Author Topic: TAR 30: Bitch, Moan, Squeal Here! (possible spoilers)  (Read 148743 times)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 30: Bitch, Moan, Squeal Here! (possible spoilers)
« Reply #475 on: January 28, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
This is the first season where I don't like Phil as a host.
Even when his live commentary (with the currently-in-first team passing by) was introduced, I wasn't as annoyed as I am with his Face-Off commentary and general hosting this season.

Desperate enough for that Emmy that they're trying to make him into Probst?

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #476 on: January 28, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
Even when his live commentary (with the currently-in-first team passing by) was introduced, I wasn't as annoyed as I am with his Face-Off commentary and general hosting this season.

Agreed 1000%. Phil is most unique when he's laidback and QUIET. not some awkward sports announcer..

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #477 on: January 28, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »

Agreed 1000%. Phil is most unique when he's laidback and QUIET. not some awkward sports announcer..

Yeah.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2018, 09:32:45 PM »
Phil's popping up at random times starting with TAR25 was okay. But his Head-to-Head  commentary feels so forced. And his Mat Chats this season have been kinda awkward. Also feels a little too contrived as well.

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #479 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
Mat chats are weird. Making Conor look like an idiot, not that he needs much help, but it seems kind of mean. Asking the skiiers who are both married who the eye-candy is????

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2018, 08:52:25 AM »
Random ratchet Harare intersection makes the intro, yet not the ruins of Great Zimbabwe when last season showed safari animals that never actually appeared in either Tanzanian leg?  :cmas29

P.S. Screw the excessive NYC shots when poor SF isn't even represented outside of #TeamExtreme!

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #481 on: February 11, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »
HK should've been given the Seoul treatment from last season, i.e. not shown at all in the intro besides a split-second acknowledgement at the end.

(Now, if Taiwan had been the rightful penultimate leg, then by all means showcase it!)

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #482 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
Kinda want to say that the express pass riddance, is one of the best decision ever by crews. Recent usage was just to avoid U-turn and created an unnecessary drama. Also, it created the actual pure competitive teams that would just running and running without the advantage, and thats what it was great to watch, altho we have to wait until F5 left to do so
what might have been

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #483 on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:43 PM »
I miss the Express Pass... :escape

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #484 on: February 22, 2018, 11:38:01 PM »
The absence of the EP this season was quite bittersweet to me, but more sweet than bitter. Bitter because the Express Pass is one of my favorite things in TAR. Sweet because the lack of it doesn't convince any team to U-turn the team with the EP. For the past few seasons, teams with the EP have been U-turned, because they're seen as a threat with such an advantage. (Becca & Floyd are an exception because of how they received it and how nobody knows about it.)

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #485 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:56 PM »
I don't care at all about the Express Pass so i'm fine with it being gone

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #486 on: February 23, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
The EP started out fine. But once it had been around teams had a pre-chance to think about how to deal with it...which makes it useless.
Not sorry to see it gone, it has outlived its initial charm.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #487 on: February 23, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
The EP started out fine. But once it had been around teams had a pre-chance to think about how to deal with it...which makes it useless.
Not sorry to see it gone, it has outlived its initial charm.
I feel the same way with the long-drawn Speed Bump.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #488 on: February 23, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
I don't mind the speed bump. Teams might know what it means...but they have no idea what it will be.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #489 on: February 24, 2018, 01:44:32 AM »
Gonna talk about final task here... While i really hyped for the final task, and claimed that it was one of the best final task of all time in TAR history, there was a flaw about this task (beside peach's point "properly assemble plane' thing)

You have recognized all stickers that representing 12 legs, and one of them is a magnifying glass (Prague). And the magnifying glass was representing A roadblock in Prague when the supervisor checked their answers with it.

The problem is, not all of the final task doers did the RB, and the one was Henry. I could have sworn that thing Henry changed the piece that cost his chance of be a winner was that magnifying glass, since he  didnt the RB back then, so it would have confused him even more than other racers.

Also Jen on r/TheAmazingRace admitted that magnifying glass was really made them confused since not it wasnt part for the RB at all (i mean yeah it was used as decotation for checking their rb answer tho), but also came from another task in Belgium (Diamond task) which was a detour(altho it was solved by reading the detour task)

My point is they could have gone with all stickers that not only representing each legs, but also be visible with other member teams, especially non participating RB member teams. I mean, Henry and Evan could have discussed it before Henry started to assemble the plane's part, but idk if it was allowed, but crews should have prevented from a final task doer being an disadvantaged, since it was a literally final task, and it would be unfair.

That, however, is my only complaint on final task, and i still happy that they made that final task. Confindently, the best final task ive watched since 12 and 21.
what might have been

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #490 on: February 24, 2018, 03:28:14 AM »
Gonna talk about final task here... While i really hyped for the final task, and claimed that it was one of the best final task of all time in TAR history, there was a flaw about this task (beside peach's point "properly assemble plane' thing)

You have recognized all stickers that representing 12 legs, and one of them is a magnifying glass (Prague). And the magnifying glass was representing A roadblock in Prague when the supervisor checked their answers with it.

The problem is, not all of the final task doers did the RB, and the one was Henry. I could have sworn that thing Henry changed the piece that cost his chance of be a winner was that magnifying glass, since he  didnt the RB back then, so it would have confused him even more than other racers.

Also Jen on r/TheAmazingRace admitted that magnifying glass was really made them confused since not it wasnt part for the RB at all (i mean yeah it was used as decotation for checking their rb answer tho), but also came from another task in Belgium (Diamond task) which was a detour(altho it was solved by reading the detour task)

My point is they could have gone with all stickers that not only representing each legs, but also be visible with other member teams, especially non participating RB member teams. I mean, Henry and Evan could have discussed it before Henry started to assemble the plane's part, but idk if it was allowed, but crews should have prevented from a final task doer being an disadvantaged, since it was a literally final task, and it would be unfair.

That, however, is my only complaint on final task, and i still happy that they made that final task. Confindently, the best final task ive watched since 12 and 21.

What a great find! yes I totally agree with you, no wonder everyone spent more than an hour for that task..
Yes, this is really unfair to the racer who did not do that specific roadblock, there is no way Henry would have known what a magnifying glass mean. Wonder if the result would be different if Evan did that task.

I think in Season 12 when they had this logic game, the items involved were all known to both racers, so this time there is really some flaws in the task planning. They could have used beer to switch for that which is an easy choice.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2018, 04:43:27 AM »

What a great find! yes I totally agree with you, no wonder everyone spent more than an hour for that task..
Yes, this is really unfair to the racer who did not do that specific roadblock, there is no way Henry would have known what a magnifying glass mean. Wonder if the result would be different if Evan did that task.

I think in Season 12 when they had this logic game, the items involved were all known to both racers, so this time there is really some flaws in the task planning. They could have used beer to switch for that which is an easy choice.
One might argue that TK & Rachel did not choose the Bike detour in Amsterdam.
However, they should at least have known it from the detour clue description, unlike Henry with the magnifying glass

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2018, 05:16:12 AM »

However, they should at least have known it from the detour clue description, unlike Henry with the magnifying glass

Yes, agree with that, at least it's a detour and when you read the clue you know at least what it could involve.
Same as the very first memory challenge in Season 3, when Zach did not do the Singapore mermaid detour but he could guess it may involve that animal on the totem.

But for the case of Henry, I think it is not likely he could guess it may be related to Prague, and it seems more difficult as there must be more than 12 pictures. For Bahrain they have the balance and the bird, so that means you also need to eliminate repeated pictures in one leg.

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2018, 05:43:04 AM »
I think it's a bit of an issue when the teams literally could not figure out what the drawing is supposed to depict. That kinda defeats the point of it being a memory task right?

They should have just made it the symbol a phone, which could have easily lead to confusion between using it for the teleboutique in Tangier or the Prague RB. As far as I can tell, the only thing representing Tangier anyway was the fish.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #494 on: February 24, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »
I had trouble figuring out what some of the items were myself Good pickup elthemagnifico!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #495 on: February 24, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »

Yes, agree with that, at least it's a detour and when you read the clue you know at least what it could involve.
Same as the very first memory challenge in Season 3, when Zach did not do the Singapore mermaid detour but he could guess it may involve that animal on the totem.

But for the case of Henry, I think it is not likely he could guess it may be related to Prague, and it seems more difficult as there must be more than 12 pictures. For Bahrain they have the balance and the bird, so that means you also need to eliminate repeated pictures in one leg.

I don't think it would have made a difference if Evan did the task. And if it did make a difference it wouldn't have been because of the magnifying glass. None of us recognized that image as from Prague (even the ones who did the roadblock). We all made the association to the diamond detour, despite not doing it. We knew you needed to view a diamond through a magnifying glass, but since none of us did the task, we had no idea what it actually looked like. Every other image (besides the bird from Bahrain) was something we physically interacted with in some way, shape or form, so the magnifying glass was a terrible choice. There were two other images for Prague as well. One of an animated beer in a bathtub and another of a map of Europe with a red dot on Prague. The issue for me was not about the images though. I address that on my blog this week.

Also, the piece that Henry changed at the end was the vertical stabilizer. He had the magnifying glass on his plane (it was on his propeller). The images he swapped out were Elephant (Thailand)/French Fry (Belgium) for Bats (Hong Kong)/BeerBath (Prague). But if he thought the magnifying glass was representing Belgium and he didn't think he had anything for Prague, it would have made sense. Then he ended up with two images from Prague & Hong Kong and none for Belgium & Thailand.

Regardless, I do agree that the magnifying glass was a very poor choice of images.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:45:38 PM by Jen #TeamExtreme »
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline bus555

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #496 on: February 25, 2018, 12:02:29 AM »
I wonder what was Henry & Evan responses (especially Henry) when he found out he was so close yet so far from the finish line just because of one minor mistake

Offline The Amazing JAJ

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2018, 05:59:23 AM »
How far were Henry and Evan and Kristi and Jen behind Cody and Jessica timewise? Is there any official answer to that?

Offline Jen #TeamExtreme

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Jr. Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »
How far were Henry and Evan and Kristi and Jen behind Cody and Jessica timewise? Is there any official answer to that?

Henry was about 10 minutes behind Jessica. I think he had one more wrong check before he got it right.

I was more than an hour after them. There was a detail of this puzzle that I got hung up on that the other teams didn't notice. Not sure if I was just supposed to not notice, but it hung me up BIG TIME...
“‎Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” Matsuo Basho

Offline The Amazing JAJ

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »
That's really interesting to know since in the show you really lose track of  the time lapses due to editing.
Well, I'll have you know that all of our family was rooting for you two in the finale, and you guys had a great run.