Author Topic: TAR 30 EP 11&12 FINALE NIGHT LIVE SHOW DISCUSSION! 2/21/17  (Read 56000 times)

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 30 EP 11&12 FINALE NIGHT LIVE SHOW DISCUSSION! 2/21/17
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
According to this interview (https://parade.com/648294/mikebloom/the-amazing-race-30-cody-nickson-and-jessica-graf-go-from-evicted-to-victorious/), Jessica used a process of elimination to solve the final puzzle. She said she would change a piece then get it checked and that she had it checked about 30 times.

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member
  • Hope sir Terry had a pleasant talk with DEATH.
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »
it KILLED me when Henry had the right combination and didn't get it checked. Oh well.

This, just this...

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
got spoiled with the final result before able to watch it  :furious: Fortunately both legs were amazing.

Hong Kong: Night leg <333. Loved the detour, roadblock was OK, the final task was the best part with mini memory challenge. It was hard to find signs in a crowded area and the clue didn't say any specific sign. The fact that they need to remember the sign and use that number to open the briefcase and handcuff makes this task so cool. This is definitely one of the best penultimate legs (maybe the best) in TAR history 
Score: 10/10

San Fransisco: 2 night legs in a row <333. The final task was the highlight, one of the hardest final tasks. I just don't like the final task and the finish line were located at the same place  :nono2:
Score: 9/10

All final 4 deserve to win, but i was rooting for Henry/Evan more, especially after the other 3 teams were working together to knock them out.

Henry & Evan were boring!? I think they weren't, especially with Evan being very strategic and competitive. It's like she had some sort of villain edit at some points.

Offline boggart

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2018, 12:07:08 AM »
The finale is great
All the tasks are hard enough to allow shuffling of placement throughout the leg
Actually I would say this season is overally good. At least unlike recent season, there are much less linear legs. The tasks are always not easy for team lagging behind to catch up

However, i have to say i dun really like the winner of this season.
While watching the interview, Jessica just kept saying that she defeated team Yale in written test but i would like to point out that she had a head start over Henry (although i dunno the exact length of the head start). I am pretty sure Henry spent less time than Jessica to finish this final task. I agree that they defeated Team Yale in the race, but in terms of the final memory task, I have conservation about her saying she defected Henry

Also, Cody accused Henry of copying Jessica’s work but where is the evidence? I am very annyed by his accusation without any evidence

I just feel they are so arrogant that i dislike...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:22:59 AM by boggart »

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2018, 02:06:20 AM »
The finale is great
All the tasks are hard enough to allow shuffling of placement throughout the leg
Actually I would say this season is overally good. At least unlike recent season, there are much less linear legs. The tasks are always not easy for team lagging behind to catch up

While watching the interview, Jessica just kept saying that she defeated team Yale in written test but i would like to point out that she had a head start over Henry (although i dunno the exact length of the head start). I am pretty sure Henry spent less time than Jessica to finish this final task. I agree that they defeated Team Yale in the race, but in terms of the final memory task, I have conservation about her saying she defected Henry

Also, Cody accused Henry of copying Jessica’s work but where is the evidence? I am very annyed by his accusation without any evidence

Cody and Jessica irritated me a lot with their reactions in the past episode and the exit interview
1) They claimed Henry copied Jessica's work with no evidence
2) their reaction towards Yale's congratulation at the finish line
3) They literally said they were unhappy with Yale getting into final 3 directly next to Yale at the Hong Kong mat
4) Cody mentioning of not enjoyed travelling around the world constantly throught out the race, as well as in their exit interviews

I mean, you can dislike Yale. But your way of aliening them just show you are not good people either

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2018, 03:00:23 AM »
Finally caught the last 2 episodes, and got to say quite disappointed about the result.

The Hong Kong leg is generally great. Growing up in Hong Kong I always enjoy when TAR came to my city, and I always think the Peak should be visited as it is so beautiful, glad that they finally did it this time. If they also did a tram ride up the Peak that would be great! Detour is very good as well as it creates some challenge on either side, roadblock just meh and it doesn't represent any Hong Kong culture (what Phil said was not true and I have never seen any people here smashing electronics to release stress...). Last task at LKF is just awesome, and it is a genius plan to do it in a crowded place without letting them get people help easily, would be the best if they are not allowed to do trial and error without getting all 3 correct signs.

San Francisco leg is ok as a finale, not too many tasks involved and physical challenge seems a bit unfavourable to female racer here. The last task sounds good but too little information given, they should at least let us know what are the 12 patterns they need. Most importantly I am disappointed with the result, I am fine with anyone in F5 winning except BB, Cody is alright to me but Jessica is just hypocritical the whole time and got lucky with that final challenge. She has been the dead weight to Cody in both Bahrain and Hong Kong legs.

I would say the disappointment mostly comes from the misdirection from the producers, who always try to suggest Kristy/Jen likely winning. I thought they must win and Henry/Evan as dark horse, but never thought the final result is like now.

Hope a new TAR season coming soon to erase this bad memory...

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »
The Hong Kong pitstop of TAR30 was not purely just a random street corner!  :hfive:

1. The tree at the Junction was planted by an American Country Singer John Denver in 1994  :jumpy:

Source : 
(Left) Facebook page 'Hong Kong Taste 香港原味' https://www.facebook.com/hongkongtaste01/photos/a.1129330710505804.1073741837.183787531726798/1129331093839099/?type=3&theater 
(Right) live sighting photo by @vicdemort

photo merged by Peach

Back in 1994, a large scale greening project was carried out in the Wan Chai district. Among these 1000 trees planted in the project, this was one of the the only two trees planted by a celebrity, that is an American Country Singer John Denver (the other one was no. 600 by Chris Patten, the last Governor of Hong Kong before it was returned to China).

https://www.facebook.com/hongkongtaste01/photos/a.1129330710505804.1073741837.183787531726798/1129331093839099/?type=3

2. Besides, Joshston road was also the original coastline of Wan Chai before the large scale reclamation project back in the 1920s.  :girly

They should have made the racers guess the location of  pitstop instead of using the street board to shuffle the placement more!  >:(  :'(  :drama
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:22:00 AM by cbacbacba1 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
Love knowing this,  :tu so much for sharing!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2018, 08:54:12 AM »
Finally caught the last 2 episodes, and got to say quite disappointed about the result.

The Hong Kong leg is generally great. Growing up in Hong Kong I always enjoy when TAR came to my city, and I always think the Peak should be visited as it is so beautiful, glad that they finally did it this time. If they also did a tram ride up the Peak that would be great! Detour is very good as well as it creates some challenge on either side, roadblock just meh and it doesn't represent any Hong Kong culture (what Phil said was not true and I have never seen any people here smashing electronics to release stress...). Last task at LKF is just awesome, and it is a genius plan to do it in a crowded place without letting them get people help easily, would be the best if they are not allowed to do trial and error without getting all 3 correct signs.
I'm guessing the race planners found this article and assumed "destruction therapy" is from Hong Kong's entertainment subculture. Even the writer for this story says that there are rage rooms all around the world, so I'm not sure why they particularly chose HK.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education-community/article/2099695/anger-management-or-violent-fun-destruction
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
The finale is great

Cody and Jessica irritated me a lot with their reactions in the past episode and the exit interview
3) They literally said they were unhappy with Yale getting into final 3 directly next to Yale at the Hong Kong mat
4) Cody mentioning of not enjoyed travelling around the world constantly throught out the race, as well as in their exit interviews

I mean, you can dislike Yale. But your way of aliening them just show you are not good people either

I disagree with 1-3. With regards to 1, Cody said that he was yelling for Jessica to roll the plane because he saw Henry looking at the plane and start rushing to finish. You can't say it's not valid because you were not there and it's edited. Regarding #2, Jessica said "thank you" and Cody has that face a large majority of the time. Number 3, They never explicitly said they were unhappy right next to Yale, they just said it was hard seeing the other teams get eliminated. In fact, Yale didn't even know teams disliked them until they watched it back. You can dislike Jody, but dislike them for valid reasons lol.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
I just finished watching the finale! :woohoo:

The final task was very difficult. I can agree that it may be the most difficult task yet. If I'm not mistaken, all 24 images were part of the race. There's only a combination of it wherein exactly two images on a plane part represent exactly two legs, and that no leg can be represented by more than or less than one image. You have to know everything and especially where they're from to be able to solve the puzzle.

Regarding the discussion of the magnifying glass and Henry not being able to see it: Fyi, he switched the frites and the elephant out and placed in the beer bath and the drink in Iceland. ??? Not sure what I could get from that. I'd like to hear Henry's thoughts about it. But also, he might not have it checked immediately? Or maybe it was just not shown.

As for Jessica, if she had it checked several times by trial and error, I think it gave her more knowledge as to which ones might not be the pieces. ??? Her strategy worked better than Henry's overanalyzing, and we could see it from the final result.

Offline Jesscahc

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
I agree with these sentiments and opinions. It is disappointing to see Jessica and Cody's lack of decorum. They continued their ungraciousness towards Evan and Henry in the finale even after their win.

While Evan is portrayed to have competitive qualities that can justifiably alienate them socially, the behavior and verbal language of Jessica/Cody and Conor/Alex are atrocious and disheartening. Evan maintains a true competitive nature whereas the other two teams are just ugly spirited. Anyone catch Conor calling Henry a dirtbag?

More than anything, Jessica's failure to display even a minimal level of grace at the pit stop in Hong Kong and San Francisco next to Team Yale is majorly off-putting. Additionally, the Amazing Race, at its core, is a reality show of competitive adventures while simultaneously showcasing travel to multiple destinations in the world. Cody's continued statements of only wanting to be in America goes against the very spirit the show. Just sad.

The finale is great

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2018, 01:51:02 PM »
I agree with these sentiments and opinions. It is disappointing to see Jessica and Cody's lack of decorum. They continued their ungraciousness towards Evan and Henry in the finale even after their win.

While Evan is portrayed to have competitive qualities that can justifiably alienate them socially, the behavior and verbal language of Jessica/Cody and Conor/Alex are atrocious and disheartening. Evan maintains a true competitive nature whereas the other two teams are just ugly spirited. Anyone catch Conor calling Henry a dirtbag?

More than anything, Jessica's failure to display even a minimal level of grace at the pit stop in Hong Kong and San Francisco next to Team Yale is majorly off-putting. Additionally, the Amazing Race, at its core, is a reality show of competitive adventures while simultaneously showcasing travel to multiple destinations in the world. Cody's continued statements of only wanting to be in America goes against the very spirit the show. Just sad.

I take it you were cheering for Yale? lol. I can promise you there have been FAR worse comments made on past races about teams. Also, while I concede that they showed little grace at the hong kong pit stop and Cody's statements at times went against the spirit of the show, I don't see your point with the minimal level of grace at the finish line. Don't really see what they did wrong there and I've watched the finish multiple times.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
Is it just me or did I see someone taking pics and/or videos outside the fortune cookie place? ;)

Offline Jesscahc

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2018, 02:53:54 PM »
As a matter of fact, I went in to the season mostly indifferent but slightly rooting for Team "Jody," as that was the only team I had prior information about from Big Brother. (Particularly seeing the way they were treated in Big Brother, I expected more from their behavior.)

In actuality, I have watched many past seasons, which is why I was supremely optimistic that all the teams this season would be 'competitive' but not nasty. Furthermore, in an exit interview, Cody claimed Henry copied Jessica, whereas one can easily accuse Jessica of copying Henry's work since she was next to him.. What an incredibly tactless statement.

In summation, Jody's cumulative actions and statements throughout the season made it difficult to for me and many others to swallow their win, especially over two hungry teams who better embodied the spirit of the Amazing Race. (To clarify, I find no fault with Jessica choosing not to inform Brittany of her forgotten gnome or being selective with her words in the phone task. It is her ubiquitous negative and personal statements towards Team Ocean Rescue and Team Yale that really garnered dislike, as well as Cody's many statements seen in the additional CBS videos.)

In my opinion, Evan and Jen seem to not only be the strongest and cleanest competitors of the season, but also the most hungry for the win. To add to that, both are incredibly intelligent well-spoken. Hope both respective teams come back in the future. They deserve it.

I take it you were cheering for Yale? lol. I can promise you there have been FAR worse comments made on past races about teams. Also, while I concede that they showed little grace at the hong kong pit stop and Cody's statements at times went against the spirit of the show, I don't see your point with the minimal level of grace at the finish line. Don't really see what they did wrong there and I've watched the finish multiple times.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:57:45 PM by Jesscahc »

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »

Furthermore, in an exit interview, Cody claimed Henry copied Jessica, whereas one can easily accuse Jessica of copying Henry's work since she was next to him.. What an incredibly tactless statement.

The difference is, he wasn't accusing Henry of copying throughout the task. What he said was that after Jessica was informed that her plane was "cleared for takeoff" or whatever, while she was bear-hugging the judge, Henry started to look at Jessica's plane and then started speeding up.  Being that Yale got to the finish line minutes after Jody, it's not inconceivable.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:37:53 PM by Jro »

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »

Furthermore, in an exit interview, Cody claimed Henry copied Jessica, whereas one can easily accuse Jessica of copying Henry's work since she was next to him.. What an incredibly tactless statement.

The difference is, he wasn't accusing Henry of copying throughout the task. What he said was that after Jessica was informed that her plane was "cleared for takeoff" or whatever, while she was bear-hugging the judge, Henry started to look at Jessica's plane and then started speeding up.  Being that Yale got to the finish line minutes after Jody, it's not inconceivable.

You couldn't simply "copy" someone else's plane. Though we all had the same images on our planes, they were on different airplane parts. For example, on my finished plane, my propellers had Fish representing Morocco and a Helmet from Iceland, while Jess' prop had a Scale from Bahrain and a Cantene from Imire. But one of my wings had the cantene and scale, while Jess had the fish and helmet on a wing. Of course, we didn't know that while we were solving the planes.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »

You couldn't simply "copy" someone else's plane. Though we all had the same images on our planes, they were on different airplane parts. For example, on my finished plane, my propellers had Fish representing Morocco and a Helmet from Iceland, while Jess' prop had a Scale from Bahrain and a Cantene from Imire. But one of my wings had the cantene and scale, while Jess had the fish and helmet on a wing. Of course, we didn't know that while we were solving the planes.

Thanks for clarifying, Jen.

Offline ghostbusted

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »
I also appreciate the clarification. That was smart for production to do but it must have made it harder for the judge. Did he have to remember all three planes or was there a cheat sheet?

Offline boggart

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »

Thanks Jen for the clarification!!!

and i would like to take this oppportunity to thank you for making this season of TAR. You are one of my favourite contestants this season. You are so competitive!! Look forward to seeing you again in the returnee season!!!

Offline serendipity

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2018, 01:08:42 AM »

wow, it's nice to see Jen posting on this forum! I am a great fan of you and Kristi this season, you two did a great job and would be better if you won it. Please come back to All-Stars if you got invited. So sorry was not there to help you out on the Hong Kong LKF suitcase task lol

That's good to know that you all got different images on different parts, I kept thinking whether the planes are too close between one another and very easy to peek on other people's plane, though the final combination of the 12 pictures could still be the same so one could see what the other had to pass the challenge.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:37:30 AM by serendipity »

Offline serendipity

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2018, 01:19:36 AM »
The Hong Kong pitstop of TAR30 was not purely just a random street corner!  :hfive:

1. The tree at the Junction was planted by an American Country Singer John Denver in 1994  :jumpy:

Source : 
(Left) Facebook page 'Hong Kong Taste 香港原味' https://www.facebook.com/hongkongtaste01/photos/a.1129330710505804.1073741837.183787531726798/1129331093839099/?type=3&theater 
(Right) live sighting photo by @vicdemort

photo merged by Peach

Back in 1994, a large scale greening project was carried out in the Wan Chai district. Among these 1000 trees planted in the project, this was one of the the only two trees planted by a celebrity, that is an American Country Singer John Denver (the other one was no. 600 by Chris Patten, the last Governor of Hong Kong before it was returned to China).

https://www.facebook.com/hongkongtaste01/photos/a.1129330710505804.1073741837.183787531726798/1129331093839099/?type=3

2. Besides, Joshston road was also the original coastline of Wan Chai before the large scale reclamation project back in the 1920s.  :girly

They should have made the racers guess the location of  pitstop instead of using the street board to shuffle the placement more!  >:(  :'(  :drama

What a good find! In fact when I knew they visited Wanchai the day after shooting I went there and found this plate on the tree, but I think that is unlikely the clue for pitstop as no one in Wanchai would know that there is story behind this tree!! lol

Anyway I was still frustrated to know that they visited Hong Kong and I only knew it the morning after... I was at IFC that night and could easily see them at Pier 4, and I would definitely be able to help on the Lan Kwai Fong task, I couldn't believe IndyCar thought Bread Street by Gordan Ramsay could be a clue for the French leg...  :funny: :funny: :funny:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2018, 05:45:19 AM »
That's good to know that you all got different images on different parts, I kept thinking whether the planes are too close between one another and very easy to peek on other people's plane, though the final combination of the 12 pictures could still be the same so one could see what the other had to pass the challenge.
I think that's why it's really good the finish line was at the same location, so that there was no chance for someone copying another team's work, and then beating them to the finish line in a cab race.

Offline GrandmawLily

• Sho2 BB updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
The finale is great

I disagree with 1-3. With regards to 1, Cody said that he was yelling for Jessica to roll the plane because he saw Henry looking at the plane and start rushing to finish. You can't say it's not valid because you were not there and it's edited. Regarding #2, Jessica said "thank you" and Cody has that face a large majority of the time. Number 3, They never explicitly said they were unhappy right next to Yale, they just said it was hard seeing the other teams get eliminated. In fact, Yale didn't even know teams disliked them until they watched it back. You can dislike Jody, but dislike them for valid reasons lol.

Wait....are you saying Cody was yelling instructions to Jessica in the final task?? Didn't Shawn and Cedric receive a time penalty in Iceland for one of them making a comment (which, according to Phil, didn't matter WHAT was shouted) during the task?? I still haven't watched the finale....don't know if I ever will because I am not a fan of the winning team, but if Cody actually said this to Jessica during the final task, they should have received a penalty.

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2018, 01:34:59 PM »
The finale is great

Wait....are you saying Cody was yelling instructions to Jessica in the final task?? Didn't Shawn and Cedric receive a time penalty in Iceland for one of them making a comment (which, according to Phil, didn't matter WHAT was shouted) during the task?? I still haven't watched the finale....don't know if I ever will because I am not a fan of the winning team, but if Cody actually said this to Jessica during the final task, they should have received a penalty.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves lol. Jessica had already finished the task and the judge already told her to taxi the plane back to her teammate.
If you want to see the actual video, I posted one I found on youtube below. Not great quality but the vid on the official amazing race youtube just shows them running to the finish line, so.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3I8-mYb2mqE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3I8-mYb2mqE</a>
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:46:07 PM by Jro »