Author Topic: TAR 30: Episode 1 "You're a Champion, Prove It" (PREMIERE JAN 3, 2018 8PM)  (Read 6524 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
THE MILESTONE 30TH SEASON OF “THE AMAZING RACE” KICKS OFF THE NEW YEAR WITH SOME OF THE MOST COMPETITIVE RACERS TO EVER TAKE ON THE RACE, WEDNESDAY, JAN. 3

“You’re a Champion, Prove It” (Iceland) – The milestone 30th season of THE AMAZING RACE kicks off from Washington Square Park in New York City with some of the most competitive and accomplished group of racers ever to take on the Race. Teams travel to their first destination, Iceland, where they must traverse a massive canyon high above the Geitargljufur River, on the season premiere of THE AMAZING RACE, Wednesday, Jan. 3 (8:00–9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@PhilKeoghan) is the host.

credit to RealityFreakWill for the title find!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 30: Episode 1 "You're a Champion, Prove It" (PREMIERE JAN 3, 2018 8PM)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
PREVIEW! 3RD CBS Edit  :groan:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RJSZSq5sWaI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RJSZSq5sWaI</a>

Thanks Will!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:21:54 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »
MAF's RACING REPORT: Episode 1

Racing report
Amazing Race Season 30, Episode 1, "You're a Champion, Prove It"
Film date: 2017-10-01 - 2017-10-02

This season is billed as a season of champions. That is most of the teams are champions of one sort or another. The teams are:

• Joey & Tim, competitive eaters
  • Cedric & Shawn, former basketball stars
  • Dessie & Kayla, models and boxing ring girls
  • Alex & Conor, Indy car racers
  • Kristi & Jen, former professional skiers (X-games)
  • Cody & Jessica, former Big Brother contestants
  • Lucas & Brittany, ocean rescue lifeguards
  • April & Sarah, goat yoga instructors (that is yoga with goats, not yoga for goats) and entrepreneurs
  • Henry & Evan, Yale debaters
  • Eric & Daniel, Twin firefighters
  • Trevor & Chris, well built violinist (part of the group Well String)

This race had a public start in Washington Square Park, New York. At the starting line Phil talks about how competitive the different teams are. He also uses the opportunity to give Joey a hot dog (since that is one of the things they compete eating).

The first clue is taped to the middle of the fountain behind the teams. This tells them to fly to Reykjavik, Iceland.

The episode does not mention it, but teams were split on two different flights.

Flight #1 was:
 FI614  JFK-KEF  20:30 - 06:14+1  (scheduled 20:40 - 06:15+1)

Flight #2 was:
 DL446  JFK-KEF  20:55 - 06:24+1  (scheduled 21:08 - 06:45+1)

When teams land they must pick up a car and drive themselves to Geitárgljúfur (180km 2h22min), a river canyon waterfall where they will find their next clue. It is dark when they arrive so navigating is even harder. And that is significant because this place is kind of hard to find, even though teams apparently got driving directions in the clue.

"Shockingly these other teams aren't dumb", Cody realize they have some competition
 "If you steer me wrong I will hold it over your head for the rest of our lives", Brittany has harsh with Lucas

April & Sarah have a hard time working together while driving. It turns out that April spoke to the stewardess on the plane and got a different set of directions. All while Sarah was sleeping. Sarah is not happy about this and their relationship then deteriorates rapidly.
 "I wish that we could work a little bit better together", April

The goat yoga girls are not the only team having navigation issues.

"I think we are a good day away from our destination right now", Tim

Teams reach the clue box at Geitárgljúfur in the following order:
  1. Henry & Evan
  2. Cody & Jessica
  3. Alex & Conor
  4. Cedric & Shawn
  5. Kristi & Jen
  6. Dessie & Kayla
  7. Trevor & Chris
  8. Joey & Tim
  9. Lucas & Brittany
 10. April & Sarah
 11. Eric & Daniel

It is not shown in the episode but teams also got bags of winter clothing for themselves and their camera team here.

In the task here one team member must go out on a zip-line halfway across the canyon and pick up an Icelandic flag. Their partner can then pull them back. The canyon is relatively deep and has a river at the bottom. But there is not really much you can do to screw this task up so teams finish in the order they started it.

"There was definitely a moment of shock to actually see what I was about to do", Evan
 "Your crotch should thank me right now, because oh boy.", Jessica on the zip-line

The first 5 teams seem to be fairly close to each other and then there there are gaps between most of the rest of the teams.

Teams complete this task in the following order (* marks the person going on the zip-line)
  1(+0) Henry & Evan*
  2(+0) Cody & Jessica*
  3(+0) Alex* & Conor
  4(+0) Cedric* & Shawn
  5(+0) Kristi* & Jen
  6(+0) Dessie & Kayla*
  7(+0) Trevor & Chris*
  8(+0) Joey* & Tim
  9(+0) Lucas* & Brittany
 10(+0) April & Sarah*
 11(+0) Eric* & Daniel, just after #10

Route info: "Drive yourselves to Esjumelur and search for your next clue."

Team arrive here (120km 1h31min) in the following order:
  1(+0) Henry & Evan
  2(+1) Alex & Conor
  3(-1) Cody & Jessica
  4(+1) Kristi & Jen
  5(-1) Cedric & Shawn
  6(+1) Trevor & Chris
  7(+2) Lucas & Brittany
  8(-2) Dessie & Kayla
  9(-1) Joey & Tim
 10(+1) Eric & Daniel
 11(-1) April & Sarah

Here teams find a road block. Contestants must ride along in off-road buggies. Along the way they must spot different letters. Each letter also has a small number attached on it. The trick, which the contestants must figure out, is that the numbers give the order of the letters in the word they have to spell. Once they get back they are give a station and plates of ice with the different letters. They must now spell the word made up by the letters. The answer is Ingólfstorg.

The trick is not hard and most teams figure it out immediately. You can go as many times as you want, but the driver is an expert and seems to be in a hurry. They also seem to be instructed to hit every possible pool of water along the way, and there are many. So there are plenty of distractions for the contestants.

The main difficulty in this tasks turns out to see the difference between ó and o. Both letters are included in the word.

"Can you drive a little slower?", Henry at least asks the driver to go slower
 "I'm fairly sure I saw all these letters, but they are all in a strange order", Conor hasn't seen the numbers yet
 "Ahhhh", Trevor spot the diacritic over one of the o's
 "You're a champion, prove it[/i", Cedric gets the title
 "Pay attention to the O's and the P's", Cedric shouts some advice to Shawn

Shawn has serious problems with the o vs ó. Eventually there is only him and Sarah left at the road block. That is when he decides to help her. With his help she gets it but he still does not see what is different from his solution.
 "This is exactly the same as hers", Shawn is confused
But eventually he spot the difference and they are out of there. Strategically just helping her was not smart. And not making her promise to help him as well was outright dumb.

Teams complete this road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock):
1(+2)Cody* & Jessica  (1-0)
2(-1)Henry* & Evan    (1-0)
3(+1)Kristi & Jen*    (0-1)
4(+2)Trevor* & Chris  (1-0)
5(-3)Alex & Conor*    (0-1)Did at least two trips in the buggy
6(+3)Joey & Tim*      (0-1)
7(+3)Eric & Daniel*   (0-1)
8(-1)Lucas & Brittany*(0-1)
9(-1)Dessie* & Kayla  (1-0)
10(+1)April & Sarah*   (0-1)
11(-6)Cedric & Shawn*  (0-1)Did at least 5 trips in the buggy

The next clue tells teams to make their way to Ingólfstorg in Reykjavik. Here they will find a bunch of Icelandic strong men and a woman. Teams will have to find Katrin who will ask them to identify two popular national tonics.

Teams arrive at Ingólfstorg (20km 24min) in the following order:
  1(+0) Cody & Jessica
  2(+1) Kristi & Jen
  ?(+?) Henry & Evan
  ?(+?) Trevor & Chris
  ?(+?) Alex & Conor
  ?(+?) Joey & Tim
  ?(+?) Lucas & Brittany
  ?(+?) Cedric & Shawn
  ?(+?) Eric & Daniel
 10(+0) April & Sarah
 11(-2) Dessie & Kayla, had a hard time finding the designated parking

Apart from the strong persons lifting weights and dragging cars there is a male choir adding ambiance at the square. Katrin has two questions for the racers:
 * "What do Icelanders call the drink known as 'Black Death'?"
 * "What is Porskalysi?"

The answers to these questions are "Brennivin" (a local liquor) and Cod Liver oil. Once teams have figured out the correct answers they each have to drink a shot of one of the drinks before they get their next clue.

Teams complete this task in the following order:
  1(+0) Cody & Jessica
  2(+0) Kristi & Jen
  ?(+?) Henry & Evan
  ?(+?) Trevor & Chris 
  5(+0) Alex & Conor
  ?(+?) Joey & Tim
  ?(+?) Lucas & Brittany
  8(+?) Cedric & Shawn
  9(+?) Eric & Daniel
 10(+0) April & Sarah
 11(+0) Dessie & Kayla

Route info: "Make your way on foot to your first pit stop".

Phil is waiting by Reykjavíkürtjorn, a small pond in Reykjavik.

Cody & Jessica are first but make their way to the sea shore instead of the pond they should have gone to. I assume the clue said something about Phil waiting on the shore of Reykjavíkürtjorn and they assumed this to be along the seashore.

Cedric & Shawn get a 30 minutes penalty since Cedric tried to help Shawn during the road block. Cedric tries to argue that he didn't see the letters so he couldn't give any specific help and Shawn says he didn't hear it. But the penalty stands.
 "Even if you didn't hear it, he's not allowed to give any help at all", Phil

So while Cedric & Shawn wait out their penalty we get to see Dessie & Kayla having issues parking their car.

Eventually this leg turns into a nail biter. Phil tells Cedric & Shawn to come to the mat as they have 30 seconds left of their penalty. Meanwhile they see the last two teams sprinting towards the pit stop. The guys just make it and then there is a footrace. The finish is extremely close but Dessie is the last person to step on the mat (just behind Sarah).

Teams reach the pit stop at Reykjavíkürtjorn (500m) in the following order:
  1(+1) Kristi & Jen, win a trip to Santorini, Greece
  2(-1) Cody & Jessica
  3(+?) Henry & Evan, just after #2
  4(+?) Trevor & Chris, just after #3
  5(+0) Alex & Conor
  6(+?) Joey & Tim
  7(+?) Lucas & Brittany
        Cedric & Shawn, get a 30 minutes penalty
  8(+1) Eric & Daniel
  9(-1) Cedric & Shawn
 10(+0) April & Sarah
 11(+0) Dessie & Kayla, are eliminated

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,34002.msg1215635.html#msg1215635
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:11:33 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
saved for oval
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:34:39 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
No posting except for Alen please.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
Caps!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:14:18 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:46:23 PM »
Caps!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:52:58 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 04:03:29 AM »
Really excited for the premier episode. Iceland has some AMAZING scenery and I think this episode is going to be great!  :conf: :hoot: :bunny

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
The buggy footage at the start of the promo looks like it might be from Mosfellsdalur. Here's an article from October (Icelandic), and here's the relevant sentence translated: Iceland is the first destination in the race, but competitors drove out across Geitárgljúfur and drove Buggy cars into Mosfellsdalur. Here's a commercial company that runs tours through the valley (not far from Reykjavik).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
An English translation:

Iceland will be in the forefront of the first episode of the 30th episode of the award-winning Real Madrid Realm episode, featured on the CBS television channel.  Iceland is the first destination in the race race, but competitors drove out across Geitárgljúfur and drove Buggy cars into Mosfellsdalur.  "There can not be a click and everything has to be smashed as just one take," says Pétur Sigurđsson at the production company On the Rocks.

On the Rocks, the American cloak was in hand, but about 100 Icelanders came to grips for over 24 hours.  Peter says that the contestants had a fire on Monday morning with American flights and left the second part the following day.  Iceland will play a major role in the first episode, which will be shown to the west next year, but part of the second episode will also be happening here.

Peter says that as soon as the race race has begun, there is no secret of each contestant at any given time.  "It's most important to keep this secret before it all starts so that they can not get information online in advance." Among the contestants in this country was to cross the Geitárgljúfur line and run so-called buddy cars in Mosfellsdalur.  Peter says that the flood to the east did not put anything in the line.  The intention has been to go to Langjökull, but due to the conditions on the glacier, it has been discontinued.

Visir.is discussed the arrival of the Amazing Race this morning.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
TV Promo 1 (aired during Survivor)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/87BpUfan3dU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/87BpUfan3dU</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook