Author Topic: Season 30 Racer's Insights  (Read 83999 times)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
Season 30 Racer's Insights
« on: February 03, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »
Hey RFF Fam! Just wanted to drop in and say :yourock:! My family was super appreciative of your detective work during filming, so thank you for easing their concern for me & Kristi while we were gone.

If you have any questions about the season, please feel free to holler at me here!
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Season 30 Racer's Insights
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:33:30 PM »
Hi, Jen! Have really been enjoying the level of insight in your recap blogs.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
Hi, Jen! Have really been enjoying the level of insight in your recap blogs.

Thank you, Maanca! So glad. They've been fun to write. I always had so many questions about the race and what racer's were actually experiencing, but never knew this forum existed! It was such a privilege to be on the race, so I just want to share as much as possible.
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
 :bigwelcome Jen!!

So happy to have you here!!

I love your blogs as well, we are pretty addicted to details around here!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:13:31 PM »
Hey Jen!

Welcome to RFF!  It was great getting to meet you officially at the Episode 3 viewing up in SF a couple weeks ago!

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:20:58 PM »
Hi David!! It was great meeting you too! Thank you for coming out :)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
So nice to see you here Jen! Kristi & you are doing so awesome on the race, I hope you are the first team ever to have all TOP3 finishes, haha!

Were you guys fans of the race/knew the race before, or did you get asked to do this season? Love you on the show regardless, just curious. :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
So nice to see you here Jen! Kristi & you are doing so awesome on the race, I hope you are the first team ever to have all TOP3 finishes, haha!

Were you guys fans of the race/knew the race before, or did you get asked to do this season? Love you on the show regardless, just curious. :)

Thank you! We shall see :)

I was a huge fan of the race before getting casted. My sister and I loved both TAR and Survivor and watched full seasons early on but then fell off for a bit. Then my ski coach and I started watching TAR again around season 15. Any time we had to do crazy shenanigans while traveling for skiing, we would be like "we should apply for Amazing Race!" So, in 2013, I applied to Amazing Race with my ski coach, but never heard back.

The following year I applied to Survivor and made it really far along in casting, but ultimately they didn't move forward with putting me on the show. They told me they'd hang onto my application video in case I was a fit down the road. I didn't take them seriously at all... Then this summer, I got a text from a casting recruiter saying they came across my application video for Survivor and asked if I wanted to go on Amazing Race! They explained the premise of the season and I immediately knew Kristi had to be my partner.

Kristi had seen the show, and always loved the premise, but never watched consistently. We did binge watch nearly all the recent seasons before leaving for the race though! And talked through various scenarios to see how we would approach things.

So, in a nutshell, we're hybrid fans/recruits. Haha! Hope that helps :)

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
Hi Jen,

Congrats to you & Kristi on winning your second leg. It was awesome watching you and every team start in NYC. Thanks for being so involved in answering questions.

Six legs in, who did you think was you're biggest competition? Also, what were you feeling when you arrived in Washington Square Park?

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »
HELLO JEN!!!!

You guys are one of your favourite teams this season! I really do hope you go very far this Race!

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:00:31 PM »
Hi Jen,

It's great to see you here on RFF! I am so glad that we had another F/F team of your calibre. Very strong and very competitive. Your team is my winner's pick.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »
Hi Jen,

Congrats to you & Kristi on winning your second leg. It was awesome watching you and every team start in NYC. Thanks for being so involved in answering questions.

Six legs in, who did you think was you're biggest competition? Also, what were you feeling when you arrived in Washington Square Park?

Thanks so much! Winning that second leg was a huge confidence booster for us. We were bummed about France (those could/should have been 2 other first place finishes) so it felt good to know we had it in us to finish first again!

At this point we knew that our average was really good, but were well aware it could change at ANY time. Any team that had a win, which was just about every team left except for the Twins were on our radar. (No offense guys, we still love you!) We felt most vulnerable with Yale because we felt like they would u-turn us if they had the opportunity. We had developed really strong relationships with Indy, Jody & OceanRescue so despite all of them having won a leg, we felt good about going to the F3 with any of them.

As for what we felt in Washington Square Park? Pure joy, excitement, and appreciation for this opportunity. The turnout there was far beyond anything I had every imagined. I was just thrilled to be outside and about to be competing for the next 25ish days straight! I really do love competition :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 11:02:45 PM »
Hi Jen,

It's great to see you here on RFF! I am so glad that we had another F/F team of your calibre. Very strong and very competitive. Your team is my winner's pick.

Thank you!!! Hope we make you proud :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »
HELLO JEN!!!!

You guys are one of your favourite teams this season! I really do hope you go very far this Race!

Thanks so much! We hope to go far as well!  :hfive:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 02:05:12 PM »
Hi, I'm another one who greatly appreciate your blog. I love the peek behind the curtains as well as the insight in how you thought about the different elements. I also very much like to see strong teams racing, specially all female ones so you guys fit the bill perfectly.

And now I have a couple of questions as well.

First a small fill in a missing detail question. Which route did you fly from Marsielle to Prague?

Secondly a slightly more involved question. I assume there is some temptation to bend the speed limits a bit whenever there is a self-driving leg. And in earlier seasons we have seen racers get busted by the police for speeding. But I have heard rumors about production having some sort of device to deter speeding. I would greatly appreciate if you were able confirm this and clarify how that works.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
Hi, I'm another one who greatly appreciate your blog. I love the peek behind the curtains as well as the insight in how you thought about the different elements. I also very much like to see strong teams racing, specially all female ones so you guys fit the bill perfectly.

And now I have a couple of questions as well.

First a small fill in a missing detail question. Which route did you fly from Marsielle to Prague?

Secondly a slightly more involved question. I assume there is some temptation to bend the speed limits a bit whenever there is a self-driving leg. And in earlier seasons we have seen racers get busted by the police for speeding. But I have heard rumors about production having some sort of device to deter speeding. I would greatly appreciate if you were able confirm this and clarify how that works.

Hi maf! Thanks for the support.

The first flight to Prague was Marseille > Barcelona > Prague. I believe the second flight was Marseille > Brussels > Prague. Those of us on flight #1 slept a few hours on the floor in the Barcelona airport. Unfortunately, our flight leaving Marseille was delayed about an hour, so it cut into our sleep time. From what I recall, flight #2 hunkered down in Marseille for some sleep since their flight through Brussels departed the next morning. It took some digging, but flight #1 was a Vueling flight from Marseille > Barcelona > Prague. They only offer this flight a few days a week. Sometimes it arrives at 10 am, sometimes at 10:35, other times at 10:45, which makes it difficult to search. (See attachments).

As far as the speed limits... Before the race we have a giant safety/security meeting. We were told the most dangerous thing that we would do would be self-driving. They're not lying. Safety is their number one concern, understandably. You don't realize how difficult it is to drive with a camera in your face (especially if it's dark out and their light is blinding you). The cameraman completely blocks your view out the passenger side window/mirror. He/she will always move if you need them to, but it's tricky...

This season, production put the power in the hands of the camera & sound guys/gal (there was one female on the sound crew this year, Ali, and she was RAD!!). The basic rule was that if they felt unsafe, they could tell us to slow down. They gave some general limits (no more than 10 over the speed limit on freeways, for example), and if we were violating the speed limit, our crew would warn us and tell us to slow down. Or, if they felt unsafe (even if we weren't speeding) they could tell us to slow down. If we continued to violate it, they'd give us a time penalty. This, of course, is a bit subjective. Driving with Indy Car drivers, you're probably not going to ever feel unsafe...haha! But for the most part, I think people stayed in line. There's certainly no more variance in speeding in a self-drive leg as there is to having a good/bad taxi in a non-self-drive leg.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
Hi, Jen! Glad to have you here! After six legs you and Kristi are definitelty my fav team of the season.

Now..., before starting the race did you have a planned strategy or topics on how to approach the different difficulties you could face along the way? And if that was the case (and talking about the six legs aired) did you need to make changes or adjust it once on the race?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:17:09 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 12:12:29 PM »
Thanks so much Jen! We love details around here. Our WIKImaster will be ecstatic to have flight confirmation!

We love self driving legs and are happy to see them again. Were you given instructions about needing to be able to drive stick pre-race as well this season? That has been variable in the past.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »
Hi, Jen! Glad to have you here! After six legs you and Kristi are definitelty my fav team of the season.

Now..., before starting the race did you have a planned strategy or topics on how to approach the different difficulties you could face along the way? And if that was the case (and talking about the six legs aired) did you need to make changes or adjust it once on the race?

Awe, thanks Alenaveda!! That means a lot. There are so many likable teams this year. We felt really lucky to get along with everyone. I know drama makes the show a bit more interesting, but selfishly, it was nice to not get mixed up in it!

Kristi and I watched a lot of the show before leaving. We would talk about different scenarios, who would do what Roadblock, etc. We're obviously both pretty physical, but with my history of knee injuries, we opted for having Kristi do more of the seemingly "physical" tasks. Kristi has a history of concussions, so her memory isn't quite as solid as mine, so we'd have me do the more mental tasks. This is of course based on very little information, so we did our best at assessing the location, not just how the question was phrased. So far, the Roadblocks we've each performed have been completely suited to our strengths.

The other thing we discussed was how hard it would be to be together 24/7 for 30 days! We addressed the fact that we'd probably have moments of complete meltdowns, screaming fits, f*ckups and more. Haha! Production has been been kind in not showing too much of them, though the bits that I've seen, sounded way worse in my head than they appeared in the show. We decided that we'd take nothing personally, that we were both there for the same reason, to be a kick-ass all female team, to make the F3 and become the 4th F/F team to win - some say this is insignificant because it's been done before, but it hasn't been done enough. We were serious about this goal and weren't going to let interpersonal drama get in the way of it.

Both of us have an insane competitive drive and focus, almost to a fault. We were caught off-guard about the "race-blind" phenomenon that makes you miss obvious details (like the perfect pour sign in the brewery or not getting a map in Iceland for a self-drive leg). It took a conscious effort to slow down and THINK before we started running/racing/driving. You can't even imagine the amount of adrenaline you feel during this race.

Also, the self-drive was much more difficult than we anticipated and we had a lot of it! The other piece that started getting to me going to Zimbabwe actually, was the amount that the "not-knowing-what's-coming" scenario would have on me. I would spend too much energy trying to anticipate what production had planned. It would drive me mad. We would research every detail of every place we were going before arriving and try to anticipate what was coming. Might have been better served doing a little less of that...

Oh, we also discussed U-Turns and Alliances. We decided that we would only use a U-Turn if we were in the back of the pack and HAD to use it. Otherwise, we didn't feel it was worth the risk of potentially making an enemy or at the very least losing the trust of our fellow racers. As far as alliances, we did NOT want to make any rigid alliances. I don't think there is a blanket right and wrong answer for alliances. I think a lot of it depends on the kind of racer you are, how strong of a team you are, what type of game you're playing, how you're seen by your competition, etc. We took the approach of forming genuine relationships with teams on the race. Trying to get to know who they were OUTSIDE of the race context. But we were always mindful of the conversations happening around us, the teams that spent more or less time together, and so on. At this point in the race a few teams had agreed about teams that they felt threatened by or didn't trust (not who you may think), so we definitely had some soft agreements in place.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:11:35 PM by Jen #TeamExtreme »

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 01:01:59 PM »
Thanks so much Jen! We love details around here. Our WIKImaster will be ecstatic to have flight confirmation!

We love self driving legs and are happy to see them again. Were you given instructions about needing to be able to drive stick pre-race as well this season? That has been variable in the past.

It was strongly recommended that you know how to drive stick, but it wasn't a requirement. There was no test you had to pass... We also had to go and get an international driver's license (which I've never done before despite driving internationally quite a bit). Apparently, Jess doesn't even have a driver's license of any kind, so she was never going to be driving a vehicle during the race.

Both Kristi and I know how to drive stick, but I had a bit more experience than her. She also had a traumatic experience driving stick during a personal trip to France, LOL, so she was a little gun-shy. We we defaulted to me being the driver and Kristi handling the navigation, but occasionally switched it up, like leaving the Roadblock in Iceland when I got soaking wet and wanted to change in the car.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »
Wow, I love how much you go into detail! Seriously, thank you for coming here and interacting with us fans.

At this point in the race a few teams had agreed about teams that they felt threatened by or didn't trust (not who you may think), so we definitely had some soft agreements in place.
Haha, that's such a teaser!
I completely understand if you cannot/don't want to elaborate, but I'd be really interested to find out more about the dynamics between teams. :)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
Welcome, Jen! So cool to have you here.

Congratulations on a great run so far! Showing the girls power!  :yourock:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »

By the way, i have a question too.

When you're on the race, do you have ANY idea of what place you're in or you are just like ALWAYS worried not knowing anything?

This question is because i, like most of the people here, always dreamed of being on the race. How could you be so secure while racing it?

Thanks for being in the forum to share those questions with us and again, congrats on winning two legs so far! Hope you guys can make it to the final!

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 02:03:23 PM »
Wow, I love how much you go into detail! Seriously, thank you for coming here and interacting with us fans.

At this point in the race a few teams had agreed about teams that they felt threatened by or didn't trust (not who you may think), so we definitely had some soft agreements in place.
Haha, that's such a teaser!
I completely understand if you cannot/don't want to elaborate, but I'd be really interested to find out more about the dynamics between teams. :)

My pleasure, Marionete! I want to preface this by saying that these opinions/perspectives/views are entirely in the context of a race for $1,000,000. My statements are only reflecting upon what I saw/felt/believed during the race in no way reflect my opinion of them in their real lives as real people. We all came in as complete strangers and are only now starting to get to know each other on any meaningful level.

Now that that is out of the way, Kristi & I felt most vulnerable with Yale. We heard them discussing U-Turn strategy at dinner, stating that they'd use a U-Turn to eliminate a strong team. Well, Kristi & I were aware enough to know we had the best average of any team at this point, so it made us uneasy. We also felt that they were a threatening team to have in the F3 because there are so often memory challenges. They had notecards (granted, we kept excessive notes as well), were always sneaking off to do research (haha, we were too) and felt that they would be very prepared for a final leg. In many ways, they were most like us strategy-wise, and we knew we were good. LOL!

We got along really well with Indy, Ocean Rescue, and Jody. As well as the Firefighters, but didn't interact with Daniel & Eric quite as much as the other teams. Of course we adored Well-Strung, they're impossible not to love. If it weren't for a slip-up in France, they'd still be in the race and we may have started keeping a close watch on them. They were a strong team and got along well with Yale, which made me speculate about possible alliances forming around us. Also, Chris is SOOOO competitive. They really didn't show this thoroughly with his edit. I'd say the Prague leg was when the dynamics of teams  really started to become meaningful.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »

By the way, i have a question too.

When you're on the race, do you have ANY idea of what place you're in or you are just like ALWAYS worried not knowing anything?

This question is because i, like most of the people here, always dreamed of being on the race. How could you be so secure while racing it?

Thanks for being in the forum to share those questions with us and again, congrats on winning two legs so far! Hope you guys can make it to the final!

Thank you, Declive!! I appreciate that you think we appear secure, but man, there is SO much doubt!

Kristi and I had seen enough of the race to know that ANYTHING can happen. We also knew that if we were struggling with something, we probably weren't alone. The keg Detour in Prague is a perfect example of this. We got lost for a LONG time (see my most recent blog: https://jenhudak.com/amazing-race-30-6/). We figured teams that went to the other detour were probably done and at the Roadblock or at the mat for that reason... Keep in mind, we had no idea what the other Detour was. You get recalibrated when you get to the next clue box because you can see how many clues are remaining. When we got to the Roadblock, we were like WTH?! We're in first?!

We know that getting frazzled doesn't help us execute, and that we need to continue racing our best until we step foot on that mat and Phil tell's us we're out. So, when things get hard, we often try to pause and regroup. Easier said than done of course.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:48:19 PM by Jen #TeamExtreme »

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »
Just re read your blog and saw that you said:

For those of you who don’t know the rules of the race, once you’ve used a u-turn, you can’t use it again in the race.

That was always true in the earlier seasons, but there have been a couple of seasons recently where there were UNLIMITED U-Turns.  That received a lot of fan hate (similar to the ongoing debate about the awfulness of having the U-Turn be before and not after a Detour).

I am thrilled to hear that! That def makes deciding to use it much more of a "decision".  :hfive:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 10:07:30 AM »
I have another question. One, IMHO, under-appreciated part of the race is the camera and sound crew each team is accompanied by (just think about running around Tangier with a heavy camera on your shoulder). In earlier seasons production seem to have done their best to hide them but in this season that policy seem to have changed and we seem them much more.

My question is how much do you interact with your crew while racing? Do they give you instructions like, get into the car and drive a couple of meters before we get in? Can you ask them questions about the rules, may we...?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »
Just re read your blog and saw that you said:

For those of you who don’t know the rules of the race, once you’ve used a u-turn, you can’t use it again in the race.

That was always true in the earlier seasons, but there have been a couple of seasons recently where there were UNLIMITED U-Turns.  That received a lot of fan hate (similar to the ongoing debate about the awfulness of having the U-Turn be before and not after a Detour).

I am thrilled to hear that! That def makes deciding to use it much more of a "decision".  :hfive:

Well, after speaking with Well-Strung, I might have been wrong about that rule for our season. Whoops! Regardless, it wouldn't have changed Kristi & my strategy with that particular U-Turn, especially given its location.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »
I have another question. One, IMHO, under-appreciated part of the race is the camera and sound crew each team is accompanied by (just think about running around Tangier with a heavy camera on your shoulder). In earlier seasons production seem to have done their best to hide them but in this season that policy seem to have changed and we seem them much more.

My question is how much do you interact with your crew while racing? Do they give you instructions like, get into the car and drive a couple of meters before we get in? Can you ask them questions about the rules, may we...?

That is absolutely an under-appreciated part of the race! Probably the most so. The camera/sound men & woman are out of this world incredible at what they do. And they take great pride in their work.

You interact with them a TON! You really have to think of yourself as a 4-person team out there. They have to have you in frame at all times, so teams can't split tasks. You have to think about them when you're getting cabs, for seasons with Tuk-Tuks, you have to hail 2 at a time. When booking tickets, you have to book their seats as well.

There are times when they'll ask you to get in the taxi and start to drive off, then stop and they'll hop in. But every team has to do this, so we don't mind. They're very careful to not do this at highly critical times. :nono2: We can clarify rules with them as well. If they don't know the answer, they always have a way to reach production to find out. We didn't have to do that often, but in Morocco, we asked several times because people kept wanting to lead teams places, which is typically not allowed. They are also the ones that keep speed limits in check.

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
For the first half of the race:

What's been your favorite location?

What's been your favorite specific task?

Favorite leg while racing?

Favorite episode to watch?

And if you want, you can do least favorite in any category too  :snicker:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 06:55:15 AM »
You interact with them a TON! You really have to think of yourself as a 4-person team out there. They have to have you in frame at all times, so teams can't split tasks. You have to think about them when you're getting cabs, for seasons with Tuk-Tuks, you have to hail 2 at a time. When booking tickets, you have to book their seats as well.

That's interesting! I always wondered how they film teams when they are riding in Tuk-tuks, it looks impossible to get some good shots!

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
For the first half of the race:

And if you want, you can do least favorite in any category too  :snicker:

Prague, hands down!

That I did solo, the Roadblock in Morocco. With Kristi, the printing press detour in Belgium.

PRAGUE!!! But only after we found Fidelio! Lol. A close second was Iceland. Being the first leg of the race, getting the feel for everything and taking home that first win.

Morocco for sure. There were so many lead changes. It was a really fun episode to watch.

I don't really have a "least" favorite part of the race so far. Even the things that are difficult are a part of the journey that make the fun times more enjoyable. I will say that the most stressed I've been was in cabs in Morocco. Our cab on day 1 dropped us off in the entirely wrong location, then leaving Morocco, the first cab we got in to go to the travel agency, crashed into a moving car pulling off the curb...

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »
A question that I've had for a long time just popped into my head.
When you reach the pit stop, are you guys told how long the rest period is gonna be? And then just meet your crew at the designated time?

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »
How was the feeling when you had to wait for Kristi for checking in on leg 7 and being dropped to last place?  >:(

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »
A question that I've had for a long time just popped into my head.
When you reach the pit stop, are you guys told how long the rest period is gonna be? And then just meet your crew at the designated time?

Yes, you're given a start time for the next leg while you're in Pit Stop processing. As soon as we get to the Pit Stop, they check passports, count money, make you hand in all your clues and feed you :) then we're taken for interviews and then brought to the hotel. Some times start times get bumped back a bit.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »
How was the feeling when you had to wait for Kristi for checking in on leg 7 and being dropped to last place?  >:(

It was awful. When we were told we were switching partners, we didn't know what we'd be doing, how long we'd be switched for or how the "switching back" would be handled. At the detour, I thought we should've switched and gone with the girls, but I didn't hold my ground with Cody. When we first arrived at the mat, we were confident they'd be right behind us. Even when Brittany and Alex arrived, we felt fine because they started before Jess & Kristi. But after the next team arrived, I really started to get nervous. At this point we were aware that it was a KOR, so we knew that every minute mattered. We were about 20 minutes behind Indy & OR, and only a couple minutes behind Yale & Firefighters.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
So Jen, what did you think of Legs 7 and 8?

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
So Jen, what did you think of Legs 7 and 8?
https://jenhudak.com/blog/
Just in case you didn't know, you can read her general thoughts on each leg here (and I assume legs 7/8 will be up soon). :)

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
Hi Jen,

Besides your team, who are some of your favorite teams in all the seasons you have seen?
Also, what's your favorite seasons, besides season 30?

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
I have a question about the end of the first leg in the last episode. Interspersed in the episode were confessionals from the switched-partner teams. The background matched the scenery in that leg so I assume these were filmed after the pit stop. Which means you can not have kept on racing immediately but that there had to be some time for interviews. Is that correct? And if so I hope production did release teams with the same time interval as they checked in.

Also the episode strongly suggests that both legs took place on the same day. Did they, and in that case I wonder if this is the first time that has happened.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 01:28:33 AM »
I have a question about the end of the first leg in the last episode. Interspersed in the episode were confessionals from the switched-partner teams. The background matched the scenery in that leg so I assume these were filmed after the pit stop. Which means you can not have kept on racing immediately but that there had to be some time for interviews. Is that correct? And if so I hope production did release teams with the same time interval as they checked in.

Also the episode strongly suggests that both legs took place on the same day. Did they, and in that case I wonder if this is the first time that has happened.
Tar27's Zimbabwe was also 1.5 leg on one day

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 04:24:09 AM »
Hi Jen!

Your flight from Prague to Harare with Kristi on October 14th, 2017 the flight you took was Swissair and South African Airways within two connecting points??

Here is my post from the Transportation Thread regarding on your flight:

Swiss (LX) 1499 PRG-ZRH 1953 (10/14) - 2100 (10/14) (scheduled 1955-2115)
Swiss (LX) 288 ZRH-JNB 2243 (10/14) - 0906 (10/15) (scheduled 2240-0910)
South African (SA) 22 JNB-HRE 1100 (10/15) - 1219 (10/15) (scheduled 1045-1215)

That may be right?

Wishes and support for the continuity of The Amazing Race.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:59:04 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »
Hi Jen!

Your flight from Prague to Harare with Kristi on October 14th, 2017 the flight you took was Swissair and South African Airways within two connecting points??

Here is my post from the Transportation Thread regarding on your flight:

Swiss (LX) 1499 PRG-ZRH 1953 (10/14) - 2100 (10/14) (scheduled 1955-2115)
Swiss (LX) 288 ZRH-JNB 2243 (10/14) - 0906 (10/15) (scheduled 2240-0910)
South African (SA) 22 JNB-HRE 1100 (10/15) - 1219 (10/15) (scheduled 1045-1215)

That may be right?

Wishes and support for the continuity of The Amazing Race.

Hi Claude! Yes, that looks correct. We definitely connected through Zurich and South Africa on Swiss Air. Also, we arrived in Harrare around noon. So this seems spot on.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »

Hi Maf! We filmed confessionals after leg 7 during a 1-hour pit-stop. Our start times were preserved from our finish times in that leg. So, Indy & Ocean Rescue had about a 20 minute lead on Yale & Firefighters and Jody & Extreme were about 2 minutes behind Yale & Firefighters.

I'm not sure if this is the first time that's happened. Hard to tell from the way shows are edited. But this was for sure the longest stretch of racing for us. It was ~32 hours from ripping our clue in Prague to arriving at Bushcamp. We didn't finish leg 8 until around 1:30 pm the next day. So all-in-all it was about a 52-hour stretch of racing.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
Hi Jen,

Besides your team, who are some of your favorite teams in all the seasons you have seen?
Also, what's your favorite seasons, besides season 30?

Hi Smiley! One of the most iconic seasons for me was season 21. The cast was so dynamic. As far as favorite teams, Kristi and I both really respected how Dave & Connor ran the race. I also loved Brook & Claire from Season 17. They were entertaining & tough as hell. That season was awesome too because there were so many strong female teams. It was the first (and only) time that F/F teams finished first and second.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
I was wondering how much actual Tent time sleep you all got before Phil so rudely awakened you? Hard to tell by the light...  :0328:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »
And how much time did you get from when Phil woke you until the team switching announcement. It looks like a while since the sun seems to be up when the announcement is made and sunrise was around 05:30. Did they give you time to get dressed, have breakfast and pack your stuff?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 02:34:30 PM »
I was wondering how much actual Tent time sleep you all got before Phil so rudely awakened you? Hard to tell by the light...  :0328:

We got a good night's rest despite the early wake-up call. I'd say most of us were in bed by 9 or 10. Once the sun goes down, there's no light out there. We ate a giant bbq dinner - they had the most amazing chicken and coleslaw, but my tummy was telling my I overdid it on the coleslaw by the next day. Lol.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
And how much time did you get from when Phil woke you until the team switching announcement. It looks like a while since the sun seems to be up when the announcement is made and sunrise was around 05:30. Did they give you time to get dressed, have breakfast and pack your stuff?

I think Phil actually woke us closer to 5 a.m. He woke us up in the dark, then they fed us breakfast, THEN they told us about partner swap. It was proabably nearly 7 a.m. before we truly started racing. That said, they did so many takes with the wake up and the partner swap stuff that it was barely enough time to get packed up. We made sure to get dressed before getting out of the tent, since we had no idea how quickly they'd be saying GO!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
Jen, as far as I know, TAR 9 had the longest ever elapsed time leg with teams traveling from rural to Moscow and then to

Hi Maf! We filmed confessionals after leg 7 during a 1-hour pit-stop. Our start times were preserved from our finish times in that leg. So, Indy & Ocean Rescue had about a 20 minute lead on Yale & Firefighters and Jody & Extreme were about 2 minutes behind Yale & Firefighters.

I'm not sure if this is the first time that's happened. Hard to tell from the way shows are edited. But this was for sure the longest stretch of racing for us. It was ~32 hours from ripping our clue in Prague to arriving at Bushcamp. We didn't finish leg 8 until around 1:30 pm the next day. So all-in-all it was about a 52-hour stretch of racing.
Jen, as far as I know, the longest leg in elapsed time was during TAR 9 when teams travelled from rural Brazil to Moscow to Germany, ending in Munich.

Meanwhile, I have a placement question regarding Leg 7. In checking teams in and receiving the KOR clue, were each pair of teams actually tied, or was there a distinction made between 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and 5th and 6th. It sounded in the episode as if Phil said something about  6th place team on the mat, andthat either you or Kristii made a comment about being the 6th place team afterwards on your way after the pit stop; and the chyron and the closed captioning for the episode wasn’t helpful after a couple of rewatches. Any guidance on that?
-- theschnauzers

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
Hey Jen, on your first destination in Iceland you took Delta or Icelandair on the day of the race.

Delta (DL) 446, JFK-KEF, 2055 (10/1) - 0624 (10/2) (scheduled 2108-0645)
Icelandair (FI) 614, 2114 (10/1) - 0614 (10/2) (scheduled 2040-0615)

Coincidentally, the day that tragically happened in America where 59 people died on a mass shooting in Las Vegas that same day. Were you stunned?

Did you take the flight to Morocco was Royal Air Maroc from Amsterdam to Tangier?

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,33367.msg1207188.html#msg1207188

My last question for you is that you released the departure times on Morocco on day 7. I checked on Flightaware there are no direct flights between Tangier and Casablanca in the evening.

Did you take the flight to Nice and arrived there in the afternoon?

Royal Air Maroc (AT) 471, TNG-CMN, 0450 (10/8) - 0600 (10/8)
Air France (AF) 1497, CMN-CDG, 0742 (10/8) - 1153 (10/8) (scheduled 0740-1140)
Air France (AF) 7714, CDG-NCE, 1246 (10/8) - 1406 (10/8) (scheduled 1245-1415)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:35:38 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 04:19:59 AM »

We got a good night's rest despite the early wake-up call. I'd say most of us were in bed by 9 or 10. Once the sun goes down, there's no light out there. We ate a giant bbq dinner - they had the most amazing chicken and coleslaw, but my tummy was telling my I overdid it on the coleslaw by the next day. Lol.

It's a third-world country, you should watch the coleslaw, or anything with milk or eggs!  :funny:

Just curious because I made the joke, are there anything on the race that are prohibited for safety reasons? Like not to eat certain things or use certain modes of transportation, those kind of stuff.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Meanwhile, I have a placement question regarding Leg 7. In checking teams in and receiving the KOR clue, were each pair of teams actually tied, or was there a distinction made between 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and 5th and 6th. It sounded in the episode as if Phil said something about  6th place team on the mat, andthat either you or Kristii made a comment about being the 6th place team afterwards on your way after the pit stop; and the chyron and the closed captioning for the episode wasn’t helpful after a couple of rewatches. Any guidance on that?

They never said a number and nothing was shown on screen in the episode. They referred to us as the "last teams," but didn't distinguish if we were considered tied for 3rd or tied for 5th. However, I'm choosing to not count it toward Kristi and my team average since we didn't run the leg together. The whole point of Amazing Race is to compete WITH your teammate, so this zinger is definitely confusing things... in my eyes, we still have all top 3 finishes :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »

They never said a number and nothing was shown on screen in the episode. They referred to us as the "last teams," but didn't distinguish if we were considered tied for 3rd or tied for 5th. However, I'm choosing to not count it toward Kristi and my team average since we didn't run the leg together. The whole point of Amazing Race is to compete WITH your teammate, so this zinger is definitely confusing things... in my eyes, we still have all top 3 finishes :)
Thank you for your input. I had stated in the one ranking the teams thread (I’m sure you’ve seen that here) before the broadcast that I might use the average placement of each Racer of each team as the leg average; it sounds as if I may have to do just that. It will make the average placements for these six teams unique in their final averages. Phil did tell y’all that the order of arrival for each swapped pair, but not the actual check-in KOR.
This was the obverse situation of those seasons when double length legs were first introduced; since the order of arrival at the midpoints of those legs were known, so I treated those as two legs; others, notably Wikipedia eventually came around to that thinking. (I’m trying to keep things equal between seasons, but I will add a note to the Master all-seasons list about this.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »

Thank you for your input. I had stated in the one ranking the teams thread (I’m sure you’ve seen that here) before the broadcast that I might use the average placement of each Racer of each team as the leg average; it sounds as if I may have to do just that. It will make the average placements for these six teams unique in their final averages. Phil did tell y’all that the order of arrival for each swapped pair, but not the actual check-in KOR.
This was the obverse situation of those seasons when double length legs were first introduced; since the order of arrival at the midpoints of those legs were known, so I treated those as two legs; others, notably Wikipedia eventually came around to that thinking. (I’m trying to keep things equal between seasons, but I will add a note to the Master all-seasons list about this.)

I like your idea of "averaging" better than any of the other scenarios that I've seen thrown out there. We still end up slight below 3rd place, but I do feel it's more reflective our collective teams' performance in Leg 7. I will truly be annoyed if my average at the end of this thing has a 5th place tainting it...

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 09:57:41 PM »
Haha, you are truly high achievers! Love it :cmaslol

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »
Haha, you are truly high achievers! Love it :cmaslol

:amen: we're potentially a little too competitive...

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:03 PM »
I'm curious, before answering some questions in like this, do you sometimes contact TAR production (if unsure about the answer) so you know how to answer so you wouldn't accidentally reveal something secret?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »
I'm curious, before answering some questions in like this, do you sometimes contact TAR production (if unsure about the answer) so you know how to answer so you wouldn't accidentally reveal something secret?

I try not to say anything that production would have an issue with, but I haven't asked explicitly.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
Racers are usually VERY informed and careful about what they can and cannot say...Jen is doing a super job!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »
Hi Jen!

Is there any task so far that you would've wanted to do but didn't (either a RB that Kristi did or a Detour you didn't do)?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »
Hi Jen!

Is there any task so far that you would've wanted to do but didn't (either a RB that Kristi did or a Detour you didn't do)?

All of them!! Haha! My husband asked, "how come Kristi got to do all the cool stuff?" That said, we chose our Roadblocks really well. I'm not sure I could have gotten through the ones she did faster than her and vice versa. I will say, the ladder challenge in Belgium seemed really cool and I would have enjoyed the Trebuchet challenge. But I'm really glad I didn't have to sail that tiny boat!! As for detours, we would have made it through the lecture hall in Prague really quickly, but our side of the detour was more fun. And we still won by 42 minutes, so no regrets there. This answer might be different in a few episodes...

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2018, 10:55:05 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2018, 02:22:21 AM »
Congratulate for being the offical highest average placing F/F teams! (even if you get eliminated next week, your average placing will still be better than season 11 beauty queens' 2.92 :jumpy:)

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
I loved this Episode and Loved your approach to all of the tasks. The spoilers among us were so sorry to not see the "Walk the Plank" Segment. Can you run down for us what it was (RB etc) and what exactly you were doing please?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »
Just a simple question. Curious what the halwa tasted like in Bahrain :)

I'd actually never heard of this stuff, but I understand it takes many, many forms around the world depending on country.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
Alternatively, how about those scorpions?  :snicker:

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
I loved this Episode and Loved your approach to all of the tasks. The spoilers among us were so sorry to not see the "Walk the Plank" Segment. Can you run down for us what it was (RB etc) and what exactly you were doing please?

Hi Peach! Thanks for the support. This task was called "Who knows your partner best?" Teams were asked 3 questions and without communicating with one another, we had to state which of us the question applied to. The first question was "Who has carried the most weight in the race?" "Who is the first to quit on a task?" and "Who knows their partner best?" Every time you got an answer wrong, the person on the plank had to dive in the water. Then you had to start over. It could have been easy to get stuck there all day.

Well, apparently 12 years of friendship isn't enough to actually get to know a person... We got each question wrong on the first attempt and correct on the second attempt. On the first and last questions we were both trying to be nice and flatter one another. The second question: "Who is the first to quit on a task?" is a dumb question to ask me and Kristi. The correct answer is NEITHER! But, we quickly realized that it didn't matter if our answers were "right," they just had to match. We got each question wrong, but on the second time that it was asked, I kept my answer the same and Kristi changed. Had we both kept our answers the same, oh boy...

Guess in the end it didn't make a difference to the outcome of the race.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
Just a simple question. Curious what the halwa tasted like in Bahrain :)

I'd actually never heard of this stuff, but I understand it takes many, many forms around the world depending on country.

I seriously want to track some King of Halwa down. It was so delicious! The consistency was a cross between jello, caramel and pudding. The flavors were like chai tea, very heavy on the cardamom.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
Where did the dives fall in the race sequence? It would have looked great on TV! A nice cool dive probably felt good about then...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
Alternatively, how about those scorpions?  :snicker:

They were actually pretty tasty, kind of smokey, it was mainly just the texture of the exoskeleton that made it so difficult to eat. I didn't love the frog. But there were also crickets on the plate and those were delicious! Crunchy & salty :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33:30 PM »
Where did the dives fall in the race sequence? It would have looked great on TV! A nice cool dive probably felt good about then...

It was where we went right after the shipyard! I was jealous of Kristi at first, but she said the water was actually quite warm and not that refreshing...

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
I was thinking the creepy crawlies might have had their stingers removed....

https://www.ehow.com/how_8552463_cut-off-tail-scorpion.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Jen :thankyou: for all the insight you are giving us!  I am thoroughly enjoying learning more about the production of the race.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »
Jen, what did you think about LEG 9 having no Roadblock or Detour?  :camel

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »
Jen, what did you think about LEG 9 having no Roadblock or Detour?  :camel

Kristi and I are a very balanced team and equal contributors. Where we usually pull our leads out is in Roadblocks. So, yeah...we weren't thrilled about the lack of Roadblocks. None in either Zimbabwe leg or in Bahrain. It's definitely advantageous for teams who have a weaker link.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
Not sure if I've ever seen anyone ask a racer this, but: how much did it "cost" you to go on the Race? Meaning, how much did you spend on clothes, backpack, and other items prior to starting the Race?

Offline TARmap

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2018, 10:49:20 PM »
Hi Jen!  :waves:

First of all, your blogs are absolutely amazing!!! They are so enjoyable to read and provide really great insight into the racers' POV.

I just had one question - how do you guys get all the visas you need to travel and can you guess what places you will be travelling to based on what visas you are asked to get?

Thanks!

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
Hi Jen, in your packing video you mentioned that production removed all clocks from the hotel rooms. Do you know why?

Also, were you given any hints on what to pack from production before the race?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
Hi Jen, in your packing video you mentioned that production removed all clocks from the hotel rooms. Do you know why?

Also, were you given any hints on what to pack from production before the race?

I think Kristi said this and now I can't really remember if that was always the case. Anything with "smart" technology was removed from the room. So if our alarm clock had any other features than being a clock, it was taken out. All books, including the bible, magazines, tv's if they were smart tvs, were removed. This was mainly to ensure that we couldn't "continue racing/strategizing" or contact home while at a pit stop.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
I think in the past racers were only told pre race: NO copyrighted LOGOS (companies, schools, etc) , branding used to be outlawed  (Nike etc) but now seems fine, and no stripes (camera interference).

Interesting to see if  Indy had to get "official" approval for the Indy shirts? As in, no CBS, we won't charge you for unauthorized use of a copyrighted logo....

RFF's Golden Rule:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »
Also...what instructions (if any) were you given about taking pics with fans? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARmap

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi Jen!

Did you have any ideas on what the final memory challenge was going to while racing (i.e. did you notice any patterns throughout the race that you thought could be used in the final challenge?)

Hope you win tomorrow!

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2018, 10:53:37 PM »
Hi Jen!

Did you have any ideas on what the final memory challenge was going to while racing (i.e. did you notice any patterns throughout the race that you thought could be used in the final challenge?)

Hope you win tomorrow!

We had no idea. We took so many notes during the race and spent most of our travel time studying them. We didn't see any obvious patterns, just committed as much detail to memory as possible. They had been pretty strict about not letting us use notes or materials all race, so we were prepared for anything. Thanks for the support and hope you enjoy the final two episodes!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:38 PM »
You girls had a truly tough time the last couple legs!
It was hard to watch Kristi struggle so much in Hong Kong (I'm glad we didn't have to see her shouting in pain at the RB any longer.. :( ), and it sucks that after such a great, record-setting run, you couldn't pull out the victory. It's just a strange feeling, imagine if Dave & Rachel / Meghan & Cheyne set their records for most leg wins, but fell short in the finale!

Anyway, I was truly pulling for you guys to win, but I was still happy with Jessica & Cody's win, and wouldn't have minded Yale winning either (goes to show how amazing this cast was).

What I want to ask, if you are willing to answer such a question, is what's your view on Team Jody? I know you guys were race friends to some extent, but there has been a lot of back and forth discussion about their behaviour on the race, the comments they made, etc. And I would like to know what you make of it, and whether you see them and their win any differently having watched the edited version of your race. :)

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
You girls had a truly tough time the last couple legs!
It was hard to watch Kristi struggle so much in Hong Kong (I'm glad we didn't have to see her shouting in pain at the RB any longer.. :( ), and it sucks that after such a great, record-setting run, you couldn't pull out the victory. It's just a strange feeling, imagine if Dave & Rachel / Meghan & Cheyne set their records for most leg wins, but fell short in the finale!

Anyway, I was truly pulling for you guys to win, but I was still happy with Jessica & Cody's win, and wouldn't have minded Yale winning either (goes to show how amazing this cast was).

What I want to ask, if you are willing to answer such a question, is what's your view on Team Jody? I know you guys were race friends to some extent, but there has been a lot of back and forth discussion about their behaviour on the race, the comments they made, etc. And I would like to know what you make of it, and whether you see them and their win any differently having watched the edited version of your race. :)

Thank you for the support. It was certainly a disappointing finish to a great race for us, but we're still proud of how we performed. For some reason I was the only one of the three solving the final puzzle to notice the dimensions of the swings. An element that apparently was meant to be ignored for sake of solving the final puzzle. But my brain, my logical way of thinking, is in part what carried us to the finale, so I can't hate on it for not allowing me to put a wing on an airplane backward. (You can read more on that in my blog).

We were really lucky to be a part of such an incredible cast of characters this season. I don't think anyone would have been upset if anyone in the F5 had won. That's truly spectacular.

As for your question about Jess & Cody. I have not watched Big Brother and I never will. I have spoken to Cody about the things said about him from his time on that show and I do not believe he is what people claim he is. Cody and Jessica treated Kristi and I with respect the entire time we were racing. We connected over a lot in our personal lives (Jess and I both lost our fathers a few years back, Cody is interested in building houses for a living and my husband builds tiny travel trailers). We had fun with them. Watching the show back certainly highlights the drama and the negative moments, particularly of Jessica. While I don't agree with all her tactics, nor do I agree with the way they sometimes spoke about the other teams, I do know that I've said things I later wish I could take back. I'm basing my relationship with Jessica and Cody on what they have shown us in our "real" lives and not paying as much attention to the race. I am happy for them, they're just kicking off their lives together and this money can make a true difference in their lives.

If there is any reason that I'm not happy about it, simply look at our averages. Of course it's difficult to know that we had the best average, that we never came close to elimination and yet, we have to settle for third. But that's just about the race performance and not about the people behind the performance.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »
How did I find this just now...

Hi Jen!!! :waves: Just wanna say that you and Kristi had an amazing run this season. I really wished you 2 had won. At least you 2 still did an amazing job representing the women with your run this season. Congratulations on being the first ever team in the franchise to never place below the top 3! :woohoo:

Here's a question: Can you give us your insights on the U-turn? Would you prefer having it before or after the detour? Do you have any idea of the reason behind putting the U-turn before the detour in recent seasons?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2018, 07:34:19 PM »
How did I find this just now...

Hi Jen!!! :waves: Just wanna say that you and Kristi had an amazing run this season. I really wished you 2 had won. At least you 2 still did an amazing job representing the women with your run this season. Congratulations on being the first ever team in the franchise to never place below the top 3! :woohoo:

Here's a question: Can you give us your insights on the U-turn? Would you prefer having it before or after the detour? Do you have any idea of the reason behind putting the U-turn before the detour in recent seasons?

Hi!! Glad you found it :) and thanks so much for the support!

I have no idea why they chose to place the U-Turn where it was. We all found the clue box before the u-turn board in Prague and production was popping out of bushes saying "don't open your clue," "you may not open your clue...." We were expecting it to be after a task or challenge of some kind. As a strong racer in the front of the pack, I was relieved to get it out of the way right off the bat. But in general, I would certainly prefer it to be after. Wouldn't have changed our strategy too much, but we would have thought about using it much more after running around trying to deliver beer for an hour than just coming straight off the plane with an hour lead. In Zimbabwe, it was fine where it was because we were separated by our performance from the Imire leg.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »
Jen, do you know how far were Indy behind you at the Hong Kong pitstop?
Checking the episode with the operation hours of the train and buses, it seems like all 3 teams finished within 00:00 - 01:00, while Indy car said they met Phil at 3:30am.

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
Jen, do you know how far were Indy behind you at the Hong Kong pitstop?
Checking the episode with the operation hours of the train and buses, it seems like all 3 teams finished within 00:00 - 01:00, while Indy car said they met Phil at 3:30am.

I don't know exactly. Kristi and I definitely finished around 1 a.m. They took us to a McDonalds and were hiding us away for at least an hour and a half. I think part of the reason they went to get the boys was because they were trying to hide both Indy and us from Yale and BB so that there was that surprise "reveal" moment at the airport. So, I'd say they were out there for minimum of another 1.5 hrs if not longer. We finally saw Indy arrive to the interview location when we were leaving our interview. Which had to have been at least 2.5 hours after we got to the mat. So, that 3:30 timeline could be accurate.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
That actually brings another question to me.

On TAR's first seasons we had the "eat, sleep and mingle with the other teams"

As of today, when you reach a pit stop, you don't see any of the other teams during the 12h stop?

Edit: thank you for the huge participation on this thread and congratulations to a strong finish. Hope you guys come back for an all stars season.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2018, 03:07:28 AM »
That actually brings another question to me.

On TAR's first seasons we had the "eat, sleep and mingle with the other teams"

As of today, when you reach a pit stop, you don't see any of the other teams during the 12h stop?

Edit: thank you for the huge participation on this thread and congratulations to a strong finish. Hope you guys come back for an all stars season.

Ooh! I have a follow-up question also regarding this.

When do teams "eat, sleep, and mingle with the other teams" and when are they hidden from all the other teams? In some episode of recent seasons, it's as if some teams know which particular team was eliminated. While in some other episodes, the teams ahead are just surprised to find out, usually at the airport, as to which team survived the previous leg. I thought it was inconsistent, but there might be a reason behind it?

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »
Ooh! I have a follow-up question also regarding this.

When do teams "eat, sleep, and mingle with the other teams" and when are they hidden from all the other teams? In some episode of recent seasons, it's as if some teams know which particular team was eliminated. While in some other episodes, the teams ahead are just surprised to find out, usually at the airport, as to which team survived the previous leg. I thought it was inconsistent, but there might be a reason behind it?

I think some teams know when they doing post race interview, especially back of the pack teams
Swarm stupidity