Author Topic: Season 30 Racer's Insights  (Read 83532 times)

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
Re: Season 30 Racer's Insights
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
Hey Jen, on your first destination in Iceland you took Delta or Icelandair on the day of the race.

Delta (DL) 446, JFK-KEF, 2055 (10/1) - 0624 (10/2) (scheduled 2108-0645)
Icelandair (FI) 614, 2114 (10/1) - 0614 (10/2) (scheduled 2040-0615)

Coincidentally, the day that tragically happened in America where 59 people died on a mass shooting in Las Vegas that same day. Were you stunned?

Did you take the flight to Morocco was Royal Air Maroc from Amsterdam to Tangier?

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,33367.msg1207188.html#msg1207188

My last question for you is that you released the departure times on Morocco on day 7. I checked on Flightaware there are no direct flights between Tangier and Casablanca in the evening.

Did you take the flight to Nice and arrived there in the afternoon?

Royal Air Maroc (AT) 471, TNG-CMN, 0450 (10/8) - 0600 (10/8)
Air France (AF) 1497, CMN-CDG, 0742 (10/8) - 1153 (10/8) (scheduled 0740-1140)
Air France (AF) 7714, CDG-NCE, 1246 (10/8) - 1406 (10/8) (scheduled 1245-1415)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:35:38 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 04:19:59 AM »
I was wondering how much actual Tent time sleep you all got before Phil so rudely awakened you? Hard to tell by the light...  :0328:

We got a good night's rest despite the early wake-up call. I'd say most of us were in bed by 9 or 10. Once the sun goes down, there's no light out there. We ate a giant bbq dinner - they had the most amazing chicken and coleslaw, but my tummy was telling my I overdid it on the coleslaw by the next day. Lol.

It's a third-world country, you should watch the coleslaw, or anything with milk or eggs!  :funny:

Just curious because I made the joke, are there anything on the race that are prohibited for safety reasons? Like not to eat certain things or use certain modes of transportation, those kind of stuff.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Meanwhile, I have a placement question regarding Leg 7. In checking teams in and receiving the KOR clue, were each pair of teams actually tied, or was there a distinction made between 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and 5th and 6th. It sounded in the episode as if Phil said something about  6th place team on the mat, andthat either you or Kristii made a comment about being the 6th place team afterwards on your way after the pit stop; and the chyron and the closed captioning for the episode wasn’t helpful after a couple of rewatches. Any guidance on that?

They never said a number and nothing was shown on screen in the episode. They referred to us as the "last teams," but didn't distinguish if we were considered tied for 3rd or tied for 5th. However, I'm choosing to not count it toward Kristi and my team average since we didn't run the leg together. The whole point of Amazing Race is to compete WITH your teammate, so this zinger is definitely confusing things... in my eyes, we still have all top 3 finishes :)
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »
Meanwhile, I have a placement question regarding Leg 7. In checking teams in and receiving the KOR clue, were each pair of teams actually tied, or was there a distinction made between 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and 5th and 6th. It sounded in the episode as if Phil said something about  6th place team on the mat, andthat either you or Kristii made a comment about being the 6th place team afterwards on your way after the pit stop; and the chyron and the closed captioning for the episode wasn’t helpful after a couple of rewatches. Any guidance on that?

They never said a number and nothing was shown on screen in the episode. They referred to us as the "last teams," but didn't distinguish if we were considered tied for 3rd or tied for 5th. However, I'm choosing to not count it toward Kristi and my team average since we didn't run the leg together. The whole point of Amazing Race is to compete WITH your teammate, so this zinger is definitely confusing things... in my eyes, we still have all top 3 finishes :)
Thank you for your input. I had stated in the one ranking the teams thread (I’m sure you’ve seen that here) before the broadcast that I might use the average placement of each Racer of each team as the leg average; it sounds as if I may have to do just that. It will make the average placements for these six teams unique in their final averages. Phil did tell y’all that the order of arrival for each swapped pair, but not the actual check-in KOR.
This was the obverse situation of those seasons when double length legs were first introduced; since the order of arrival at the midpoints of those legs were known, so I treated those as two legs; others, notably Wikipedia eventually came around to that thinking. (I’m trying to keep things equal between seasons, but I will add a note to the Master all-seasons list about this.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »

Thank you for your input. I had stated in the one ranking the teams thread (I’m sure you’ve seen that here) before the broadcast that I might use the average placement of each Racer of each team as the leg average; it sounds as if I may have to do just that. It will make the average placements for these six teams unique in their final averages. Phil did tell y’all that the order of arrival for each swapped pair, but not the actual check-in KOR.
This was the obverse situation of those seasons when double length legs were first introduced; since the order of arrival at the midpoints of those legs were known, so I treated those as two legs; others, notably Wikipedia eventually came around to that thinking. (I’m trying to keep things equal between seasons, but I will add a note to the Master all-seasons list about this.)

I like your idea of "averaging" better than any of the other scenarios that I've seen thrown out there. We still end up slight below 3rd place, but I do feel it's more reflective our collective teams' performance in Leg 7. I will truly be annoyed if my average at the end of this thing has a 5th place tainting it...
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 09:57:41 PM »
Haha, you are truly high achievers! Love it :cmaslol

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »
Haha, you are truly high achievers! Love it :cmaslol

:amen: we're potentially a little too competitive...

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:03 PM »
I'm curious, before answering some questions in like this, do you sometimes contact TAR production (if unsure about the answer) so you know how to answer so you wouldn't accidentally reveal something secret?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »
I'm curious, before answering some questions in like this, do you sometimes contact TAR production (if unsure about the answer) so you know how to answer so you wouldn't accidentally reveal something secret?

I try not to say anything that production would have an issue with, but I haven't asked explicitly.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
Racers are usually VERY informed and careful about what they can and cannot say...Jen is doing a super job!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »
Hi Jen!

Is there any task so far that you would've wanted to do but didn't (either a RB that Kristi did or a Detour you didn't do)?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »
Hi Jen!

Is there any task so far that you would've wanted to do but didn't (either a RB that Kristi did or a Detour you didn't do)?

All of them!! Haha! My husband asked, "how come Kristi got to do all the cool stuff?" That said, we chose our Roadblocks really well. I'm not sure I could have gotten through the ones she did faster than her and vice versa. I will say, the ladder challenge in Belgium seemed really cool and I would have enjoyed the Trebuchet challenge. But I'm really glad I didn't have to sail that tiny boat!! As for detours, we would have made it through the lecture hall in Prague really quickly, but our side of the detour was more fun. And we still won by 42 minutes, so no regrets there. This answer might be different in a few episodes...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2018, 10:55:05 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2018, 02:22:21 AM »
Congratulate for being the offical highest average placing F/F teams! (even if you get eliminated next week, your average placing will still be better than season 11 beauty queens' 2.92 :jumpy:)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
I loved this Episode and Loved your approach to all of the tasks. The spoilers among us were so sorry to not see the "Walk the Plank" Segment. Can you run down for us what it was (RB etc) and what exactly you were doing please?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »
Just a simple question. Curious what the halwa tasted like in Bahrain :)

I'd actually never heard of this stuff, but I understand it takes many, many forms around the world depending on country.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
Alternatively, how about those scorpions?  :snicker:

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
I loved this Episode and Loved your approach to all of the tasks. The spoilers among us were so sorry to not see the "Walk the Plank" Segment. Can you run down for us what it was (RB etc) and what exactly you were doing please?

Hi Peach! Thanks for the support. This task was called "Who knows your partner best?" Teams were asked 3 questions and without communicating with one another, we had to state which of us the question applied to. The first question was "Who has carried the most weight in the race?" "Who is the first to quit on a task?" and "Who knows their partner best?" Every time you got an answer wrong, the person on the plank had to dive in the water. Then you had to start over. It could have been easy to get stuck there all day.

Well, apparently 12 years of friendship isn't enough to actually get to know a person... We got each question wrong on the first attempt and correct on the second attempt. On the first and last questions we were both trying to be nice and flatter one another. The second question: "Who is the first to quit on a task?" is a dumb question to ask me and Kristi. The correct answer is NEITHER! But, we quickly realized that it didn't matter if our answers were "right," they just had to match. We got each question wrong, but on the second time that it was asked, I kept my answer the same and Kristi changed. Had we both kept our answers the same, oh boy...

Guess in the end it didn't make a difference to the outcome of the race.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
Just a simple question. Curious what the halwa tasted like in Bahrain :)

I'd actually never heard of this stuff, but I understand it takes many, many forms around the world depending on country.

I seriously want to track some King of Halwa down. It was so delicious! The consistency was a cross between jello, caramel and pudding. The flavors were like chai tea, very heavy on the cardamom.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
Where did the dives fall in the race sequence? It would have looked great on TV! A nice cool dive probably felt good about then...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
Alternatively, how about those scorpions?  :snicker:

They were actually pretty tasty, kind of smokey, it was mainly just the texture of the exoskeleton that made it so difficult to eat. I didn't love the frog. But there were also crickets on the plate and those were delicious! Crunchy & salty :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33:30 PM »
Where did the dives fall in the race sequence? It would have looked great on TV! A nice cool dive probably felt good about then...

It was where we went right after the shipyard! I was jealous of Kristi at first, but she said the water was actually quite warm and not that refreshing...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
I was thinking the creepy crawlies might have had their stingers removed....

https://www.ehow.com/how_8552463_cut-off-tail-scorpion.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Jen :thankyou: for all the insight you are giving us!  I am thoroughly enjoying learning more about the production of the race.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »
Jen, what did you think about LEG 9 having no Roadblock or Detour?  :camel