Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 1 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 1/3/18 8PM EST *read Post 1*  (Read 23561 times)

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah, like others have said, the editing wasn't that good, but I'm quite used to bad editing in first legs so it doesn't effect me as much. I really liked the accented O trick in the roadblock. I don't hate anyone yet which is great. Overall I thought it was alright with some good parts, which is good as I didn't like the 26-28 first episodes so i'll take it.
My main gripe is not showing who got on what flight or even mentioning there were 2 flights. Idk why the show doesn't focus on finding/getting flights anymore :(

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
I wish they’d just make the premiere 1 1/2 hours

I think it’d fix a lot of the editing problems people are sighting- especially with it feeling rushed

With those extra 20 mins of actual airtime, they could’ve explained flights more, spent more time on teams so we can get to know them, showcase the country/landscape more, give some more time to the tasks

I agree that first legs are usually kinda meh, so I thought this one was good considering that fact

That final run to the mat was INTENSE

Watching the episode, I’m kinda bummed that the ring girls were out first- don’t know if they’d make it too much further, but I liked them more than the other two they were competing against at the end

This season looks CRAZY though! I really hope these twists come out well

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
Had to give-up on the stream last night, as it was lagging so much. Glad there were episode up in torrent trackers fairly quickly when I woke-up.

Like most initial episodes from a season, it really needed an extra 15-20 minutes of actual episode time. When was the last time we had that happen. 5-6 years ago?
The lack of information about teams being split in two flights, would have helped to explain better the initial spread of the teams. It reminds me of how sometimes we uncover so much more info during lives, that just get edited out.

That was a nerve-wrecking final moment, and even though the leg was gorgeous, expected it be a bit more competitive, considering how strongly they been pushing that narrative in the marketing of the season.

Rather curious how the new twists will play out, especially considering we have 4 double episode weeks scheduled for the season.

Offline Snausages

• RFF Not So Newbie
Ugh, another season of already semi-famous people I couldn't care less about? At least there were some normal teams this time

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective

Like most initial episodes from a season, it really needed an extra 15-20 minutes of actual episode time. When was the last time we had that happen. 5-6 years ago?
The lack of information about teams being split in two flights, would have helped to explain better the initial spread of the teams. It reminds me of how sometimes we uncover so much more info during lives, that just get edited out.

We know from spoilers that teams were split into two flights. Totally agree that is something very good to see though.

I know that the Eaters, Models, Violinists, Basketball were on the Delta flight. There may have been one more that went thru security before I arrived.

Racers have confirmed elsewhere the two flights that "split us in half" and that and" the First Flight had so much delay that they ended up Landing close to the same time anyway."
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
New here, but anyway, Jessica and Cody were live on the TV Party App during the east coast airing. Jessica said that the bags were given to them by production with gloves, hats, etc.

:hello2: and :wel2 to RFF, Jro!

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
I agree with all of you that the premier should have been 1 hour at least. We haven't seen almost anything from the challenges except the ones getting trouble.

I would have loved to be a NEL, because that way it's impossible to know so much the first team out. And that final foot-race... intense but sad for the girls, just by one second. :(
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
From now on, I'll be writing reviews of each episode for this season.

After several months of not watching TAR, I'm glad it's back. The theme of the season involving the best people in their fields may be unobvious at first, but it gives off a very competitive vibe for the season. I like the cast as it is very diverse. From the first episode, TAR's tagline for this season being the most competitive season yet shows how true this can be.

Destination: Reykjavik, Iceland
TAR's first destination for this season was an interesting choice. Iceland hasn't been visited for 24 seasons, and it was only visited once for one leg prior to this. The rural mountainside scenery of Iceland looks breathtaking. The first task allowed teams to see the beauty of Iceland. After all, the race is not only a competition, but also an opportunity to travel around the world for free. I think it's important to appreciate the surroundings of foreign places when traveling. Meanwhile, it's nice to have teams travel to the urban side of Reykjavik on the same leg. They can appreciate Iceland by seeing both its rural and urban areas.

Culture:
Besides the surroundings, the culture of the land is also an important thing to appreciate while traveling to foreign places. During the episode, we've seen how the roadblock has a clue stand made of ice. Even the objects used in the roadblock are made of ice. We don't see this in every corner of the world, so it's nice to have these icy objects shown and used during the episode. It reflects the materials the nation uses. It is living up to its name! Upon reaching the urban side of Reykjavik, we got to see a glimmer of Iceland's history with vikings and the modern culture about them lifting weights competitively. I like how TAR showed this while also showing the scenery of rural Iceland on the same episode.

Active Route Info 1:
One team member has to scale through a wire hanging above two cliffs then retrieve a small flag of Iceland, while the other has to assist his or her teammate scaling through the wire for this task. Having teams go to the rural side of Iceland for a task like this gives them the opportunity to see the beauty of the land. Traveling around the place by car can show them some scenery, but one above and between two mountains is not something that can be seen at any given time. Aside from the focus on scenery, the task is a heights task. It's an opportunity for some racers to face their fears. For all racers, it is an opportunity to have a better view of Iceland's beauty.

Roadblock:
The task of arranging letters in a certain order from memory is a simple task fitting the difficulty of the first leg. The racers not only had to remember the letters scattered around the course randomly but also the numbers with them. They have to memorize two different things in pairs. Having eleven of them was not too easy yet not too hard. Aside from memory, attention to detail was secretly needed for the task as well. The accented ó and the regular o showed how some racers had difficulty in completing the task immediately. It is a nice trick by the task designer to have a small detail like that matter so much. Required skills aside, the task also has an obstacle during the memorization part of it. The splashing water made it distracting for racers to see what they have to remember. Although, traveling around the river in a buggy while getting splashed is a nice immersion to the location. The task wasn't too difficult for the first leg, yet it wasn't too easy to be linear. Teams shuffling placements from this task proved its difficulty.

Active Route Info 2:
With the theme of the season being people who are the best in their fields, showing vikings and telling viewers that they are competitive weightlifters not only fit the theme but also showed history and culture of Icelandic vikings. Teams having to ask around for the answers of the two questions required social skills, unless they have it as stock knowledge. The task was simple, considering that there were earlier tasks in the leg that were more difficult.

Pit Stop:
The pit stop location showed the scenery of the lake surrounded by the city, which is a nice scenery. Having Miss Iceland as pit stop greeter was a cool bonus.

Overall Leg Design:
With teams driving to the rural then to the urban sides of Reykjavik by themselves, they need directions to get around the place. Having a scenery appreciation task, a mental roadblock that was moderate in difficulty, and another task that showed Iceland's modern culture, I think the leg was designed well enough to be fairly difficult for the first leg. There were first legs in other seasons that were designed better than this, but considering that there were also those that were poorly designed, I'd consider this as decent. We have two easy tasks, one moderate roadblock, and self-driving for the first leg. Not bad already!

Title Quote:
"You're a Champion, Prove It" fit the theme of the season very well. Having this title for a premiere was cool and fitting. It wasn't too simple and boring as well. I can see the quote as inspirational too somehow. It shows how champions can't just quit easily. They have to show the world that they deserve the title.

Editing:
~Editing is responsible in showing the detailed content of the show. I think the editing for the episode needs improvement. First off, six teams were introduced before the start of the race while the other five were introduced after. Viewers would wonder who the other five teams are. Little to nothing was known about them when the race started. I'd prefer teams to all be introduced before the start of the race. That way, it'll be easier to recognize them when they are shown on the starting line.
~Skipping most of the second route info and the travel between that and the roadblock made viewers like me wonder how and why certain teams switched placements. One moment we see a team finish the roadblock. The next moment that team just appears on the pit stop. Even though it is implied that the team finished the task, not showing it made the progress of some teams messy. I was just surprised to see some teams reach the pit stop immediately, specifically those who weren't shown doing the second active route info.
~Having teams socialize during the airport like in older seasons would've been nice for viewers to learn more from the teams. Some teams can barely be remembered given their short appearances throughout the episode.
~Despite these editing issues, the footrace to the finish was edited really well. We see a montage of the last two teams walking and running to the pit stop, as well as their progresses on the last task. From these, we got to see how both teams were overtaking one another. At the same time, showing the NBA players waiting out their penalty on a close finish was suspenseful to catch the viewers' interests. Showing Phil mentioning that two teams were on their way to the pit stop made the three-way close finish even more suspenseful!
~Overall, despite the ending being edited really well, I think it still needs improvement on other parts. Also, if TAR can extend the premiere to a 90- or 120-minute episode every season, I think viewers could see more character from each of the racers.

Teams:

Team Extreme: Personally, I like their intro very much. "Girls aren't supposed to do dangerous things, and I was all about proving that wrong." I find the quote inspirational in a feministic sense. They breezed through the first leg, and I think they deserved their final placement for the leg. From 5th place, they did the first task as fast as they could. The one performing the roadblock was also attentive to detail immediately, and that allowed them to finish the task quickly, passing two teams. They not only breezed through the last task, but they also avoided getting lost on their way to and from the location of the last task. They were not only cool and inspirational, but they proved themselves to be very competitive, skillful, fast, determined, with something to prove for the first leg. For this, they are my favorite team for this season so far.

Team Big Brother: I haven't watched Big Brother to know them very well, so I'm basing their performance without the full details of their background. I like how they were quick as well, although they got lost near the end. Cody immediately finishing the roadblock was impressive. Their overall performance makes me think they deserve to be in this season, with the theme.

Team Yale: This is another team I really like. They were fast and competitive, but they lost their lead to other teams based on tasks and probably directions. Being on the top few all throughout the leg, they were more memorable than other teams.

Team Well Strung: They were in the middle the whole time, so I couldn't see much from them. Their time in the roadblock seems short, but I didn't see enough detail to analyze how well they did. Still, their final placement for the leg can prove how strong they are.

Team Indy Car: We got to see enough from this team in my opinion. The false hope shown in the roadblock was funny. Both of them being roommates or housemates was a cool fact about them. They did well, but the one performing the roadblock took too much time guessing instead of going for a second round at the buggy.

Team Chomp: They were memorable during the intro and the starting line. Perhaps the part with one of them yelling to the other about not quitting could be memorable too. However, they were under the radar for the rest of the leg. We didn't see enough of them aside from their background.

Team Ocean Rescue: Being in the middle of the pack made them forgettable too. Although, the proposal in the middle of the race was a nice thing to know about Lucas.

The Firefighter: They were easily forgettable. I couldn't see how they fit in the theme of this season too. I couldn't see it, and it was probably just mentioned once. The only time I think they were memorable was when they overtook the NBA players during their penalty.

Team Slam Dunk: This team was a funny mess. I like how the title quote came from one of them. They started well, fairly speaking. One of them has a fear of heights, yet he did the task to prove that he is a champion. The roadblock was fine at first. It looked like Henry's mistake. However, after going through the course again and still finding nothing, it can be concluded that Shawn has poor attention to detail. He helping the racer he was neck and neck with for last place was not really a good move. What's more ironic is that it put them in last place. The coaching, even though unheard by Shawn, put some suspense to the show at least, because of the penalty. The comparing Shawn did made him finish the task at last. I think it was okay for him to compare answers, since he helped out the other racer. However, I wish he found the solution in some other way instead of comparing. This team checking in at the pit stop before the team that got help from Shawn showed that they were probably good with navigation and self-driving. Those made them pass three teams from the roadblock to the last task. It probably maintained their lead earlier in the leg as well. At least this is the good side they have after all the issues they had this leg.

Team Goat Yoga: I never heard of goat yoga, and I find it cool! Being the founders of goat yoga made them an interesting pair right away. Their hobbies were also interesting: trapeze, teaching kids to parkour, being moms, etc. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same team which had ninja warrior competitors. They had a very good intro and first impression. Unfortunately, their overall leg performance was disappointing, especially with their athletic background. I had high expectations from them, and they were about to be my favorite team. The choppy editing not showing why there was tension between them all of a sudden didn't help as well. Perhaps the confessionals answered that, and that gives them character development. Then again, I think the editing on them about it made it confusing. Their poor start was probably caused by this tension, but it could also be their poor skills in navigation and self-driving. If the NBA players beat them to the location of the last task, even after they got help from that team, then it could mean that they are poor in those skills mentioned. Seeing that they finished the last task in 10th, but the ring girls passed them some time during the footrace to the pit stop, I was wondering if they were doing this to save their energy or they were not competitive enough. Overall, I like them from their background, but their weak performance was pathetic. At least the bottomgoddessing they did throughout the leg was entertaining for me.

The Ring Girls: I think this team had potential to do better. They were easily forgettable for being in the middle of the pack for most of the leg. They showed us that they have a competitive drive, yet they finished at the bottom on the first leg. After rewatching the episode and noticing certain details, I believe it's the little things that mattered which had them eliminated. The editing showed how they struggled with parking. That took a lot of time from them. However, even though they finished the last task in last place, they were able to overtake the goat yoga moms, which showed that they have speed and a more competitive drive than the other team. However, what really mattered in the end is that Dessie was wearing her bag while running to the pit stop. I thought she got tired from running and overtaking the other team, but upon closer inspection on the last moments of the footrace, she was the only racer among the four wearing a bag while stepping foot on the pit stop mat. That extra weight from the bag cost her team the race. Sadly, we won't get to see more from this team because of a really small mistake. It's the small things that matter.

Others:
~I was gonna mention about the shopping bags. It could be an unaired task, but somebody pointed out that it could be their clothing for the weather. I'm actually curious now if TAR always provides teams with jackets or sweaters when needed.
~The "Hosted by Phil Keoghan" part on the intro was a cool new spin from the intro we're used to. I like that!
~Phil saying "will be eliminated" while recording his narration for the first pit stop is a pet peeve of mine. There's inconsistency with other seasons about this. It takes away some suspense from viewers who've seen the show so many times already.

Overall Episode:
Overall, I think this was a decent premiere, a decent first leg. We have two active route infos and a roadblock, which total to three tasks for the first leg. There was self-driving, and that helped shuffled the placements around, aside from the roadblock and its difficulty. The scenery and culture shown in the episode was enlightening about Iceland. I think the best part is the possibly-record-breaking close finish between three teams, one of which was waiting out a penalty by mere seconds. It may not be the best premiere I've seen from TAR, but it's decent enough for me to like it overall.

Scenery: 8.5/10
ARI1: 6/10
Roadblock: 8/10
ARI2: 4/10
Leg Design: 8/10
Editing: 2.5/10
Episode: 7/10

Phew! Took me 3.5 hours. 11 more episodes to go! :cmaslol

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
After collecting my thoughts and rewatching the premiere this morning, I decided to post my thoughts on the episode:

It should come as no surprise that Iceland looked stunning. After 24 seasons, it was great to see Iceland again. Location-wise this episode delivered.

I loved that this leg had self-driving. It brought out a lot of drama from teams that I wouldn't expect.

Shocked to see Cedric & Shawn get the Denise & James Earl penalty, they're really enforcing that. Also appreciated the clarification that the act of giving advice constitutes a penalty (I remember James Earl also saying that he never heard his mom) 

A literal photo finish, that was insane.
Show content
I thought that the recent race to the Pit Stop on HaMerotz LaMillion in Jamaica was intense, but this episode easily tops that
The race for first was also surprising. I thought for sure Jessica & Cody would finish first.

The editing was a bit rushed at times, especially in the strongman task where several teams weren't even shown.

To talk about the tasks:
-High wire: straight forward heights task, incredible view
-Strongman: simple, loved local interactions,
-Spell it out: easily the best task, so much attention to detail with the numbers and the accent

Final Thoughts: For what could have been a straightforward leg we got several surprises & placement shifts all leading to that intense race to avoid elimination, could have been better but still enjoyable

3/5

Also, I can’t believe that I can actually say this, but I was on The Amazing Race (saw myself during a couple of the crowd shots).  :cmas51

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
I'm not sure what left a bad taste in my mouth: the editing or the underwhelming cast. Probably both. More likely just the editing itself.

It's strange because this episode had a lot going for it:
- self-driving on the first leg!
- photo finish for last place :o
- a scenic first task that defines what Amazing Race is all about: seeing the world
- a somewhat mentally challenging first Roadblock? That's rare! Miles better than S21 and S24's horrible first Roadblocks

Now to the negatives...

The Route Info task before the Pit Stop was NOT good TV. very very cheap way to incorporate another task and I think this episode would've been MUCH BETTER without this task. The segment of Jody completing this task was just very awkward and I don't think it was the editing's fault this time around. It was just really bad... am I the only one who strongly hates this task? :lol:

The last 5 minutes was some of the most rushed editing in recent memory. The NBA players just went from last to 8th in a matter of seconds without any explanation. We needed to see Ring Girls' navigation struggles more--heck, we needed to see THEM more. I can't remember a first eliminated team having 0 airtime.

I really think TAR needs to do better in casting people of color or mixing it up a bit. I'm sorry but the M/M teams (aside from NBA) started blending in and I couldn't remember who's who. S20 and S22 are great examples of more diverse casting - none of the teams look the same.

Standouts: Yale, Jody, NBA, Goat Moms. Everyone else was just there.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:05:07 AM by RaceUntilWeDie »

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
The episode was good, I feel like the editing needed some work. The race for first could've been so much more tense, I felt like that the girls would win almost in an instant. The race for last however was amazing. There was literally half a second in difference, even closer to the Tar 9 finish in Darwin.

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member
  • Hope sir Terry had a pleasant talk with DEATH.
Hmm... Am I the only one hating prepared letter for arranging in a MEMORY task? Should have been a blackboard and marker so it would be harder ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I loved the little ICE carved letters.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member

They are cute but still - maybe give them the whole alphabet with 3 copies of each letter to choose from - not just the letters that were on the course - then if they needed to go back they would still need to remember the letters, not just their positioning.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster

They are cute but still - maybe give them the whole alphabet with 3 copies of each letter to choose from - not just the letters that were on the course - then if they needed to go back they would still need to remember the letters, not just their positioning.
From the producers' pov that would be wasting money on unnecessary props
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member

From the producers' pov that would be wasting money on unnecessary props

That's why I initially thought of a simple whiteboard ;)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Seeing the relatively huge numbers makes me a little sad that this Leg and episode wasn't better or more exciting than it was. For the 3 million+ people who might have tuned in for the first time or tuned back in after drifting away from the show over the years, it didn't really have a major hook that would entice people to come back again if they weren't already watching the show.

The stunning shots during the canyon traverse (really, the biggest highlight of the Leg/episode) can only go so far. And it's not like TAR has photo finishes every week.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Did I miss something? Why were they all carrying matching shopping bags to the mat?
We know from the promos that teams made a stop at 66 North. What's interesting is that a few of the teams were already wearing the gear in the field, so there must have been an unaired bit of shopping before they set out.

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
Did I miss something? Why were they all carrying matching shopping bags to the mat?
We know from the promos that teams made a stop at 66 North. What's interesting is that a few of the teams were already wearing the gear in the field, so there must have been an unaired bit of shopping before they set out.

I read elsewhere that in a Q&A last night, Jessica stated all the racers were given the hats and gloves by production.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
TAR always provides teams with cold weather gear. But the teams were all carrying several of 66°North bags once back in Reykjavik. I doubt TAR required teams to keep the bags for them to place them in to return later. 

It's either one of:
-There was an unaired task between the Road Block and the drinks.
-TAR gave the teams their gear in those plastic bags and specifically told them to carry them around as extra product placement for a local sponsor.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

I've seen so many comments on why did the shopping bags randomly appear after the strongman task. Here's what I think. when teams parked their cars before walking to the square, the clue must have told them to abandon their car & carry all their possessions including the bag for the remainder of the leg. When Jessica & Cody arrived at the square, they are clearly carrying the bag. It didn't randomly appear, so I don't think there was a task cut.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
Rewatching the episode, some addition observations:

- Still think that they should have added info on 2 flight via Phil narration. It be interesting as some people from flight 2, were able to race ahead of people from flight 1, who got lost in leg that featured mostly self-driving. Don't mind losing any likely airport drama, which is probably unnecessary, as the flights info were probably spelled out in the additional info sheet racers got in the first clue envelope.
- Too much time spent on Goat Yoga team meltdown. That was a bit too much that was edited in, from them arguing during the drive and also confessionals. Too much.
- Racers mentioning fear of heights this time around were something more random, no great cries like we had with Scott. Just a gorgeous task, with no meltdowns.
- Loved the RB, especially the ICE letters. Interesting that there were two letter stations available? I guess, it was unclear.
- Teams received the white bags between RB and the drinks name challenge, just weird seeing them carrying those around while trying to complete the task. It made the little shown from the task a bit funky.
- Liked that there was at least one task set in the urban setting, even if the filming or editing of that section was weird.
- Didn't read much about Jody during race coverage, not a Big Brother follower (or even Survivor), so whenever we have racers originating from those other shows, I only try to assess them from how they perform on TAR. On their particular case, the fanatic fanbase was so loud, that I deliberately shut-out reading anything at all, especially during filming. But from watching them this leg, I think I already like them better than Brenchel.
- Favorite teams so far Yale and Extreme.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com

I've seen so many comments on why did the shopping bags randomly appear after the strongman task. Here's what I think. when teams parked their cars before walking to the square, the clue must have told them to abandon their car & carry all their possessions including the bag for the remainder of the leg. When Jessica & Cody arrived at the square, they are clearly carrying the bag. It didn't randomly appear, so I don't think there was a task cut.

Other teams had more than one bag.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
My take is that teams were given their sponsored winter clothing in those bags at the beginning of the leg (TAR always provides winter gear). Then they were told to abandon their cars at the plaza and teams without enough space in their backpacks ended up carrying the extra shoppng bags
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
And it could be a reference to lady shopping in a field that Lori & Bolo met while asking for directions in TAR 6.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies