Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 9 & 10 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/14/18 9-11PM EST  (Read 19031 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Re: TAR 30 EPISODE 9 & 10 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/14/18 9-11PM EST
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »
Kristi & Jen, out of breath, read their clue. Alex & Conor quickly find the lady.

DETOUR: Size It or Seize It
In Size It, teams must measure and weigh elephants while a baby elephant distracts them. In Seize It, teams must catch 20 bullfrogs in a rice paddy to receive their next clue.

Cody & Jessica cant find her while Henry & Evan find a lady over skiiers and BB. They move up to 2nd place. Indy are going to the bullfrog Detour. Kristi & Jen find the lady and head to elephants. Meanwhile, Cody & Jessica are lost between tourists.

Commercials.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
We return with Cody & Jessica missing the clue woman. They finally locate her, also out of breath. They choose the bullfrogs task.
Kristi & Jen are snacking and bickering about committing to a choice. They treat each other like sisters and always work hard to agree. Henry & Evan say calculations are more up their alley than chasing frogs, despite remembering the leg 2 diamond appraisal Detour as a nightmare. Kristi & Jen switch instincts and continue frogs. Unfortunately, skiiers' songthaw stops and a chain reaction happens with Henry & Evan's songthaw pausing as well. :lol:

Alex & Conor arrive at the paddy and wallowing in the mud. Cody & Jessica finally arrive. One of the kids remind Cody of his daughter and reveal he failed to get the money from BB, but plan on making things right if they win the race. Henry & Evan are stuck right behind Kristi & Jen, but Yale proceeds to move ahead of them saying they are wasting their time.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 09:20:56 PM »
Kristi & Jen can't see a single frog and decide to switch tasks. Jessica & Cody also are starting to believe Frog Lake is empty.
Meanwhile, Henry & Evan arrive at the elephants. They are in AWE! They meet Manoi the elephant and are told by the sanctuary worker how to be friendly with the elephants by saying "bon" and feeding the elephants to become friendly with them. They also pet them for comfort. Time for the chart! Accurate nutrition measurements fuel their interest in this task even more. They must climb up and around the elephants to get these correct numbers.

And Manoi does not want to cooperate.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
Cody & Jessica start catching A frog while Alex & Conor begin jumping for them. Jessica is freaked out by their slipperiness. Alex & Conor's frogs are slipping. Meanwhile, Henry & Evan's Manoi is still not having it with them. They have some bad luck lately with animals. :lol:

Kristi & Jen are officially lost and pass the sanctuary.

Yale finally measures one part of Manoi while Kristi & Jen arrive, starstruck at these adorable mammals! Both of them are neck and neck.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 09:24:51 PM »
Alex is impressed how Cody gets down on all fours to catch these buggers. And the Indy drivers feel they are too "pretty" for this. They feel intimidated.

Commercials.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
We come back as Alex & Conor refuse to get down and dirty for this task. "Get back here, Kermit!" :lol:
Conor finally catches ONE frog in the meantime Cody finds 12 frogs. Jessica can't catch any. Indy feels the kids watching them actually helped them motivate their continuation of this task over the elephants.

Speaking of elephants, Evan almost falls off Manoi as they finish up the measurable numbers. They start calculating weight and height. Kristi & Jen are on top of the elephant and on their tail. Henry & Evan get their answers checked and are incorrect. Henry believes their math was correct, but Evan is skeptical.

Alex & Conor start catching more with a frog jackpot. Meanwhile, Jessica wants Cody's help to catch these bullfrogs.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 09:36:09 PM »
Kristi & Jen stumble upon a baby elephant and are caught off guard. Meanwhile, Henry & Evan head back to measure the elephant. Kristi & Jen are also incorrect with their measurement. Yale are stuck.

Kristi & Jen get their work checked and must take their elephant across a trail to their next clue. "This is the BEST THING!" They can't believe they beat the debate team.

Alex & Conor and Cody & Jessica are neck and neck with these frogs. They move up to first place. Teams must make their way to Original Khantoke Restaurant!

Alex & Conor move up to 2nd place.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
Evan is evidently pissed as Henry mis-records information. Kristi & Jen arrive at the baskets of fruit to feed the elephants. And Yale is still INCORRECT with their answer. Kristi & Jen leave the Detour in 3rd place.

Evan & Henry find this embarrassing and finally find the correct answer. Kristi & Jen are already in a taxi to the restaurant while Henry & Evan get on their elephant along the trail.

Big Brother and Indy are neck and neck to the restaurant.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 09:41:21 PM »
Yale get their clue in last place and quickly head off after giving bananas to the elephants.

Alex & Conor get to the restaurant in 1st.
ROADBLOCK: Thai Something New
One team member must eat three scorpions and a grilled bullfrog to receive their next clue. Kicker: their teammate will have live scorpions crawling on their body.

Alex & Conor are tortured with scorpions. It feels like the Terminator is on Conor's chest. Cody & Jessica arrive next and are impressed with the atmosphere. Jessica is freaking out over the live scorpions while Cody chooses to do the Roadblock.

Jessica is officially traumatized!
Commercials.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 09:48:57 PM »
We return with a scorned Jessica in agony over alive scorpions. She says Cody was her knight in shining armor trying to save her from these overrated lobsters.

Alex & Conor finish the scorpions and eats the  bullfrog. Meanwhile, Jessica is in seeming pain...

Kristi & Jen and Henry & Evan are neck and neck for last at this point.

Conor & Alex receive their clue. Make your way to the next Pit Stop!
Teams must make their way to Wat Chedi Luang. Last team to check in may be eliminated! So not?
Jessica is crying and wants these scorpions gone fast as Cody finishes the task in 2nd place.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 09:50:10 PM »
Have yet to watch, but sounds like this Roadblock's going to be kinda like watching that TAR Canada Roadblock again from last summer where the other partner had cockroaches crawling all over their head. That was Fear Factor-level stuff.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
Kristi & Jen arrive at the Khantoke in 3rd place. Now Kristi has scorpions all over her. She warns Jen to finish the meal quickly.
Cody & Jessica and Alex & Conor are racing for that 1st place!
The skiiers are in discomfort with the Roadblock as Jen finds out she must eat more while Kristi is freaked out about these scorpions.

Cody & Jess and Alex & Conor falls into some traffic. Meanwhile, Kristi & Jen finish the roadblock in 3rd and head off to Wat Chedi Luang.

Henry & Evan arrive at the Roadblock in 4th and Evan feels like she will :barf !

Indy and BB arrive at the wat. It's "not" a foot race because of no running rules on the complex. Alex & Conor arrive at the Pit Stop in 1ST PLACE, right before Cody & Jessica in 2ND PLACE. The Indy drivers win a trip for two to Curacao!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 09:57:19 PM »
Jessica is mesmerized by Cody despite performing nothing throughout this leg. She finally admits a truth.
Henry & Evan get their clue in last place, and Kristi & Jen are lost with another taxi driver. It's a taxi race, yall!.....

And... Kristi & Jen arrive in 3RD PLACE! They are proud of beating the Yale graduates in math. They hope Yale are lost.

Meanwhile, Henry & Evan arrive at the Pit Stop in last place, HOWEVER, this is a non-elimination Leg and must perform a Speed Bump in the following leg. Blah blah blah regulations by Phil.

They feel underestimated, but are ready to take on the penultimate leg to eliminated the last team.

Montage of teams and confidence!

STAY TUNED FOR SCENES FROM OUR SEASON FINALE!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »
Next week on the season finale of TAR, four teams.... "smash, bam, ouch"... two cities... Phil's speech of a team winning the $1 million with clips of Hong Kong and the finale!

So what did everyone think of tonight's double leg episode? I know everyone has select words for the Bahrain Leg with absolutely zero mention of a Detour and a Roadblock.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »
WHERE DID OUR SHIP GO?? :groan:

Wanted to see Kristi's Olympic dive!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:07:18 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »
Umm, what was Leg 9??? WORST. LEG. EVER

What happened to that cricket task we were 'speculating'? Maybe the producers realised it's not a cricket playing nation, lol.

Sad about Lucas and Brittany's elimination! But, always remember you passports and travel documents on the race!

Rachel, you have been AMAZING all season with your updates, so  :thankyou:!!!

Offline TARmap

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »
Leg 9 was OK but, correct me if I'm wrong, were all the tasks ARI? It seems like the diving task would have been a roadblock, and that would have been great to see!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 11:43:17 PM »
Leg 9 is basically HaMerotz LaMillion (TAR Israel)-style leg with no Detour, Roadblock, just ARI-filled leg, right?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 11:45:50 PM »
Leg 9 is basically HaMerotz LaMillion (TAR Israel)-style leg with no Detour, Roadblock, just ARI-filled leg, right?

Yeah. Except without 3x the Route Markers, lol.

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 01:20:22 AM »
Let me start off by saying that I enjoyed these two episodes. Let me start off with Bahrain. I did like how this episode was just ARI's, it felt really fresh. I did like teams getting lost and all the tasks. I can't think of anything bad to say about this half other than the very sad elimination. I also liked how this new country was in the Middle East. The pit stop location was also good how it was just a tree in the middle of the desert. Now onto the second half.

I did like how they returned to Chiang Mai, Thailand long after it's previous visit in TAR 2. I thought the elephant measuring detour could've been designed better, like why not clean certain number of elephants ore fed them. I did like the bullfrog side better. The roadblock was OK, they should've eaten more food, or more disgusting food, like a five course meal. I did like the "footrace" to the pit stop because of the religious site they were at.

First Half: 5/5 Great new country visit, and great tasks.
Second Half 4/5 Although some of the tasks could've been better the teams made up for it.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2018, 01:27:04 AM »
I'm not gonna read through to much here because I don't want to see any previews for the finale! Want to go in fully surprised. But I'll give my take on this episode.

I think this was one of the best episodes of the entire season, if not the best. I found the first half strange not having a detour or roadblock, but I still think it worked out. The timber one was decent. The pottery one was great; I thought it was would cause huge problems because it seemed like a difficult task but the strengths of the teams only lead to it shuffling spots around a bit. The third task, meh, it was a mini switchback in practice to season 12 in Burkina Faso but it didn't play out as so because there wasn't as strict rules, and I wish they had done it again, but honestly would've preferred a different task that wasn't so similar to another task that they'd done before, especially in a brand new country. The self drive really made this episode too, it was like season 10 in Kuwait all over again. The passport debacle really shook up the episode and I'm just impressed that they were able to get Lucas a passport so fast, and though I wasn't a fan of them really, it really broke my heart at the mat when Lucas was beating himself up over it.

The second half was pretty good. Was hoping for more variety of flights, which is really what this season lacks, and the Yale ordeal in the airport gave me hopes for that which left me unsatisfied. But the episode picked up. The detours were surprisingly incredible. From first look at the detours, the frog seemed like the WAY harder, one but it proved to be the easier one, especially once the teams figured out where the frogs were hiding, and then Yale getting stuck with the math. The eating challenge is something it seems, as a collective from what I've seen, a task RFF has been waiting for (although we were looking for that in Cambodia, specifically Siem Reap, but to be honest, I was just there a month ago, and there's not much in Siem Reap that they haven't done except for something to do with the Pub Street. But this is irrelevant!) It seemed a bit easy, but given what the roadblock was, I couldn't see how they could've made it harder except adding in more food.

Overall, really good episode. Looking forward to the finale!

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 01:28:43 AM »

Yeah. Except without 3x the Route Markers, lol.
Never thought that Indy would be the first team to score 3 leg wins this seasok  :didimiss:

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 02:02:25 AM »
WHERE DID OUR SHIP GO?? :groan:

Wanted to see Kristi's Olympic dive!

So we missed out one roadblock from the episode?
This hasn't been done ages since all-stars 1!

However, this may contribute to the mess in roadblock count, especially in explaing why Evan decided to eat the scorpions

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2018, 05:16:49 AM »
Glad that RBs are back. After Leg 9, I was almost ready to post a Missing Poster for RB tasks.

Did enjoy the legs, despite being cringed out by some of the tasks.
Might elaborate more later.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
The plank task was not a road block. Every task in Bahrain was ARI.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho