Author Topic: TAR CHINA 4: Ongoing SHOW DIscussion! **contains spoilers**  (Read 77933 times)

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
And we have an airdate for the season premiere:

Source: http://weibo.com/5155040506/FdZLa63u1?refer_flag=1001030103_
(posted a few hours ago)

深圳卫视极速前进
#极速前进#期待“新滨兄弟”的表现呦~8月4日晚22:00,我们不见不散~[亲亲]

08/04 (Fri) - 10pm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:56:03 AM by NumfarPTB »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: TAR CHINA 5: Ongoing SHOW DIscussion! **contains spoilers**
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:15:13 AM »
10pm on a Friday night. Geez, is that a bad time for Chinese television ratings wise?

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
10pm on a Friday night. Geez, is that a bad time for Chinese television ratings wise?

Never lived in Mainland China or ain't deep enough to its local media to tell you that, however I do have the Taiwanese perspective, if it shares any similarities, Friday Night 10pm time slot has been through years and still is a major primetime slot for television programming.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »
Plenty of uploads on YouTube! Hehe. Just search for "极速前进第"
Can't wait to watch it.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
Just created a Links to Watch thread for those interested.

- Loved how physically demanding it was, and with the 80 minute of run time, they get to fit a lot of RI in this.
- Not sure how I feel about this new trend about EP being randomly given by luck, it happened on TAR29 and technically also during TARCAN5
- No RB in this leg, curious how this affect a certain thing from Leg 2.

Discussing the leg, and some other things, will be spoiler tagging just in case.
Show content
- With Disneyland Hong Kong being featured in Leg 1 Hong Kong, I wouldn't be surprised if Shanghai Disney gets some plug during final leg in Shanghai maybe that could be a tip if we have someone on the ground, as that hasn't been filmed yet.
- The first task at Disney was weirdly random enough that I hope other versions get to reproduce it in some way. The teams are tasked to look at some luggage contents, and from that mention anything that might tie it to something that happened in previous seasons of the race. It's a little bit anything can be accepted, but they way it was designed, some people were clearly overthinking.
- As suggested on the initial press release, the season is subtitled - Raiders of the Lost Arc - so a bunch of items are being collected throughout the race, wonder how that will be played in the final leg.
- I LOVED the detours. The math one if one is meticulous it can be a fast task to complete, also I loved that they were forced to do all the math by hand. And the beer infused with Chinese medicine ingredients was also very awesome.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
Enjoy! Y'all can discuss the show LIVE here as seems like we can easily see it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:26:30 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:31:29 PM »
THAT PREMIERE WAS FANTASTIC AND I AM #SHOOK

okay caps lock fangasm aside, that premiere was legit good! I LOVE the tasks (both in difficulty / cultural relevance) and I LOVE this cast (everyone seems to be delivering, if not at least aight thus far)
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 12:36:23 AM »
Best Hong Kong Leg ever?  :D

It really was great. And again, I don't understand Chinese at all, so I'm basically just trying to follow along, but I still very much enjoyed it.

The first task Disney was interesting. You could have even the vaguest knowledge about the previous season. I wonder how that would work on TARUS with teams who have never even seen TAR before lol

The dragon boats were a nice opening task. The crossing the lake was surprisingly physical. The incense ceremony was a nice Active Route Info task, but it could easily be a nice Road Block too. And the Detour was well balanced. I liked the medicine beer Detour better than TAR Canada's RB last week hehe.

I was also surprised to see Tingting again. I was like "Wait, she wasn't in the team poster for the SNH48 team!" lol

The little trinkets they collect should be interesting. Especially if they will need all of them on the Final Leg. I assume they have to remember to bring them back with them for every filming block.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: TAR CHINA 4: Ongoing SHOW DIscussion! **contains spoilers**
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
Was there a prize for this leg?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:12:51 AM by G.B. »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
Joe Cheng posted a blog about filming the Hong Kong leg in his Weibo. Of course,  most can't read Chinese, but if you're curious, despite some weird translation you can run it on Google Translate to get the general idea, and his personal insights about racing this leg.
http://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404138167539257617#_0

Not sure if others are doing this, but his one pop-up in my notification tab, and looked like worth sharing.

Was there a prize for this leg?

Yes, can't recall the complete details now. Once I get home, I'll re-run the video to grab the details.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
Nevermind, Wikipedia has it now.

"One-night accommodation to Disney Explorers Lodge, and a one-year supply of Heiheiru drinks, with donations of supplies to the needy."
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Dzony95

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Bring TAR to Serbia!!! (That is Serbian TAR logo)
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »
If anyone who knows/speaks Chinese want to help, I can help him to make English subtitles available!
So, if anyone is interested, just let me know :)

It would go this way: you make transcript with translation from Chinese, and I do the timings and stuff (I have huge experience in subtitles, since I translate TAR and TARC to Serbian).

By the way, it's fine if nobody wants to help, but I am in!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:04:31 PM by Dzony95 »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
Well, that was a very fascinating leg. Zhang Xiaocheng is held up in the Chinese airport for some reason, so Wu Minxia has to run the entire leg by herself. And she did fantastic!

The assumption was that Deng Bin & Wang Xinyu would do a Speed Bump because they were last on the Hong Kong leg, but that turns out was not the case. Does anybody know if they received any penalty for being last in Hong Kong?

Also, I know this version tends to use a lot of really random music, but when Zheng Yuanchang & Wang Likun were doing the Rabbits Detour, it was SO weird to hear music from Nintendogs of all things...

Edit: Found the theatre!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:30:48 PM by G.B. »

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 08:48:24 PM »
That was buck. Zhang XiaoCheng got his VISA issued late, so he was essentially a day behind everyone else. So Wu MinXia was given the choice of racing by herself and risking arriving last or forfeit the leg, and start the following in the last place and would need to perform a Speed Bump in the following leg. Funny how they pretty much revealed during the pit start that this leg would be nom-elim. As an athlete herself, she said she'd never quit.

Racing by herself notwithstanding, she was still able to place 5th, ahead of 2 MM teams.

Surprised there was no penalty for the VarsityV boys that finished last in leg 1, they even got the perk to start the leg at 7th, as the "new team" started at 8th. It's all kind of weird production wise. The reasoning given to why ZhangJike and his dad were not at Leg 1, was due to him being at a tournament, so they were cast, just wasn't available for filming, so it's not a case on invading team like in season 2. And with teams starting only 2-minute part of each other, any potential difference in between was barely noticeable.  Also even though they should've gotten a 2-hour penalty for quitting the 2nd RB, it was made moot, as they arrived last, and that penalty won't be rolled into the start of the next leg.
The reasoning giver for Jike quitting the RB, was that he wasn't willing to try more times, as he hasn't completely recovered from a recent surgery. Wonder if we'll seen any backlash, though I doubt it, he does have a scary army of fans online.

More on the casting changes, some changes on the SNH48 team, as LuTing takes over HuangTinTin spot. They didn't go into the reasoning for the change. So the vet is gone, and we got someone new racing.

Considering how athletic were the MM teams in the previous season, a bit shocked how this season's are mostly fizzling.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
More on the casting changes, some changes on the SNH48 team, as LuTing takes over HuangTinTin spot. They didn't go into the reasoning for the change. So the vet is gone, and we got someone new racing.

Wikipedia says that Lu Ting was no available for filming during the first leg.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:41 PM »
Why is there 2 non-elimination legs in a row? ???

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 10:36:54 PM »
Why is there 2 non-elimination legs in a row? ???

Bro. TAR Vietnam 4 had THREE in a row.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
This was a pretty good Leg. I liked that 2nd Road Block except for the first come, first served-aspect of it. Though it's okay since this was a Non-Elimination anyway.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »
Neither English nor Mandarin Wiki has updated the TARCHIN4 page, so did this leg live up to the glories of S19E08 and S25E04, a.k.a. Northern Europe's greatest nation?

P.S. Not that I expect the low-rent Mainlanders to have afforded it if even the Americans were unable to, but were the teams ever directed by clue towards Tivoli and/or den Lille Havfrue *?

* "The Little Mermaid" in its original language

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
Neither English nor Mandarin Wiki has updated the TARCHIN4 page, so did this leg live up to the glories of S19E08 and S25E04, a.k.a. Northern Europe's greatest nation?

P.S. Not that I expect the low-rent Mainlanders to have afforded it if even the Americans were unable to, but were the teams ever directed by clue towards Tivoli and/or den Lille Havfrue *?

* "The Little Mermaid" in its original language

After 10PM Pacific Time (Don't ask why), you can check out this leg on our own Wiki.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »

Wikipedia says that Lu Ting was no available for filming during the first leg.

Which is very generic, on show, they were quite specific to why ZhangJiKe wasn't present for the 1st leg. Expected more details in both fronts. The interesting part is that the Beijing Press Conference that served as official team reveal, which happened one day after Leg1 was filmed, only featured the official SNH team with LuTing, I think the fact that she didn't participate in Leg 1 was even mentioned at the event.

Nevermind, Wikipedia has it now.

"One-night accommodation to Disney Explorers Lodge, and a one-year supply of Heiheiru drinks, with donations of supplies to the needy."

- The correct phrasing to the second part is "a one-year supply of Heiheiru drinks, WHICH can be donated to charity".
It not a a both situation, rather a "either or".

- The "a one-year supply of Heiheiru drinks, WHICH can be donated to charity" was also the (only) prize given at the end of Leg 2.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
If anyone who knows/speaks Chinese want to help, I can help him to make English subtitles available!
So, if anyone is interested, just let me know :)

It would go this way: you make transcript with translation from Chinese, and I do the timings and stuff (I have huge experience in subtitles, since I translate TAR and TARC to Serbian).

By the way, it's fine if nobody wants to help, but I am in!

Wow I sure would like that!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
Leg 3 Stockholm is today. So what were the tasks on the Copenhagen leg? Still nobody has updated the Wikipedia. I assume the Reality Fan Wiki will have them - when it actually works during the late hours of the night :p

This is a common occurrence on the non-English-language seasons. Due to less editors understanding the language, of course.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
ARI#1 - Bicycle to the Court Theatre Museum, i.e. almost exactly like the start of the Scandinavia-to-Benelux superleg from S19 with the added challenges of pedaling as one teammate sits inside the tandem saddle as well as not being provided with a map and hence having to ask for directions.

RB#1 - Perform H.C. Andersen's "Ugly Duckling" to the standards of an endearing ballet conductor who could pass for the Nana/Great-Auntie of TARCAN2's legendary Meaghan Mikkelson (one of a handful of racers with Danish ancestry, the others being the saintly Jensen sisters Lena and Kristy as well as snowboarder-slaying hero Jeremy Cline a.k.a. Sandy Draghi's boyfriend-turned-husband).

Detour - Redux of S19's "All Hopped Out", now relocated from the boondocks to resplendent Rosenborg Castle right in heart of the city, or S25's "Wedding Cake", except without the delivery aspect and instead converted to "pipe-frost these layers to the satisfaction of the chefs" at La Glace, CPH's oldest-standing bakery.

RB#2 - Go to the Urban Ranger Camp (sic) on the outskirts, cross a tightrope-bridge with circular/separated planks, ring a bell designated by the national flag, and finally return to the starting point in the same manner as before, a classic fear-of-heights challenge.

ARI#2 - Return to the inner city and board the GoBoat in order to search the canals for six scrambled letters spelling the name of the Pit-Stop, N Y H A V N (literally "New Harbour") - without the need for gratuitous bathing suits, it is loosely like S26's hot-tub Rebus from that nation always being mistaken for Denmark.

Pit-Stop - Be greeted by an impersonator of H.C. Andersen in addition to Arisa Cox's "inspiration" for shoddy hosting.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:26:26 PM by Granth »

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »
So leg 3 Stockholm, Sweden, is a exploration on the scandinavia from the past.
Funny that we have both TAR Canada and China airing the same week legs that featured Viking themed tasks, also legs featuring Face-Off.

Show content
And with that leg 4, which is a 2nd Stockholm leg is a exploration of the Scandinavia of today

Start of the Leg - Icebar Stockholm - Teams start one minute apart from each other, following the finishing order from the previous leg. They must retrieve their first clue which is frozen inside a block of ice using the provided tools. Every clue envelope from the this leg includes a piece of map, which is essential to reach the pit stop.

RI- Head to Sjatte Tunnan Restaurant to search for your next clue. -

Face-Off: "Big Viking Eater"
The teams must nominate one racer to eat and another to collect the food. The Face-Off is two fold.
First, both members of the teams that are competing in the face-off, have one minute to fill a plate with food and one HeiHeiru. After the plates are weighed against each other. The team with the heavier plate gets the right of challenge, meaning the "losing" team on the weight of the plate, must have the racer nominated to eat the lighter plate within 5 minutes to win the face-off. If the plate is not consumed in the time limit, the challenging team wins the face-off.

Amazed how very few teams figured the proper strategy for this challenge.

ARI - Plant a MidSummer Tree to receive your next clue.
Following the traditional model provided, decorate a MidSummer Tree appropriate for the celebration. Must be approved by the judge.

Speed Bump - Prepare 30 swedish meatballs

Detour
Viking Warrior or Viking Scholar
Viking Warrior teams must choose a piece of wood, work together to cut a slice to serve as their target and after that each member must hit the target with an Axe.

Viking Scholar teams must translate the phrase " There is no bad weather only bad clothing" into Nordic runes, using the translation board provided with the stones that are over the field.

- A classic Single Uturn board. Haven't seen you in ages.......
That's one of my favorite uses of this power, slowing down and trying to get rid of a strong team that just happens to be behind you.

- RB: "Who will join a skirmish?"
Choose an opponent, face each other on boats, and the goal is to make your opponent fall in the water, using the provided "weapon".

- RI - Assemble the provided map pieces and find the pit stop

PitStop - ?? Museum
Teams receive a horse, which is probably the item they are collecting for Raiders aspect of this season.

1st - Xiu Jie Kai & Alyssa Chia - Prize: One Year Supply of HeiHeiRu Products, which winners can choose to donate for Hope Primary School
2nd - Joseph Cheng & Wang Likun
3rd - FanBingBing & Evonne Hsieh
4th - Wu Minxia & Zhang Xiaocheng
5th - Xu Yang Yuzhuo & Lu Ting SNH48
6th - Zhang Jike &Zhang Chuanming
7th - Qiang Zi & Zhang Xingyue
8th - Deng Bin & Wang Xinyu  VarsityV [Eliminated]