Author Topic: Ratings  (Read 40599 times)

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Ratings
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »
6.8 million viewers, but to answer your other question, viewers are not important. Commercial ad rates are set based on the 18-49 rating, which is the 1.5 number I brought over. Viewers are purely for bragging rights among networks (such as the press releases that are posted), but doesn't really factor into anything.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »
This is from last week's episode (episode 2) but in the weekly ratings, TAR was tied for 17th in 18-49 viewers and 21st in overall viewers. Aside from football, TAR was CBS's 5th highest rated show of the week for 18-49 viewers. Fantastic!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/weekly-ratings/week-16-broadcast-top-25-and-network-rankings-jan-8-14-2018/

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
This is what TV Line included in its article on Wednesday’s overnights just now:

CBS | The Amazing Race (6.8 mil/1.5) drew Wednesday’s biggest audience while ticking up in the demo. SEAL Team (6.6 mil/1.1) rose two tenths, Criminal Minds (5.6 mil/1.0) was flat.

I just think this bodes well for TAR keeping the time slot going forward. We’ll see what the later time does to this in February.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
6.8 million viewers, but to answer your other question, viewers are not important. Commercial ad rates are set based on the 18-49 rating, which is the 1.5 number I brought over. Viewers are purely for bragging rights among networks (such as the press releases that are posted), but doesn't really factor into anything.

Viewers are important. That’s why CBS invests in measuring alternate platforms since so many viewers are watching through the app, online streaming services, and other forms of time shifted viewing.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »

Viewers are important. That’s why CBS invests in measuring alternate platforms since so many viewers are watching through the app, online streaming services, and other forms of time shifted viewing.

You are correct, but none of those are reflected in the 6.8 million figure that watched last night, which is why I said the overnight viewers rating is fairly meaningless. Streaming the show on cbs all access is the best way to support the show, since that is easily trackable by CBS. They only get your cable view if you are a Nielsen house. In the overnight rating that is reported every Thursday morning, only the 18-49 number matters.

Offline ghostbusted

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »
Slightly OT but I am curious about TiVo and other DVRs. Since all TiVos communicate with TiVo central, I would think it would be easy to get the number of season passes for TAR and maybe even viewings.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
Ease of getting the data isn't really the issue. Companies could no doubt monitor what we watch with today's technology. Privacy laws are the real culprit. Nielsen homes sign away their privacy rights, which is why they estimate for all homes based on Nielsen houses. I'm not that familiar with Tivo's processes to say if they are able to share their data like that though, so maybe.

Offline dangambler

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
Slightly OT but I am curious about TiVo and other DVRs. Since all TiVos communicate with TiVo central, I would think it would be easy to get the number of season passes for TAR and maybe even viewings.

I know episode 1 the total viewers with dvr was posted in this thread and I believe were 8.7 m

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
Ease of getting the data isn't really the issue. Companies could no doubt monitor what we watch with today's technology. Privacy laws are the real culprit. Nielsen homes sign away their privacy rights, which is why they estimate for all homes based on Nielsen houses. I'm not that familiar with Tivo's processes to say if they are able to share their data like that though, so maybe.

Privacy laws generally apply to government and commercial provisions are governed by contract. TiVo and other providers can and do have announced policies that permits aggregation of data such as viewing audiences for shows and networks they carry. Most people may have opted out of privacy constraints without realizing it.
-- theschnauzers

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/this-is-us-ties-big-bang-theory-in-week-16-broadcast-live-3-ratings/

The Amazing Race episode 2 went up from 1.4 to 1.9 in +3 DVR ratings. They didn't make the top 25 in total viewers so that is unavailable

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/this-is-us-ties-big-bang-theory-in-week-16-broadcast-live-3-ratings/

The Amazing Race episode 2 went up from 1.4 to 1.9 in +3 DVR ratings. They didn't make the top 25 in total viewers so that is unavailable

We can surmise, though, that it’s somewhere between 7 and 8.5 million, since the overnights were at about 7 million, and the 25th ranked show was about 8,5 million.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
DO you all know how YOU can help ratings?

DVR the show! Then within 3 days, watch it!

OR...at least let it run on mute. Do it once, then repeat as often as you can! The more the better!

GO to the free CBS site and do the same online: WATCH The episodes! Or stream them sound off but do it as much as possible.

GET the CBS ALL ACCESS free7-day  trial or subscribe and USE it! Same as above, the more the better.

If we ALL do this our #'s should increase.

WE NEED THIS! SO US VIEWERS PLEASE HELP!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »
CBS is touting winning viewers. ABC is touting Goldbergs winning the 18-49 demo. They are both very carefully worded press releases. The Goldbergs won it's half hour over Race, but TAR won the hour since the 830 ABC comedy dropped.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2018, 10:12:08 PM »
This seems a little different than what was said above, but it's clear it was another good ratings week for TAR. TAR was tied for 15th in the 18-49 viewers with a 1.5 rating. This was 4th best among all CBS shows. In overall viewers, TAR was 20th with 6.897 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/weekly-ratings/week-17-broadcast-top-25-and-network-rankings-jan-15-21-2018/

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2018, 11:22:53 PM »
What needs to be pointed out, after looking at all three articles, is that none of them have live plus three data included; TAR gain .5 in the demo in week 2 just from the "plus three" and there's no reason to think there will be something similar once those numbers are out.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
1.3 for episode 4, 1.1 for episode 5. A slightly worrying downturn since there wasn't any competition last night as the Olympics haven't started yet. We'll see if the return to a 1 hour episode helps next week.

Ratings source: showbuzz daily

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »
A little more detail to see the trend over the 2 hours, courtesy of Programming Insider:

8pm: Viewers: 6.79 million (#1), Adults 18-49: 1.3/5 (#2) Adults 18-34: 0.8/4 (#1)
8:30: Viewers: 6.62 million (#1), Adults 18-49: 1.3/5 (#1) Adults 18-34: 0.8/4 (#1)
9pm: Viewers: 5.79 million (#2), Adults 18-49: 1.1/4 (#2) Adults 18-34: 0.7/4 (#2)
9:30: Viewers: 5.36 million (#2), Adults 18-49: 1.0/4 (#3) Adults 18-34: 0.6/3 (#2)

The trend is definitely worrisome. And not only because of the Olympics, but when the show moves to 9-11pm. Those will be interesting numbers. Either people didn't know it was 2-hours or they just simply tuned out.

On that note though, I didn't watch live, but they appeared to have gone immediately straight from Leg 4 to the start of Leg 5, no breaks right? No usual "Stay tuned for the 2nd hour of The Amazing Race..." with a commercial break at the top of the hour.  So I guess that would've helped alert live viewers that there was another episode/Leg/hour. Also helps with DVR as well since it was listed as a single 2-hour episode unlike last year when the doubled up episodes were edited as normal one-hour episodes and completely separate in TV listings.

Also, Fox's 9-1-1 is strong, but on par with the ABC comedy competition at 8pm which might share more audience than 9-1-1. But also, no new SVU on NBC at 9pm though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:12:05 AM by dryedmangoez »

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
Here is how the 18-49 demographics appear as percentage of improvement to last 4 seasons moving average (blue) and to TAR 29 (red).  The improvement over TAR 29 is still encouraging and the moving average is on track.  The moving average for Episode 6 is 1.04 and Episode 7 is 1.03.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:24:29 AM by Piper »

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
I don't think they could've edited this any better to alert the viewers about the 2nd hour.
There were no credits, it just jumped straight into another episode. If you were interested in the show, you would've continued watching.

Seeing how much negativity both Face-Offs have amassed, I would say the task is probably the reason why many people tuned out. It's even annoying to watch for a big fan like me, and when I say annoying, I don't mean it in an exaggerated way.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2018, 05:26:29 PM »
I don't think they could've edited this any better to alert the viewers about the 2nd hour.
There were no credits, it just jumped straight into another episode. If you were interested in the show, you would've continued watching.

Seeing how much negativity both Face-Offs have amassed, I would say the task is probably the reason why many people tuned out. It's even annoying to watch for a big fan like me, and when I say annoying, I don't mean it in an exaggerated way.

Yes. Hopefully this is the only US season that uses it, and then they leave it to the versions that do it right: in the middle of the leg with a small time penalty.

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/week-16-broadcast-live-7-ratings-jan-8-14-2018/

DVR +7 ratings are out. Episode 2 went from 1.4 to 1.9 for +3 but went to 2.1 for +7

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2018, 06:56:14 AM »
If the ratings of the premiere episode keep steady, I would have high hopes for that!

Besides, it's airing so early this year that there's plenty of time to shoot/edit a season for Autumn.
But I prefer TAR US doubling each legs to 2 episodes or increasing each leg to 90 minutes rather than two seasons per year, and no disaster like TAR 26 leg 1 again!

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
Americans are just used to 1 hour timeslots, I'd love episodes at 90 minutes myself, longer episodes give more chance to develop tension in situations and characters.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:10 AM »
1.2 rating last night, another slight trickle down from last week's 8pm episode. (Per showbuzz daily)

Will be interesting to see the 9 pm ratings next week, coming out of big brother. The ratings the final 2 weeks against the Olympics will almost certainly be lower.