Author Topic: TAR CHINA 4: Ongoing SHOW DIscussion! **contains spoilers**  (Read 77918 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: TAR CHINA 4: Ongoing SHOW DIscussion! **contains spoilers**
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2017, 11:44:54 PM »

Their greatest accomplishment is still that awesome play at the voting U-Turn, otherwise they were never as much as into the racing aspect.

Can you expand on that please? I'd like to know exactly how TAR China presented that.

TAR China presents teams with the Must-Vote (IE, Israel-style) U-Turn while they're still in the hotel. Then, before being released, they're allowed to visit each others' rooms to discuss strategy and who to vote for. On this leg, two teams wanted to vote for Jia & Xiu, and two other teams wanted to vote for Qiang & Zhang. All four of them were basically trying to convince Zhang & Zhang to "join their side" and break the tie. Instead, they decided to vote for someone else entirely, thus ensuring that the vote did end in a tie and BOTH teams would end up being U-Turned, giving them a chance to survive (They didn't)
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »
Okay that's actually a brilliant play of the U-Turn.

Yeah, they voted for Wu Minxia and her partner.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2017, 12:15:08 AM »
Nice, they went to Kingdom Karaoke. The site of the Detour Kelly & Kate crushed and won the leg from.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2017, 12:15:25 AM »
Despite Zhang Jike looking like he was being forced to be here most of the time, his dad was fun and seemed to enjoy everything. (He actually did much of the tasks.) And they still actually did the tasks, except for the balancing RB which was also about Zhang Jike's pre-Race injury if I remember correctly? There are definitely non-celebrity teams on other TARs who have quit simpler tasks for even dumber reasons. And for as much as I can gather without understanding any Chinese, despite him being the oldest Racer and not in the fittest of health, Papa Zhang never used his age as an excuse to gain sympathy or an easy way out of a task. Unlike certain other TAR teams who have.

Reasoning for the withdraw is that Zhang Chuanming hurt is knee in a previous leg, which was making keep going really hard, so they chose to withdraw from the race.

Did the heat and exhaustion also play a part? The show really went out of their way to point out how hot it was. Including Zhang Xiaocheng turning the electric fans off + Papa Zhang sweating like crazy at the Detour. Not understanding what was going on when they left the Detour, I thought he was going to pass out or something.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:03:20 AM by dryedmangoez »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2017, 01:01:32 AM »
Always sad to see a team pull out from the race!

So, it was a Non-Elimination, since they had to withdraw ???

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »
I think they were getting elim'd regardless so that's why I'm not that worried logistics-wise (*especially* given how this franchise is planned lmao)

what a sad loss :( we have a really good Final 4 still though, so I'm good!
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2017, 04:31:03 AM »
Is it safe to assume next Leg is Non-Elimination?

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2017, 11:10:52 PM »
Always sad to see a team pull out from the race!

So, it was a Non-Elimination, since they had to withdraw ???

I think the proper phrasing would be, it was planned to be an Elimination Leg, however as a team withdrew midway through the leg, it turned that into a Non-Elim.

Well, if he was hurt, it's understandable, then :(

Came in late, 2 NEL, lost a Face Off, then if they quit for a lesser reason, for me that'd pretty much rank them up there among the worst TAR teams.

You mean if the excuse was a hurt knee??  :groan:

Worst behaved team ever from what I hear.

It was edited as an excuse. The editing of the entire sequence was all weird. Do have to agree with Peach on the worst behaved, as they left midway through a non-physical detour, complaining that the task was ill suited for 2 dudes, and the leaving sequence seems to imply that there was more to it, like trying to complain to the producers and then just heading back to the hotel. Then just simply disappear from the episode entirely, until almost the final minutes, when teams are heading to the Pit Stop, and placement board says that they gave-up on the leg, followed by filmed interview with them explaining why they dropped out.

Considering that back in Leg 2, they offered Wu MinXia the option of giving-up  on the leg, instead of racing by herself, then if this Vietnam leg were non-elim, I get the impression that by this reasoning they would be even allowed to return on the following leg if they so wished, which from most of their approach from the race, doesn't seem something they would have wanted.

I am a tad bit curious to check out public reaction, but still too annoyed to go through Jike fangirling posts, to check it out.  But I may be even more annoyed if there was no backlash, considering last year Liu Xiang got the silliest backlash, by being game with the race by going all in with the task that had him cosplaying Sailor Moon.

Weirdly, at least from the the keyword searches and alerts I have saved on my feeds (haven't checked weibo), people seem to be more concerned about the fact that FanBinBin, might be pregnant, and questioning producers if having her team ousted early was actually planned on purpose.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
No episode this week? :(

No results have come up on the Chinese Wikipedia page as they would have by now.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »
Yes, there was. Unlike the previous 2 weeks, when I had a long weekend and a Friday off due to my overdue vacation week, so I was able to do more live-ish updates, expect these last 3 weeks to occur later. I only had time to post a link for one of the feeds, which I just updated with a better link, I might not even have time for that on finale week, as I have a work event, so expect further delays for that week.

Well here some overdue stuff.
Only starting my watch now, so will keep updating this for the next 90-minutes or so.

Leg 8 - Zhuhai and Macau, China

Starting Point:
Entrance of Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, located at Zhuhai

Teams will depart 1 minute apart from each other, following the finishing order from the previous leg.

Teams will find their first clue projected on the LED screen roof of a part of the park, which will project 12 different "clues", but only one contains the actual clue for their next task.
The message itself mentions all racers at some point welcoming them to the resort, and also introduces the several attractions the resort provides.

RI: Travel to  Penguin World and search for your next clue.

ARI: 企鹅趁重 "Weighing Penguins" - Feed and Weight 10 different penguins, which can be identified by their different colored bracelets. Two teams may perform the task at the same time, with up to 10 minute long rounds.

RI: Travel to Whale Shark Exhibit Aquarium and search for your next clue.

ARI: 与鱼共舞 "Dancing with Fishes" - One of the racers must dive into the Aquarium, while the other one must stay outside with 5 pictures of different animals. The racer outside will show the pictures of the animals which must be found and photographed by the one diving. All 5 pictures must be approved to receive the next clue and also a pair of Ocean Genie key-chains which must be taken to the pit-stop (it's a easier to transport version of the Travelocity Gnome task, serving the same role, as Chimelong was a major sponsor for this episode and also kinda with the play of treasures for this season)

- I understand why they were ARi, probably due to the resort being major sponsor during the leg, but with some added difficulty, like maybe more penguins to be weighed and more pictures to be taken, they could've worked well as detour options, instead of 2 ARI. -

ARI: Travel to 澳門英記餅家(Pastelaria Yeng Kee) in Macau with the provided S7 car and produce 20 quality Almond Cakes to receive your next clue.

There were 4 stations, but never more than 2 teams making the cakes at the same time.

RI: Travel to Grado 'Mini' Golf and search for your next clue.

Face-Off: 红黄大战 - Big Red and Yellow Battle.
Someone pointed out it's same task already done in other TAR versions.
Team ahead, have the right to appoint who will be competing, 1st team to have all 3 circles with their color wins. Each circle is formed by 2 pieces and their distributed as a wide triangle. All 6 pieces must be even for a second be in one color for a team to win.

RI: Travel to Venetian Macau Shopping Mall and learn a opera piece, determined by the chosen gondolier, and perform it correctly during a gondola ride.
The available options were:
Funicula Funicula
Santa Lucia

Pit Stop: Sands Cotai Central

1st - Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue - Prize: One Year Supply of HeiHeiRu Products, which winners can choose to donate for Hope Primary School
2nd - Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
3rd - Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia
4th - Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun - Non-Elim

Last leg there were no RB, this time around, no RB or Detour. Well, the way the Face-Off is built is kind off Rb-ish, as only one racer have to compete. Very weird leg altogether, with a bit too much sponsor interference.
And the Cake Shop task could've totally be a RB, instead of another ARI.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:16:57 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »
So was the Face Off that thing where you touch one square to change its colour, and all the surrounding squares change to an alternating colour, and the goal is to get them all the same?

It's kind of a cliché video game puzzle. At least in the Legend of Zelda series.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »
So was the Face Off that thing where you touch one square to change its colour, and all the surrounding squares change to an alternating colour, and the goal is to get them all the same?

It's kind of a cliché video game puzzle.

It wasn't just touching, there was actually effort flipping, the two pieces from each point that forms the circle. There were 3 circles, 6 pieces (2 pieces per circle) and 3 points to run around.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:23:00 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
SURELY this has to be the last non-elimination leg! :funny: :groan:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2017, 11:42:21 PM »
It was an okay Leg. I do think better than last week's.

I don't know how HaMerotz did the Face Off/Double Battle, but it's most likely like TARPH2 (both produced by ActiveTV). On TARPH, it was a best of three so both team members had to compete. If it was tied after two, then the winners of the first two rounds would go again for the 3rd to decide the winner of the Duel. I think I prefer it TARPH's way. Here on TAR China, it was definitely a simplified version.  I think it would've been more fun and exciting if it was Best of 3.

Funny though here on TAR China, the teams flipped the pieces very neatly. on TARPH, it didn't matter if the pieces were neatly together so much as long as they were flipped to the color you needed. So that part was a little extra bit of a challenge here on TAR China if it was part of the rules. Otherwise, the teams just made it harder on themselves. lol

Also, there were 7 teams instead of 4 on TARPH, so there was a little more tension there as well.

I do prefer TAR China's version of the gondola task over TAR29's since here the teams had to memorize the song. I think teams had a sheet of music to read from on TAR29?

I also think the dive/aquarium task was better here than on TARA5 since teams had to swim around a little more and search for the animals which could be anywhere. TARA5's was basically guessing, but still tricky.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2017, 03:09:56 AM »
There really is a heavy focus on Asia this time around.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
Because I enjoy making crude route maps...Here is the route in visual form. Like a banner without one side of it :lol:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:17:49 PM by Maanca »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »
It was edited as an excuse. The editing of the entire sequence was all weird. Do have to agree with Peach on the worst behaved, as they left midway through a non-physical detour, complaining that the task was ill suited for 2 dudes, and the leaving sequence seems to imply that there was more to it, like trying to complain to the producers and then just heading back to the hotel. Then just simply disappear from the episode entirely, until almost the final minutes, when teams are heading to the Pit Stop, and placement board says that they gave-up on the leg, followed by filmed interview with them explaining why they dropped out.

Weirdly, at least from the the keyword searches and alerts I have saved on my feeds (haven't checked weibo), people seem to be more concerned about the fact that FanBinBin, might be pregnant, and questioning producers if having her team ousted early was actually planned on purpose.

1) Can you recap what their filmed explanation was please??

2) Aren't celebrities PAID to do the race? Maybe they could only afford her for so many legs. :funny:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
1) Can you recap what their filmed explanation was please??

2) Aren't celebrities PAID to do the race? Maybe they could only afford her for so many legs. :funny:

Let's go on inverse order, cause the 2nd question is actually easier.
2) I believe they are paid, on a per episode basis, like they get paid in Asia for participating or being part of any variety / non-scripted show for a full day of filming, even if it's a short leg. Unless something changes on the way the show is produced, we'll never see a TBC leg, and that's why flying time is also never counted in this version. The following leg starts where it starts. Back on the issue of payment, I believe all participating celebs get a flat rate per leg (but it is very likely a generous flat rate), and mentioning the main sponsor during the race is also part of the contract.
Fan Bin Bin case is also interesting, as she's featured as the headlining racer when the season started to be promoted back in march, with that she also got a bit deal out of this, to become the face of HeiHeiRu products.
I don't think there was producer meddling in this, they were both clearly sad and disappointed when they were eliminated, that's makes even more annoyed by a team that remained just giving up on the race.

1) Was planning to add some caps, but they might actually make the post harder to read. If someone wants them, just let me know, and I can add them into the post.

We should start in the middle.
- After being last on the Face-Off, Jike and Chuaming are the last to arrive and start one of the detour tasks. They decide to go with the wedding invitation task.
- They struggle with the heat, but are able to complete 6 invitations required, and submit them to approval. All 6 are denied.
- Then we get via post-filmed commentary shown as voice-over: "It was a lot of hard work that went unrecognized. But the main thing is, there are certain tasks that are really hard to complete with two people of the same gender".
- After one attempt, they go " I give-up".
Then we get a brief cut, and see them boarding a taxi: "Let's go, Let's Go Home. Let's go back to the Hotel".
Chuaming leaves the taxi and says "Let me find the producer. Let's not leave without notifying anyone".
Then we just get written message on screen that they have given-up completing any other tasks from the leg, afterwards they simply disappear from the leg until final minutes.

Near the end of the episode, we get an update on the placement boards, showing that they have voluntarily withdrawn.
Then we go to final minutes, after the last team racing had checked-in.
Allan explains that Chang Jike and Chang Chuaming have decided for Persional Reasons to leave the race.

And finally we get the post filmed interview:
Jike: " During the Face-Off, as I was standing-up, my dad comes to me, mentioning that his knees are getting more painful, it's was still bearable enough to move, it will slow-us down and it might get worse. As it might get worse, we agreed that we might not be able to completing other tasks" (This is a summary, as I'm too lazy to translate line-by-line)
Chuaming: "This time Dad, really pulled us back, but it wasn't on purpose."

Then they go into how he's an older racer than the other people participating, and how Jike learned a lot from his father, and he is still his biggest supprter. With hindsight, it's fairly positive exit edit.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
That's too bad.

Imagine if they had made the baskets a Road Block with Chuaming  most likely doing it. Yikes! But that's okay. They Raced well enough. Certainly put in more effort than non-celebrity teams on other TARs, tbh.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
Links to watch penultimate leg updated on how to watch thread. As usual will update if I find better links later on.
ETA: Updated Leg 9 with a good link. And also ran a quick verification to the previous one, swapping the ones that have been taken down.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, won't be able to properly cover it until later as I'm at work right now.

Here we go:

This is the last elimination leg.

Starting Point: ??

Teams will depart 1 minute apart from each other, following the finishing order from the previous leg, they will receive their first clue,an envelope containing the leg money and also a piece of Buddhi Batiks Saree cloth, additional pieces will be provided after each task, completing it is essential to complete the leg.

RI: Travel to Airbus Helicopters and search for your next clue.

- Showing all teams negotiating with their taxi driver to stay with them the whole day, and only 3 succeding. This will probably come into play to whoever gets eliminated.

RB: 谁能掌控全场 - Who can control Everything?
RB performer will receive training and instruction, following that both racers will board a helicopter, and following the pilot's instructions a few basic moves must be completed within 20 minutes, including 1) accelerating, slowing the craft; 2) Steady Flight Around for 360o for 30 seconds; and 3) Raising and Lowering the craft. Must complete the tasks to the approval of the pilot to receive the next clue and another piece from the selected Buddhi Batiks Saree. Two teams may perform the task at the same time. Once time limit is reached, if all 3 tasks had not been completed, the team must go to the back of the line to try again, and complete the other tasks.

- Zhang Xiaocheng who's performing the RB, mentions he's afraid of heights. Makes one wonder how certain racers would have fared in this task.

RI: Travel to Taman Negara and search for your next clue.

ARI: 土著吹箭 - Blowing Darts -
Blow darts are traditional weapons used to by ancient locals, each team must learn to use this traditional weapon, and using only 10 darts must hit 3 Pineapples to receive the next clue and and another piece from the selected Buddhi Batiks Saree. Each racer must at least hit one of the Pineapples to proceed, so it's not possible to just Flo throught the task.
Two teams may perform the task at a time, so if the dart limit is reached, if there's a line the team must go to the back of the line to try again.

Speed Bump: Board located at Taman Negara.
榴梿忘返 - Durian Forget
Each racer must crack open a Durian, package the fruit gums properly following the provided model, then eat the fruits to complete the task and proceed with the race.

RI: Travel to Taman Botani Negara Shah Alam and search for your next clue.

RB: 谁想漫步林间 - Who want to cross the trail?
Must be performed by the racer who did not perform the first RB in this leg.
Must climb a 10m high tree, and cross the rope bridges between 3 trees to collect the clue pieces, to receive the next clue and another saree piece.

ARI: Travel to Murut Long House, and join in the traditional dance.
雨林蹦床 - Rainforest Trampoline
It's the TAR24 Leg 4 RB, as an ARI.
Perform Lansaran dance, jump on bamboo trampoline to grab a TAR colored flag. Both Racers must dance and jump.

ARI: 巴迪蠟染 - Batik
Travel to Batik Workshop with all pieces from the Buddhi Batiks Saree collected during the leg, which will serve as basis of the Saree pattern that teams must recreate.

What a competitive Final 4. Even though placements don~t really change, teams are always only minutes apart from each other.

Pit Stop: Berjala Times Square Hotel Rooftop. Last team to arrive will be eliminated.
1st - Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia - Prize: One Year Supply of HeiHeiRu Products, which winners can choose to donate for Hope Primary School
2nd - Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun
3rd - Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
4th - Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue - Eliminated

I guess it didn't matter that Quian Zi and Zhang Xingyua had the help of a private car to reach the final ARI.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:02:38 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
So the Roadblock's pretty much the TARCan4 Roadblock except in a helicopter instead of a plane, from the sound of it. A full 360 degree banked turn.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »
That's actually kind of a cruel Speed Bump. Durians are known as the world's worst-smelling fruit.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
Hoping Wu wins!! :D

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »
How long was this episode?! That's a lot of tasks for a single-episode leg that's not the finale.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
All great tasks, though maybe a little bit of Linear Leg since a lot of the tasks were first come, first served/get in line tasks. Of course the teams never passed on their first attempts, so teams got a fair chance.