Author Topic: TAR 30: Speculation and Discussion of the **SPOILERS** WORKZONE!  (Read 790373 times)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Re: TAR 30: Speculation and Discussion of the **SPOILERS** WORKZONE!
« Reply #1575 on: October 16, 2017, 10:02:33 PM »
Thank you dan! :)
I appreciate that you shared this.
Like the couple of new people posted, RFF prides itself on teamwork and free flow of information, unless necessary to be withheld.

The flights are definitely interesting, but bear in mind that there needs to be enough time for them to have a pit stop, and if filming finished near sunset, I don't think teams would be able to make those connections. Are there even suitable flights from Harare to Johannesburg to catch those flights?

And we can't rule out that another airport other than Johannesburg could be chosen as a connection (i.e. no Jburg at all or even Harambe > Jburg > 2nd connection > Leg destination)

EDIT: I'm glad you're here, itsjustme11 :waves: Join in on the discussion more often!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:05:37 PM by Marionete »

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1576 on: October 16, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »
I can confirm that the detectives do withhold information at times. It's mainly for safety reasons. We don't want to cost someone their job or , in some cases, the source asks us to not share the info.

It all depends but we want to make sure we aren't jeopardizing anyone's life or reputation with any info we put out so we have to be careful with what gets shared.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline KittyBoo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1577 on: October 16, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »
Ive been reading this forum for years, always impressed with the detective abilities and how information is found. Ive also always been impressed on how everyone works together to try and figure things out.  I have to say Im a bit perplexed at this sudden secrecy and need to be so cryptic.

This has always been collaborative. No one "hid" anything or needed to withhold info. It was a group of people working together. What is the sudden need for secrecy. Not just secrecy, but the need to tell people you know something that others don't? Seems off to me and not what , I thought, this board was about.

Anyway, its the first time that I was prompted to post. But if I dont post again, thank you all for years of fun following your investigative work.  Its always made TAR that much more fun for me.

I am new this season...although I've been an amazing race fan for years. I'm also disappointed by how many people are acting...or reacting to posts on here.

It's to the point that some people seem to not care for Team Jody at all...and react as though all they want to do is disprove any posting that references this team. Other people are so Pro Team Jody that they get upset with anything that might contradict what they have posted.

And then you have the majority of us...people that are just fans...trying to have fun..look for clues and trying to work with each other to make educated, estimated, deductions on what's happening in the race.

The problem is...that this negativity is carrying over and making it hard for anyone to post a question...a clue...an opion..an educated guess..without major fallout in return. Or, having to sift through the back and forth, to try and figure out what's going on. Thats not fun for anyone and I see a lot of it happening.

Can we all remember, that regardless of who our favorite team is ( or our least favorite team ) that this forum about all teams in the race. The best way for us to get good, conclusive information about how EACH OF OUR favorite teams is doing in the race, is to piece the clues together as we get them and by everyone being inclusive with the clues we find.

And...try to show some patience for some of the newer, greener fans. I've seen people just making an innocent comment about their favorite team..or just general game chat, and suddenly getting sarcastic, undeserving comments back.

If we put our heads together, we can learn a lot! Ive been AMAZED by the insight Peach & the other unbiased veteran detectives have been able to glean from something that at first seemed like an insigificant clue. Their years of experience in chasing the Amazing Race cant be duplicated.

If you have clues or sources, but don't share the details...well..the rest of us can't take that as 100% fact/proof of something..even if we might want to.  Share the details, so we can all be excited together.  :)  let's work together, not assume facts not in evidence, be respectful of each other's opinions ( even when they differ from our opinion ) to try and get more out of each and every clue we get.

Perfect example today of the pictures and using the theory of analyzing sunlight/lighting/shadows, etc, to help try & establish times each team at the mat. Some people did great...unbiased research about sourounding businesses, direction they faced, etc try and help so we could use this info,  compare against the direction their shadows fell, etc...and it ended up getting buried in the back and forth banter. Too bad we couldn't have worked together more to see if we could have nailed this down better.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #1578 on: October 16, 2017, 10:07:17 PM »
Someone here (Walkingpneumonia?) has some good software that can look at the location, the sun angles and the shadows and determine when a picture has been taken in a 10-15 minute window. I imagine he's been busy but hopefully he can analyze some of these pictures eventually. It really clears up a lot of mysteries.

I believe that in the past it was Chateau who did that; but I could be wrong.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline dangambler

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1579 on: October 16, 2017, 10:12:15 PM »
Thank you dan! :)
I appreciate that you shared this.
Like the couple of new people posted, RFF prides itself on teamwork and free flow of information, unless necessary to be withheld.

The flights are definitely interesting, but bear in mind that there needs to be enough time for them to have a pit stop, and if filming finished near sunset, I don't think teams would be able to make those connections. Are there even suitable flights from Harare to Johannesburg to catch those flights?

And we can't rule out that another airport other than Johannesburg could be chosen as a connection (i.e. no Jburg at all or even Harambe > Jburg > 2nd connection > Leg destination)

EDIT: I'm glad you're here, itsjustme11 :waves: Join in on the discussion more often!

they have flights from Harare to Johannesburg this morning, and would be there well in time for any of those flights

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #1580 on: October 16, 2017, 10:15:03 PM »
The only thing that has given me some concern this season is that any tweet that gets posted soon gets 10 or more tweets to the person demanding information about Jody and I expect that has turned off some witnesses. Really, if 1 or 2 people have asked, then there's no need for others to do so.
This is my concern. So if I find news on Twitter, how do I report it AND give credit without risking the source getting swamped with follow up questions? Help?!?

Our main guideline in years past is that if you see another RFF detective on duty, to let them handle it. But this poses new challenges this year, what with new members and all the Jody fans out there. This is also the underlying problem in the "Us" vs "Them" mentality or who got what info first. There is no point in anyone asking a source  for info even a second time let alone 8 or 12 times like I've seen.

Offline ChiTown

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1581 on: October 16, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »
Anyway. I can’t wait to find out the significance of the ice cream LOL I have never seen that st a pit stop before. Which season did they get the coconuts?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1582 on: October 16, 2017, 10:15:36 PM »

No, we know the skiers got there around 130pm. So the rest of your theory is disproven based on that fact

If you are going to make statements like this, You MUST include why/how you know. Unsupported statements don't fly well here.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1583 on: October 16, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
Anyway. I can’t wait to find out the significance of the ice cream LOL I have never seen that st a pit stop before. Which season did they get the coconuts?

18, which begs the question, could the ice cream be from the greeter? :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1584 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »
This picture was posted 4 hours ago when they were taking things down. You can see the shade matches when the pictures of the lifeguards and skiers were taken. The mat and phil have both left. There is also some dude selling ice cream.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaUTPDclqdd/?taken-by=exploreharare

You cannot say that.

Time posted has ZERO to do with time TAKEN.

You do not know that they are taking down, they could be setting up.

Phil could not have arrived yet VS having left.

Unless the owner of the photo has given the explanation, then this is pure SPEC and MUST be expressesd as such.

ALL OF YOU MUST STOP STATING UNKNOWN INFO AS FACT WITHOUT PROOF>

RFF DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!
  :groan:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1585 on: October 16, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
Lots of people fell for the 2015 photo, not just Jody fans. Don't be rude.  :groan:

I kept myself in check, but for a while today, I assumed you were purposefully trolling us with those photos :(

I saw several versions of that photo before I found the original post. The background sign was purposely covered up, one with something that purposely flamed us. The thing is by us ALL not working together, a disservice is being done especially to the Jody fans. They could have checked here with some of the more seasoned detectives. It's a shame.

I'm the one that posted the "phil" picture on here, that was later discovered to be from a prior season. I was offline as a bad storm hit my area, knocking out our power, internet, etc after I posted it. I wasnt hiding. Sorry if this post, then lead into mistrust of some posters. That was never my intention! I was just trying to help. :(

I too saw several people had posted the picture...& I think it was an honest mistake on everyone's part. I can't speak to the other pictures that had been edited. I did see those in passing, wasn't sure what that was about or meant, so purposely posted a link here to a post that had an unedited photo.

I wasnt trolling. As a newer member to the forum (as I see many of us are) we are learning as we go. I follow several people on Twitter,  Not just Jody fans, but amazing race fans, as thats what I am first and foreemost. My goal is to look for clues on any teams. I've found most of the Jody fans to be the same and post sightings and updates for other teams as well.

I hope that helps put mind's at ease. I felt horrible when I saw the follow up posts and comments of mistrust & wanted to try and clear it up!

Thanks

Thanks Kitty! No worries, we all have made mistakes, I know I have and do!!! Very much appreciate your clearing it up! 

:ghug:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline KittyBoo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1586 on: October 16, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
Someone here (Walkingpneumonia?) has some good software that can look at the location, the sun angles and the shadows and determine when a picture has been taken in a 10-15 minute window. I imagine he's been busy but hopefully he can analyze some of these pictures eventually. It really clears up a lot of mysteries.

This is so neat! Regardless of what it might help to prove in terms of when each team may have arrived, i think this kind of stuff is so interesting and is hard to argue against. LOL Hopefully...whomever has this know-how can check out the pictures and put their knowledge to work.

Offline KittyBoo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1587 on: October 16, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
Looking at the Harare photo background details and comparing to a map... the Topics store is NNW of the mat and the Batanai Gardens building is South of Phil.

This supports that Phil would be standing on First St., facing North at the mat and the racers facing south.  The sun only rises and sets in one direction.  More shade would then be earlier in the day.

Anyway, that's my speculation and method of logic.

I posted the google earth map earlier.  I think Phil had his back to Econet House, so he would be facing slightly Northwest, we see the street in front of him.  The park is about 3-4 blocks northwest of Econet House, and I think the bandstand thing is in the Northwest corner of that park.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/TOPICS/@-17.8303927,31.0496796,306m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!2m7!3m6!1sTOPICS!2sHarare,+Zimbabwe!3s0x1931a4ee1bdddb35:0xa5143b9be5134f2f!4m2!1d31.03351!2d-17.8251657

eta, checked another photo and in that one he does seem to be facing north, in the shadow of the building to his right (east)

Great job by both of you, taking the time to research this in more detail!  Hopefully others with the know-how can use this to give us a better time estimate, if we don't end up hearing back with times from the original photo takers. Kudos!!

Offline Seastars

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1588 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:42 PM »
In the area of pure speculation, do we really think TAR would go all the way to southern Africa and keep them only in an area that looks like any big city anywhere in the world?  I feel like, and hope, we've missed something.  Singing in a lovely city park and a pit stop downtown across from offices and a clothing store? 

Offline KittyBoo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1589 on: October 16, 2017, 11:08:52 PM »
I give the Jody team props for  finding and tweeting many of the spoilers we've had this season, but they almost never credit the source of the original photo or it's the tweet of a friend who has a friend.  It's great that they are finding so much, but I do wish they would credit the person.

Yeah, I saw that first street is slightly North West, which is why I said "ish" in the original post.  I give up at sun paths though!

I'm wondering if this is because of what someone was just mentioning about sources getting bombarded with well-wishing, good intended fans..inundating them with back to back questions...until they seem to go into hibernation until the coast is clear? We've all seen this while we are out being detectives...and then let out a deep sigh. They could be trying to prevent this by instead working with them 1 on 1? Perhaps?

Offline geographyknower

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1590 on: October 16, 2017, 11:10:05 PM »
In the area of pure speculation, do we really think TAR would go all the way to southern Africa and keep them only in an area that looks like any big city anywhere in the world?  I feel like, and hope, we've missed something.  Singing in a lovely city park and a pit stop downtown across from offices and a clothing store?

Today was spent in and around the town center, so I'm speculating that teams will be going somewhere scenic tomorrow to do some sort of adrenaline-inducing task(s).

Offline KittyBoo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1591 on: October 16, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
Just hope Jody wasn't wearing their camo stuff. As somebody pointed out yesterday, it's actually illegal there.

I'm pretty sure production would have given them the heads up.  Last thing production wants to do is cause friction with the local authorities.  Plus the teams are an asset, so it would make sense that production would take the necessary steps to protect their assets.  Imagine th PR nightmare if a team ran afoul of local authorities and ended up in the glue because production didn't tell them that it was illegal to wear camo.
Completely agree. Can't imagine production not making sure all local rules are told to, and understood by, all members of all teams.

I was relieved to see that they weren't wearing camo as well, after someone discovered this was against the law here! I would never have thought this might be a law I any if the countries the team visited. I'm sure it made their tasks harder, if they are used to wearing baseball hats to block the sun and couldn't today.  This is the only team we've seen wearing anything with camo in it this season, isn't It?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1592 on: October 16, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
Ive been reading this forum for years, always impressed with the detective abilities and how information is found. Ive also always been impressed on how everyone works together to try and figure things out.  I have to say Im a bit perplexed at this sudden secrecy and need to be so cryptic.

This has always been collaborative. No one "hid" anything or needed to withhold info. It was a group of people working together. What is the sudden need for secrecy. Not just secrecy, but the need to tell people you know something that others don't? Seems off to me and not what , I thought, this board was about.

Anyway, its the first time that I was prompted to post. But if I dont post again, thank you all for years of fun following your investigative work.  Its always made TAR that much more fun for me.

I am new this season...although I've been an amazing race fan for years. I'm also disappointed by how many people are acting...or reacting to posts on here.

It's to the point that some people seem to not care for Team Jody at all...and react as though all they want to do is disprove any posting that references this team. Other people are so Pro Team Jody that they get upset with anything that might contradict what they have posted.

And then you have the majority of us...people that are just fans...trying to have fun..look for clues and trying to work with each other to make educated, estimated, deductions on what's happening in the race.

The problem is...that this negativity is carrying over and making it hard for anyone to post a question...a clue...an opion..an educated guess..without major fallout in return. Or, having to sift through the back and forth, to try and figure out what's going on. Thats not fun for anyone and I see a lot of it happening.

Can we all remember, that regardless of who our favorite team is ( or our least favorite team ) that this forum about all teams in the race. The best way for us to get good, conclusive information about how EACH OF OUR favorite teams is doing in the race, is to piece the clues together as we get them and by everyone being inclusive with the clues we find.

And...try to show some patience for some of the newer, greener fans. I've seen people just making an innocent comment about their favorite team..or just general game chat, and suddenly getting sarcastic, undeserving comments back.

If we put our heads together, we can learn a lot! Ive been AMAZED by the insight Peach & the other unbiased veteran detectives have been able to glean from something that at first seemed like an insigificant clue. Their years of experience in chasing the Amazing Race cant be duplicated.

If you have clues or sources, but don't share the details...well..the rest of us can't take that as 100% fact/proof of something..even if we might want to.  Share the details, so we can all be excited together.  :)  let's work together, not assume facts not in evidence, be respectful of each other's opinions ( even when they differ from our opinion ) to try and get more out of each and every clue we get.

Perfect example today of the pictures and using the theory of analyzing sunlight/lighting/shadows, etc, to help try & establish times each team at the mat. Some people did great...unbiased research about sourounding businesses, direction they faced, etc try and help so we could use this info,  compare against the direction their shadows fell, etc...and it ended up getting buried in the back and forth banter. Too bad we couldn't have worked together more to see if we could have nailed this down better.

Thanks Kitty. Agree with you 100%. Appreciate your thoughtful comments.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline KittyBoo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1593 on: October 16, 2017, 11:49:37 PM »
I'm just amused that we will see CODY having to sing and dance on stage  :funny:

Agreed...lol. if they ended up doing this task...Cody would be amusing to watch. Our luck...they chose the other tadk...hahaha. I bet this will be a very funny episode to see many of the teams doing this task. Hahaha. Now I really can't wait for the episodes to start airing! This is my first season, playing detective on the backend. It is going to be so much fun to watch each week play out TV. Comparing notes on what we think happened..and what really happens!!

Offline PikaBelleChu

• RFF Sr. Member
  • "Pika-Pika-pi? Pika!"
« Reply #1594 on: October 16, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »

That would be S16, Seychelles?

Offline bluesoul

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1595 on: October 16, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »
To sum everything up :
1) Lifeguards reached before Skiers.
2) Lifeguards & Skiers reached at around 1:30 pm (zmb time) according to a source.
3) Jody's pic also propped up later, but clearly has more sunlight.
4) Lifeguards & Skiers pic have more shade.
5) Icecream sellers are usually available when there's shade. We see Lifeguards/Skiers having icecream but not Jody
6) Phil's shirt is also more wrinkled in Skiers/Lifeguards pic than in Jody's
7) Production packed up soon (in an hour according to a source) after Skiers/Lifeguards pic was taken
8) Jody have both hands on their hips
9) Points 2,3,4,5,6,7 are proving that no way Jody reached last, and also, no way Lifeguards/Skiers reached before Jody
10) Also Jody may not have been 1st/2nd from the looks of their body language. So I'll speculate that they would've reached at 3rd/4th position
11) Skiers will get a speed bump for next leg.
12) This leg looks like NEL since both skiers & lifeguards were offered ice cream and Phil was smiling
13) The mystery team is doing better than lifeguards & skiers. We know for sure that its a male-male team.
14) Next leg can be the 2nd and final Double U-Turn leg

Rankings for Leg 7 I expect, based on above points :
1/2) Twins/Debaters
3/4) Jody/Mystery team
5) Lifeguards
6) Skiers

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1596 on: October 16, 2017, 11:58:40 PM »
My analysis of the shadows:
In the photos of the skiers and lifeguards, the shadow of the tree is almost directly below the tree itself.  There is also a shadow in one of the pics of a piece of equipment (I think it's a reflector for lighting) that casts a rectangular shadow directly beneath the equipment.  This leads me to believe that these pictures were taken around noontime.
In the photo of Jody, there is a definite shadow across what we know (or at least strongly believe) to be the South side of the mat.  From the placement of the buildings and the mat, it is my opinion that the buildings on the East side of the street would cast a shadow on the North side of the mat, and that the building on the West side of the street would cast a shadow from the South.  Remember, the sun is in the Northern sky in Harare.
My conclusion, therefore, is that the Jody mat pics were taken after noon.

Offline Winteriscoming

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1597 on: October 17, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »
My guess is either Jody or Ski girls got last but it was a NEL..

Offline aribb19

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1598 on: October 17, 2017, 12:15:41 AM »
dangambler is it tomorrow for you yet, can you tell us the exciting news  :D :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1599 on: October 17, 2017, 12:37:05 AM »
Okay everyone.

This thread has gotten WAY OFF TOPIC today, except for the valiant souls among you trying to DISCUSS THE SPOILERS (and shadows!), which is what this thread is for.(Big thanks to all of you!)

So let me just go over a few BASICS here.

This thread is for DISCUSSION OF SPOILERS. Not discussion of each other, other spoilers, other sites, bragging about info you have that can't be shared.

Our basic guidelines are what is in my signature (respect for each other), a true curiosity about every detail of the race, and "detecting" work that builds upon a collaboration with each other's info.

Our guidelines on posting and sharing are in the first post of the spoiler board and hopefully have been read by you ALL. Production is tricky...so ask before posting if you have any doubts.

ALL racers are respected here. I have no idea where this Jody fans against the world attitude began. I for one could care less that they were on BB. What I DO care about is that they are TAR racers now, and as part of our TARFamily will be given the same courtesy and respect as any other racer. Comments and insight on their past and how it may reflect game play here add depth to the discussion and are welcomed.

I was off line for several hours this evening and returned to a thread filled with off topic chatter, personal comments and attacks on others, unsourced bragging, and worst of all, disappointment with RFF from many of our long term members. Trust me, I share this frustration and disappointment. The majority of the last 5 pages here ARE not what we are here for which is to question/evaluate/discuss/ and hopefully figure out every bit of the TAR wonders that we can. Terrifically proud of our TAR team!

So as a reminder:

#1) RESPECT EACH OTHER. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS.
#2) We love anyone who can bring and share info with us all. If you can, wonderful! This is not a competition, it is a collaboration with all our valued members. Every detail is cherished and evaluated. The search,  the research and the conclusions our whole team makes are the fun!
#3) Please stay ON TOPIC, which is DISCUSSION OF SPOILERS.

And Finally...someone(S) owes me a GIANT  :margarita: and a LARGE bottle of Advil.

We are going back to basics starting NOW.

Be kind to each other. This is supposed to be FUN.

So bring your curiosity, your insights, your finds. And working together we can make this another wonderful season!  :hrt:

RFF's Golden Rule: