3:30am.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2018, 10:57:50 PM »
Jen, do you know how far were Indy behind you at the Hong Kong pitstop?
Checking the episode with the operation hours of the train and buses, it seems like all 3 teams finished within 00:00 - 01:00, while Indy car said they met Phil at 3:30am.

Answered this elsewhere, but for simplicity:

I don't know exactly. Kristi and I definitely finished around 1 a.m. They took us to a McDonalds and were hiding us away for at least an hour and a half. I think part of the reason they went to get the boys was because they were trying to hide both Indy and us from Yale and BB so that there was that surprise "reveal" moment at the airport. So, I'd say they were out there for minimum of another 1.5 hrs if not longer. We finally saw Indy arrive to the interview location when we were leaving our interview. Which had to have been at least 2.5 hours after we got to the mat. So, that 3:30 timeline could be accurate.

Offline Pinnacle94080

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2018, 11:28:46 PM »
Is it just me or did I see someone taking pics and/or videos outside the fortune cookie place? ;)

Lol. That was me & yes I was recording and taking pics which covered my face so there goes my 5 seconds of fame.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #209 on: February 26, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »
I also appreciate the clarification. That was smart for production to do but it must have made it harder for the judge. Did he have to remember all three planes or was there a cheat sheet?

I think he remembered the 12 images that needed to be on the plane. But each check took about 60-90 seconds. It wasn't a fast process by any means. I also think that the "rules guys" had a cheat sheet for each of our planes and probably indicated to the "Captain" when we had it right.

Jen: The thought has occurred to me about that final task, that perhaps all twelve symbols appeared twice on different parts, so that if someone doing the task had the right set of parts on the plane, then the unused parts also had the same 12 symbols, but in a different order.

And did either you or Kristi realize during the collection phase of that task what the symbols represented, or had the instructions already told the teams that? I admit I am surprised they had symbols representing leg locations on two separate tasks in both of the final legs. That was different.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
Jen: The thought has occurred to me about that final task, that perhaps all twelve symbols appeared twice on different parts, so that if someone doing the task had the right set of parts on the plane, then the unused parts also had the same 12 symbols, but in a different order.
Wait, this doesn't make sense. I believe there were 12 pieces and each had 2 symbols? Then for sure we couldn't have had 2 sets of the correct symbols.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
Wait, this doesn't make sense. I believe there were 12 pieces and each had 2 symbols? Then for sure we couldn't have had 2 sets of the correct symbols.

I share the drawing of all my plane parts on my blog: jenhudak.com/amazing-race-30-11-12

There were 22 unique images and two repeats (the helmet for Iceland and the fish for Morocco). There was only one correct solution, and it was the same combination of 12 images for each team. Each piece had two images on them, and the combination of two images was the always the same across each plane. The only difference was what piece had the images on them. For example, one of my wings had the scale from Bahrain and the cantene from Imire, but those were on Jess' propeller.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #212 on: February 26, 2018, 06:37:12 PM »

I share the drawing of all my plane parts on my blog: jenhudak.com/amazing-race-30-11-12

There were 22 unique images and two repeats (the helmet for Iceland and the fish for Morocco). There was only one correct solution, and it was the same combination of 12 images for each team. Each piece had two images on them, and the combination of two images was the always the same across each plane. The only difference was what piece had the images on them. For example, one of my wings had the scale from Bahrain and the cantene from Imire, but those were on Jess' propeller.
Thanks. The show wasn’t clear about some aspects of the 24 images, so I wanted to verify exactly what the Racers were dealing with.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
Thanks Jen for detailing your travels! Do hang around for a while, us obsessive types might have a few questions as we map out the route and fill in the gaps in the timeline!
Agreed that the final challenge was set up unfairly, and your team was shortchanged at this crucial juncture. Here are the pieces each team had:

White (Jessica)Red (Jen)Blue (Henry)
Helmet (Iceland, 1)/Fish (Tangiers, 3)Left wingPropellerWing
Fries (Antwerp, 2)/Elephant (Chiang Mai, 10)Left wingTailplaneTail fin
Pontoon (Imire, 7)/Scales (Bahrain, 9)PropellerLeft wingTailplane
Magnifying glass (Prague, 6)/Paddle (San Francisco, 12)Tail finLeft wingPropeller
Rudder (St-Tropez, 4)/Handcuffs (Hong Kong, 11)TailplaneTail finTailplane
Knight (Arles, 5)/Microphone (Harare, 8 )TailplaneTailplaneLeft wing
Map of Geneva?/Train (Imire, 7)PropellerRight wingTailplane
Drinking horn (Iceland, 1)/Rope ladder (Antwerp, 2)Right wingTailplanePropeller
Fish (Tangiers, 3)/Fortune cookie (San Francisco, 12)Right wingPropellerTailplane
Tyre (Harare, 8 )/Scorpion (Chiang Mai, 10)Tail finTailplaneWing
Helmet (Iceland, 1)/Falcon (Bahrain, 9)TailplaneTail finRight wing
Beer spa (Prague, 6)/Baseball bats (Hong Kong, 11)TailplaneRight wingTail fin
Bold denotes correct answer.

While I'm not sure about Henry, it was impossible for Jessica and Jen to finish with a structurally-sound plane; they both needed a plane with two left wings.
Shame on the producers! Why would they bother making the wings differently if they didn't bother to make them count?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:30:48 AM by Neobie »

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »
Interestingly, Jen said in her AMA on Reddit that the taxi situation was resolved by production pausing all three teams so whoever hadn't paid could go do so. It was Extreme and Yale who had not paid.

It seems weird they would make everyone stop, no? Wouldn't it be considered an advantage for the team who did pay theirs? If they had had to go to a new location, would they pause for the team that didn't have a cab to get one?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »
Interestingly, Jen said in her AMA on Reddit that the taxi situation was resolved by production pausing all three teams so whoever hadn't paid could go do so. It was Extreme and Yale who had not paid.

It seems weird they would make everyone stop, no? Wouldn't it be considered an advantage for the team who did pay theirs? If they had had to go to a new location, would they pause for the team that didn't have a cab to get one?

They restarted the time BEFORE we went out to pay our cabs. So, Jessica & Cody were able to continue looking for plane parts when we had to go out and pay our cab.  Thanks for asking this! I realize I did not make that clear in my post on Reddit, so I just went and modified it there too.

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
Oh gotcha! Thanks for clarifying!

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
Thanks Jen for detailing your travels! Do hang around for a while, us obsessive types might have a few questions as we map out the route and fill in the gaps in the timeline!
Agreed that the final challenge was set up unfairly, and your team was shortchanged at this crucial juncture. Here are the pieces each team had:

White (Jessica)Red (Jen)Blue (Henry)
Helmet (Iceland, 1)/Fish (Tangiers, 3)Left wingPropellerWing
Fries (Antwerp, 2)/Elephant (Chiang Mai, 10)Left wingTailplaneTail fin
Pontoon (Imire, 7)/Scales (Bahrain, 9)PropellerLeft wingTailplane
Magnifying glass (Prague, 6)/Paddle (San Francisco, 12)Tail finLeft wingPropeller
Rudder (St-Tropez, 4)/Handcuffs (Hong Kong, 11)TailplaneTail finTailplane
Knight (Arles, 5)/Microphone (Harare, 8 )TailplaneTailplaneLeft wing
Map of Geneva?/Train (Imire, 7)PropellerRight wingTailplane
Drinking horn (Iceland, 1)/Rope ladder (Antwerp, 2)Right wingTailplanePropeller
Fish (Tangiers, 3)/Fortune cookie (San Francisco, 12)Right wingPropellerTailplane
Tyre (Harare, 8 )/Scorpion (Chiang Mai, 10)Tail finTailplaneWing
Helmet (Iceland, 1)/Falcon (Bahrain, 9)TailplaneTail finRight wing
Beer spa (Prague, 6)/Baseball bats (Hong Kong, 11)TailplaneRight wingTail fin
Bold denotes correct answer.

While I'm not sure about Henry, it was impossible for Jessica and Jen to finish with a structurally-sound plane; they both needed a plane with two left wings.
Shame on the producers! Why would they bother making the wings differently if they didn't bother to make them count?

Neobie! Thank you for your attention to detail on this! I drew out each plane on Sunday and came to the same conclusion. I couldn't find images from the edited show to determine if Henry's were both left wings, but I did look at his plane after I completed mine and all planes had both left wings.

I do have one other nerd question, if you feel up to the task. The images that they flashed on the screen after two of my checks seem like impossible combinations. For two reasons: 1) I never had the Left Wing/Left Wing combination until my final solution (as that was the major roadblock for me solving the puzzle) 2) one of them is showing an incorrect image of a keel, which is the stand alone image for St. Tropez.

The only reason that this is significant at all, is that it makes me wonder if Henry actually had the solution on his plane when he switched parts last second. You can't see any of his plane parts when he's asking for that check. Makes me wonder if they were building up dramatic effect. But of course, it's truly impossible to tell. And again, makes no difference to the results. Just curiosity.

Offline ghostbusted

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
Sorry this is kind of off topic but I can't resist. Correct planes having two left wings. There has to be a political comment about mainstream TV network political views here somewhere. :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
Sorry this is kind of off topic but I can't resist. Correct planes having two left wings. There has to be a political comment about mainstream TV network political views here somewhere. :)

Hahahhahahahaa!!!!!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
The only reason that this is significant at all, is that it makes me wonder if Henry actually had the solution on his plane when he switched parts last second. You can't see any of his plane parts when he's asking for that check. Makes me wonder if they were building up dramatic effect. But of course, it's truly impossible to tell. And again, makes no difference to the results. Just curiosity.
I was wondering that too. It wouldn't be the first time TAR or any reality show did some creative editing.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »

4) Cody mentioning of not enjoyed travelling around the world constantly throught out the race, as well as in their exit interviews

I suppose it's quite tiring and he did just come off Big Brother (and had been sequestered in the Jury up to the end of it), so he probably wanted time to relax at home after all that and the stress involved.  He went on this because Jessica wanted to I guess, he said he wouldn't have done it with anyone else.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #222 on: March 03, 2018, 01:03:43 AM »
4) Cody mentioning of not enjoyed travelling around the world constantly throught out the race, as well as in their exit interviews
i don't know if he was being sarcastic most of the Race whenever he mentioned stuff like that, but he sounded like all the TAR Canada contestants and Jon himself who basically say different variations of: "You don't need to travel somewhere else!" or "It's… better getting to explore our own country." (actual quotes from the TARC3 and 4 finales)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
I do have one other nerd question, if you feel up to the task. The images that they flashed on the screen after two of my checks seem like impossible combinations. For two reasons: 1) I never had the Left Wing/Left Wing combination until my final solution (as that was the major roadblock for me solving the puzzle) 2) one of them is showing an incorrect image of a keel, which is the stand alone image for St. Tropez.

Yep, it seems like the graphics were utter rubbish. The "correct" half of the graphic seems plausible, but the "incorrect" half was full of impossible combinations. When Henry removed his fries/elephant tail fin and replaced it with beer spa/baseball bats, the graphics added beer spa/drinking horn under the "incorrect" column instead.

You can tell Henry had 3 correct parts before swapping out (fries/elephant, canteen/scales, and knight/microphone), but no idea whether the graphics correctly reflected the other 3 parts we couldn't see!

Jen, if you'd indulge us! I've a couple of questions while mapping out the route for this season here; would you mind taking a look to see if you'd recall anything?