Author Topic: When was first time you knew about The Amazing Race? And getting know about it?  (Read 7020 times)

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
I was bored so I made this thread, move if a similar thread was there anyway. Sorry for my mediocre English.

What was like your experience on first time you've known TAR and getting to know TAR?

So, let begin, I first knew about TAR was when in 2011, I was at Wikipedia searching for The Amazing World of Gumball article, and then I saw a TAR article listing popped up, and at first time I thought that TAR was about car racing. So, sometime later, I first watched TAR with season 19, which at that was airing worldwide (I watched it on AXN Asia) and it was on Leg 9 and I watched them do some tasks at a statue, then Lego Billund, then I switched the channel. Sometime much later, TAR 21 aired, and I only remembered that I watched Leg 6 and 11, and that's it. When I first watched Leg 11, as I wasn't a TAR fan at that time, for some reason, I randomly rooted for Natalie & Nadiya to survive the leg and was disappointed to see that they are eliminated. But at that time, I didn't know what the show was named, on either seasons.

Then years later, when I was watching AXN Asia, I saw an promo of TAR 23, and I was hooked. So, I watched TAR 23 religiously. And I rooted for Ally & Ashley even though they are weak and I didn't care for other teams. And that's time when I joined RFF. So thanks to this, I knew the show's name.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:06:45 PM by TAR456 »
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: When was first time you knew about The Amazing Race?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
I accidentally watched an episode of season 5 in my local TV channel in Hong Kong, when I was only 10 or 11 years old

I was fascinated by queen Mirna  :funny:
Then I found All-star online later on and start to follow TAR since S12  :funny:

Offline Palperro

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • aka Paldog aka Paldog123456
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »
I was at my friend's house and their family watched TAR pretty religiously, so I watched an episode of TAR 16 with them and the rest is history. (I think it was the Germany Intersection one.)
Por ti volaré

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:31:58 AM »
Pretty awesome thread idea! And wow! It brings back memories!

Although I want to say I've been a fan since day one, I can't. I didn't have CBS for years, thus knew nothing about the show for a while. I specifically remember stumbling across a rerun of TAR Season 4 by accident on the Reality TV channel. The task in Italy with the masks. I was in love from that moment on and recorded reruns from this channel and possibly Travel Channel???? or some other channel. I was heartbroken when Dish Network took that DVR.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:39:07 AM »
I first came across Amazing Race during season 5 (great one to start with) and watched faithfully until Family Edition 8. No it wasn't that awful season that put me off - at the time it was on in Fall 2005, I just graduated high school and we were moving cross-country from Ontario to Alberta, which was a big, stressful process. Last I remember is watching an episode of 8 on the motel room TV.

Just kinda forgot about TAR for a lot of years. Then when Amazing Race Canada came along in the summer between 22 and 23, that re-sparked my interest, and I gradually binge-watched all the way from 1-22. And here I am.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:42:32 AM by Maanca »

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »
I did a memory lane post a while ago.

General gist was it started right around the Season 20 Bopper and Mark Speedbump episode.That was the first episode I watched live.

Then, I watched some of TAR 21 live and I was hooked. This was around the time I found RFF too. During TAR 21, it was entertaining but the spoilers for TAR 22 was already out and I was so pumped for that season. :funny:

After TAR 21, I binged watched seasons 1 to 20 in about 2 weeks. Some seasons were harder to watch and I skipped some seasons and episodes here and there. I was a huge fan and I even came up with twists I wanted to see for the show around the time I watched Season 6.

TAR 22 aired and, afterwards, I went international. Australia and Asia. I never could watch/finish Latin America or Israel. Canada started around this time and I loved that show.

TAR 24 almost made me quit the show but TAR 25 saved everything :funny:

I'm a loyal fan of U.S. and Canada TAR and this show has since then dropped below Survivor. It's not my favorite show on CBS anymore; Survivor took that crown.

Still love the race and here I am. Now a fan and detective here and there.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
I first saw it in commercials for upcoming episodes of The Amazing Race 6. I asked my parents what it was, and they said it was "one of those dumb shows like Survivor".

I caught the episode where Don & Mary Jean receive their penalty for stealing the vehicle, but changed the channel to something else.

Then, for whatever reason, I decided to watch the two-hour finale in Xi'an/Hawaii/Chicago all the way through. Then I never missed an episode ever. Dad grew to love it too.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline CanadianOwl

• RFF Full Member
I saw the Vancouver leg of TAR Canada 1 while flipping channels. I then watched a bunch of old seasons online. I did lose interest for a bit (especially when hearing the premise of 26), but then accidentally caught the premiere of 28.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Watching TARLA 1.

Than i went on to watch TAR 15, first season i saw on YouTube. By that time, TAR16 had just finished.

Even though TAR 15 was kinda lame, i liked the original version!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
I was still young back then, but I first came across TAR during the 14th season and I was hooked from then on. So far I've watched all the seasons of the US version except the Family Edition, all Canadian, Australian and Asian versions. My mom got hooked during the 22nd season up to this time. We use the Race as an additional travel guide on our travels.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:44:17 AM by TARUSAFan »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
I first found TAR, during the best season ever, TAR22!

I have then watch a few seasons, here and there on YouTube and I watch all of the Australian versions, 1 and a half seasons of the Canadian version and half of TAR Asia 1.

On the day of the finale of TAR29, I was typing into google 'The Amazing Race 29 Spoilers', I came across this site. I read the spoilers and then set up an account and the rest is history!

EAOWadsy

I was about twelve at the time and I heard about The Amazing Race from my mother actually. I switched on the TV, and it was Season 5 Leg 5 in Cairo, Egypt. I remember watching Colin & Christie climbing the top of the Cairo tower, and Charla & Mirna practically dominating the leg. I saw snippets of the Dubai Leg later that season, and watched the full episode for Leg 10 here in New Zealand, along with the exciting Harbour Bridge task and the entire eleventh leg.

However, I started watching religiously when the Season 6 premiere in Iceland aired here in New Zealand late 2004. Never missed an episode since then, except Berlin, the Hungarian double leg and the Corsica leg of TAR 6.

I remember not being as fond of Season 7 after the first full watch as I was with 6, due to the tasks, locations, Lynn & Alex and the overall enjoyment. Then I felt the same way with 8, obviously... Then with the inferior ninth season compared with the earlier seasons. I knew before long that I would claim TAR 6 as my favourite season, and the title still holds today.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:04:07 AM by EAOWadsy »

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
Probably the first person here to watch it during the first season. I watched the first 5 mins of Leg 12, then went to sleep. The following week, I watched the finale, and I was hooked.

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
I was about ten - twelve years oldish when my local network aired TAR3 Dieselgate episode and I instantly hooked up but unfortunately my mom never allowed me to watch the show because it aired around midnight time. T.T

Then during winter 2013 I randomly saw Charla & Mirna moment on Youtube and I hooked up once again and watch all the TAR season slowly until it just in time for TAR25 live airing.
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Leg 11 (China) of TAR 1.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
TAR 7 South Africa's leg on Indonesian Tv network at midnight, but i started to watch it religiously in TAR 9
what might have been

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Leg one, episode 1 , minute 1.

I was totally and completely hooked by the bungy, have seen every ep.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
It was Saturday morning, nothing to do and I was just switching from one channel to another on TV and suddenly I hear a guy saying the words "travel around the world". It was Phil in Central Park at the beginning of season 1 episode 1.  That was it! I got hooked!
Unfortunately for me the channel was just filling dead air time and it didn't continue so I went on line and found out about TAR. That was about the same time that TAR 16 finished. That same summer I watched all TAR seasons (twice!) and the following fall I watched TAR 17 and since then I haven't missed an episode.
Actually I found RFF at the same time when I was looking on line info about TAR and if the show was still running.

Offline geographynerd

• RFF Not So Newbie
I first found out about it when my history class did an Amazing Race project with speedbumps, roadblocks, team names, and everything. I thought it was such a fun project that I started watching it on TV, it was season 25 episode 1.

Offline Palperro

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • aka Paldog aka Paldog123456
I first found out about it when my history class did an Amazing Race project with speedbumps, roadblocks, team names, and everything. I thought it was such a fun project that I started watching it on TV, it was season 25 episode 1.

I would love to see that rubric/project!
Por ti volaré

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
I remember it was a Saturday night, I decided to stay in instead of going out, and there was absolutely nothing on the tv, it was around 1 AM, and I changed it over to Challange, a UK channel that shows reruns of old game shows.  It was airing TAR 9 Leg 1, and I was hooked.

I remember the exact date - 4th April 2009, coz it was the night before Wrestlemania 25.  :funny:

I watched the remainder of TAR 9 on Youtube (when you could actually find full seasons on there) TAR 14 was mid way through, so I caught up with it, and watched the rest.  Then I went back and watched all the Seasons I'd missed up to that point, and started watching S15 when it started the following September.... Been watching ever since!  :hoot:

Needless to say, deciding to stay in and not have a drunken night that Saturday was a great decision.  :funny: :funny:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster

Me too!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!

Me too!

Please share it!

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
I had just began watching KevJumba on youtube a few days before I found out about the Amazing Race, back in 2012. I then started binge watching a lot of Kevin's videos and I found a recap for the episode where they went bridge jumping in Norway in TAR 17. I was intrigued, so I started watching bootlegs of season 17 and I got really into it, and then I stopped watching when Michael and Kevin got eliminated in Saint Petersburg. Two years later, my dad was out of of town for military and my younger brothers were at school, so my mom and I were alone so I decided to suggest watching the Amazing Race for some reason so we started binging the entirety of season 17, even though I knew who would win because I was stupid and looked at the Wikipedia page for the season. My mom really liked Gary and Mallory so I told her that I knew she came back the next season so we watched 18 (which kind of spoiled 12 & 14-16) and then 19 and then we went back and watching 14-16 (the earlier seasons weren't on Amazon Prime yet) and I got addicted.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
I was flipping through some channels back in 2007 (I was 11) when I happened upon Rob & Amber (particularly Rob) stumbling on spelling the name 'Philippines' (which where I'm from). So I watched continuously to see what'll happen, and ended up rooting for Charla & Mirna because they're the underdogs haha.

When AXN did a marathon of the entire season 11 before airing the finale, I made both of my parents watch it. If they didn't want to, they were going to have to leave the TV area hahahaha

I've been watching every season since and have watched every season since :D
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back