Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 9 & 10 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/14/18 9-11PM EST  (Read 18987 times)

Offline boggart

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR 30 EPISODE 9 & 10 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/14/18 9-11PM EST
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
Henry told us that he speaks some amount on Mandarin. He down played it since HK supposedly is more Cantonese... Not sure how much it will actually play into their race next week. I'm excited to find out!
I think knowing a bit of Mandarin is helpful enough coz quite a lot of HK ppl know Mandarin and most importantly, it means Henry may be able to read Chinese!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »
"You're embarrassing me in front of my friends!" would have been a much better title quote. :cmaslol
A couple others:

"They hit frog jackpot over there!"
"Outsmart the frog!"

An observation: I may be overlooking a situation, but in every case where a team member lost a passport than wasn’t fairly quickly recovered and or returned within a few hours has resulted in that team’s elimination.
So I am excluding the team who left their passports on the dock, but returned to retrieve them, or the Racer who dropped their passport outside of a gas station between the start line and LAX thanks to an bystander who used social media to get that passport returned in time: those were near misses.
Which team are you referring to?

I remember it was a F/F team doing a task, The Amazing Camera Crew caught it on film, but the team realized and backtracked after a subsequent task to retrieve them. But 30 seasons in, over an 17plus year period, I’d have to rewatch most of them to remember. But I think it was after 12 and before 24, but Ij could be off.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »
^^Kisha & Jen TAR 14 Bangkok

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »
"You're embarrassing me in front of my friends!" would have been a much better title quote. :cmaslol
A couple others:

"They hit frog jackpot over there!"
"Outsmart the frog!"

An observation: I may be overlooking a situation, but in every case where a team member lost a passport than wasn’t fairly quickly recovered and or returned within a few hours has resulted in that team’s elimination.
So I am excluding the team who left their passports on the dock, but returned to retrieve them, or the Racer who dropped their passport outside of a gas station between the start line and LAX thanks to an bystander who used social media to get that passport returned in time: those were near misses.
Which team are you referring to?

I remember it was a F/F team doing a task, The Amazing Camera Crew caught it on film, but the team realized and backtracked after a subsequent task to retrieve them. But 30 seasons in, over an 17plus year period, I’d have to rewatch most of them to remember. But I think it was after 12 and before 24, but Ij could be off.

The F/F that dropped their passport at a gas station in LA was Kaylani & Lisa, S.19

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »
The F/F that dropped their passport at a gas station in LA was Kaylani & Lisa, S.19
I know. This isn't what I highlighted and was asking about.

Xoruz already gave me an answer, thanks!

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2018, 02:10:23 AM »
About the retrieved travel documents in past seasons, don't forget we also had Team Fun nearly going to waste in Leg 3.

Now to the recent episode...

The pure-ARI leg was fine. There may be a lack of variety in task types when we only get a detour or only a roadblock or even having a pure-ARI leg, but it's all fine. I guess that's TAR's way of trying something new like the HtH and the Partner Swap. I would've preferred not having 3 legs in a row without roadblocks though. That was too much. We had 2 legs in a row without roadblocks in TAR25 (legs 2 and 3), then we had no roadblock again in Leg 10 during the F4. It was spread out at least. The good thing with this season is that these 3 legs of not having roadblocks are split into 2 2-hour episodes. If that wasn't the case, I'd miss the roadblocks so much. The race would've felt dry by the Bahrain leg.

The elephants task was really awesome! I think it was the fun task that took longer.

Soon... I'll just lay out an outline of my detailed comments per leg. :funny: I don't know if anyone from TAR reads the reviews, but I'm hoping that pointing out the goods and bads per leg would help TAR improve in future seasons, because TAR is my favorite show hands down. :)

Edit: Oh also, I love how TAR added classic TAR music into the Thai leg. Wonderful! I want more of those from time to time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:17:19 AM by Platrium »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »
Am I the only one who reacted to the fact that Cody & Jessica got to go shopping during the, extended, pit stop?

Jessica said she lost her sneaker after the pit stop so I guess production felt partly responsible and that's why they were allowed to do that during the pit stop. Or have I misunderstood something?

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »
Am I the only one who reacted to the fact that Cody & Jessica got to go shopping during the, extended, pit stop?

Jessica said she lost her sneaker after the pit stop so I guess production felt partly responsible and that's why they were allowed to do that during the pit stop. Or have I misunderstood something?
In the previous episode, we had a confessional from Henry & Evan after they checked into  the pit stop in Harare.
It caught my eye that they looked very glammed up, Henry was even wearing shades and had his hair done. It looked to me like they were probably all given time to walk around.

I don't remember any other confessionals where it looked like teams had had time to clean up.

Maybe Jen could clear this up?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2018, 11:30:20 AM »

In the previous episode, we had a confessional from Henry & Evan after they checked into  the pit stop in Harare.
It caught my eye that they looked very glammed up, Henry was even wearing shades and had his hair done. It looked to me like they were probably all given time to walk around.

I don't remember any other confessionals where it looked like teams had had time to clean up.

Maybe Jen could clear this up?

Hey all! Jess didn't buy her shoes during the pit stop. Jess & Cody went to buy the shoes after they ripped their clue at the start of the next leg and saw that it was a travel day. They were the last team to leave, so it wasn't going to make any difference if they went straight to the travel agency to try to get a better flight. They had to use leg money to buy the shoes. They weren't given any extra funds to do so.

As for Henry/Evan after the Harare leg, we didn't do interviews until we got back to the hotel. We did that in Morocco as well. So we had a little bit of time to "spruce up." Most of us were racing in long sleeves because of the Malaria concern, but once we were back in the city and hadn't even seen a single mosquito, a lot of us took of the extra clothes. It was so hot...
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »
Thanks Jen. I actually saw Cody (I think) holding their clue in his hands while they were on their way out of the store shoe shopping. It had already been ripped.

I'm so curious how much extra money teams had and how they skimped and saved.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
Thanks Jen. I actually saw Cody (I think) holding their clue in his hands while they were on their way out of the store shoe shopping. It had already been ripped.

I'm so curious how much extra money teams had and how they skimped and saved.

The amount of money between teams varied quite a bit. Some teams spent more money on food (Jody, Well-Strung, Indy) and others skimped and saved for taxis/emergencies (us & Ocean Rescue). Though, Brittany did buy a pillowcase in Morocco and I'm so jealous! Kristi and I didn't buy much food. We'd try to stock up as much as possible during pit stops. We spent most of our money on cabs and tipping. Didn't buy any souvenirs.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23:18 PM »
Though, Brittany did buy a pillowcase in Morocco and I'm so jealous! Kristi and I didn't buy much food. We'd try to stock up as much as possible during pit stops. We spent most of our money on cabs and tipping. Didn't buy any souvenirs.

Well, at least you got a nice "Home video" of your "vacation" ;)

I have noticed that you often took the bus to the airport instead of taxis, I assume this was to save money. I wonder if you need to use your leg money to buy the tickets for the camera & sound crew traveling with you as well?