Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 7 & 8 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/7/18 9-11PM EST  (Read 14307 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Re: TAR 30 EPISODE 7 & 8 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 2/7/18 9-11PM EST
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
Kristi bitches at Jen for blabbering to Evan about the location of the tire shop. Jen regrets not catching herself after Evan did not help them with the Detour.

Alex & Conor reach the truck and roll tires in. They don't get their next clue because they roll it into some stranger's truck. :lol:

Evan & Henry finish the tires and move onto the mall task. Cody & Jessica can't find their locations with every single one of their packages.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 09:17:42 PM »
Jessica is tired and aren't shaken by Eric & Daniel because the firefighter twins aren't U-Turned. They are in slight panic.
Commercials.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 09:24:48 PM »
We return with Cody & Jessica running up and down the stairs and deliver their final package. Eric & Daniel deliver their second to last package while Henry & Evan catch up. Yale decides to ask firefighters for directions to some package locations. They are trying to beat Cody & Jessica.

Kristi & Jen arrive at the gardens and find the clue box.
ROUTE INFO: Get down to Zimbabwe!
Teams must learn a popular song in Zimbabwe where they will be judged on pronunciation of a certain Zimbabwean language and showmanship!

Lucas & Brittany meet Leslie the instructor at the sing-dance task.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 09:27:07 PM »
Alex & Conor finish the tire task in 3rd and feel stupid, "as usual". Cody & Jessica ask the Indy drivers the tire location. What's with all this inter-team helping?! >:( Meanwhile, Evan & Henry are shocked with how many packages they are delivering.

Kristi & Jen want to do their first attempt at the task. Alex & Conor arrive and complain how anything rhythm is "Dandrew" for them.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »
Kristi & Jen start singing to the humiliation of the local teenagers. Alex & Conor are learning while Eric & Daniel immediately see this as terrible. Lucas & Brittany start singing and are laughed at with sarcastic claps.

Jessica & Cody roll their tires and claim it took a toll on their energy.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »
Henry & Evan deliver their last package and are on their way to the gardens, as well as Cody & Jessica who just delivered their tires. Yale hopes there is another task to have a certain chance.

All teams failing miserably at the singing and dance. Time for Alex & Conor to humiliate themselves! :clap2:

None of the teams are keeping to the pace of the music and body can't fit with the music. I can see this becoming a TAR classic.

Commercials.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:34 PM »
We come back to the concert-gone-wrong with Kristi & Jen shaking their hips and rambling with their lips. They don't understand what they are doing wrong. Instructor reveals their pacing is off. Meanwhile, Henry & Evan and Cody & Jessica arrive. It's a race for the least mistakes!

Henry & Evan got the pronunciation down to a tee due to their experience learning languages while Jessica tries to zone in on the language.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 09:41:37 PM »
Eric & Daniel take their first attempt as the lead singer is laughing and locals are laughing in catastrophe. Who's next?

Lucas & Brittany on attempt number five! Decent-er sounds come out of their mouths while cheering locals. They are doing both things right! A team finally gets through this task with a small applause from that one guy in red and a filming local.

ROUTE INFo: Teams must travel to First Street Pedestrian Mall, the Pit Stop! Last team to check in here may be eliminated.

Kristi & Jen finally get the pace down and get their next clue! Joy comes from the instructor!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:39 PM »
Lucas & Brittany arrive at the Pit Stop in 1ST PLACE! They win a trip for two from Travelocity to St. Lucia! "Double honeymoon, here we come!"

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
Phil comments on the U-Turn escapade with Brittany confessing love is the wedding and war is the race. Meanwhile, Kristi & Jen arrive at the Pit Stop IN 2ND. Both are eating random chocolate crunch ice cream cones that appeared out of nowhere...

Henry & Evan are humiliated while Alex & Conor get their energy right to the fanaticism of the locals. Cody & Jessica felt they should have passed with glee. "It was F for failure." Jess realizes Cody was offbeat and quickly run off stage. Alex & Conor on their 3rd attempt and are impressed, like a Motley Crue concert. They receive their next clue and Conor almost threw the mic in pure enthusiasm.

Henry & Evan take their 2nd attempt while Jessica feels Cody is not ready for this task. Alex & Conor feel groovy and recount Alex's "greatest accomplishments". This is cheesy.

Cody is offbeat and sounds like a dying pigeon. They go back to sing again while Cody is giving up. Eric & Daniel are up and performing while Jessica is a bit frustrated with Cody's adamant thought process.

Commercials.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »
Eric & Daniel are performing while Cody doesn't want to rehearse any longer. The twins don't get it right and go back to practice.

Alex & Conor arrive at the PS in 3RD PLACE and Henry & Evan arrive in 4TH PLACE. Tensions fire up while Alex & Conor demonstrate that Henry & Evan standing next to them signify their strength on the race. Evan seems pissed at the Indy racers.

Meanwhile, Jessica, happily singing, and Cody, unenthusiastically reciting, get their next clue after doing a little jig. They leave the gardens in 5th. Eric & Daniel perform immediately after them and get their next clue as Big Brother run to the Pit Stop. Firefighters on their tail. It's a foot race!

And Cody & Jessica arrive at the Pit Stop in 5TH PLACE! Barely making it. They were determined and made it the mat, as spectated by everyone. Eric & Daniel arrive in LAST PLACE and are eliminated from the race.

"We didn't have the rhythm and now we got the blues." They recall their experience was amazing and enjoyed each other's company.

Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 10:00:30 PM »
Next week on a 2 hour episode of TAR, Henry & Evan heat up! While Cody & Jessica get their hands dirty. While one team faces a catastrophe. "One rule is to always have your passport with you..."

So, thoughts, concerns, comments, or creative judgments on tonight's double-length episode?

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »
I think this was the worst episode of the season thus far. The whole switching teams bit turned out to be really boring and didn't make the race interesting, they should've just brought back the intersection and replaced it with that because it essentially gave the same results. Didn't like how both legs had no roadblock, only a U-Turn, and they could've easily made the second task in the second leg a roadblock. Sad about the results, I think that the Twins were the classiest team this season and appear to be the one team that needed the money so it's sad to see them get eliminated. Not sure how I feel about the U-Turn. Second time in Amazing Race history that the two teams u-turned survived, but just like last time, I felt the U-Turn to be pointless in the end, but I think that kills the argument that putting the U-Turn before the detour makes it a KO. Liked the singing task, and I kind of liked the mall task, but other than that, I think the tasks were too easy/boring. As I said before, worst episode of the season. Here's hoping that next week is better.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2018, 11:26:36 PM »
OMG, I TOTALLY forgot today was TAR Day!  :nono2:

That twist was er no good. I had high hopes for it, but it flopped.

And next week, WHO LOSES THEIR PASSPORT???

The Twins going... meh, I think they were boring...

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 12:12:00 AM »
I think that if you consider this two episodes as one long leg with two Detours, 1 Intersection-alike and 1 Double U-turn, it will be easier to enjoy.

Offline Joberio

• RFF Sr. Member
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY & MAYA, WINNERS OF TAR25!
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2018, 12:46:30 AM »
The Twins going... meh, I think they were boring...
They were also the weakest team.  The only one not to win a leg.  So it was just as well they go now.

And now that they're gone . . . now we have a race!

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 01:19:43 AM »
I'll start off talking about the new twist. I honestly thought it was OK, it had a lot of potential, but the Partner-Swap should have been used for more than a detour. Although it did get confusing as of which team is which. I liked the Detour, but it took too much time of the episode. Although the only thing in the episode the Detour was good. I liked how they saw the wildlife of Savannah along with the Detour. Onto the next part.

The second half was better than the first half to be honest. I still do hate the U-Turn before the Detour though. This Detour was better than the first half. We need more tasks like the tire rolling task, a simple and culturally relevant task. The mall task was honestly dumb and could have been replaced with another task. The singing task was THE highlight of this episode, one of the best tasks I've seen this season, not as good as the gnome one, but still up there.

First Half 2/5 Wasted potential with the new twist and was bare-bones
Second Half 4/5 The tire rolling and singing tasks were great, but is brought down one rating due to dumb mall task and U-Turn placement.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 01:29:07 AM »
While I would have put a roadblock on the Harare leg, having it in the partner swap would have been one of the dumbest ideas ever.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 03:52:09 AM »
Did enjoy the legs, but like most of the season has been, many quibbles.

- Partner-Swap
What? No traveling or driving terminology to name this? This and their take on the Face-Off, with the Head-to-Head (HATE THAT NAME) a very weak season on naming things.
I was correct back on spec, on assuming they'd need odd number of team, as it turned out it was mostly modified version from the intersections. It wasn't random swapping, which would allow swaps between a even number of teams, as it was nothing more than two teams combining and swapping partners among themselves, it was very intersection-ish.
The result was not that exciting, other than highlighting the weakness of certain racers. Feels like some left-over pitch from TAR29, where that would have been very intriguing, as the racers actually started as individuals.

Considering how teams kinda collaborated on the 1st section of the swap, then with how the detours were structured and way the tasks were split, and teams having to wait at Pit Stop to be checked-in, it could just as well been an official Intersection with a double Roadblock.

Double U-turn
As a game power, I always liked the U-turn. And, after last week I probably spent too much time thinking about this topic.
Using a Uturn to try to get a strong team out, to help yourself have a better cushion during the leg, or even to help out an alliance, are all good reasons IMHO.
I understand the intention of placing the U-Turn board before the tasks (still prefer after task completion), but in both occasions this season, both lacked the randomness that a airport equalizer or a HOO would provide to justify it. In Prague, the major issue was teams being split in two flights, this latest iteration despite being better, as teams did finish leg 7 with little time difference, the randomness is mostly removed, as with the partner swap, made it that 1st two teams to check-in were also bound to reach the board first, considering that transport from the reserve, into Harare was provided by production, not just some random taxi that racers hailed out from the street.

I did appreciate that this leg design did show that even with a Double U-Turn, that a decently hard RB set after the Detour, does make it survivable for both teams that were Uturned.

Really enjoyed Evan competitiveness, but was a bit annoyed that editors seems to try to portray it as a negative thing.  Curious about where certain teams interviews were filmed, seems some of them were not filmed in Zimbabwe. And loved having Yale at the mat with Indy.

Curious if the US version would ever consider using the voting U-Turn, that exists in certain international versions, if their intention is to insert more social game to the race. They could have the board before tasks for teams to vote, and teams would have to return to board after completing one side of the detour, to learn who got u-turned.

Being aware of things from upcoming legs, does make the the "passport loss" tease a bit anti-climatic and the result more understandable, however, it could be distraction as well, considering how they also teased Team Fun passport drama last season.

BTW, thanks Peach for updating my post over the Live Stream thread. The episode ended so late for me, that once next week's promo aired, I just shut down my laptop, and rushed bed for a short sleep before I had to head out for work.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 03:55:10 AM »
Well that twist fell flat. Random partners would've been much more fun and dramatic, especially with teams needing to wait at the Mat to reunite with their partners before officially checking in.

And being a Keep Racing Leg with no Speed Bump or penalty basically made the swap inconsequential to the Race and was quite literally a mere gimmick that added nothing. It's a wonder they were able to fill a whole episode with basically just a Detour. Simply an hour-long commercial for the beautiful conservatory.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 04:19:47 AM »
Here's the song, by the way, in case you weren't completely sick of it :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzAhRrKa5wU

Pasi Pano Pane Zviedzo by The Four Brothers, who were apparently one of Zimbabwe's most famous bands.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 06:00:11 AM »
Episode 7 & 8 were both strong .

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
I don't know why people are complaining ! Both of these legs went great.

Leg 7:
#ZIMBABWAY:
Kinda disappointed that they chose a country they visited 3 seasons ago, but this was actually a pretty leg. I quite frankly enjoyed the views and I don't have any issues, except for the fact that teams would have been exhausted by the time they'd cover the leg. Imagine traveling on a 17 hour flight across a continent, varying time zones, different climates, and then landing and traveling by road to your next destination. Sounds cumbersome. 

Intersection?:
As someone else pointed out, they really need better naming conventions for new tasks and twists. But I'm not complaining. I was really looking forward to seeing an intersection, so I guess the intersection found a way into this leg.
Did I hate the partner swap? Not really. There was not that big of a deal with it anyways, so it was good I guess. What I do wish for is that the race would have forced teams together, it would have been more dramatic and funny.

A view to admire or Be stuck in a Quagmire:
A well balanced detour which literally divided between the brains and brawn. If you chose the smarter side you got these picturesque and gorgeous views and just pay minor attention to detail, and then panic when you really had to put in your knowledge (*cough* Kristi and Jessica). If you chose the rougher side you had to struggle, I mean struggle. While their partners had a tough time solving their side of the detour, Cody and Jen aced theirs. The other 2 composite teams... not so much. It was funny at one point when Conor was panicking ("My life is a mud pit I'm stuck in") and all in all the chaos was beautiful.

PIT-STOP AND WINNERS AND LOSERS:
WINNER: Brittany and Alex
Practically the only team that worked in complete harmony were this duo. They worked hand in hand, and they even had a fun time doing it. In addition to this the other half of their teams also checked in early and they secured 1st.

LOSER: Cody and Jen
They rocked this leg to the core and even came in 1st, but couldn't take the place on the mat due to their other teammates. It really wasn't Kristi's strength to solve puzzles, but Jessica flopped it.

LOSER: Kristi and Jessica
They came in LAST. Jessica has a newfound enemy of Evan who she even threatened to punch. They got so distracted by the views that they messed up the order and missed the entire crux of the detour. It kinda reminded me of Jazmine and Danielle from s27. But still, Kristi and Jessica worked in harmony, contrary to what I had thought.

LOSER: Eric and Henry
Don't you just hate it when you get stuck in a mud bog? Not relatable? Unfortunately enough, these 2 were badly stuck in the middle of the pit, and both Henry and Eric had to work together to free the car. They worked out fine as a team but the mud-pit really deemed itself to be an impediment to them.  [Is it just me or did anyone else find it sexist when Eric said "It's good that Evan is doing that challenge, seems more suited to the female mind" ? Maybe I'm just getting offended easily]

LOSER: Conor and Lucas
Ditto as Eric and Henry, except it was all the more funnier. Lucas was pulling the team together, whereas Conor contemplated on whether or not he should've helped Lucas bring the car out of mud. Other than that a hilarious run, and they ultimately even won 1st place.

WINNER: Daniel and Evan
Not really winners as such, but logical and methodological approaches to challenges with sagacity and strategy surprisingly help. While Daniel and Evan did enjoy the view they also got the task on their first attempt, they firmly decline Kristi and Jessica's plea for help and walked away. Adding to their firm relationship they developed in the former leg, I guess debating does give you a synergy with others.

Leg 8:
What's a Haberdashery anyways?:
Teams immediately left off to their next leg in the capital city. It looks surprisingly pretty and looks like a commercial capital. Evan's ability to say "no" quickly gave her some new foes (It rhymed!) and her opponents caught up FAST. Teams scrambled through the congested streets of Harare and get to an out of the blue U-turn. Remember all those times when Jessica offered help and scampered away without any provocation? Karma is a B.
Lucas and Brittany owe them the righteous serving and u-turn them without haste. Influenced by this, their composite partners also attempt to eliminate their threat(s), Henry and Evan.
By the by, Conor a haberdashery refers to sewing materials. For some reason, I knew that.

NO POSTAL SERVICES ON SUNDAY!! vs. They see me rollin' they hatin':
Truly, the detour of this leg was intriguing and much better than previous season's detour. The mall looked super cool! And the detour was so simple yet the teams that attempted them struggled. It looked fun and chaotic and I look forward to more detours like this. The other half of the detour was also so stressful. It reminded me of s17e2's detour mixed with s27e10 detour(s). Simple traveling and navigating through a crowd.

No roadblock no problemo:
What could have been an excellent roadblock in an aesthetically pleasing park was made into a task. I mean I don't have any complaints, it could have been a roadblock, but in production defense, the teams woke up at the crack of a dawn at 4 AM, put their minds to the use, fought in a mosh pit, traveled all the way from a conservatory to a big city, fought and yelled like crazy, and then sang.

Chained to the Rhythm?:
4 of the 6 teams were deathly terrified of a singing and dancing task, and oh-boy their fears got to them. Kristi and Jen, Alex and Conor, Daniel and Eric and Brittany and Lucas (Ok technically only Lucas) were scared of a task that involved singing. They couldn't get their beat with the pace, couldn't enunciate quickly, lacked diction, and couldn't even groove to the beat. All this gave even the u-turned teams an opportunity to catch up.

WINNERS AND LOSERS:
WINNER: Brittany and Lucas - They got another leg in the hatchet equalling them with team Xtreme. What's more, they even danced well and the crowd cheered, plus they got ice cream! yay

LOSER: Kristi and Jen - Actually another relatively successful leg for the dynamic duo, but the way the singing task tore down Kristi's mental core was tough. Ultimately they started the leg in last place, but they caught up and started the singing in 1st, and reached only 2nd. Moreover Jen accidentally helped Evan at the detour even though Evan refused to reciprocate in the previous leg, but ah it happens I guess. I think they're the only team who are well prepared and can predict how tough the race actually is, and their competitive spirit and their synergy is what leads their victorious ways.

WINNER: Henry and Evan - They were u-turned yet they came out on top. They successfully micromanaged and completed tasks. 'Decide, commit and succeed' is like their motto. They develop strategies with sharp acumen and stick to them, and they don't even fuel each other's arguments, making them a perfect team. Its so nice that they compared the detour to a head to head yet they rose against the odds (leg 2?)

LOSER: Conor and Alex - They went massively off track in the detour and even pulled a John and Jessica by loading their tires into someone else' truck. Fortunately they made up time, and Alex even made him singing in africa a lifetime achievement of his. 3rd place, not bad.

LOSER: Cody and Jessica - They messed their leg up. They were u-turned, and even though they were able to make up time, they couldn't keep up in the singing challenge because Jessica was distracted and mocking others' performances, and Cody refused to rehearse. They barely avoided elimination; again, making them a weak link. Here's to hope that they catch up.

LOSER: Eric and Daniel - You can't sing and you can't perform you lose. They barely avoided elimination, but they ended up out of the race anyways.
Am I sad to see them go? No. They were boring and should've frankly gotten out in the 2nd leg when one of them pushed April's cart and took the lead. IMO the goat yoga moms would've been way more fun.
Are they sad to see themselves go? Probably not. They shrug it off. Back to the firehouse you go.

EPISODE TITLE QUOTE: Why aren't there any episode title quotes for the various episodes? It's unfair.

Next week: another 2 hour episode what is going on + Bahrain! They've only visited it once before right?
+ passport drama, wonder whether it's a case of Kaylani and Lisa or Becca and Floyd or James and Abba.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »
I liked the legs, the twist worked out ok.  The helping evened out.  Cody gives a blank look like he's giving up, or is it that he was confident he knows what to do?  He's not that easy to read.  They got it next go, and they had the pronunciation, rhythm and enough of the speed.  I'm not sure how he'd do on a dance task though. 

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »
I enjoyed both legs.

But I think it would have made for a lot more drama if the partner swap was based on the finishing order of building tents.  Team #1 swaps with Team #2, #3 with #4, and #5 with #6.

Just imagine Cody/Jess swapping with Lucas/Brittany! :drama

Other teams would have been Henry/Evan and Jen/Kristi, Eric/Daniel and Alex/Conor.

I think there would have been a different outcome as well.