Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 9 & 10 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/14/18 9-11PM EST  (Read 19040 times)

Offline SuzieTampa

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR 30 EPISODE 9 & 10 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/14/18 9-11PM EST
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
I really like all of the contestants except Jessica, who is the epitome of the female contestant I despise. She acts like this mean princess, and she seems fairly worthless. I realize Evan is getting a villain edit, but she and Henry work well as a team -- and a good team. 

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »
I'm not gonna read through to much here because I don't want to see any previews for the finale! Want to go in fully surprised. But I'll give my take on this episode.

I think this was one of the best episodes of the entire season, if not the best. I found the first half strange not having a detour or roadblock, but I still think it worked out. The timber one was decent. The pottery one was great; I thought it was would cause huge problems because it seemed like a difficult task but the strengths of the teams only lead to it shuffling spots around a bit. The third task, meh, it was a mini switchback in practice to season 12 in Burkina Faso but it didn't play out as so because there wasn't as strict rules, and I wish they had done it again, but honestly would've preferred a different task that wasn't so similar to another task that they'd done before, especially in a brand new country. The self drive really made this episode too, it was like season 10 in Kuwait all over again. The passport debacle really shook up the episode and I'm just impressed that they were able to get Lucas a passport so fast, and though I wasn't a fan of them really, it really broke my heart at the mat when Lucas was beating himself up over it.

The second half was pretty good. Was hoping for more variety of flights, which is really what this season lacks, and the Yale ordeal in the airport gave me hopes for that which left me unsatisfied. But the episode picked up. The detours were surprisingly incredible. From first look at the detours, the frog seemed like the WAY harder, one but it proved to be the easier one, especially once the teams figured out where the frogs were hiding, and then Yale getting stuck with the math. The eating challenge is something it seems, as a collective from what I've seen, a task RFF has been waiting for (although we were looking for that in Cambodia, specifically Siem Reap, but to be honest, I was just there a month ago, and there's not much in Siem Reap that they haven't done except for something to do with the Pub Street. But this is irrelevant!) It seemed a bit easy, but given what the roadblock was, I couldn't see how they could've made it harder except adding in more food.

Overall, really good episode. Looking forward to the finale!

I also like to avoid previews.

I like that there's been plenty of self-navigation this season.  The tasks were ok, I think Yale and BB are the most memorable of those left.  Not much suspense in these legs because of losing the documents and I knew there were two more legs so it was likely that second of these legs was a non-elimination.  Though I was happy Yale survived.  The problem Yale had was the initial measurements were wrong somewhere.  Animal heavy episodes for sure.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2018, 03:03:15 PM »
Leg 9

Weird seeing a leg that was just ARIs.

Loved the self-driving which pretty much equalized the competing teams & loved the variety of task.

We got a lot of references to past seasons.

Jessica & Cody channeling their inner Dandrew with the shoes.
Passport drama
Wood delivery for dhows like TAR 11 Zanzibar
Of course, Lorena & the camel, didn't get a similar meltdown.

Timber: Liked opening with a physically demanding task in the hot sun. Thankfully no heat exhaustion.
Halwa: Navigation plus a cryptic clue. Was OK.
Pottery: Needle in a haystack combined with attention to detail. Enjoyed this task.
Milk: No Lorena style meltdown but still a decent task.
Show content
Wish we could have seen the walk the plank task.

Some suspense was lost with Lucas losing his passport, but we still got a pretty decent competition among the four teams.

4/5

Leg 10

Nice to see Chiang Mai finally get a full leg.
Show content
Interesting to see how HaMerotz LaMillion will compare.

Garland: Simple, nice to see a location from TARA 3.
Elephant: Liked that we had restless elephants and that hindered measurements.
Frog: Loved this. Was laughing the entire time.
Scorpion: Liked that similar to the trebuchet task the non-participating member was tortured. Teams finished the same order they arrived, so that wasn't great.

The Detour was enjoyable but the second half of the leg was pretty much known as soon as they finished it.

3/5

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 05:18:15 PM »
"You're embarrassing me in front of my friends!" would have been a much better title quote. :cmaslol

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2018, 07:26:57 PM »
Leg 9 is basically HaMerotz LaMillion (TAR Israel)-style leg with no Detour, Roadblock, just ARI-filled leg, right?
Concidentally people with Israeli passport can't visit to most Arab countries including Bahrain!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
An observation: I may be overlooking a situation, but in every case where a team member lost a passport than wasn’t fairly quickly recovered and or returned within a few hours has resulted in that team’s elimination.
So I am excluding the team who left their passports on the dock, but returned to retrieve them, or the Racer who dropped their passport outside of a gas station between the start line and LAX thanks to an bystander who used social media to get that passport returned in time: those were near misses.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2018, 08:41:18 PM »
I liked the legs a lot! I'm surprised the pottery task wasn't a roadblock though

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
Just realized...

Notice something missing this season? No Express Pass. For the first time since Season 17 brought it in.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2018, 09:08:36 PM »
"You're embarrassing me in front of my friends!" would have been a much better title quote. :cmaslol
A couple others:

"They hit frog jackpot over there!"
"Outsmart the frog!"

An observation: I may be overlooking a situation, but in every case where a team member lost a passport than wasn’t fairly quickly recovered and or returned within a few hours has resulted in that team’s elimination.
So I am excluding the team who left their passports on the dock, but returned to retrieve them, or the Racer who dropped their passport outside of a gas station between the start line and LAX thanks to an bystander who used social media to get that passport returned in time: those were near misses.
Which team are you referring to?

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:23 PM »
I have no idea why the people on this forum are being so negative after each episode ends, but I'm seriously in love with this season!
I loved S29, but this season is even better, and probably in my personal top 5 seasons of all time. The cast is amazing, especially the top 5, and there was no team that I hated or actively rooted against (expect maybe the twins, but I just found them boring and preferred other teams over them, though I did not dislike them).

These two episodes felt really suspenseful to me. And that says a lot, because I was spoiled, so I knew Lifeguards were getting eliminated (and then them losing passports didn't help), with Yale getting NEL'd in Thailand. However, the editing was great and every task either provided entertainment to the viewer, or proved difficult and frustrating to the teams. We had many placement shifts, many near-meltdowns and it kept me on edge, waiting to see what everyone's final placements would be.

I also had absolutely no problem with Bahrain being all ARIs?? Why is it a must to have a detour & a roadblock if the leg is difficult and fun anyway? Seriously don't get the amount of criticism for that. The only thing I might've changed was the camel task - make it longer in some way, so that there are more possibilities for teams to catch up/fall behind. But the amount of self-driving was amazing, and without it, this leg would probably feel flat! All in all, it was an amazing first visit to Bahrain. Haven't seen/heard much about the country before, but I'm very intrigued now. Seriously wouldn't mind another visit there in the near future instead of a 5th visit to UAE as a Middle East connector.

Thailand was even better! My favorite leg in the country ever, for sure. I liked that they included the little task to look for ladies with the next clue, instead of just placing a cluebox in the middle of the sight. A nice little touch, and it wasn't inconsequential.

The detour was reaaally good. It seemed like elephants was a way easier task, but in actuality it was just as hard as the frogs. Both tasks were entertaining, fun, and at the same time difficult. Funny how Cody caught all 20 frogs for their team. :cmaslol And I also enjoyed that Yale struggled at their detour so much, although it seemed to be their forte.

All the navigation between tasks was amazing, too, and I liked that the language barrier made teams frustrated. Again, the one thing I would maybe change is the Roadblock, by making it more difficult, because the way it was done seemed linear, although fun and entertaining. I would probably reduce the amount of food the roadblock performers have to eat, and make them answer some kind of questions (preferrably about Thai cuisine/delicacies, or Thailand in general), so that there is a chance for them to fail the task and have to repeat eating the plate until all of the questions are answered correctly. I don't know if I would've tortured their teammates with scorpions on their bodies for much longer, though, but some kind of possibility for them to have to redo the task would have been nice. ;D

But generally, both really solid episodes! Can't wait to watch S31 unspoiled. :P

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »
TBH, Leg 9 just ruined the season for me.

Actually not a fan of TAR30, but that's for another thread! :)

Offline boggart

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »
i am not sure if anyone of you has the same idea as me... the edit for team yale has become so negative in the last few legs....
although i root for them, it seem that they are not going to the finale based on the edit...

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2018, 11:57:35 PM »
I find their edit a bit strange.
The producers went out of their way to portray them negatively, and I don't get why. If they were edited as the villains of the race, then it would make sense, but right now we're just getting lots of negativity from their interactions with each other, but that shouldn't be presented as an explanation why the other teams don't like them as much.

I just don't see why the negative points have to be highlighted so much, especially since they work great together.

Offline boggart

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2018, 01:55:00 AM »
I find their edit a bit strange.
The producers went out of their way to portray them negatively, and I don't get why. If they were edited as the villains of the race, then it would make sense, but right now we're just getting lots of negativity from their interactions with each other, but that shouldn't be presented as an explanation why the other teams don't like them as much.

I just don't see why the negative points have to be highlighted so much, especially since they work great together.

Exactly what i think too

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2018, 04:09:53 AM »
I think Cody/Jessica seem to have had a worse edit.  The Yale edit is partly poking fun at them but also making out they are an underdog team who others don't apparently respect.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2018, 04:13:18 AM »
Just realized...

Notice something missing this season? No Express Pass. For the first time since Season 17 brought it in.

Yes I noticed that and I don't miss it (and I miss even less the 2 express pass twist).  Also has there been a fast forward, not that I remember.  So maybe there's been a more natural race, apart from the u-turns.  Less emphasis on alliances maybe.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2018, 04:52:23 AM »
Well, don't know why some people hated a leg just because it's an ARI-filled leg, which HaMerotz LaMillion seems to do that just fine.

Anyway, contestants on HaMerotz LaMillion had to do some ridiculous tasks, like eating a cake's raw ingredients, or shooting mango chutney from Nerf guns into body-size chutes, or carrying dulce de leche by hand across the world's widest avenue, or even one of the many numerous ridiculous Face-Off on this show (such as doing the Walk-Off or the La Tomatina redux or the chocolate vat or life-sized Pac-Man with a cat and a mouse)
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline boggart

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2018, 05:51:07 AM »
Does anyone know Henry knows Chinese?
If he knows Chinese, team Yale will have a hugh advantage over other teams, given that next leg will be in HK@@

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
Henry told us that he speaks some amount on Mandarin. He down played it since HK supposedly is more Cantonese... Not sure how much it will actually play into their race next week. I'm excited to find out!
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »
I think Cody/Jessica seem to have had a worse edit.  The Yale edit is partly poking fun at them but also making out they are an underdog team who others don't apparently respect.
Evan has been edited negatively each episode for the second part of the season though. And I don't think that's necessary.

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
I don't think anything anyone has done has been bad this season. I think because these are very competitive teams, there's been low drama, so ANY little thing that's been an issue seems to have been shown.

They're using the little they've got to create personal drama.

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
I really like this season so far!
Tbh I like all the teams left on the F4 and I don't know for who I am rooting for at all... They are all so competitive and strong!

The edit is way better this season than the last one, and I loved those two final legs, although it's not nice to see someone being eliminated by a passport lost...
Oh, and I hated that there were no RB or Detour in Bahrein, I think the Pott's task could have been a RB.

Next week looks awesome, and it's sad that the season is over already, they should return to the normal schedule. ^^''
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

CocoNuts

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
Honestly, I am so sad that they only had two head to heads early in the season. I think that there should have been a head to head in Bahrain!!! It's not necesarrily the number of head to heads, it's the placement. Why Leg-2 and 4?? Why not Leg 2 and 8 or 9??

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2018, 02:16:53 PM »
It's enough that we all hated the head-to-heads in general, but putting them on a leg with very few teams remaining would be the worst idea ever :groan: At least for the way they were placed this season.
It's basically like cancelling the leg for the last two teams, and making a single, more or less luck-based challenge decide who makes the F4.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »
It's enough that we all hated the head-to-heads in general, but putting them on a leg with very few teams remaining would be the worst idea ever :groan: At least for the way they were placed this season.
It's basically like cancelling the leg for the last two teams, and making a single, more or less luck-based challenge decide who makes the F4.

Yes, definitely don't. That's what Canada does every time, and every time it's predictably been the weakest of the 4 that it kept out of final 3.