Author Topic: TAR CHINA 4: Ongoing SHOW DIscussion! **contains spoilers**  (Read 77819 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: TAR CHINA 4: Ongoing SHOW DIscussion! **contains spoilers**
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
Hello! Is anybody able to find me the Hometown/birthplace and/or ages of Deng Bin & Wang Xinyu?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:56:57 PM by G.B. »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 12:13:39 AM »
I'm just starting to watch the ep now and I'm kinda confused about how the Face Off works. I'd definitely be one of the teams who couldn't figure out the proper strategy.  :knock: lol

It's like, I think I've got it then I don't. lol
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:20:27 AM by dryedmangoez »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 12:37:49 AM »
I'm just starting to watch the ep now and I'm kinda confused about how the Face Off works. I'd definitely be one of the teams who couldn't figure out the proper strategy.  :knock: lol

It's like, I think I've got it then I don't. lol

"Teams would get to enjoy a Viking feast. One team member from each of the two teams would enter a room with a table full of food, and would have one minute to load their plates with food. After this, whichever team's plate weighed more would be served to their partner. If they could clean their plate in less than 5 minutes, they would be declared the winner. If not, the opposing team would win. Teams would receive a map piece along with their next clue. "
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 04:16:56 AM »
Okay.
So I guess the good strategy would be to fill your plate up as much as you can while keeping an eye on the other team. And keep your plate just a little less than the other team so they'll have a ton of food and no chance to finish it?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
Notice: Wiki coverage of this week's episode will be delayed, as I will be out of town. If you are able, you can help expedite the process when I return by transcribing (in Chinese characters) the names of the Detours and/or the Roadblock prompt(s)

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »
Leg Start: From the Hotel - Following the finishing order from the previous leg, teams will depart 2 minutes apart from each other. Attention there's a Yield in this leg.

Detour: 百里挑一 (Cream of the Crop) or 众里寻TA(他/她) (Looking for Him of Her - They probably decided to use PinYin "TA" to write it, so they don't need specify gender)  - BTW those are the more comprehensible translations, however if we'd like to keep the word play aspect from the Detour intro it would Find One in Hundreds / Find A Person among Many.
In "Cream of the Crop" teams must head to Gamla Stans candy store and find The Amazing Race marker hidden inside the packages of Polkagris Kokeri candy. If package is empty, the candy must eaten. They don't need to eat it themselves, they can offer the candy for other people, the only thing cannot happen is throw the candy away.
"Looking for Him/Her" teams must head to Nobel Museum and find the chairs containing the signatures from determined 4 Nobel Laureate, specified on a sheet of paper, by finding the signature and marking the chair number. The forms contain different names in each one of them. [Have I ever mentioned how I hate the way Chinese people translate western names? That kind of comes into play in this task]
Tasks have limited spots, with only 4 teams allowed to perform it at the same time.
Teams will collect clue and a glass piece after task completion.

Curiously Top 3 teams all choose Museum (which also happens to be all the teams to include Taiwanese racers in them - not important for the leg, but hard not to notice being Taiwanese myself), while the other 4 all choose Candy Store. I've never been a fan of needle in haystack tasks. I still have nightmares from the licorice task from TAR11.
The candy task is not that different from the licorice nightmare, but the difficulty from the museum task is a combination of names on sheet written in Chinese, Chinese people having hard time reading cursive, which is usually how the signatures will appear.

Route Info: Travel by Metro and head to Kungsträdgården to search for your next clue.
And I keep loving the Chinese seasons inclusion of local metro stations. Last season was in Russia, this time the gorgeous Swedish stations.

ARI: Head to Coop Market, collect plastic bottles along the way which must be inserted into the collection machine, the money awarded from the exchange will be donated to charity. The team that exchange the most, with get a mystery advantage / award in the next leg.
Collection Data
Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia - 7g
Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue - 3g
Zhang Jike &Zhang Chuanming - 2g
Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng - 8g
Xu Yang Yuzhuo & Lu Ting SNH48 - 3g
Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun - 8g
FanBingBing & Evonne Hsieh - 13g

RI: Travel to Swedish Film Institute (Filmhuset - Svenska Filminstitutet) and search for your next clue.

Face Off - "King of Games"
Teams must compete on solving a box maze / puzzle. One team member will remain on the platform to direct the movements, where the other team member must go down to the maze / puzzle to move the red boxes. The maze / puzzle is solved once there's clear path between the beginning and the end where they will find a Sugar (sponsored) cellphone with next clue and another bag with glass piece

RI: Travel to Skansen Park and search for your next clue.

RB: 誰是能工巧匠 - Who's the Crafstman?
Head to Glasshytten and using the glass pieces collected during the race as raw material, learn how to blow glass ball similar to the model provided. The glass ball must be approved to receive the next clue. There's only 2 stations, so only 2 teams can perform the task at the same time.

Pit Stop: Travel to Lusthusportens Park and search for the Pit Stop

1st - Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia - Prize: One Year Supply of HeiHeiRu Products, which winners can choose to donate for Hope Primary School (Again)
2nd - Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
3rd - Xu Yang Yuzhuo & Lu Ting SNH48
4th - Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue
5th - Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun
6th - Zhang Jike & Zhang Chuanming
7th - FanBingBing & Evonne Hsieh[Eliminated]

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:10:43 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 01:11:57 AM »
Okay, really? Another case of this, where a team quits/skips the Face Off, so the last place team gets to skip the penalty? It makes no sense at all. The penalty is for the last team remaining, and the girls WERE the last team remaining. Also, SUPER (sarcasm) smart, putting a Face Off immediately after a Yield.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 01:27:20 AM »
Well, at least they actually still had to do the Face Off task. Unlike other TARs lol

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 05:59:30 AM »
Sad to see them go, but all the reasoning that they were a really strong team counted against them this time.

A few interesting things I forgot to mention.

When Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue met up Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia for the Face Off, they got to ask them why the latter u-turned them the previous leg. And they got to explain their entire thought process, basically explaining that they were the only choice from the strong teams racing.

FanBingBing & Evonne Hsieh getting the Yield and being left alone at the Face-Off. Qiang Zi was explicit on the girls being a strong team and the fact that they wanted to play the rivalry to the end. While Joe Cheng basically explained that as the face-off was a mental task, they didn't want to risk facing them, as the the girls are clearly stronger than them in that aspect, thus the decision to EP the challenge.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 04:43:41 PM »
Leg 5 - Hefei

Starting Point - JAC Plant

In this leg teams must collect 4 items including Chinese Brush, Writing Ink, Inkstone and Paper, which are essential to reach the pit stop.

Teams will start 1 minute apart from each other, following the finishing order from Stockholm-2 leg.
They will start the leg by taking a box which will be used to collect the items mentioned before and a card with a chassis number, which they must match to one of the 140 cars parked outside, to receive their next clue.

RB - 谁能眼观六路 - Who can look six ways?
Teams can choose to be passengers or self-drive to 江淮汽車技術中心Jianghuai Car Technology Center. There the Rb performer must drive a S7 Car, in which all rear mirrors have been blocked, so one must rely on the car's 360 degrees navigation system complete the obstacle course in under 5 minutes to receive the next clue and one of the items that must be collected during this leg. Only two teams are allowed to go through the course at the same time.

RI - Travel to 合肥岸上草原 - Hefei Shore Park? to search for your next clue.

Man, they sure love their Face-Offs....

Face-Off - 勝著危亡 - The Victorious One.
Hefei is a historical city that witnessed several battles in the past, thus this is a setting of a Tug-of-War battle over the lake. Teams must choose two locals to join their team for the face off. All teams must be composed of 2 men and 2 women, including the racers themselves. To win the Face Off, the winning team must pull the opposing team into the water to receive the next clue and the next "treasure" item.

Detour: 一紙千金 A Very Valuable Paper or 愿者上钓 Taking the Bait
One is using old techniques to make paper (each team must make 3 sheets of paper or reasonable thichness - this task looks familiar), the other is to "fish" Crayfish (each team must fish 30).

RB: 谁能入乡随俗 Who Can act as a Local?
Travel to Anhui Huangmei Opera Theater, must learn a song and perform it succesfully.

Travel to 微園黃山園 and hand the "treasures" obtained during the leg to 包公皇上 to obtain the clue for the Pit Stop

Pit Stop - Swan Lake

Rather curious what would be advantage a team might have gotten, had the team who won the recycled bottle challenge had survived the previous leg.

- Additional Treasuse Item - Fan from greeters
1st - Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia - Prize: One Year Supply of HeiHeiRu Products, which winners can choose to donate for charity
2nd - Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue
3rd - Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
4th - Zhang Jike & Zhang Chuanming
5th - Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun - Arrived 3rd, but got a 15 minutes penalty for something that happened during the face-off.
6th - Xu Yang Yuzhuo & Lu Ting SNH48 (Eliminated)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:46:13 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 09:58:45 PM »
I'm not sure if you can confirm this or not, but my impression was that Zheng & Wang got their penalty because they told their tug of war teammates to lose on purpose? It sort of reminded me of that controversy during the Olympics where the Chinese(?) teams lost on purpose to face weaker opponents and got kicked out. Was that it, maybe?

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »
I'm not sure if you can confirm this or not, but my impression was that Zheng & Wang got their penalty because they told their tug of war teammates to lose on purpose? It sort of reminded me of that controversy during the Olympics where the Chinese(?) teams lost on purpose to face weaker opponents and got kicked out. Was that it, maybe?

Nope. That's not it all.
The Face Off rule states that the losing side must drop into the water, but they didn't, that's the reason for the penalty.

Overall, not a fan of this leg, it got some weird elements especially on the design of the 1st RB of the leg and the 3rd Face-Off of the season.

The 1st RB clearly a sponsor feature task, makes me wonder why they had both racers inside the car at the same time. It's a task that could be done with the RB performer and a judge in the car. I kept expecting all the teams to get penalties, if they followed classic TAR rules. Because the main strategy that teams figured to go through the obstacles faster, as the driver was only allowed to use the navigation system to guide them visually, what ended up happening were the inactive teammate playing lookout role from the backseat, which allowed them to give additional instructions. That's part of the reason SNH girls and WuMingXia teams struggled the most. The girls cause they only learned to drive recently, and the latter, only her husband drives, she doesn't, so she couldn't help as much as a lookout.

- Funny TAR joke - Joe Cheng mentioning that he doesn't usually drives, and he never really drove a car with automatic shift, as when he got his license when he was 18 was with a manual shift car.

The Face-Off was brutal, seems like the losing team was kept under the summer sun on the plastic island while waiting for a new opposing team, the task while cool visually, it does provide little chance for a losing team to overcome the opponents, as they don't really get any real rest, while a new arrival are just running down, after a car ride with AC.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:20:38 AM by NumfarPTB »

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »
Leg 6 - Singapore

- No Line-up start. Teams receive first clue at their rooms.

RI: Head to hotel Lobby and vote for the team you want to be U-Turned. Most voted team must complete both sides of the U-Turn.
Teams will vote following the finishing order from previous leg, then retrieve their next clue.
The time difference from last leg, was actually applied on when each team departed.

Teams - U-Turn Votes
Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia - [Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue]
Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue - [Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia]
Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng - [Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia]
Zhang Jike & Zhang Chuanming - [Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng]
Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun - [Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue]

RI: Travel to Chinese Garden and look for the statue of Confucius and search for your next clue.

ARI: 孔夫子曰 - "In the words of Confucius"
Must memorize a phrase said by Confucius and reproduce it correctly using Chinese Brush and Paper to receive your next clue and a "Toy Brick". Not all actors will say a phrase from Confucius and teams cannot repeat on writing a phrase already completed by the previous team.

- no teams this season who grew-up outside of Asia, so they should have learned this in High School. -

Detour: 金灿灿 Shiny Shiny Gold or 红彤彤 Bright Bright Red.
In Shiny Shiny Gold, travel to clothing store in Little India, and change into Traditional Indian Clothing, than travel to another store where they must pick-up gold jewelry to wear. They must pick-up enough jewelry that weigh over 5kg. 
In Bright Bright Red, travel to Lau Pa Sat market, and change into employee uniforms, and must crack open enough Lobster meat to weigh over 500g (0,5kg).

RI: Travel to Chinatown, and look for the Uturn vote result.
Uturned teams:
Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia
Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue

If 2 teams get the same amount of votes, both are Uturned - I am calling Zhang Jike strategy of slowing 2 teams, as the inverse of Twinnies turning a W-Turn board into a Single UTurn.

ARI:狮王争霸 - "The Lion King" -  Travel to Club/Association?,  learn and perform a Dancing Lion routine to receive your next clue.

ARI: 乱花惭欲迷 - “Find the details by squandering your eyes" - Travel to Kim Choo Kueh Chang, follow the 3 pictures on the provided on a Sugar Phone, to find the 3 clothing items with matching prints. Put the clothes on one of the racers to be judged, must get approved to receive the next clue.

RI: Travel to Sentosa and search for your next clue.

RB:谁是最稳的? - Who is the most stable?
At Singapore iFly, must complete 3 determined moves inside the wind tunnel to receive the next clue.

RI: Assemble the Toy Model using the toy bricks received to find out the Pit Stop Destination.

Pit-Stop: Merlion Park

1st -  Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun - Prize: One Year Supply of HeiHeiRu Products, which winners can choose to donate for Hope Primary School
2nd - Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
3rd - Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia
4th - Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue
5th - Zhang Jike & Zhang Chuanming - Non-Elim

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:55:06 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
So a team who came into the race a leg late has already been saved a second time =/

This season's Jin Xing and Hans

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »
So a team who came into the race a leg late has already been saved a second time =/

See, this is why I HATE how china films the show! I believe, I you (the celebrity) cannot be avabile for filming in that certain leg, then don't apply for the show.

Why cant China just film in one like the others!!!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
its been this way since season 2 in a way the weird production value IS part of its appeal

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 08:32:51 PM »

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I will forgive it even more since they led the discussion into tying the votes between the two teams who came to scheme against each other so they both get U-Turned <3 <3 <3 it's basically the TAR 3-2-1 equivalent <3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:50:46 PM by Ray! »
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »
No surprise it was a Non-Elimination of course.

Solid Leg. It was a very Singapore Leg. lol

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »
Leg 7 - Ho Chi Mihn City - Vietnam.

Starting Point - ?? Park

All teams depart 2 minutes apart following the finishing order from the previous leg.

ARI: Load 100 Shrimp baskets on the bikes and carry them to marked location.
(It's the TAR29 RB widely simplified as an ARI , they could work as a team both on assembly and travel, and the amount of travel also seemed shorter)

RI: Travel to Central Post Office and search for the next clue

- Post Card Clue with address.

- Speed Bump Board also the Central Post Office:
一千個名子 - One Thousand Names - Find among 1500 postcards, the only one with your name on it.

On the address provided on post cards
Face Off: teams must throw and catch 10 dishes of "fried rice?" dishes over the fence and eat one to complete the challenge. The first team to complete it will win the face off.

Detour: 含情脉脉 (Affectionate Love) or 喜气洋洋 (Beaming with Happiness)

In 含情脉脉 (Affectionate Love) travel to Ho Chi Minh City Zoo and Botanical Garden and change into traditional Wedding clothing and complete photo-shoot from the provided model, with different backgrounds.

In 喜氣洋洋 (Beaming with Happiness) travel to ?? and recreate 6 hand-made wedding invitations.

ARI: Travel to Kingdom Karaoke (Same Location as TAR CAN 4??) - 卡拉永远OK (Forever Karaoke) - Learn and perform one of four classic Chinese songs that were rerecorded in vietnamese.
The choices are
对面的女孩看过来 - Chosen by Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia
爱拼才会赢
潇洒走一回 - Chosen by Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun / Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
上海滩 - Chosen by Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue

Curiously there are two songs who were originally in mandarin, one in cantonese and one in taiwanese among the available options.
The hardest challenge is that all are very popular songs in their original form, and memorize them in vietnamese without deviating to the original lyrics is really hard.

RI: Travel to the Pit Stop located at Ho Chi Minh City Hall

Pit Stop - Ho Chi Minh City Hall - Received Scarf from greeter.
1st - Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia - Prize: One Year Supply of HeiHeiRu Products, which winners can choose to donate for Hope Primary School
2nd - Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun
3rd - Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
4th - Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue - Announced as last, because at that point there were only 4 teams racing, but as a team withdrew they were still in the race.
5th - Zhang Jike & Zhang Chuanming - Withdrew. Gave-up during Detour and never completed the following challenges.

No RB or collected items during the leg.

Reasoning for the withdraw is that Zhang Chuanming hurt is knee in a previous leg, which was making keep going really hard, so they chose to withdraw from the race.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:17:19 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »
Well, if he was hurt, it's understandable, then :(

Came in late, 2 NEL, lost a Face Off, then if they quit for a lesser reason, for me that'd pretty much rank them up there among the worst TAR teams.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
If we had Bitch, Moan or Squeal thread for this, this would fit there....

Completely fine with them withdrawing. Was never really into their approach to the race. Wonder how hard casting tried to nab them, to even allow them to miss 1st leg due to prior commitments, as the impression I got is that neither really were too much into the race.

Their greatest accomplishment is still that awesome play at the voting U-Turn, otherwise they were never as much as into the racing aspect.

The dad did seem more enthusiastic most of times, but JiKe, demeanor seems to be stuck at "I don't really care about this" attitude, made it into something even more annoying, considering all the fan-girling posts I had to endure through weibo while tracking the filming of the season. My thought was, "this is the dude the people been fangirling about, WTF?".

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
I can't say I'm surprised. Not to be mean, but looking at Chuanming even from the beginning, I thought 'he doesn't look like the healthiest person...'

This was a pretty poor leg (except for the Karaoke task). I mean, really, you put the Speed Bump immediately before the Face Off? All that does is punishes whoever is 4th at the Face Off. And then to have another food related Face Off, making the loser immediately have a disadvantage because their stomachs are already full. The Detour was okay, if a little dull. I did get quite a laugh out of those two tourists that basically got drafted into being camera people.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2017, 10:09:35 PM »
I prefer another eating Face Off than TAR Canada's sports Face Offs lol I'm surprised though that the teams really went at it to eat the very heavy sticky rice even if they were behind in catching their 10. I was expecting a team to just give up once the other team already starting eating. But teams actually finished their rice. Unless it was part of the rules. Of course, Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng were able to catch up and win the Face Off so I guess it was worth a shot.

And oooo! It's the Duel Duel from TARPH2 with the flipping coins in the next Leg! (Though I know ActiveTV did it with HaMerotz 4 I think which filmed before TARPH, but aired after hehe)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »

Their greatest accomplishment is still that awesome play at the voting U-Turn, otherwise they were never as much as into the racing aspect.

Can you expand on that please? I'd like to know exactly how TAR China presented that.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2017, 11:41:14 PM »
Well, if he was hurt, it's understandable, then :(

Came in late, 2 NEL, lost a Face Off, then if they quit for a lesser reason, for me that'd pretty much rank them up there among the worst TAR teams.

You mean if the excuse was a hurt knee??  :groan:

Worst behaved team ever from what I hear.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.