Author Topic: Ratings  (Read 40609 times)

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: Ratings
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
This is great news!  :xmas146 Let's hope TAR30 can keep rating this high!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »
I'm not saying they had no influence at all, but to call them the only factors is plain unreasonable.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
Keeps getting BETTER!

The Amazing Race spent last spring on the bubble, but the Emmy-winning reality veteran proved its worth last night. The 3oth season premiere of the globe-trotting competition (1.6) delivered its largest premiere audience and best key demos delivery since Cycle 23 on September 29, 2013. CBS’ scheduling decision to slot Amazing Race as a bridge between the two cycles of Survivor is paying off. The show recently aired on Thursday and Friday following a long Sunday run. Compared to the Season 29 premiere on a Thursday, The Amazing Race last night was up 70% in viewers and 78% in the demo and was Wednesday’s No. 1 program in total viewers.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/9-1-1-ratings-series-premiere-x-files-amazing-race-1202235485/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 09:27:46 AM »
Succeeding Amazing Race seasons should have a team or teams with a huge following or fanbase mix that with a regular cast. The timeslot is also good at this time making it a more family-timeslot. Hoping that the Race continues on with higher ratings for both viewership and dvr's

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
Final ratings are out and TAR stayed the same. Wow

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
Final ratings are out and TAR stayed the same. Wow

Still, just the fact that no premiere has been this high since Season 23, and no episode overall has cracked 7 million since Season 24...feeling great about the odds of renewal already!

CocoNuts

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
It is not only Jody bringing in the higher viewings... We do have very famous eaters, very famous car drivers, NBA all-stars, well BB legends, and X-Game champions. There r truly contestants that every audience should know!

People were bickering about recruits but if there r good recruits, views go up!

Offline dangambler

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
It is not only Jody bringing in the higher viewings... We do have very famous eaters, very famous car drivers, NBA all-stars, well BB legends, and X-Game champions. There r truly contestants that every audience should know!

Ok so I see people continue to repeat this fallacy that it’s the time slot.. or it’s the other racers who are more widely known. Let me break this down for you folks simply..

1. Time Slot: Amazing Race would not have this time slot of not for Jess and Cody. It’s obvious enough from comments Phil and Cody have made, as well as the slotting of TAR after Celeb B.B. once it starts. Jess and Cody had maybe the biggest % of the fan base since Dr Will and Janelle way back over a decade ago, so it’s not crazy that they’re trying to capture this audience.

2. This leads to the next point, yes Shawn Marion, Joey Chestnut, or even Alex Rossi are more nationally/globally known... and that means nothing. Why? Because their fans aren’t necessarily 1. Hyper obsessed with following their every move 2. The target market of tv viewers who would watch this type of show.

To further prove this point... if you take a look at the intro videos on Amazing Race’s YouTube channel you will see Jess and Cody’s has over 10x the views of any other team, which destroys the argument that the others who are more known are why people are watching... to go further, Jess and Cody’s video is the most watched video on TAR’a YouTube channel... EVER. 3 times more views than the nearest which was 4 years ago.

So. I hope that settles this petty debate and we can now enjoy the show and the fabulous ratings, and likely renewal thanks to Jess and Cody and their fan base. #yourewelcome
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:45:48 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »
Only a pareto of the ratings week over week could indicate a BB couple impact, and if it is sustained.  It's my understanding that it takes only one minute of viewing to be captured in ratings.  So a viewer could have watched the start or the middle or the end, be counted as a viewer and then click on to something else. Too many variables to accurately measure. 

It's one of those instances when it's just best to remember the sun will rise each morning regardless.  And we want the sun to rise on TAR for many more seasons!

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »

Ok so I see people continue to repeat this fallacy that it’s the time slot.. or it’s the other racers who are more widely known. Let me break this down for you folks simply..

1. Time Slot: Amazing Race would not have this time slot of not for Jess and Cody. It’s obvious enough from comments Phil and Cody have made, as well as the slotting of TAR after Celeb B.B. once it starts. Jess and Cody had maybe the biggest % of the fan base since Dr Will and Janelle way back over a decade ago, so it’s not crazy that they’re trying to capture this audience.

2. This leads to the next point, yes Shawn Marion, Joey Chestnut, or even Alex Rossi are more nationally/globally known... and that means nothing. Why? Because their fans aren’t necessarily 1. Hyper obsessed with following their every move 2. The target market of tv viewers who would watch this type of show.

To further prove this point... if you take a look at the intro videos on Amazing Race’s YouTube channel you will see Jess and Cody’s has over 10x the views of any other team, which destroys the argument that the others who are more known are why people are watching... to go further, Jess and Cody’s video is the most watched video on TAR’a YouTube channel... EVER. 3 times more views than the nearest which was 4 years ago.

So. I hope that settles this petty debate and we can now enjoy the show and the fabulous ratings, and likely renewal thanks to Jess and Cody and their fan base. #yourewelcome

I think most everyone was fine with settling it before your post?

Jess and Cody are a big factor in the ratings- I don't think anyone is denying that.  Furthermore, I think you've incorrectly inferred what others were saying- not that others had more fans than Jess and Cody, but that they had large fan bases TOO.

In regards to Jess and Cody being THE reason TAR got that time slot: their inclusion on the race probably added to the pitch to put it there, but to say that they were the only reason we're there is completely unfounded, and can't really be proven unless someone from the governing body that dictates the schedule directly says so.  Even still, we can't go back in time and remove them to see if removing that factor would've changed the scheduling decision.

#yourenotjessorcody #iwillthankthemfortheircontributions #thesamewiththerestofthecast

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
Again, it's pretty amazing that all Jess and Cody fans are also Nielsen homes! Now that's amazing!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
 :cmaslol

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 11:52:52 PM »
I don’t think it is a coincidence that the current time slot is TAR’s original time slot. CBS now views that time as their best time slot for reality tv on CBS, and the sheer growth for TAR back in its original time slot is in and of itself proof of that.
Interesting note for the Jody fans, JSYK. There’s a YT video up that they made after returning from filming where they primarily discuss how and what they packed. While Jess confirms she only had time to watch the three most immediate seasons in that week before they left, Cody mentions that he and his family watch the first several seasons of TAR at the time. So he was familiar with the original rules, but packing never changed and that they did well. Point being, Cody was on of those original TARfans Who watch those early seasons in this very time slot. Maybe part of the point here was CBS should have left TAR in this time slot to begin with.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 06:53:04 AM »
I mean, it's not like things started going bad once it moved to Sundays...

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »
The ratings are further good on the time slot and even Jody fans are outstanding with praise.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
Only a pareto of the ratings week over week could indicate a BB couple impact, and if it is sustained.  It's my understanding that it takes only one minute of viewing to be captured in ratings.  So a viewer could have watched the start or the middle or the end, be counted as a viewer and then click on to something else. Too many variables to accurately measure. 

It's one of those instances when it's just best to remember the sun will rise each morning regardless.  And we want the sun to rise on TAR for many more seasons!

I believe the official timeframe is 6 minutes of uninterrupted viewing to be included in the ratings.

It's silly we have to keep arguing on what caused the ratings uptick, instead of just agreeing it was a combination of all of the above. The fact remains that January is the ideal time for tv shows, as nearly all shows on the broadcast networks saw season highs last week. People are indoors watching tv in January, much less so in april-june. And the 8 pm slot is a huge help, compared to last year's awful time slot. And yes, it's likely the Big brother team had an effect as well. Let's all just be happy it showed some ratings growth, something that few shows ever get to experience once the downward slide starts.

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »
The premiere episode for The Amazing Race was the 12th most watched show this week

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
Slight correction, TAR was tied for 11th in terms of 18-49 rating (it has slightly less 18-49 viewers that Ghosted which puts it at 12th in terms of viewers) and 17th in terms of overall viewers for the week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/weekly-ratings/week-15-broadcast-top-25-and-network-rankings-jan-1-7-2018/

However, to put that in perspective, the last time TAR had both weekly rankings that high (to my knowledge) was the Berlin episode of TAR 22 (18-49: 10th, overall: 14th).  :cmas9

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 06:38:54 AM »
CBS PRESS:

“THE AMAZING RACE” DASHES TO LARGEST PREMIERE AUDIENCE SINCE SEPTEMBER 2013

30TH SEASON PREMIERE UP WHOPPING +70% IN VIEWERS,

+62% IN A25-54 AND +78% IN A18-49 FROM LAST SEASON

On a heavily competitive night with several premieres, the 30th season premiere of THE AMAZING RACE returned with its largest premiere audience and best key demos delivery since THE AMAZING RACE 23 on Sept. 29, 2013. Compared to the season 29 premiere on March 30, 2017, THE AMAZING RACE is up in viewers (+70%, 7.31 mil from 4.30 mil), A25-54 (+62%, 2.1 from 1.3) and A18-49 (+78%, 1.6 from 0.9), winning the 8PM hour in these measures. THE AMAZING RACE was Wednesday's #1 program in viewers.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Lexie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
While I realize that Jody fans all over the world would like to attribute the high ratings to Jody, I'm more inclined to think the great ratings are due to the new time slot.  As inconceivable as it is for Jody fans to comprehend, there are many of us out there that do NOT like Jody (for me it would be Jessica) but will continue to watch TAR.  So yes, while I have never missed an episode of TAR in 29 seasons, I am watching this season and it has absolutely zilch to do with Jody. TBH, my TAR viewing experience would be enhanced if Jessica wasn't on the show. 

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »
Oops, the matrix needed some work.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:13:33 PM by Piper »

Offline jb542

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »
Does anyone think that CBS will put TAR back on twice a year if their ratings hold up?

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 03:55:23 PM »
If the ratings of the premiere episode keep steady, I would have high hopes for that!

Besides, it's airing so early this year that there's plenty of time to shoot/edit a season for Autumn.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
Those TAR27 figures can't be right, they inadvertently used 29's numbers. It was on Friday and I think may have gotten a 1.1(ish).

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
Those TAR27 figures can't be right, they inadvertently used 29's numbers. It was on Friday and I think may have gotten a 1.1(ish).
I believe the press release said TAR 29.
-- theschnauzers