Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 6 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 1/31/18 8-9PM EST  (Read 27483 times)

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 30 EPISODE 6 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 1/31/18 8-9PM EST
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2018, 11:22:02 PM »
I liked the classroom detour

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2018, 12:05:00 AM »
I thought this was the 2nd best Leg and episode this season. Morocco is still #1.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »
WHY DO THEY CONTINUE TO PUT THE U-TURN, BEFORE THE DETOUR???  :crybabe:

It wasn't the best episode for the season, I have to say. I enjoyed the Detour and the Roadblock and that's it.

3.5/5 for me...

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2018, 12:16:27 AM »
My fear is that since they didn't listen to fans complaints about U-Turn before the Detour, they wont get rid of Head to Heads right before the Pit Stop...

I liked the leg for the most part.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2018, 12:32:50 AM »
Everyone go tweet relentlessly at CBS.

The U-Turn and the Head-to-Head both belong in the MIDDLE of the leg.

I mean, really...This is the first time I have EVER walked away from a (US) TAR episode feeling upset and dissatisfied. I think this officially just became my new least-favourite season.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2018, 02:31:37 AM »
Enjoyed the leg, especially the different tasks, though U-Turn board before any detour tasks are completed still a major issue. As I probably commented last season, I understand the logic, yet that's a horrible placement.

Other than that, it was a great leg.
Enjoyed that the more physical detour was longer, and the lecture one was mostly attention to detail, and potentially faster. That was very well designed, only if the U-Turn board was placed after the completion of the task, not before.

It be hilarious if the lecture task were mandatory, and WRP had cast a team with flat-earthers on the race.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:46:05 AM by NumfarPTB »

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2018, 04:49:40 AM »
What can I say this leg was quite amazing.
***SPOILERS BELOW***
FLIGHTS: If I'm not wrong this was the first time the entire season when there was a difference in flights. Still, it was quite nerve wrecking when the first thing teams did when they landed was access to the U-turn board :/

U-turn: It was fairly justified that nobody bothered U-turning anybody, except for controversial Jody. Oh Jody, how I wish you weren't as controversial as you are. Nonetheless Trevor and Chris didn't really deserve the U-turn.

Detour: A blind detour was really what the race was lacking. Quite frankly I had forgotten about blind detours but a blind detour coupled with a U-turn, now that's interesting. 'This' was a relatively easy task and I'm not going to complain; I actually liked the task  :beer: ! 'That' on the other hand reminded me of s21e8's roadblock on Russian time zones. Fun to see the educational sector come in ever so often and mess up the racers.

BEER SPA: there is definitely something going on with 'patrons' in this season. There was a wine drinking patron in Leg 5 and now patrons in a beer spa. Wonder whether this will have something to do with a task in the finale?

ROADBLOCK: It wasn't as much of a struggle as was for flight time in season 15. All the teams relatively did it well. Ooh, and drama!

WINNERS & LOSERS:
WINNER: Kristi and Jen - Yet another one reeled in by Kristi and Jen. Teams haven't perceived them as a threat yet but considering the fact that there are only 6 teams left now they are definitely a strong team to contend against. They've consistently maintained their position within the top 3 since leg 1, they are the only team who have won a leg twice this season and they're overwhelmingly skilled in the most random fields; I mean who knew that a professional ski athlete also worked at a brewery before? As a matter of fact, Jen and Trevor were the only ones who did the roadblock without taking help from other teams (not the first time this has happened!). Certainly a threat and I do hope they win this season!

WINNER: Daniel and Eric - They have very slyly taken over a spot in the top 3. 2 legs in the top 3 after spending 4 in the bottom 3, and these two don't even seem to be affected by this shift. Them and Chris and Trevor were the only ones who got the 'That' detour, even though these 2 winged it xD. Nonetheless a winning leg to these two.

LOSER: Alex and Conor - They didn't really lose per se but Alex was conned by Jessica. In an exchange of words for the roadblock, Jessica ran off and left Alex and Brittany to bite the dust. Of course Alex and Conor still ended up finishing before Jody, so I guess... they win?  Hoping for more drama from these two.

LOSER: Henry and Evan - They didn't really lose per se but Evan was quite feisty this leg, trying to instigate a fight. However, Henry didn't reciprocate it and they had a normal leg overall. Evan used her diplomacy to work with Daniel and they lucked out. They too are a threat to contend against, but not that much of a force to be reckoned with.

LOSER: Brittany and Lucas AND Jessica and Cody  - Their detour(s) went disastrous. After a failed attempt at 'That', the duo immediately switched to 'This' and while they finished the first part of the challenge quickly, they spent over an hour navigating for their clue. Upon that, they were about to fight all over again, but they worked it out on the spot. Not shabby. But the cherry on top was when Brittany was screwed off by Jessica. Jody have now developed a target on the back, granted that Jessica has lent her "kindness of strangers" spirit to Brittany twice and conned her BOTH the times. Obviously U-turn comin' their way~~ Jessica and Cody didn't have the smoothest run either. They departed on a later flight and, ended up U-turning Trevor and Chris, entered the wrong lecture hall in 'That' and switched over to 'This', screwed 2 people over in a roadblock, couldn't find a cab and ended up getting 6th place by the skin of their neck.

WINNER: Trevor and Chris - I mean sure, they did get eliminated, but they left with grace. They were U-turned under the statue of someone who's composition they've covered before, in some poetic justice manner. They executed both sides of the detour with poise. They ran a strong leg and would have actually survived if they hadn't been U-turned. Trevor and Jen were the only ones who did the roadblock by themselves. I don't know, I guess, they left and I don't feel bad. There's something about the 7th placers - Vanck and Ashton, Scott and Blair, Jeff and Jackie, Shelley and Nici, Pam and Winnie, Rob and Kelley, etc.
You found them fun for their run on the race but you don't feel bad about them going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NEXT WEEK: another 2 hour long episode D: They're revisiting Zimbabwe, another U-Turn, switching partners?!   

CocoNuts

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2018, 04:50:37 AM »
Am I the ONLY ONE that heard Kristi & Jen say they liked the U-Turn first? Stop being so selfish they have to make it good for the racers not just viewers!!! Elise & Bertram can't make say 48 incredible tasks and another 24 incredible concepts!!! What if there was a concert later in the day??? Its alot harder than just picking places and creating tasks!

This season is my second favorite of the 20-30 era! I had one problem with this season, EDITING!!! But that's gonna happen we see it in all shows! Take Masterchef! It aint until top ten we get to know everyone.

IDK how you complain about this season! 8 legs, 4 countries with one visit revisited!

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2018, 06:11:58 AM »
Count me among those who can't stand the u-turn before the detour. This was just an extremely poorly designed leg. Not only was this the first leg that didn't have an airport or hours of operation bunch, but teams were immediately booked on one of two flights based on their arrival last leg. So that basically guarantees someone on the second flight is going to get screwed. And then you have the u-turn first thing out of the airport instead of making teams have to earn the right to use it.

Cody and Jessica were probably the slowest team of all remaining to complete the detour, except maybe the lifeguards (due to switching), yet still got to use it. Just a very unfair leg for the violinists, who seemed like very nice guys and took it in stride.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2018, 06:24:19 AM »
Am I the ONLY ONE that heard Kristi & Jen say they liked the U-Turn first? Stop being so selfish they have to make it good for the racers not just viewers!!! Elise & Bertram can't make say 48 incredible tasks and another 24 incredible concepts!!! What if there was a concert later in the day??? Its alot harder than just picking places and creating tasks!

I don't understand what you're talking about, but I can sum up my feelings quite easily.

The U-Turn no longer feels survivable.

It's a gunshot to the head. Bang. You're dead. The last four teams that got eliminated via U-Turn, I never once believed they had a chance to catch up.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2018, 07:37:11 AM »

I don't understand what you're talking about, but I can sum up my feelings quite easily.

The U-Turn no longer feels survivable.

It's a gunshot to the head. Bang. You're dead. The last four teams that got eliminated via U-Turn, I never once believed they had a chance to catch up.

I agree that the U-Turn before the detour was a bad choice but I wouldn't say it's unsurvivable. Maybe it's just editing but Trevor and Chris caught up pretty well. Seth and Olive did too (again though it might be editing). Matt and Redmond not only survived their U-Turn, but they beat several teams that weren't U-Turned. Logan and Chris survived their U-Turn placed before the detour, and what's more is that it was a single U-Turn—only team to ever survive the single U-Turn. Mike and Liz couldn't survive because they were so far back, so the placement of the U-Turn wouldn't have affected that, so even if the U-Turn had been placed after the detour and they beat Becca and Floyd at the detour, then Becca and Floyd wouldn't have been able to survive. Vanck and Ashton were going to be targeted by everyone nonetheless and from what I recall, they didn't pull off a strong detour anyways like Trevor and Chris did, and they weren't in the first departure groups, so they weren't going to survive either.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:40:50 AM by nrh2110 »

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
Leg 6

Had all teams been on the same flight and two teams U-Turned, this could have been the best leg of the season. The fact that four teams were a hour ahead and only one team U-Turned drew out much of the suspense. There is no incentive for teams to U-Turn when they know three teams are an hour behind.

Love the building story between Jessica & Brittany. Hoping it comes to fruition in Zimbabwe.

The return of This or That :funny:

Find it hilarious Phil points out FT&BE made him wait all night :funny:

This: Love that there were so many elements to this task. Physical, technical, and navigation. Even though the boat was a few blocks away, the address was vague enough to throw off many teams.
That: On the other hand, we have an intellectual task with so many small details and facts to remember.
FRANZ: I knew we would not get the same outcome as Big Easy, but it was still a difficult and fun task to watch. It was very easy to confuse one of the eight words and seemed harder that five letters.

The difficult tasks do help bolster this leg for me but the fact that many of the teams were never in danger bothers me.

2.5/5

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »

LOSER: Brittany and Lucas AND Jessica and Cody  - Their detour(s) went disastrous. After a failed attempt at 'That', the duo immediately switched to 'This' and while they finished the first part of the challenge quickly, they spent over an hour navigating for their clue. Upon that, they were about to fight all over again, but they worked it out on the spot. Not shabby. But the cherry on top was when Brittany was screwed off by Jessica. Jody have now developed a target on the back, granted that Jessica has lent her "kindness of strangers" spirit to Brittany twice and conned her BOTH the times. Obviously U-turn comin' their way~~ Jessica and Cody didn't have the smoothest run either. They departed on a later flight and, ended up U-turning Trevor and Chris, entered the wrong lecture hall in 'That' and switched over to 'This', screwed 2 people over in a roadblock, couldn't find a cab and ended up getting 6th place by the skin of their neck.

I wouldn't say they screwed people over, they had a bad taxi driver at one point getting to the lecture hall and then finding the park, they used the u-turn which is what it's there for, and they didn't give the full answer at the roadblock to others (well it's meant to be teams racing against each other).  The incident on an earlier leg that Brittany complained about was all her own fault.  If the editors are trying to build them up as villains they are doing a poor job of it.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2018, 08:51:47 AM »
This episode was OK, first of all I HATE that the u-turn is BEFORE the detour and not AFTER it nowadays. It leads no suspense to the teams when they race, because they know to do both detours.

Plus it was done after split flights, so some teams never had to worry anyway.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
In response to Kristi and Jen saying they liked the U-Turn spot during the leg: if I was racing that leg and was on the first flight I'd quite like where it was at that moment too  :funny:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2018, 12:36:37 PM »
Finally caught up.

Great leg, only to be ruined by a "misplaced" W-turn. The one in Greece last season was okay. You had teams driving several miles to it, so some teams would get lost or have issues on the road.

The first W-turn this season was terribly misplaced, like the one in Tanzania last season. It was only a matter of cab races.  :furious:

The U-turn before the detour would work if there is something challenging before it, like a roadblock-->U-turn-->detour format, or a long self-driving before the U-turn. A U-turn at the very start of the leg is terrible.

Trevor & Chris did well. They probably could've gotten their favorite placement, 4th. Alas, the W-turn just finished them off. Oh the irony too.

Is it just me, or is Cody & Jessica becoming the antagonists? They would've been eliminated had it not been their cab from airport to the W-turn. Their performance this leg was terrible, but they got lucky to still be in this. Can't say I hate them despite them being villains. What they did was smart and within the game's rules. From a different point of view, they're most likely hate-able.

Switchback with significantly more teams around!

Full review some time in the future.

If anybody part of the TAR team is reading this, the U-turn before the detour is not always a bad idea, but the one this leg could've been placed better.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
Coincidentally, everybody before Brittany & Lucas shifted one placement up from the previous leg's while they fell to 5th, and those after them still had the same placement from previously.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »
I think switching up U-Turn placement is fine to keep teams on their toes. But I think it's a little like the Face Off/Head-to-Head.
There should be at least one Route Marker or task before the U-Turn, not immediately the first thing when they arrive in the city. And then there should be at least one significant task or two after the Detour. Giving teams a chance to catch up isn't a bad thing. It should actually help foster more competition and drama. Who doesn't want to see a U-Turned team catch up to the ones who U-Turned them at a final task or something? Or even a Race to the Mat.

Instead, it's like TAR wants the U-Turn to eliminate a team.

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »
I think there was one route info before the U-Turn but it got edited out...We don't know where the Hotel route info falls. It's the first place they were spotted in Prague, so my guess would be they had to get a clue at the hotel first, then the U-Turn board.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
Wonder why that got edited out though..

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »

Is it just me, or is Cody & Jessica becoming the antagonists? They would've been eliminated had it not been their cab from airport to the W-turn. Their performance this leg was terrible, but they got lucky to still be in this. Can't say I hate them despite them being villains. What they did was smart and within the game's rules. From a different point of view, they're most likely hate-able.

They are being pushed as antagonists to Brittany who said she got deceived before, but I actually like team BB more than them.

They got an ok taxi at the start, though the plane split seemed to be set by position from the previous leg and the later taxis weren't good (like the one to the wrong lecture hall).  Why can't they drive around themselves in some places like this, the roads aren't that bad there I expect.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
TPTB frequently edit out any initial route marker in a way that makes it invisible. One learns to expect such things as a matter of course. For example, editing could have easily edited out having to go to the beer baths that sent teams to the roadblock, and make it appear that the prior route marker did so. Wouldn’t have been hard either!
-- theschnauzers

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
TPTB frequently edit out any initial route marker in a way that makes it invisible. One learns to expect such things as a matter of course. For example, editing could have easily edited out having to go to the beer baths that sent teams to the roadblock, and make it appear that the prior route marker did so. Wouldn’t have been hard either!
They are now being more professional to edit things out, not like the early seasons like a team holding a roadblock clue on hand with roadblock being editted out  :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
I think there was one route info before the U-Turn but it got edited out...We don't know where the Hotel route info falls. It's the first place they were spotted in Prague, so my guess would be they had to get a clue at the hotel first, then the U-Turn board.

The Hotel (edited out) was the clue that told them to go to the Mat and Phil.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
Thankfully, it wasn't fully edited out. At 38:52, Jessica & Cody were seen outside the hotel getting a cab to the Pit Stop.