Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 1 LIVE UPDATES & COMMENTARY WED 1/3/18 8PM EST *read Post 1*  (Read 23557 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
You are awesome at this Rachel!! Thanks SO much!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
My stream was so slow that I never saw the violinists until the pit stop. :cmaslol I was so surprised I actually forgot them, and that my stream sucks too much for me to miss them.

Is this the 1st time we have a all-female team to be 1st on the 1st leg?

Show content
I like (~how~) our Top 3...
I like our Top 3. :reindeer

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Returning back to Iceland after local commercials,
Cedric & Shawn copy right off of April & Sarah's board. Wow. Way to cheat....
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
I want a link next time please.!! It sucks just to read it
"" JUSTICE 4 DUSTIN&KANDICE: PUT THEM ON THE AMAZING RACE LEGENDS SEASON ""

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Dessie & Kay and Eric & Daniel and April & Sarah all asking for directions to Go'lfstrog. Cedric & Shawn are arguing over misspelling the word for so lng.

Joey & Tim are 6th and talk about their competitive eating to the greeter of Iceland.

Cedric & Shawn arrive at the square

Lucas & Brittany are 7th with Brittany as the "man" in the relationship.

Cedric & Shawn quickly finish their shots and move up to 8th. Firefighters follow.

Cedric & Shawn arrive 8th... however, they incur a 30-minute penalty for cheating off of April & Sarah and for Cedric to yell out help. :cmaslol
Eric & Daniel move up to 8th! Hahahaahaa

April & Sarah arrive at the square, but Dessie & Kayla are struggling to park their car. April knows they are gonna make the questions by the weightlifter "so easy" and take 10th place after drinking the shot.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
April & Sarah and Dessie & Kay are running in while Cedric & Shawn are still counting down their penalty. Go go go go! 30 seconds left.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Booking it on the three teams defying TAR Leg 1 history as the closest race to last place.

Cedric & Shawn are 9th. Foot race between goat yoga and ring girls!!!! Goooooo!!!

And April & Sarah are tem number 10! Unfortunately, Dessie & Kayla are last and have been ELIMINATED FROM THE RACE. (insert sad torch face here) Never been a more photo finish before in the first leg since Preston & Jennifer and Christie & Jodi in season 14 I believe.

Dessie and Kayla appreciate their experience and glad they ran together. "yay"

Stay tuned for scenes from this season of TAR.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
On this season of TAR,
Teams will square off in a season unlike any other. They will face the first face-off and be SWAPPING PARTNERS. Who will win this crazy race?!

End credits. And all is well.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
:tu Rachel!! Stay warm out there!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dzony95

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Bring TAR to Serbia!!! (That is Serbian TAR logo)
Gotta say that editing is not done so good at some points, bet hey! We have TAR back and I love it! And that foto finish, they just HAD TO make it (even) more dramatic!

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Wait... SWAPPING PARTNERS????

Whattttttt??

Overall, I found this episode quite boring and rushed. Let's hope the season can pick up!

CocoNuts

THIS SEASON :cmas20 :cmas20 :cmas20

Swapping partners???? HYPEEEEEEEEEE

I was hoping goat Yoga would go home but the ballers r safe so...

Cody was cody...

Henry and Evan seem very strong and i love em!

S30 i think will be one of the best

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
The footrace was AMAZING!!!
I may or may not drop episode reviews for the rest of the season, although I don't know why TAR30 no longer shows in my country  :cmas15 (or at least that's what I think).
Overall this was a good 1st leg. Not the best overall, but still decent in my opinion.

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
I have to say that I enjoyed it.  For once I actually watched the show instead of reading the board.  Looks to be an interesting season.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
I can recall an early season footrace among five teams to the check-in mat, can’t recall if it was an NEL. That may be the distinction with this leg which was an elimination leg.
Was a good leg IMHO. There were opportunities for place movement with the self-driving and navigation on foot. No official word about next week, huh?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:02:41 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
So, as a special treat for the New Year and me luckily being on a break from work on a usually hectic Wednesday, I am going to rate this premiere in an analysis based on three qualities: race structure (tasks, navigation, locations), interpersonal relations (team interest assessment), and editing.

RACE STRUCTURE: Iceland... we haven't seen teams travel to this wonderful country since 2004 in season 6's premiere. Navigation haven, icebergs and glaciers, the random bag lady courtesy of Lori & Bolo, what else could a revamp bring along? This time around, we were akin to season 12's cliffside leg with a high-flying first task. Then, we were brought to an upfront natural landscape and trekked in the crosshatches of the rocky foregrounds where we were given a Roadblock that "proved" teams must be good with memory and attention to detail to avoid falling behind the pack. Afterward, the rural setting quickly swapped to the city where the production decided weightlifters were the best option to service teams a pair of rather peculiar questions about Icelandic slang dealing with omega-3 fish oil (Why? ???) and Brennivin schnapps, which both team members were required to take a shot of before being sent off to find Phil standing at the marina or Reykjavik - ending the leg. Overall, the simple structure of the first leg mixed with underlying navigational obstacles stood out for me this leg and proved Iceland brought the race back to its beautifully gritty form once again. Although the random bag lady was replaced with Katrín Davíðsdóttir, I did enjoy the awe-inspiring scenery TAR showed tonight and was very excited to hear self-driving getting a desperately needed comeback after the program lost its Ford sponsorship.
RANKING: 4.35/5

INTERPERSONAL RELATIONS: AKA what we know about the teams! This is where we have a major issue. Other than their line of work and personal life, we know close to nothing about their personalities other than they are all surprisingly reserved in what they wanted to share flowing out of their natural charm. Considering some of these teams have been very open to the public in their heydays (Cody & Jessica, Cedric & Shawn, Joey & Tim), I was disappointed to not figure anything of their personas. And this will play a role in my next section. It might be due to editing, but what makes any of these teams memorable will be how they interact with each other on a day to day basis and their surroundings. Saying "hurry, it's now or never" or "we're gonna have to book it" ain't cutting it. Otherwise, the moment of banter between Jessica, Alex, and Evan while awaiting their partners to finish the Roadblock has been the only sign of interpersonal relationships. I still remember Alex's comment calling Evan & Henry the "Yale wizards" and Jessica saying she couldn't believe Cody beat the Ivy League wizzes! I'm very worried to see how the team member swaps will work if this still persists. What's been lacking for the past several seasons is personality. Get the act together regardless if you gotta act. One positive thing, I really like the competitive casting this time around. They all seem to get along just fine even if some teams do have occasional tiffs.
RANKING: 1.9/5

EDITING: I'm going to be quite honest. The editing in the last few minutes were golden. Applause for the closest first leg footrace since never with Cedric & Shawn nearly being goners too. However, like Cedric & Shawn, the editors messed up in the preceding 40 minutes. Navigation troubles were not shown as much which would have been valuable screentime to form a reason why these teams were slower than say Henry & Evan or Kristi & Jen. Racing struggles were substituted for "petty chat" either substances of teams' occupations (we get it already!) or personal life by including the unnecessary Pit Stop talk. The edit spent too much time focusing on their friendships and partnerships that it undermined the race aspect of THE AMAZING RACE. It didn't feel like much of a race until after Phil was shown at the Pit Stop. The music choices didn't help me get into the adrenaline and edge-of-your-seat feeling either. I want to be excited throughout, not just the final 7 minutes of oncoming placements.

We still didn't really have much of a reason to show April & Sarah fighting and what made them switch seats while driving to the canyon. It was drama with no backing. If it was put just to fill up time, it was very cringey and pathetic to watch. And how teams like Lucas & Brittany, the Yale wizards, Trevor & Chris, the goat yoga moms, and Dessie & Kayla were introduced AFTER the Washington Square Park starting line task really bothered me. It just seemed unfair to introduce them while traveling in a taxi to the airport while other teams like Cedric & Shawn, Kristi & Jen, and Cody & Jessica got clean welcomes.
RANKING: 2.35/5 (Dessie & Kay, Cedric & Shawn, and April & Sarah saved this ranking from dropping into the 1 digit)

Show content
AVERAGED TOTAL: 2.87/5
For a leg taking place in Iceland, I'm a bit crestfallen.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Maybe we’ll get more insights when/if the extras are placed online by CBS, and we’ll get a better feel for what happened with various teams this episode.

As to Cody and Jessica, during his B.B. season he was a beast in competitions, therefore I’m not surprised that he jumped ahead of earlier arriving teams at the roadblock. Clearly they navigated Icelandic highways well, but on foot, they didn’t ask soon enough to save their chance to arrive first. We’ll see if that was a fluke or not in later episodes, I’m sure.

I’m surprised no one mentioned the brief appearance of the Bethesda Fountain in Central Park, the very first start line, used as a backdrop for one of the team introductions at the beginning....the violinists. At last, the final filmed something there, which they managed to miss in earlier visits to NYC.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ahecht

• RFF Not So Newbie
Did I miss something? Why were they all carrying matching shopping bags to the mat?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Maybe we’ll get more insights when/if the extras are placed online by CBS, and we’ll get a better feel for what happened with various teams this episode.

As to Cody and Jessica, during his B.B. season he was a beast in competitions, therefore I’m not surprised that he jumped ahead of earlier arriving teams at the roadblock. Clearly they navigated Icelandic highways well, but on foot, they didn’t ask soon enough to save their chance to arrive first. We’ll see if that was a fluke or not in later episodes, I’m sure.

I’m surprised no one mentioned the brief appearance of the Bethesda Fountain in Central Park, the very first start line, used as a backdrop for one of the team introductions at the beginning....the violinists. At last, the final filmed somethingo there, which they managed to miss in earlier visits to NYC.
For the Bethesda Fountain clip, that was a pre-existing video Trevor & Chris' orchestral band filmed, not TAR footage. It's here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJTVSyt7eMQ

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Did I miss something? Why were they all carrying matching shopping bags to the mat?

I wondered the same thing. I remember seeing those in the spoiler pics too...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster

I wondered the same thing. I remember seeing those in the spoiler pics too...
Interesting... unaired task for sure if it's everyone. I did notice Cody carrying a white tote and seeing some sort of logo on it when him and Jessica were lost at a park on their way to the Pit Stop. If anyone has a screenshot of it, maybe we could decode what may have been left out.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
I get the feeling that the swapping partners might be for just a night as it looks to be in Africa so for a camp out as the pitstop?
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Jro

• RFF Sr. Member
New here, but anyway, Jessica and Cody were live on the TV Party App during the east coast airing. Jessica said that the bags were given to them by production with gloves, hats, etc.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
I get the feeling that the swapping partners might be for just a night as it looks to be in Africa so for a camp out as the pitstop?
Or hopefully for just one task as opposed to an entire leg.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
I just finished watching it, and I thought this premiere episode was okay. The editing was all over the place, like when teams were checking in the pit stop and I didn't get to see select teams finish the "answer the two questions about Iceland' drinks task." The roadblock was good because it tested teams fast eye reflexes and memorization. The scenery was beautiful in this episode though. The final footrace at the end was intense, three teams racing not to get eliminated first, never seen that before.

I did like how they started this 30th by a fountain just like the first season did.