Author Topic: Season 30 Racer's Insights  (Read 83402 times)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
Re: Season 30 Racer's Insights
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »
Jen, what did you think about LEG 9 having no Roadblock or Detour?  :camel

Kristi and I are a very balanced team and equal contributors. Where we usually pull our leads out is in Roadblocks. So, yeah...we weren't thrilled about the lack of Roadblocks. None in either Zimbabwe leg or in Bahrain. It's definitely advantageous for teams who have a weaker link.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
Not sure if I've ever seen anyone ask a racer this, but: how much did it "cost" you to go on the Race? Meaning, how much did you spend on clothes, backpack, and other items prior to starting the Race?

Offline TARmap

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2018, 10:49:20 PM »
Hi Jen!  :waves:

First of all, your blogs are absolutely amazing!!! They are so enjoyable to read and provide really great insight into the racers' POV.

I just had one question - how do you guys get all the visas you need to travel and can you guess what places you will be travelling to based on what visas you are asked to get?

Thanks!

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
Hi Jen, in your packing video you mentioned that production removed all clocks from the hotel rooms. Do you know why?

Also, were you given any hints on what to pack from production before the race?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
Hi Jen, in your packing video you mentioned that production removed all clocks from the hotel rooms. Do you know why?

Also, were you given any hints on what to pack from production before the race?

I think Kristi said this and now I can't really remember if that was always the case. Anything with "smart" technology was removed from the room. So if our alarm clock had any other features than being a clock, it was taken out. All books, including the bible, magazines, tv's if they were smart tvs, were removed. This was mainly to ensure that we couldn't "continue racing/strategizing" or contact home while at a pit stop.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
I think in the past racers were only told pre race: NO copyrighted LOGOS (companies, schools, etc) , branding used to be outlawed  (Nike etc) but now seems fine, and no stripes (camera interference).

Interesting to see if  Indy had to get "official" approval for the Indy shirts? As in, no CBS, we won't charge you for unauthorized use of a copyrighted logo....

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »
Also...what instructions (if any) were you given about taking pics with fans? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARmap

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi Jen!

Did you have any ideas on what the final memory challenge was going to while racing (i.e. did you notice any patterns throughout the race that you thought could be used in the final challenge?)

Hope you win tomorrow!

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2018, 10:53:37 PM »
Hi Jen!

Did you have any ideas on what the final memory challenge was going to while racing (i.e. did you notice any patterns throughout the race that you thought could be used in the final challenge?)

Hope you win tomorrow!

We had no idea. We took so many notes during the race and spent most of our travel time studying them. We didn't see any obvious patterns, just committed as much detail to memory as possible. They had been pretty strict about not letting us use notes or materials all race, so we were prepared for anything. Thanks for the support and hope you enjoy the final two episodes!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:38 PM »
You girls had a truly tough time the last couple legs!
It was hard to watch Kristi struggle so much in Hong Kong (I'm glad we didn't have to see her shouting in pain at the RB any longer.. :( ), and it sucks that after such a great, record-setting run, you couldn't pull out the victory. It's just a strange feeling, imagine if Dave & Rachel / Meghan & Cheyne set their records for most leg wins, but fell short in the finale!

Anyway, I was truly pulling for you guys to win, but I was still happy with Jessica & Cody's win, and wouldn't have minded Yale winning either (goes to show how amazing this cast was).

What I want to ask, if you are willing to answer such a question, is what's your view on Team Jody? I know you guys were race friends to some extent, but there has been a lot of back and forth discussion about their behaviour on the race, the comments they made, etc. And I would like to know what you make of it, and whether you see them and their win any differently having watched the edited version of your race. :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
You girls had a truly tough time the last couple legs!
It was hard to watch Kristi struggle so much in Hong Kong (I'm glad we didn't have to see her shouting in pain at the RB any longer.. :( ), and it sucks that after such a great, record-setting run, you couldn't pull out the victory. It's just a strange feeling, imagine if Dave & Rachel / Meghan & Cheyne set their records for most leg wins, but fell short in the finale!

Anyway, I was truly pulling for you guys to win, but I was still happy with Jessica & Cody's win, and wouldn't have minded Yale winning either (goes to show how amazing this cast was).

What I want to ask, if you are willing to answer such a question, is what's your view on Team Jody? I know you guys were race friends to some extent, but there has been a lot of back and forth discussion about their behaviour on the race, the comments they made, etc. And I would like to know what you make of it, and whether you see them and their win any differently having watched the edited version of your race. :)

Thank you for the support. It was certainly a disappointing finish to a great race for us, but we're still proud of how we performed. For some reason I was the only one of the three solving the final puzzle to notice the dimensions of the swings. An element that apparently was meant to be ignored for sake of solving the final puzzle. But my brain, my logical way of thinking, is in part what carried us to the finale, so I can't hate on it for not allowing me to put a wing on an airplane backward. (You can read more on that in my blog).

We were really lucky to be a part of such an incredible cast of characters this season. I don't think anyone would have been upset if anyone in the F5 had won. That's truly spectacular.

As for your question about Jess & Cody. I have not watched Big Brother and I never will. I have spoken to Cody about the things said about him from his time on that show and I do not believe he is what people claim he is. Cody and Jessica treated Kristi and I with respect the entire time we were racing. We connected over a lot in our personal lives (Jess and I both lost our fathers a few years back, Cody is interested in building houses for a living and my husband builds tiny travel trailers). We had fun with them. Watching the show back certainly highlights the drama and the negative moments, particularly of Jessica. While I don't agree with all her tactics, nor do I agree with the way they sometimes spoke about the other teams, I do know that I've said things I later wish I could take back. I'm basing my relationship with Jessica and Cody on what they have shown us in our "real" lives and not paying as much attention to the race. I am happy for them, they're just kicking off their lives together and this money can make a true difference in their lives.

If there is any reason that I'm not happy about it, simply look at our averages. Of course it's difficult to know that we had the best average, that we never came close to elimination and yet, we have to settle for third. But that's just about the race performance and not about the people behind the performance.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »
How did I find this just now...

Hi Jen!!! :waves: Just wanna say that you and Kristi had an amazing run this season. I really wished you 2 had won. At least you 2 still did an amazing job representing the women with your run this season. Congratulations on being the first ever team in the franchise to never place below the top 3! :woohoo:

Here's a question: Can you give us your insights on the U-turn? Would you prefer having it before or after the detour? Do you have any idea of the reason behind putting the U-turn before the detour in recent seasons?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2018, 07:34:19 PM »
How did I find this just now...

Hi Jen!!! :waves: Just wanna say that you and Kristi had an amazing run this season. I really wished you 2 had won. At least you 2 still did an amazing job representing the women with your run this season. Congratulations on being the first ever team in the franchise to never place below the top 3! :woohoo:

Here's a question: Can you give us your insights on the U-turn? Would you prefer having it before or after the detour? Do you have any idea of the reason behind putting the U-turn before the detour in recent seasons?

Hi!! Glad you found it :) and thanks so much for the support!

I have no idea why they chose to place the U-Turn where it was. We all found the clue box before the u-turn board in Prague and production was popping out of bushes saying "don't open your clue," "you may not open your clue...." We were expecting it to be after a task or challenge of some kind. As a strong racer in the front of the pack, I was relieved to get it out of the way right off the bat. But in general, I would certainly prefer it to be after. Wouldn't have changed our strategy too much, but we would have thought about using it much more after running around trying to deliver beer for an hour than just coming straight off the plane with an hour lead. In Zimbabwe, it was fine where it was because we were separated by our performance from the Imire leg.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »
Jen, do you know how far were Indy behind you at the Hong Kong pitstop?
Checking the episode with the operation hours of the train and buses, it seems like all 3 teams finished within 00:00 - 01:00, while Indy car said they met Phil at 3:30am.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
Jen, do you know how far were Indy behind you at the Hong Kong pitstop?
Checking the episode with the operation hours of the train and buses, it seems like all 3 teams finished within 00:00 - 01:00, while Indy car said they met Phil at 3:30am.

I don't know exactly. Kristi and I definitely finished around 1 a.m. They took us to a McDonalds and were hiding us away for at least an hour and a half. I think part of the reason they went to get the boys was because they were trying to hide both Indy and us from Yale and BB so that there was that surprise "reveal" moment at the airport. So, I'd say they were out there for minimum of another 1.5 hrs if not longer. We finally saw Indy arrive to the interview location when we were leaving our interview. Which had to have been at least 2.5 hours after we got to the mat. So, that 3:30 timeline could be accurate.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
That actually brings another question to me.

On TAR's first seasons we had the "eat, sleep and mingle with the other teams"

As of today, when you reach a pit stop, you don't see any of the other teams during the 12h stop?

Edit: thank you for the huge participation on this thread and congratulations to a strong finish. Hope you guys come back for an all stars season.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2018, 03:07:28 AM »
That actually brings another question to me.

On TAR's first seasons we had the "eat, sleep and mingle with the other teams"

As of today, when you reach a pit stop, you don't see any of the other teams during the 12h stop?

Edit: thank you for the huge participation on this thread and congratulations to a strong finish. Hope you guys come back for an all stars season.

Ooh! I have a follow-up question also regarding this.

When do teams "eat, sleep, and mingle with the other teams" and when are they hidden from all the other teams? In some episode of recent seasons, it's as if some teams know which particular team was eliminated. While in some other episodes, the teams ahead are just surprised to find out, usually at the airport, as to which team survived the previous leg. I thought it was inconsistent, but there might be a reason behind it?

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »
Ooh! I have a follow-up question also regarding this.

When do teams "eat, sleep, and mingle with the other teams" and when are they hidden from all the other teams? In some episode of recent seasons, it's as if some teams know which particular team was eliminated. While in some other episodes, the teams ahead are just surprised to find out, usually at the airport, as to which team survived the previous leg. I thought it was inconsistent, but there might be a reason behind it?

I think some teams know when they doing post race interview, especially back of the pack teams
Swarm stupidity